The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-29-2018, 01:35 PM
lovethemac1's Avatar
lovethemac1 lovethemac1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: center of Canada
Posts: 591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Chris and Brett Tuggle are twins.
OMG!!!! Brilliant!!!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-29-2018, 01:58 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
I have actually. I love Bad Journey although I find some of the other tracks lyrically weak.

Actually here’s a really controversial one - I think the best tracks on ITM are the ones her nephew wrote by himself (Northern Star/Calumny).
That doesn't surprise me. Those two songs are great. And her performances of them are inspired.

"You Are" has REALLY lame lyrics. But then so does "That's How I Feel". Christine isn't Joni Mitchell. I can live with "That's How I Feel" but I can't get past the "blind man who now can see" simile in "You Are."

I love the lyrics to "Forgiveness" and "So Sincere."
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-29-2018, 09:14 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is online now
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Here's one--I can't stand Christine's photo shoots for the covers of The Dance and In The Meantime.
far, far better than her photos for the cover of BuckVie.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-29-2018, 09:15 PM
DownOnRodeo's Avatar
DownOnRodeo DownOnRodeo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
Why is that? I never considered them for very long but theyre not too bad. The smile comes off as plastered-on for ITM I suppose.
Neither of them look very much like her at all, IMO.

And on The Dance cover she looks uncomfortable, unduly angular, and sort of awkwardly squished into the frame. Granted, that was a weird cover in the first place.

I just feel that she has such a beautiful and iconic look when she's not made up to hell and back or put in awkward poses. (On Meantime her body isn't even facing the camera! What is this meant to be--a yoga DVD?)

I regret being stereotypical and talking about her appearance, but it's always bothered me.

I would have liked an FM album cover that made more use of Christine and Stevie's faces, because there's so few megabands to have two female members. Mirage is the closest I guess. They should have done so for Behind The Mask, not put some absolutely random woman on the cover! #branding_mishaps
__________________
Joe
"There were odd sounds in Milwaukee."
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-29-2018, 09:20 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Neither of them look very much like her at all, IMO.

And on The Dance cover she looks uncomfortable, unduly angular, and sort of awkwardly squished into the frame. Granted, that was a weird cover in the first place.

I just feel that she has such a beautiful and iconic look when she's not made up to hell and back or put in awkward poses. (On Meantime her body isn't even facing the camera! What is this meant to be--a yoga DVD?)

I regret being stereotypical and talking about her appearance, but it's always bothered me.

I would have liked an FM album cover that made more use of Christine and Stevie's faces, because there's so few megabands to have two female members. Mirage is the closest I guess. They should have done so for Behind The Mask, not put some absolutely random woman on the cover! #branding_mishaps
The inside photo of Christine from ITM, the one with her facing us squarely on in front of a door— that photo should have been used for the cover. It’s a great pic and it looks like her.

The Dance is the worst album cover, period. They ll look ridiculous on it.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-29-2018, 11:25 PM
DownOnRodeo's Avatar
DownOnRodeo DownOnRodeo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,049
Default

Oh, here's a MAJOR gripe I have, yet I've never seen someone else mention it (although surely some people have), so it may just be a perfect item for this thread.

Skies The Limit

Um... what?
When Lindsey left in 1987 did the band suddenly become completely illiterate??

Even the lyrics of the actual song say "SKY IS".
Where did they get this title from??

Quote:
The sky is the limit now
We can hit it on the nail
And when we do
I'll think about you
How can we fail
The sky is the limit
Oh, the sky is the limit
__________________
Joe
"There were odd sounds in Milwaukee."
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-30-2018, 12:04 AM
NurseDJackson NurseDJackson is offline
Junior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 25
Default

Loving these comments! Love Xtine McVie, too... though, like other have noted, sometimes she doesn't ever seem to go far enough. There's always a slight detachment with her. That being said...

Don't know how unpopular these would be, but:
—The pre-LBified "Hold Me" is incredible and would have been a hit with all that good-timey rockin' and SN/CMcV harmonizing. The released version obvs brings it into the present/future, but it was such a great 70s-jam it would have been nice to hear it that way from the start (anyone else suspect the LBification had a lot to do with pulling out SN's voice... FM never really let the two of them "join forces"...prob would have been too big an ego-blow to all three guys). The addition of the male voices doing the "come on and" is key, though.

—Love her Mirage songs! "Love In Store" is a favorite! "Only Over You" is also wonderful, as is "Wish You Were Here" (add "Hold Me" and they might be her strongest set of songs in one place, which is tough bc her Tango songs are also stellar)...

—"Wish You Were Here" definitely quote/cribs/calls back to "Silver Springs" in its opening piano part.

—Some of her Chicken Shack stuff is better than what she was doing with FM until SN/LB joined. Some of her early FM vocals are WEIRD. (Love "Blues is a Woman" and other Chicken Shack songs)


Maybe a little more unpopular:
—Sometimes I wonder what she'd be like if she did have more of a "spark"... she can be rote and kind of clinical, even when she sometime juxtaposes opposites in weird and interesting ways (how "Don't Stop" can be a very positive message and at the same time cynical, "if you life was bad to you/just think what TOMORROW WILL DO)"... Like how she said once that if she didn't write it in 30 minutes she'd give up and move on. Imagine how awesome she'd be if she worked a little harder LOL.

AND THE REAL UNPOPULAR OPINION:
—I don't think this new drama is entirely SN/Mick F at all. CMcV has SOMETHING to do with this, beyond being a member of FM.

Surely all this hand/face action from the CBS interview isn't because she's mad about LB being "fired"...https://ibb.co/ek6bXf
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-30-2018, 10:56 AM
vivfox's Avatar
vivfox vivfox is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDJackson View Post
AND THE REAL UNPOPULAR OPINION:
—I don't think this new drama is entirely SN/Mick F at all. CMcV has SOMETHING to do with this
Of course. As MANY of us have stated before, she could have put a stop to this whole fiasco had she put her foot down and walked out the door with Lindsey. Then FM would not have been able to continue even though they probably would have, knowing Mick and how he operates. But with Lindsey and Chris both gone, Fleetwood Mac would just be Stevie Nicks' backup band and she already has one of those. So we blame Christine as much as the other two. Now even though I just agreed with you I do want to make it clear that I have chosen to forgive all of them and move forward in life. In this post I'm just rehashing history, and that is all.
__________________
 photo d754aa6e-1605-473c-895b-9665a3f17371_zpsrtovtrei.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-30-2018, 12:17 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Of course. As MANY of us have stated before, she could have put a stop to this whole fiasco had she put her foot down and walked out the door with Lindsey. Then FM would not have been able to continue even though they probably would have, knowing Mick and how he operates. But with Lindsey and Chris both gone, Fleetwood Mac would just be Stevie Nicks' backup band and she already has one of those. So we blame Christine as much as the other two. Now even though I just agreed with you I do want to make it clear that I have chosen to forgive all of them and move forward in life. In this post I'm just rehashing history, and that is all.
Then blame John, too. All four of them made the decision to continue on.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-30-2018, 02:36 PM
NurseDJackson NurseDJackson is offline
Junior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Of course. As MANY of us have stated before, she could have put a stop to this whole fiasco had she put her foot down and walked out the door with Lindsey. Then FM would not have been able to continue even though they probably would have, knowing Mick and how he operates. But with Lindsey and Chris both gone, Fleetwood Mac would just be Stevie Nicks' backup band and she already has one of those. So we blame Christine as much as the other two. Now even though I just agreed with you I do want to make it clear that I have chosen to forgive all of them and move forward in life. In this post I'm just rehashing history, and that is all.
Agree 100%. I really only wrote that because once a few weeks ago I posited that the situation couldn't possibly be the one so readily and disgustingly being discussed and I was shot down for the mere suggestion that either of the McVies could have an opinion/say. And many comments I read seemed almost willful in their refusal to imagine this as a professional and/or corporate and/or marketing issue. In other words, that either McVie could or would have some part in this. Writing it at all had more to do with cutting into the abhorrent "take sides" arguments all over the place than any feelings I might have.

I for one am really happy with what's come out of this.

Personally, I was over any trepidation as soon as I saw the setlist and the videos from the first show (many of which I think you shared—thank you, btw). That Ellen appearance was a disaster and was what brought me back to the message board to see what was up...

It's been great to revisit all their music and I listened to Kiln House for the first time ever after hearing that great Tell Me All The Things You Do!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:38 PM
NurseDJackson
This message has been deleted by NurseDJackson. Reason: duplicate
  #41  
Old 10-30-2018, 02:49 PM
NurseDJackson NurseDJackson is offline
Junior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Then blame John, too. All four of them made the decision to continue on.
Absolutely. See my reply to the previous comment.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-30-2018, 05:48 PM
jwd jwd is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Fleetucky
Posts: 3,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
OMG!!!! Brilliant!!!
Glad someone else sees it.


http://store.waddywachtelinfo.com/au...com&copied=YES
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-30-2018, 08:33 PM
Murrow Murrow is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
That doesn't surprise me. Those two songs are great. And her performances of them are inspired.

"You Are" has REALLY lame lyrics. But then so does "That's How I Feel". Christine isn't Joni Mitchell. I can live with "That's How I Feel" but I can't get past the "blind man who now can see" simile in "You Are."

I love the lyrics to "Forgiveness" and "So Sincere."
Actually for me, Feel About You was a return to the sense of fun she had in songs like Sugar Daddy (another controversial opinion, I enjoy that song) even if the rhythm track did sound a bit 1982.
__________________
Reuniting the Rumours line-up just produced 20 years of virtual silence. If Stevie didn't like the heat she should have quit the kitchen.

I know many will disagree - I have no desire to quarrel.

Peace and love everyone
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-30-2018, 09:00 PM
vivfox's Avatar
vivfox vivfox is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDJackson View Post
Personally, I was over any trepidation as soon as I saw the setlist and the videos from the first show (many of which I think you shared—thank you, btw). That Ellen appearance was a disaster and was what brought me back to the message board to see what was up...

It's been great to revisit all their music and I listened to Kiln House for the first time ever after hearing that great Tell Me All The Things You Do!
You're welcome about the video's though I wasn't at the concerts myself. My job is to copy and paste for the world. I am thrilled that one song convinced you to listen to Kiln House. There are so many wonderful songs in FM's pre-1975 catalog.
__________________
 photo d754aa6e-1605-473c-895b-9665a3f17371_zpsrtovtrei.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-30-2018, 09:10 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
Actually for me, Feel About You was a return to the sense of fun she had in songs like Sugar Daddy (another controversial opinion, I enjoy that song) even if the rhythm track did sound a bit 1982.
I love both songs tremendously.

But I was referring to the lyrics, something you brought up in an earlier post. The lyrics to "Feel About You" are not qualitatively different than any number of songs on ITM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Fleetwood Mac Signed Photo Stevie Nicks Mick Fleetwood Christie McVee John McVee
$799.99
Fleetwood Mac Signed Photo Stevie Nicks Mick Fleetwood Christie McVee John McVee pictureStevie Nicks autograph. Signature display. Fleetwood Mac. Bella Donna.
$349.0
Stevie Nicks autograph. Signature display. Fleetwood Mac. Bella Donna.  pictureStar Trek TNG Mick Fleetwood autograph card Rare WoW Mac John McVie Stevie Nicks
$149.99
Star Trek TNG Mick Fleetwood autograph card Rare WoW Mac John McVie Stevie Nicks pictureHeineken heavy vinyl banner Stevie Nicks double sided 23" + 55" hard to find..
$99.0
Heineken heavy vinyl banner Stevie Nicks double sided 23Stevie Nicks Autograph Photo COA
$95.0
Stevie Nicks Autograph Photo COA picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved