User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
See, that's kind of what I mean by negativity. I don't mean to sound like I'm saying you in particular are being rude or anything, so don't take this the wrong way, but when people make unnecessary snarky comments or things intended to sound condescending when there's really no purpose, it could make someone who is a shipper or whatever else the comment is directed towards feel belittled or like they're being mocked or like their thoughts/opinions are stupid. That's what I've noticed the most on this place, is things like that, which are just kind of mean sometimes and unnecessary.
I know that you're relatively new here, but you realize that there is a faction here, who do believe(or fantasize) that Stevie and Lindsey are still in love, and secretly have a relationship(or whatever).

Those people are known as (relation) shippers. I find shippers to be somewhat ridiculous, living in a fantasy world. I may or may not poke fun at them. And....no offense, I'm not seeking approval(or someone else's brand of shaming) for poking fun at them.

Hope you're having a good day.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I know that you're relatively new here, but you realize that there is a faction here, who do believe(or fantasize) that Stevie and Lindsey are still in love, and secretly have a relationship(or whatever).

Those people are known as (relation) shippers. I find shippers to be somewhat ridiculous, living in a fantasy world. I may or may not poke fun at them. And....no offense, I'm not seeking approval(or someone else's brand of shaming) for poking fun at them.

Hope you're having a good day.
I mean, I guess I never knew the exact definition of 'shipper' in the context here. I'd heard about those conspiracy theories and thought they were odd but I never actually saw any of them whenever I'd look at threads, so I assumed they were sort of relegated to the darker corners of the internet. They have things like that in One Direction, there's this surprisingly large portion of their fan base who thinks two of the members are secretly in a relationship. I thought 'shipper' was like someone who's just a big BN fan, you know, who likes them and their dynamic and their history and views it in a positive light. I knew the term shipper WAY before I got into FM because that's what they'd call someone who supports a certain pairing on a TV show. I used to watch The Vampire Diaries and since they had a big love triangle arc, there were 'Stefan/Elena' shippers and 'Damon/Elena' shippers.

Perhaps my knowledge of what a shipper is isn't up to speed.

Anyways that was just my two cents, it really wasn't directed at you or anything so I hope it didn't come across that way, just things like that, also when people call Stevie a goat or something, that probably hurts the feelings of the Stevie fans who love her.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yep, that's where Shipper comes from. People who like to believe S&L are still in some form of relationSHIP.

Wouldn't it be ridiculous for people to believe that, 40 YEARS after they broke up, and Lindsey is married with children?

I find that faction of fans to be ridiculous, and I enjoy poking fun at them.

The goat pics are just bonus points.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yep, that's where Shipper comes from. People who like to believe S&L are still in some form of relationSHIP.

Wouldn't it be ridiculous for people to believe that, 40 YEARS after they broke up, and Lindsey is married with children?

I find that faction of fans to be ridiculous, and I enjoy poking fun at them.

The goat pics are just bonus points.
Ah yes well that kind of thing is definitely a bit out there. I knew it existed at some point since I saw it mentioned somewhere, I just didn't know it was still a thing. Then I amend what I said before, I guess what I thought a shipper is is more of just what would be considered a fan.
But can you believe, there's people just like that in other things, I one time read a blog of one of those One Direction conspiracy people, and it was actually insane. They devised a theory that one of the members long term girlfriends was actually a set of triplets hired by their management. They based it off things like her hair looking different in certain photos

I do think the term chiffonhead is kind of great actually, whoever came up with it is clever.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I was merely "shipper baiting".
Without a leg to stand on....
Old 11-28-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I was merely "shipper baiting".
Well, actually I haven't seen any "shippers" on this board for a very long time, at least a year, and in the almost three years I've been here (plus two during which I wasn't a member yet) I've seen maybe one person that seems to correspond to the definition of shipper you just gave.
I think that part of the fandom you're talking about has long deflated and the few that remains are out of this board.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Well, actually I haven't seen any "shippers" on this board for a very long time, at least a year, and in the almost three years I've been here (plus two during which I wasn't a member yet) I've seen maybe one person that seems to correspond to the definition of shipper you just gave.
I think that part of the fandom you're talking about has long deflated and the few that remains are out of this board.
So you're saying that my 13 year tenure of baiting, worked?

THANKS!!!!

Old 11-28-2016, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Yeah that's what I meant, I had a more different idea of a shipper based off what I'd seen on here. I knew that more extreme brand existed but I never saw them on here so I figured they weren't a thing anymore.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah that's what I meant, I had a more different idea of a shipper based off what I'd seen on here. I knew that more extreme brand existed but I never saw them on here so I figured they weren't a thing anymore.
I just always ASSume that they're on the Stevie board...

(I never go there. Literally maybe 5 times in the 13 years I've been here.)
Old 11-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just always ASSume that they're on the Stevie board...

(I never go there. Literally maybe 5 times in the 13 years I've been here.)
You're bored by the Stevie board?
Old 11-28-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I would laugh, but I am currently doing that myself about another celebrity couple. They officially announced their break up in July with a press release, but I am POSITIVE they are secretly together and I look for every single clue that reinforces my conviction.

For instance the guy posted a picture of himself on Instagram with a machete in his pocket and that SAME DAY the woman posted a picture of her hair being cut and the locks on the floor. Now, that means he cut her hair off with his machete right? Right? RIGHT?!

Michele
Yes!!!!! Yes!!!! lol
Old 11-28-2016, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You're bored by the Stevie board?
Yes. I'm a concrete guy, and there are just too many unicorns on there. At least that's the way I imagine it being.

Actually, the few times I was there, there was just too much "Stevie can do no wrong" worship. And Homie don't play dat.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes. I'm a concrete guy, and there are just too many unicorns on there. At least that's the way I imagine it being.

Actually, the few times I was there, there was just too much "Stevie can do no wrong" worship. And Homie don't play dat.
Fair enough. There are probably some fans (of anything really) who are a bit extreme. I remember in particular, the guy that ran the Ivory Keys site, I read some of his old posts and he was particularly ardent.

The thing you said about unicorns reminds me of Waddy's Q&A that I read where he said how in the early days, he just could not put up with Stevie's lyrics and was always asking Lindsey to go out and play something else.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The best era of Fleetwood Mac in my opinion is without a doubt the Rumours era (1975-1987)! The music was bliss, the songwriting phenomenal, and Stevie, Christine, and Lindsey's harmonies were pure perfection to my ears during this era! Hello all I've introduced myself on the Stevie board but this is my first posting here! I'm 18 and became a huge Mac fan a little over 2 years ago. Glad this board is here so we can all share the love for this wonderful band!
Old 11-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The term shipper originated with the X-Files. I was a Mulder and Scully shipper and I've been a strong Stevie and Lindsey shipper, too, but at this point, I think whatever romantic feelings SnL had for each other are long gone. I haven't always thought that and I used to read the lyrics of new Stevie and Lindsey songs with great enthusiasm looking for references to each other and swooning a bit.

I don't think there's anything wrong with shipping. The reason that it became ridiculous on this board is that a small contingent of people became overly sensitive and, in my view, delusional. If you said something like Lindsey missed Christine when she was away, they were enraged and would say don't try to make false equivalencies between Lindsey's relationship with Christine and his relationship with Stevie. [Which is funny, because I've raged about the media making false equivalencies in this campaign we've all just been through, LOL].

Or when we got to discussing song lyrics it wasn't up for interpretation. They'd say, "it can't mean anything else EXCEPT this ...." and I just thought it became insane. There were only a few people involved, but they were spoiling the entire topic. I loved the romance myself, but the fans were making the subject psychotic and impossible to discuss.

Michele