Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
"Fleetwood Mac" is the main draw.
And while I agree that Stevie's absence would (and did) hurt sales, the same is true of Lindsey.

They are both considered by the "casual fans" (and even some of the more diehard fans), to be extremely essential to Fleetwood Mac.
As is Christine.

The presence of all three will almost always assure high numbers... a combination of any two of the three will also be quite successful, though not quite as huge... but if the band were down to just one (or, as has happened, none) of the three, then sales would definitely hurt.
And I believe that would be true even if that "one" happened to be Stevie. It has been speculated, and I wholeheartedly agree, that a Fleetwood Mac tour with only Stevie, would most likely sell only slightly better than one of her solo tours.
So while she sells to a respectable amount of people as a solo act, she doesn't acheive the numbers Fleetwood Mac can and does with Lindsey and/or Christine also present.
Wow. Welcome tot he dark side, Le Stew. You took the words outta my mouth.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cour
Would you like me to point out the negative ones, even after the quotes from Stevie were presented?
I have to agree. It seems to me that some people won't allow for anyone but Stevie to be "the best," even when it comes to a stupid argument like finances. Stevie has said that Lindsey is the richest, yet there are those out there who just will not accept it and still say "No, you are, Stevie." My word.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
C'mon, dude! Do you honestly think she was saying that in all seriousness? We all know she loves to joke aorund a bit in interviews, there's no way she's being serious. I'll be the first to say that Lindsey is the wealthiest, but Miss Nicks isn't exactly so broke that she's selling her boots on Melrose Ave. Couldn't qualify for a mortgage? Please. She was joking, if anything.
Yes, I do think she was serious. Mick and other artists went bankrupt and I have no reason to believe that Stevie's cocaine addiction combined with excess spending led her to deplete her finanaces. I also think the statement made in the context of the article leads me to believe she was serious in her statement.

Like I said, I don't like speculating about their income but we don't know how her money was spent and what effect her spending on drugs and a lavish lifestyle (supporting friends) might have impacted her finances. It would not be unthinkable that she was serious and we also don't know what type of house ("a very special house") or mortage she was looking at, or where her money was invested and perhaps she was not liquid enough to qualify for a particular mortgage. She was also saying that her mother was warning her about doing this so perhaps her mother was being a bit over cautious, as mothers can be

The point of the reference to the article was she did not seem to be in the best shape financially. She also stated at the time of the Dance that they were looking to put something away for their future. Her career had been in a state of decline before 1994 and perhaps her conservative view of her finances was coming from her not knowing if and when her career and income would rebound. As much as any of the band members would have loved the success of the Dance, (Enchanted, TISL)and SYW, none of the them could have predicted how financially successful those projects would be in 1994.

USA Today, August 16, 1994

Nicks Shedding Gypsy Ways
by Shawn Sell

COLUMBIA, Md. - Like a 70’s flashback, Stevie Nicks is on stage again.

But behind her dated Dickensian, style - she loves those platform boots and fringed shawls so much she grocery shops in them - is a 46-year-old woman making some 90’s changes.

Such as taking a bus on her current Street Angel tour instead of a private jet. "It's cost-cutting," admits rock'n'roll's gypsy princess. "A difference between $700 a day or $5,000 a day."She stopped smoking "December 12" she says, and her voice has never been in better shape.

And she left her rented home outside L.A. after the last big quake. "I found a house I really want, a very special house in Phoenix," confides the former Fleetwood Mac lead singer. "But my mom says I have to pare down - she says right now I couldn't even qualify for the mortgage."

So it's tour time then one more album obligation to Atlantic Records. After that Nicks senses there will be changes in her life. And putting down roots is just a start - "I know I’ll always want to perform, to do shows. Maybe something more intimate than amphitheaters; I would love to do bars and clubs."

Movies maybe? TV? "Absolutely not!" she says. "I can't stand to have a camera right in my face, always having to worry, 'Is this the best side of me or is that?' I can't even stand to do videos any anymore."

She also can’t abide talk about her weight, which has been on the up side in recent years. "When you're as short as I am (5-foot-1), ten extra pounds makes you look totally blown up."

The story about her manager who became an ex-employee when he told her she had to lose twenty pounds or forfeit her career is true she says. "But then," she adds with a laugh, "I did lose the twenty pounds."

"It hurts me," she adds. "It hurts my heart to hear people say these sorts of things about me. As if, unless you look a certain way, your music is not important anymore. I'm 46. I am who I am."

Backstage after a show, on a sofa piled with bouquets from fans, Nicks looks more like Heidi than music's mystic vamp. Her hair is in braids - it's how she keeps her hair crimped between shows. "It takes two hours to braid my hair all around," she says. "It's work." A visitor wonders aloud why there's no one to do such mundane tasks. Like so much, she says, "I do it better myself."

It's that self-sufficiency that defines Nicks in the '90s. "I've been around too long not to be happy with myself, and I'm enjoying being by myself," she says, adding there is "no one special in my, life now." (As for long ago beau Lindsey Buckingham: "He-doesn't speak to me; we don't speak at all actually. He only played at the inauguration because I called him on the phone and begged him.")

Now, "I'm like the social director on this tour - a mediator for everyone," she says. "What if there were (a guy) waiting on the bus for me right now? I couldn't talk to anyone. I'd have to hurry to get to him, and I'd be hot and tired. And then I'd have to worry about him? No way."

So nix those baby rumors? "I'd never have one by myself," she says, "although it's still not too late if I met the right person. It’s also very hard to adopt a baby, even for me, and it's not the right time. I’m so busy and gone so much, I can't even have a dog. And you know, you have to have a house and a dog."
Old 07-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have to agree. It seems to me that some people won't allow for anyone but Stevie to be "the best," even when it comes to a stupid argument like finances. Stevie has said that Lindsey is the richest, yet there are those out there who just will not accept it and still say "No, you are, Stevie." My word.
YES. And people think I have a problem with Stevie. I have much more of a problem with the drones who stick their fingers in their ears and "La, la, la, la, la" when anything unflattering is said about their queen.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So nix those baby rumors? "I'd never have one by myself," she says, "although it's still not too late if I met the right person. It’s also very hard to adopt a baby, even for me, and it's not the right time. I’m so busy and gone so much, I can't even have a dog. And you know, you have to have a house and a dog."
Looks like she changed her mind about the dog!

Pip
Old 07-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

The story about her manager who became an ex-employee when he told her she had to lose twenty pounds or forfeit her career is true she says. "But then," she adds with a laugh, "I did lose the twenty pounds."
Who was the manager?

Pip
Old 07-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, I do think she was serious. Mick and other artists went bankrupt and I have no reason to believe that Stevie's cocaine addiction combined with excess spending led her to deplete her finanaces. I also think the statement made in the context of the article leads me to believe she was serious in her statement.

Like I said, I don't like speculating about their income but we don't know how her money was spent and what effect her spending on drugs and a lavish lifestyle (supporting friends) might have impacted her finances. It would not be unthinkable that she was serious and we also don't know what type of house ("a very special house") or mortage she was looking at, or where her money was invested and perhaps she was not liquid enough to qualify for a particular mortgage. She was also saying that her mother was warning her about doing this so perhaps her mother was being a bit over cautious, as mothers can be

The point of the reference to the article was she did not seem to be in the best shape financially. She also stated at the time of the Dance that they were looking to put something away for their future. Her career had been in a state of decline before 1994 and perhaps her conservative view of her finances was coming from her not knowing if and when her career and income would rebound. As much as any of the band members would have loved the success of the Dance, (Enchanted, TISL)and SYW, none of the them could have predicted how financially successful those projects would be in 1994.
Sorry, I don't see it, especially in the context of the article. Lindsey made the most money, period. But you'll never sell to me that Stevie was in financial distress. Nev-ah.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
YES. And people think I have a problem with Stevie. I have much more of a problem with the drones who stick their fingers in their ears and "La, la, la, la, la" when anything unflattering is said about their queen.
You hit the nail on the head, or rather, the black on the chiffon.

I told ya all before, never say anything that could EVER be construed as negative about the Queen of Velvet Fountains and Fairy Farts.

(for those who can't tell, that was a joke)

Old 07-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Sorry, I don't see it, especially in the context of the article. Lindsey made the most money, period. But you'll never sell to me that Stevie was in financial distress. Nev-ah.
We can agree to disagree on this one

I also wasn't implying that Stevie was broke or in financial distress, I just think the reality of her situation in 1994 (years of excessive spending and drug use combined with a declining career) was forcing her (through her mother and financial advisors) to cut back her lifestyle and she may not have been liquid enough to qualify for a mortgage on a very special house.

Of course, she could have pulled a David Bowie Stevie sell her boots, Nev-ah!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Also, some money must be paid to CM for "The Chain," "Don't Stop" and "World Turning" if she retained rights. I think the other songs they sing that she did not write may be sung without remuneration to CM.
I was under the impression that there are no royalties played when a song is performed live, only when they are used in a media performance.
Also, I still think Mick retains some rights to the Rumours and White Album publishing.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
Who was the manager?

Pip
I just heard about this recently, someone said it was Tony Dimitriades.......Lindsey's current manager
Old 07-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can requote all of Jason's comments but of course I'm being hypersensitive and jumping to conclusions. But what the heck, let's go for it and puff up Lindsey some more:

I think there's big difference from the saying things the way you are in your post to painting the picture that Jason is. Is this about being a Stevie fan or Lindsey fan because I can pull out other quotes from the past few months too. You and Jason are right! Stevie was a much bigger solo success than Lindsey and she earned a hell of a lot more money than he did. I'm glad you repeated that for anyone who missed those facts, yet again. Yes, Lindsey did cocaine and pot too, I guess I can disagree with Jason as to how much he did, when he stopped and his openess in discussing it. After all, when the drug use of the band members has been brought up by hundreds of reporters over the years and the man says he really never did a lot of cocaine, didn't like the effect, never bought it himself and thought it was a waste of a lot of money, I don't have to believe him because this is all just speculation and it's fun.
I fail to see how anything that Jason said is negative in any way, shape, or form towards Lindsey. He's stated his thoughts on their wealth in this thread, neither one of us needs to agree with them, but they aren't negative, they aren't malicious, and they aren't part of some huge conspiracy amongst Stevie fans.

I'll be the first to say that a lot of Stevie fans can be quite rabid if you dare say anything about the Queen that doesn't fit their views. They don't care if it has basis in fact or not, if they don't like it, you're the anti-christ. But I see none of that in this thread, with the exception fo one post and it wasn't even Jason's post. This thread is being turned into something a bit ridiculous: an argument over who's better, Stevie or Lindsey. To me, that's patently absurd and I'm a bit amused and disgusted at the same time that this thread has degenerated that way.

Lindsey has the most money, period. Stevie spent a lot of hers by living an extravagant lifestyle, whereas Lindsey's lifestyle was tame in comparison. He got the lions share of the money in Fleetwood Mac because he was one of the big draws in concert, he produced the albums, he wrote hit songs, and he played the gee-tar. It's only natural that he'd make the most out of everyone in the band. Stevie has said numerous times that he's the wealthiest, take it or leave it.

That's all I've got to say.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
We can agree to disagree on this one

I also wasn't implying that Stevie was broke or in financial distress, I just think the reality of her situation in 1994 (years of excessive spending and drug use combined with a declining career) was forcing her (through her mother and financial advisors) to cut back her lifestyle and she may not have been liquid enough to qualify for a mortgage on a very special house.

Of course, she could have pulled a David Bowie Stevie sell her boots, Nev-ah!!!
Oh, Bowie! He has more money than the US Mint!! For cripes sake, he owns his own freakin' internet company.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
I was under the impression that there are no royalties played when a song is performed live, only when they are used in a media performance.
Also, I still think Mick retains some rights to the Rumours and White Album publishing.

I remember around the time of the TISL tour that there was some discussion about Stevie using the Bootylicious song at the opening of her concerts. There was talk by some people that a flat fee is negotiated and paid for a specified period of time. I don't know if that's true but it seems logical. I'm not sure whether Stevie was paid by Destiny's Child for them using the riff in the first place.

I think Mick or the band (Fleetwood Mac) still get paid producers royalties or fees for all of the albums up until Tango when the producer credits were changed from Fleetwood Mac to Lindsey and Richard. I can't remember if that changed for Mirage or Tango.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I remember around the time of the TISL tour that there was some discussion about Stevie using the Bootylicious song at the opening of her concerts. There was talk by some people that a flat fee is negotiated and paid for a specified period of time. I don't know if that's true but it seems logical. I'm not sure whether Stevie was paid by Destiny's Child for them using the riff in the first place.
Unless a live show is recorded and sold as a video, CD, or DVD, no royalties have to be paid if someone covers a song.