Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
My brother left on one of 500 boats going from Lafayette (about 100 West) on an emissary to help with the rescue operations. I am a little terrified for his safety. He is there though and was sobbing at the horror.

Dear God - Show us the way back.
God bless him and all those like him.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i have been watching the news coverage all day. this is so heartbreaking.

strand your brother is in my thoughts.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9148873/

Updated: 8:42 p.m. ET Aug. 31, 2005
VIENNA, Austria - From papal prayers to telegrams from China, the world reacted with an outpouring of compassion Wednesday for the victims of Hurricane Katrina in messages tinged by shock that a disaster of this scale could occur in the United States.

Islamic extremists rejoiced in America’s misfortune, giving the storm a military rank and declaring in Internet chatter that “Private” Katrina had joined the global jihad, or holy war. With “God’s help,” they declared, oil prices would hit $100 a barrel this year.

Venezuela’s government, which has had tense relations with Washington, offered humanitarian aid and fuel if requested.

The storm was seen as an equalizer — proof that any country, weak or strong, can be victimized by a natural disaster. Images of flood-ravaged New Orleans earned particular sympathy in central Europe, where dozens died in raging floodwaters only days ago.

“Nature proved that no matter how rich and economically developed you are, you can’t fight it,” says Danut Afasei, a local official in Romania’s Harghita county, where flooding killed 13 people last week.

Mourning for 'European' city
Throughout Europe, concerned citizens lamented the loss of life and the damage caused to New Orleans, often described as one of North America’s most “European” cities.

French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder sent messages of sympathy to President Bush. Chirac, who has famously quarreled with Bush over the Iraq war, addressed this letter, “Dear George.”

Pope Benedict XVI said he was praying for victims of the “tragic” hurricane while China’s President Hu Jintao expressed his “belief that that the American people will definitely overcome the natural disaster and rebuild their beautiful homeland.”

Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II also sent a message to Bush saying she was “deeply shocked and saddened” at the devastation caused by the hurricane and expressing her condolences, “especially to the families of those who have lost their lives, to the injured and to all who have been affected by this terrible disaster.”

The U.S. Embassy in Bern, Switzerland — a capital at the foot of the Alps hit by flooding last week — said calls were rushing in from Swiss individuals and institutions looking for a way to donate to relief efforts.

“We are getting calls from the Swiss public looking to express their condolences, (and) people are also asking for an account number where they can make donations,” said spokesman Daniel Wendell.

Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz called President Bush offering condolences to the victims of the disaster.

On Monday, Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources Ali Al-Naimi said that Saudi Arabia was prepared to immediately increase its crude oil production to ease the effects of Hurricane Katrina and stabilize world crude prices.

Arguing over aid
The Internet-edition of the Vienna daily Der Standard had recorded 820 postings commenting on a front-page story on the hurricane. One posting asked where money could be donated to the victims, but the question sparked a debate about whether a rich country like the United States needed such aid.

A response argued that hurricane victims who are poor still needed support.

Amid the sympathy, however, there was criticism.

As U.S. military engineers struggled to shore up breached levees, experts in the Netherlands expressed surprise that New Orleans’ flood systems failed to restrain the raging waters.

With half of the country’s population of 16 million living below sea level, the Netherlands prepared for a “perfect storm” soon after floods in 1953 killed 2,000 people. The nation installed massive hydraulic sea walls.

Amid sympathy, criticism
“I don’t want to sound overly critical, but it’s hard to imagine that (the damage caused by Katrina) could happen in a Western country,” said Ted Sluijter, spokesman for the park where the sea walls are exhibited. “It seemed like plans for protection and evacuation weren’t really in place, and once it happened, the coordination was on loose hinges.”

The sympathy was muted in some corners by a sense that the United States reaped what it sowed, since the country is seen as the main contributor to global warming.

Cosmic Log
Storm stirs trans-Atlantic eco-tempest

Joern Ehlers, a spokesman for World Wildlife Fund Germany, said global warming had increased the intensity of hurricanes.

“The Americans have a big impact on the greenhouse effect,” Ehlers said.

But Harlan L. Watson, the U.S. envoy for negotiations on climate change, dismissed talk of a link between global warming and the strength of storms.

“Our scientists are telling us right now that there’s not a linkage,” he said in Geneva. “I’ll rely on their information.”

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Thanks darlin' - I am glad I was wrong

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-31-2005, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreammms
i have been watching the news coverage all day. this is so heartbreaking.

strand your brother is in my thoughts.
Thanks!!!!! (lbelle1214 too)

He is back safe - he was also able to determine that his house is still standing and with little damage.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks darlin' - I am glad I was wrong
I wasn't tryin' to prove you that way!!!

I'll be praying for your brother in all of this. I'm sure he'll be physically fine, however, he may be a different man when he gets home.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998
I wasn't tryin' to prove you that way!!!

I'll be praying for your brother in all of this. I'm sure he'll be physically fine, however, he may be a different man when he gets home.

His main comment was the horrific, putrid smell - and I'll leave it at that.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

LOOORD CHILD - Did anyone see Nancy Grace this evening - she was like "Anderson - do you see what the Fed's take out of your paycheck every month - WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY IN ALL THIS - THEY SHOULD BE THERE" or something like that

To be fair - the supplies are on the way and many have been distributed. Apparantly, not enough.

Also, I believe Nancy was choking up while commenting off camera and Anderson looked as if he had been crying as well. Can't say I blame them.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
LOOORD CHILD - Did anyone see Nancy Grace this evening - she was like "Anderson - do you see what the Fed's take out of your paycheck every month - WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY IN ALL THIS - THEY SHOULD BE THERE" or something like that

To be fair - the supplies are on the way and many have been distributed. Apparantly, not enough.

Also, I believe Nancy was choking up while commenting off camera and Anderson looked as if he had been crying as well. Can't say I blame them.
Its horrific. For the city to have been left so vulnerable to a hurricane is inexcusable, IMO. Talk is cheap, the work should have been done a long time ago. The technology is there, in use in the Netherlands. This is very very sad. I'm sure there are many officials having sleepless nights over their inaction on this. I know it is really no one's fault it just burns me that it could have been prevented. I'm so so sad for the loss of life and homes.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
. . . I know it is really no one's fault it just burns me that it could have been prevented. I'm so so sad for the loss of life and homes.
BS - I would LOVE to know how many politicians and their friends through brother in law deals have made millions off of this over the years by submitting plan after plan after plan when they damn well knew they would never be executed. Though some things have been done, apparently it was not enough despite all the planning and BS talk.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
BS - I would LOVE to know how many politicians and their friends through brother in law deals have made millions off of this over the years by submitting plan after plan after plan when they damn well knew they would never be executed. Though some things have been done, apparently it was not enough despite all the planning and BS talk.
Gross. I meant no one in particular was responsible. Do you think these people even have a conscience or am I overestimating them? Beaurocracy at work, what a beauty. You must be so tormented. I am and I am not from there.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Gross. I meant no one in particular was responsible. Do you think these people even have a conscience or am I overestimating them? Beaurocracy at work, what a beauty. You must be so tormented. I am and I am not from there.
I am sickened. I truly love that city. I was there twice in August, which was a strech for me. I am so glad I did it though as I will not get back there for a long time now and it will not be the same when I do.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Its horrific. For the city to have been left so vulnerable to a hurricane is inexcusable, IMO.
No matter how wonderful we think we are, no matter how tall we build our skyscrapers, no matter how fast our jet planes fly, no matter how many hearts we transplant or sheep we clone or tumors we treat. . . . Nature smashes us under her boot heel.

But back to Nawlins. Another factor the politicos & the scientists are going to consider (if they haven't already done so) is the continuing compaction of the delta sediments on which the city is built. So the city (which is already 6 feet below sea level) will continue to go down in elevation while the sea level stays where it is or rises. Those levees they want to rebuild are going to have to be pretty damn tall.

One scientist, Roy Dokka, got some funding from NOAA for a study. He says, "Subsidence in the Gulf Coast region is largely due to the natural earth process of tectonic subsidence, which cannot be controlled by mankind, but if we know about it, we can plan around its effects."

The Houston Geological Society is hosting a conference: "Coastal Subsidence, Sea Level & the Future of the Gulf Coast" Nov. 3, 4 & 5, 2005, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. somewhere in Houston. Perfect timing! Any of you guys in the Houston area should go -- at least to some of the talks or panels. (Three full days of geologists gabbing is way too much for anyone.)

Of course, Stevie was wrong. Things DO change, especially geologically. At one point, Cape Girardeau, Missouri, WAS the "Gulf Coast."

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-31-2005, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I am unclear on that. I know much of the Gulf Coast was ordered to evacuate, but did not. In any event, that part of the world is not flooded in any significant way compared to NOLA and the surrounding area. So, the logic behind the delay rescue time is not as applicable, though it certainly there.
Of course, I am here to help:
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1001052870

Biloxi Newspaper Slams Relief Effort, Begs for Help

By Greg Mitchell

Published: August 31, 2005 10:15 PM ET

NEW YORK The Sun Herald of Biloxi, Miss., in an editorial today, criticized the relief effort in its ravaged area so far, and told officials and the nation-at-large: "South Mississippi needs your help."

It angrily revealed: "While the flow of information is frustratingly difficult, our reporters have yet to find evidence of a coordinated approach to relieve pain and hunger or to secure property and maintain order. People are hurting and people are being vandalized.

"Yet where is the National Guard, why hasn't every able-bodied member of the armed forces in South Mississippi been pressed into service?"

Pointedly, it declared that earlier today, "reporters listening to horrific stories of death and survival at the Biloxi Junior High School shelter looked north across Irish Hill Road and saw Air Force personnel playing basketball and performing calisthenics."

It added: "We need the president to back up his declaration of a disaster with a declaration of every man and woman under his command will do whatever is necessary to deal with that disaster."

The newspaper has managed to publish two print editions this week as well as keep its Web site updated.

Here is the text of the editorial.

The coastal communities of South Mississippi are desperately in need of an unprecedented relief effort.
We understand that New Orleans also was devastated by Hurricane Katrina, but surely this nation has the resources to rescue both that metropolitan and ours.

Whatever plans that were in place to deal with such a natural disaster have proven inadequate. Perhaps destruction on this scale could not have been adequately prepared for.

But now that it has taken place, no effort should be spared to mitigate the hurricane's impact.

The essentials -- ice, gasoline, medicine -- simply are not getting here fast enough.

We are not calling on the nation and the state to make life more comfortable in South Mississippi, we are calling on the nation and the state to make life here possible.

We would bolster our argument with the number of Katrina casualties confirmed thus far, but if there is such a confirmed number, no one is releasing it to the public. This lack of faith in the publics' ability to handle the truth is not sparing anyone's feelings, it is instead fueling terrifying rumors.

While the flow of information is frustratingly difficult, our reporters have yet to find evidence of a coordinated approach to relieve pain and hunger or to secure property and maintain order.

People are hurting and people are being vandalized.

Yet where is the National Guard, why hasn't every able-bodied member of the armed forces in South Mississippi been pressed into service?

On Wednesday reporters listening to horrific stories of death and survival at the Biloxi Junior High School shelter looked north across Irish Hill Road and saw Air Force personnel playing basketball and performing calisthenics.

Playing basketball and performing calisthenics!

When asked why these young men were not being used to help in the recovery effort, our reporters were told that it would be pointless to send military personnel down to the beach to pick up debris.

Litter is the least of our problems. We need the president to back up his declaration of a disaster with a declaration of every man and woman under his command will do whatever is necessary to deal with that disaster.

We need the governor to provide whatever assistance is at his command.

We certainly need our own county and city officials to come together and identify the most pressing needs of their constituents and then allocate resources to meet those needs. We appreciate the stress that theses elected and appointed officials have been under since the weekend but they must do a better job restoring public confidence in their ability to meet this challenge.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But, that is not W - W has ordered all available means to be used In essence, this is FEMA not utilizing all sources despite what W ordered.

Also - what does that have to do with the order to evacuate and the people ignoring it or it not be given - which is what I thought we were talking about?

Old 08-31-2005, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
But, that is not W - W has ordered all available means to be used In essence, this is FEMA not utilizing all sources despite what W ordered.

Also - what does that have to do with the order to evacuate and the people ignoring it or it not be given - which is what I thought we were talking about?
You said you were unclear. I was trying for clarity.