Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Guitar Question

So, some of you Ledgies play guitar, can you help me? I was looking for just a nylon string guitar that is on the skinny side and not to expensive. Do you guys have any ideas? I have an Alverez classical guitar, but is Normal thickness, and I was looking for something skinnier. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Check out the Ibanez GA5TCE

Ibanez GA5TCE

Or...

The Epiphone SST Classic (basically the Epiphone version of the Gibson Chet Atkins nylon string)

Epiphone SST Classic

Both go for under $400 (you can get the Ibanez for under $300)

Last edited by chiliD; 10-27-2008 at 03:49 PM..
Old 10-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Well done Chili! I was gonna recommend the Chet Atkins Epiphone...but I think its out of production eh? You may have to get one on eBay.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Well done Chili! I was gonna recommend the Chet Atkins Epiphone...but I think its out of production eh? You may have to get one on eBay.
No, they're still being made by Epiphone, only without the Chet Atkins nameage or connection.

It's the Gibsons that have stopped production. Apparently the Gibson contract with Chet Atkins ran out a few years ago...hence the stoppage of production. The Atkins heirs re-upped with Gretsch, hence the reissue of the Gretsch Chet Atkins (Tennessee Rose, Country Gentleman, etc) models in the past couple of years.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
No, they're still being made by Epiphone, only without the Chet Atkins nameage or connection.

It's the Gibsons that have stopped production. Apparently the Gibson contract with Chet Atkins ran out a few years ago...hence the stoppage of production. The Atkins heirs re-upped with Gretsch, hence the reissue of the Gretsch Chet Atkins (Tennessee Rose, Country Gentleman, etc) models in the past couple of years.
Ahh! I didnt notice the "Chet Atkins" logo missing! Genius. Great guitars for a good price.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Check out the Ibanez GA5TCE

Or...

The Epiphone SST Classic (basically the Epiphone version of the Gibson Chet Atkins nylon string)

Both go for under $400 (you can get the Ibanez for under $300)
Thanks a lot! What would I ever do without you guys?

I just looked up the two guitars and decided that while it might be fun to get the Epiphone just because it was so close to Lindsey's, I decided that I'll get the Ibanez. Now comes the fun part, finding $250!

Last edited by GoS; 10-28-2008 at 12:35 PM..
Old 10-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoS View Post
Thanks a lot! What would I ever do without you guys?

I just looked up the two guitars and decided that while it might be fun to get the Epiphone just because it was so close to Lindsey's, I decided that I'll get the Ibanez. Now comes the fun part, finding $250!

Well, Christmas is coming up after all...
Old 10-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default My Rick Turner Experience...

Well I thought that I should e-mail Rick Turner about his ampli-coustic series and see about that.
I said
Quote:
Dear Mr. Turner,
I am a big fan of your products (I love the guitars that you make for Lindsey Buckingham!). I was looking around for a guitar and your Ampli-Coustic seems to fit my needs. About how much would it be to have one made? I doubt that I will be able to get one now, but I am extremely interested.

Thanks!
and he said...

Quote:
Dear Zach,

They may be more affordable than you think. Check with Ed Roman in Las Vegas. We recently sent him some of our lowest cost RS and RN models, and I think he'd make you a good deal on one.

My Best,

Rick
I checked out Ed Roman's site and they have a really nice section on the guitars and all. They said that if you want to e-mail him you MUST have a phone number, so now I am trying to decide if I feel like giving this guy my cell phone number.

Anyways, just thought that I'd share.

On Edit: Well, I just looked deeper into the site and found a price of &1,799. A little much, but always an idea!

Last edited by GoS; 10-28-2008 at 03:06 PM..
Old 10-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoS View Post
Well I thought that I should e-mail Rick Turner about his ampli-coustic series and see about that.
I said

and he said...

I checked out Ed Roman's site and they have a really nice section on the guitars and all. They said that if you want to e-mail him you MUST have a phone number, so now I am trying to decide if I feel like giving this guy my cell phone number.

Anyways, just thought that I'd share.

On Edit: Well, I just looked deeper into the site and found a price of &1,799. A little much, but always an idea!
HAHA...I just got over a year long (actually 18 months) ordeal with Rick Turner. NICE guy...nice as can be, but an awful businessman. Several of us own Model 1 electrics here on the Ledge...so we could've told you Turner's stuff is pricey!

If you want an Rennaissance (the nylon or acoustic version) they'll probably set you back at LEAST $1000 on eBay (where they'd be cheapest). My suggestion since you seem like a beginner, you couldn't go wrong with either of the 2 guitars Chili suggested. I have one of the earlier Epiphones with the Chet Atkins signature, and it's a great guitar.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
HAHA...I just got over a year long (actually 18 months) ordeal with Rick Turner. NICE guy...nice as can be, but an awful businessman. Several of us own Model 1 electrics here on the Ledge...so we could've told you Turner's stuff is pricey!

If you want an Rennaissance (the nylon or acoustic version) they'll probably set you back at LEAST $1000 on eBay (where they'd be cheapest). My suggestion since you seem like a beginner, you couldn't go wrong with either of the 2 guitars Chili suggested. I have one of the earlier Epiphones with the Chet Atkins signature, and it's a great guitar.
Oh, I knew that they'd be pretty expensive, but it would be awesome! I heard about your ordeal with Rick Turner and saw your pictures on Flickr (At least I think it was you). I am a beginner, but I feel that I am coming along pretty quickly and owning a Turner would give bragging rights (my friend and band mate has a Tele and a Les Paul BOTH from '69, so I would have one upped him!)
Old 10-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have one of the earlier Epiphones with the Chet Atkins signature, and it's a great guitar.
I looked into purchasing the Epiphone SST. Do you think the tuners are
decent? At that price range it kind of worries me.

Guitars, what an expensive hobby!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post

That's the cool thing about well-made, yet, inexpensive guitars, whatever flaws they have can be fairly cheaply corrected and you'd have an even BETTER guitar.

For example, if you bought an Epiphone Les Paul for...oh, let's say $600...you spend an extra $100 or so replacing (Read: Upgrading) the tuners and another $100 upgrading the pickups...you've spent a total of $800 and probably have a better made guitar than an actual Gibson for 20% of the price. (Read Ed Roman's rant about Gibson necks and you'll see that supposedly Epiphone actually makes a stronger, more well designed guitar than Gibson these days).
Old 10-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's the cool thing about well-made, yet, inexpensive guitars, whatever flaws they have can be fairly cheaply corrected and you'd have an even BETTER guitar.
I've already purchased my expensive guitars, my Gibson SJ-200 being one of them. And I love my American made Strat Plus, not to mention a few others I have. But I've been interested in the Epiphone SST mentioned. I have a Epiphone classical that's cheaper than the SST (non-electric), but it looks to have the same tuners as the SST and that's what's worried me. Personally I have never found a "new" guitar under $500.00 that's decent (in recent years, of course).

I do believe what you said about upgrading them though. That's exactly what I want to do if I can ever find an old Epiphone Genesis. I had one of these in the early '80's, and like a goof I sold it. They are hard to find in good condition, especially in the color I'm looking for.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post

ChiliD is right. Get some Schaller tuners for it (or Grovers) and you'll be all set. (or whatever tuners you want!)
Old 11-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Epiphone SST Classic

I just saw this photo of this year's model of Epiphone SST Classic. Seems they've gone "the extra mile" to get it more like the old Gibson Chet Atkins models by changing the volume & tone bulky knobs to the more Gibson-like "thumb knobs"..which are flatter to the body instead of the normal knobs.