Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Loved the video as well.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Oh, this is priceless. But even though you made me laugh uproariously, I will not lump FWIW in with those garbage songs.
This is a fair statement. While FWIW is not a great, "hooky" single, it's a decent album cut and has a coherent story. It is far, far from her worst song.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I think it would be an unlikely hit and I am still puzzled it was even released as a single. Far too draggy and droning, and sung in such a low register she sounds just dead and boring. Sorry, I know many love this song. I do not.
Agreed. I concede there is a sweet sentiment in the song, as someone else posted, but it's a weak single. Blah and boring.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
This is a fair statement. While FWIW is not a great, "hooky" single, it's a decent album cut and has a coherent story. It is far, far from her worst song.
I agree. The chorus definitely hooks you but I think it's just one of the more cohesive on IYD, not her best ever.

I wish Stevie would go a little country, like pander to country radio so they'd play her stuff. She could definitely have a place there, particularly with her recent albums, and the only reason I can think of for why they shun her is because she doesn't define herself as country. I think her collaborations with Lady Antebellum are a good step in the right direction.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I agree. Poor single choice. Bland and uninteresting. Only some die hard Stevie fans would like it.
Lol literally everyone I know loves this song.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
Agreed. I concede there is a sweet sentiment in the song, as someone else posted, but it's a weak single. Blah and boring.
I completely agree with this. In fact, watching the IYD documentary, the FWIW section was one of my favorites simply because of the sentiments behind the song, and the emotional reaction it elicited from Stevie. It was very moving to watch Stevie talk about emerging from addiction, and facing life utterly sober for the first time in decades. However, her trying to steal her married addiction counselor away from his wife while he travels with her on the road is also an underlying theme of this song... not cool.

My biggest problem with the song are the clunky lyrics and extremely draggy chorus, though. Stevie Nicks songs shouldn't contain words like "stuff" and "car." She's a better writer than that. And those baritone, uninspired double harmonies in the chorus are just painful to me.

This song definitely captures one of the more interesting chapters of Stevie's life, but top 10 single material it definitely was not. Now the title track? During a different era it absolutely could have been a top 40 hit.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmatrix View Post
Lol literally everyone I know loves this song.
Well then literally everyone you know must be on Klonoplin. This is one of the most uninteresting, bland, slice of life songs I've ever heard. It's not even interesting. The boil on my buttocks could of written it. Why in the hell was it ever released as a single. It sounds like an album reject. There is absolutely nothing special about this song.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Well then literally everyone you know must be on Klonoplin. This is one of the most uninteresting, bland, slice of life songs I've ever heard. It's not even interesting. The boil on my buttocks could of written it. Why in the hell was it ever released as a single. It sounds like an album reject. There is absolutely nothing special about this song.
This. Sorry, but she sounds like a walrus stuck in a bagpipe drone on FWIW.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What's Klonoplin?

Old 05-11-2016, 06:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Like other's have stated, I agree that the album vocal is rather bland and dull. I much preferred the way she sang it live and feel that if the album version had been recorded the same way she pulled off the live vocal it would have made the song much stronger and potentially boosted it's radio life.

~Well You Cannot Know A Dream~
~Until You've Known The Nightmare~