The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:28 AM
Ledgie

Default Release the New Album Without Stevie...

I never thought i would say it, but, I vote to release the new album without Stevie.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

That wont happen. No way no how. They want Stevie to do the 2 year farewell tour. If they would record without her, I don't see her suddenly going on the road with them to promote an album she did not record.

Stevie will come around and will record this album. This is Fleetwood Mac after all. This pattern happens EVERY time an album is coming up.

Stevie threatened to leave the band in 1976 if Lindsey's "Shaking up" line was in GYOW.

Stevie threatened to leave the band in 1979 if the new album was called "Tusk"

Stevie threatened to blackmail the band and tell Rolling Stone she had nothing to do with Tango in the night in 1987

Must I go on?
Old 08-05-2016, 05:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

She will do it at some point and they cannot release a Fleetwood Mac album without Stevie Nicks on it. That's ridiculous and not many people would buy it.

Simple answer. No they shouldn't.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They should. But they won't.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Since 1967, there have been numerous groups of people with different faces that have been called "Fleetwood Mac", all with varying degrees of success and artistic credibility. The output has ranged from stellar (Kiln House) to iconic (Rumours) to groundbreaking (Tusk) to forgettable, bland and generic (Behind The Mask). Now that we've finally had the ICONIC Rumours lineup back together, I'm just NOT interested in a product without the COMPLETE Rumours 5, ESPECIALLY the 3 leads. If you're going to record a record WITHOUT Lindsey, Christine or Stevie, you might as well call the band something else and tour as the opening act for REO SPEEDWAGON (Time). As much as I ADORE Stevie Nicks, I'm sorry to say that's she's been a spoiled brat for most of her life. She likes to be catered to, pampered, showered in praised and BEGGED. Most of the "yes people" that she surrounds herself with do this (including Mick because he always needs cash). I just don't think Lindsey and Chris are very good at stroking her ego, thus the hold out. I assume
that after she's begged enough, she'll FINALLY come into
the studio at the END, lay down some background vocals on Chris and Lindsey's songs, re-record 3 of her old demos (Julia) and call it a day. The huge tour will follow for the cash grab. So, ok folks, let the begging chess game begin, the High Priestess is waiting. You know what to tell her. Better hurry before she runs for her life with the Mad Hatter again.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I absolutely agree. Release the album without Stevie, release it soon. Supposedly there's quite a lot of material already recorded, so put out an album now without Stevie, and then in 2017 they can put out another album with her if she finally comes around to wanting to do the album.

I don't buy the argument that no one will buy an album without Stevie. There is a very large fan base for this band and not everyone worships at the feet of Stevie. I think there are a lot of people (myself included) who are intrigued by what the Buckingham/McVie duo combo would come up with. Historically, most of their hits have been Christine songs, and if they have a hit with a Christine song from the new album it will boost sales of the album, whether Stevie is on the record or not.

As for a big tour after an album is released, it's pretty obvious that they would only play a couple of songs from a new album, so Stevie's absence from that album won't matter. She can either just leave the stage or rattle her tambourine and hum into the mike while Chris & Lindsey are doing their songs from the new album.

Last edited by nicepace; 08-05-2016 at 10:27 PM..
Old 08-05-2016, 12:04 PM

If she doesn't want to do it, then just release the music without her. It's that simple.

I don't understand why she wouldn't want to be a part of the band that propelled her into stardom. I guess people make everything about themselves. That's the worst thing you can do as an artist.

She tries so hard to stay in the limelight... forgetting why she is an artist in the first place.

One of the reasons why I love Christine so much is that she makes the band better. She creates and groves her way as an artist. She never cared about the limelight and yet... her return put FMac on the tour map in 2014.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Come on guys. They must know that she'll eventually do it otherwise they'd be voicing a lot more anger than this. It's clear that they have some kind of future plan for the recorded music so STOP PANICKING!!!
Old 08-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
That's ridiculous and not many people would buy it.
The "not many people would buy it" argument seems irrelevant to me. Album sales are inconsequential at this point. And wouldn't impact their nostalgia tour one way or another.

They could release the album and promote the tour as a "farewell" tour not a [INSERT NAME OF NEW ALBUM] tour and the concert seats would still get taken.

Michele
Old 08-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh yeah, as if Stevie would pass on the album but do a massive tour. I think you guys need to chill out a bit and be even more patient because there will be new music eventually and on what format and when I don't know but we'll get it. JESUS!!!
Old 08-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I don't understand why she wouldn't want to be a part of the band that propelled her into stardom.
Do you think it's that much different than when Lindsey, in 1987, didn't want to be part of the band that propelled him into stardom? Like everyone, they ultimately have to live their lives for themselves.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Do you think it's that much different than when Lindsey, in 1987, didn't want to be part of the band that propelled him into stardom? Like everyone, they ultimately have to live their lives for themselves.
At least he didn't hold them up and left the band.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As I said in another thread, there is precedent for releasing an album without one of the vocalists without that vocalist leaving the band. Jeremy Spencer didn't have any songs on "Then Play On" and barely played on the album but was still a member of the band.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-05-2016, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The "not many people would buy it" argument seems irrelevant to me. Album sales are inconsequential at this point. And wouldn't impact their nostalgia tour one way or another.

They could release the album and promote the tour as a "farewell" tour not a [INSERT NAME OF NEW ALBUM] tour and the concert seats would still get taken.

Michele

You are spot on. In the age of streaming and youtube, few artists move millions of units anymore. Fleetwood Mac can make any album they want, but it won't sell over 500,000 units. A million units would be aiming high. For dinosaur acts like The Mac, album sales don't make one bit of difference--concert seats will be filled. Moreover, 85% of people sitting in those seats don't care one bit about a NEW album. That's the sorry state of the music business nowadays.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
At least he didn't hold them up and left the band.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
As I said in another thread, there is precedent for releasing an album without one of the vocalists without that vocalist leaving the band. Jeremy Spencer didn't have any songs on "Then Play On" and barely played on the album but was still a member of the band.
So then they are holding themselves up; Stevie isn't.

Last edited by MikeInNV; 08-05-2016 at 02:11 PM..