The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:20 PM
Ledgie

Default Green to join Stone The Crows ??

Hello folks!

According to article on encyclopedia.com,

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3430300024.html

where they say

...." He accepted an offer to replace the guitarist in Stone the Crows, but pulled out two days before the band was supposed to debut with Green as its new guitarist".....????

As i remember great Les Harvey died on stage 1972.....

Stone the crows was one of my favor band ever....
My mind just wonder if.....
here is great clip from great band

http://youtu.be/2HtIAy4Vhks
Old 03-05-2015, 05:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Hello folks!

According to article on encyclopedia.com,

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3430300024.html

where they say

...." He accepted an offer to replace the guitarist in Stone the Crows, but pulled out two days before the band was supposed to debut with Green as its new guitarist".....????

As i remember great Les Harvey died on stage 1972.....

Stone the crows was one of my favor band ever....
My mind just wonder if.....
here's what maggie bell had to say about this:
"I met Peter Green in 1972 through Steve Thompson who'd been with John Mayall and who played bass in my band, Stone The Crows. Steve said that Peter had been out of the limelight for somewhile and would be good to get as a replacement for Les Harvey [who died on stage in May 1971 (sic!)]. We picked him up at the station and he had this rucksack and his hair cut really short and looking very healthy. We were supposed to do this festival and we spent six weeks rehearsing at Ronnie Leahy's house. He was playing so well right through rehearsals, and then two days before the festival we got a phone call to say that he couldn't make it. It just wasn't to be. Peter was a very quiet and shy person; he seemed to think that people were looking at him or taking the piss. Fame can be a terrible thing ... Peter wasn't into all that; he'd just as easily sleep on your sofa, he despised money. As long as he had enough to get along, enough for a packet of cigarettes and a couple of beers, he was quite happy."
(according to harry shapiro in mojo magazine, may 1994)

just for truth's sake - les harvey actually died at a soundcheck before a concert at the top rank ballroom in swansea on may 3rd, 1972.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:14 AM
Ledgie

Thanks Lazy Poker,
Wow, 6 (six) weeks rehearsal w/Greeny!!!!
Give me a Time Machine!
So, after they pickup future McCartney bud Jimmy McCulloch all magic from first 2 albums disapear.
Just wonder how might have been w/green god????
If you go to 13 min of this video youll know what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhFZsQvHOqY&sns=em

Long live Green God!
Old 03-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks Lazy Poker,
Wow, 6 (six) weeks rehearsal w/Greeny!!!!
Give me a Time Machine!
as a footnote to the peter green / stone the crows story:
when peter withdrew himself only 2 days before the first gig (at the 1972 lincoln festival), he claimed that he just couldn't face an audience. eventually yes-guitarist steve howe agreed to help out and jumped in for the occasion. (though i don't know if howe stayed on for the remaining tour dates or if these obligations have been fulfilled at all.)

Quote:
So, after they pickup future McCartney bud Jimmy McCulloch all magic from first 2 albums disapear.
well, actually les harvey was the guitarist on ALL FOUR stone the crows albums - jimmy mcculloch only played on 2 tracks of "ontinuous performance" ("good time girl" & "sunset cowboy"). so i don't think you can charge poor jimmy with your opinion concerning stone the crows losing their magic after 2 longplayers. (personally i think the last album is one of their strongest!) anyway, it's safe to say that maggie bell (having been romanticly tied to harvey for years) felt she couldn't keep up the band without her late partner and subsequently opted for a solo career - for better or for worse . . .
Old 03-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Ledgie

I have all 4 STC albums and you are right , Les Harvey is the guitar man.
I guess i was impressed with live footage from Ode to John Law era, didnt like so much w/Jimmy (R.I.P.)

On the album sleeve says

Les Harvey was electrocuted by his guitar and died on stage during a gig @ Swansea`s
Top Rank Ballroom May 3 , 1972 . (R.I.P.)

.....peace
Old 03-08-2015, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have all 4 STC albums and you are right , Les Harvey is the guitar man.
I guess i was impressed with live footage from Ode to John Law era, didnt like so much w/Jimmy (R.I.P.)

On the album sleeve says

Les Harvey was electrocuted by his guitar and died on stage during a gig @ Swansea`s
Top Rank Ballroom May 3 , 1972 . (R.I.P.)

.....peace
no probs at all, my friend! we're all here to exchange infos and points of views, and personal opinions more often than not are as different as we all are - simple as that.

just the same there are many different sources of information on one and the same topic. but not everything that is printed on paper or makes its appearance in headlines or on the net is true - with all imaginable percentages of truth.

for a long time i also thought that les harvey died in front of an audience in swansea. it seems to be confirmed, though, that this accident (by simultaneously touching the mike and the guitar, one of them not being grounded properly) occurred during the soundcheck before the concert, which never happened in the end. but i'm sure you'll agree with me that it sounds far more SENSATIONAL to sell this electrocution "on stage" as "during the concert", right?!

apropos: that mama cass elliott (from the mamas & the papas) choked to death on a sandwich may be popular belief for ages just as well, but it's simply not true! and if you check out this board here closely (if you haven't done already), you'll read more than enough about similar cases concerning the mac in general, or its members specifically (no electrocutions or sandwiches, though - as far as i know). but see, that's what unscrupulous journalists can do for you . . .

peace - martin