User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
I'm overwhelmed by the sheer number of reasons why this tour will never happen. Hopefully, I won't have to get into the nitty gritty to dissuade the optimistic/delusional, but.. lets just boil it down to this-

Eagles are considerably more popular than Fleetwood Mac. They don't need an opening act, and Fleetwood Mac most certainly doesn't want to open for Eagles.
Plenty of successful bands tour together. Chicago and E,W&F. Styx and REO Speedwagon. James Tayor and Carole King.

Granted, most popular bands that get together like that come up with a new song they had worked on together, but FM & the Eagles could do that too -- hahaha. Yeah, right. Lindsey and Don working together. That'd be some funny **** to see.

It could happen, but I don't really see why a lot of you automatically dismiss the idea. Do you really not think that this is a cool idea or are you just trying to be all high and mighty so you can say "I told you so" if the time comes?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Responses of this idea from Eagles Fans

December 11, 2009
Eagles and Fleetwood Mac this Summer?
Fleetwood Mac? Stadiums? We sure hope not! Thanks, Mike B. for the heads up!

The concept of a summer US tour featuring the two Rock and Roll Hall of Fame members and consistent concert draws of the last decade is being presented to stadium and arena operators and promoters. The double bill is being considered for a combination of single nights in baseball and football stadiums and multiple nights in arenas.

rated 4.81 by 5 people [?]

December 11, 2009 in Eagles, Eagles Tour Dates | Permalink

Comments
Jersey Jim said...
I remember when I saw the Stevie Nicks and Don Henley tour a few years back at PNC Arts Center in New Jersey. Stevie Nicks fans were giving Don a hard time and Don didnt even do an encore. Not that this would happen but my question would be who goes on first? Hope this tour doesnt happen.
Reply December 12, 2009 at 09:28 AM

Mary R said...
This one is a "toughy"---I'm inclined to agree with Griff on this one---tho I'm thinkin that a cool summer night at the old "E" Center on the waterfront in Camden NJ might be a VERY NEAT PLACE to see the Eagles & "The Mac" come next July or August. We shall see what we shall see!!
Reply December 12, 2009 at 04:02 AM

Super Frey said...
Well I agree on seeing the Eagles, but I also think it would be cool to see Fleetwood Mac too.
Reply December 11, 2009 at 08:46 PM

Cella said...
I am skeptical that they will go for it – for some reason. I also think that I prefer to spend my money to see the Eagles in smaller arenas, for the sound quality. I am not sure about the “outside stadium thing”.
Reply December 11, 2009 at 07:59 PM

Griff said...
Neither band can fill stadiums seperately but maybe together. If this is the last tour for The Eagles I would rather see them in a small arena or large auditorium for optimum sound. Maybe a tour with some of each. Stadiums w/Mac for a few dates in the largest markets and small arenas and premier halls for intimate high quality sound! I wouldn't waste my money on an outdoor stadium show with their terrible sound. We shall see.
Reply December 11, 2009 at 07:01 PM

Scott said...
Awesome! Hope it happens, it would be monumental!

http://eaglesfans.typepad.com/latest...is-summer.html
Old 12-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know about you all, but I have no interest in seeing this because I KNOW that ticket prices will absolutely be RIDICULOUS!!!!! And I am totally not for that.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMlex View Post
Granted, most popular bands that get together like that come up with a new song they had worked on together, but FM & the Eagles could do that too -- hahaha. Yeah, right. Lindsey and Don working together. That'd be some funny **** to see.
They have worked together: Lindsey played guitar & helped with some production tasks on Don's "Building the Perfect Beast" album.

Quote:
It could happen, but I don't really see why a lot of you automatically dismiss the idea.
It seems perfectly plausible to me. It sounds like huge potential for ka-ching all around, which is what the sixty-somethings need, now that their real estate & their IRAs have lost so much value.

Imagine the PBS pledge breaks next year: "The Eagles & Fleetwood Mac--Rhiannon Checks In To The Hotel California!"

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I have no idea whether it will happen or not, but I really hope it doesn't. I'm sure the tickets will be at least $200 each, and probably a lot more than that. Also, stadium shows absolutely suck. The sound is always terrible, you end up watching them on a screen because you are so far away, and because it's hard for people who aren't die hard fans to stay connected to the performance, you get lots of beer swilling people talking through the entire show. Plus, you know we would get abbreviated sets. I mean, for each of them to play 2 hours, plus make changes on stage between the two bands, and finish before 11:00 (most cities have curfews for loud shows, don't they?) the would have to start at 6:00 , and you know that's not going to happen. But the worst part of it is that if it happens, I know I will shell out the big bucks and go. I just wouldn't be able not to. I know, I'm sick

Kevin
Old 12-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

I pray to God this doesn't come to fruition. I cannot think of anything worse lol.

I don't think Lindsey, Mick or John would agree to it !
Old 12-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgeOldDesire View Post
I know a person can live just fine on one kidney; but I'd like to keep both of mine where they are. So I won't be selling one just to get a ticket to this little Same Old Songs Soiree.

Best damn response of the thread!

I know what you mean though, I thumbed my nose at the Mac's $150 ticket price this past Spring, so I'm sure not gonna pay $200+++ to see them with the Eagles. Though I love both bands, this is just total relegation to oldies standards... and I just have no interest. You just get a watered down soundbite version of each monumental band... and who wants that?
Old 12-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
They have worked together: Lindsey played guitar & helped with some production tasks on Don's "Building the Perfect Beast" album.
Yeah, that's Lindsey singing on Don's "You Can't Make Love."

Michele
Old 12-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Um, is this true? I thought they did a bunch of outdoor stadium shows together that summer in '76.
You are correct sir. I believe one of those concerts
took place in New Orleans.

And I agree with LukeA on this one, I don't think it's
going to happen.

I can't imagine Henley with his ego would open for anyone.
And I hope Lindsey wouldn't cave on this either. But then
again.........there were rumours about a Cyrus/Mac Tour.
Wonder what happened with that?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This better not happen, at least anytime soon. Let's get some new material to promote and NOT give Stephanie Lynn Nicks another reason to bitch about a tour.... if you think it is awkward to tour with one ex, imagine that times four. DUMB IDEA, even if she's on great terms with all the Eagles.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. This is bad. I really hope Fleetwood Mac values their CAREERS enough to keep from going in this direction.... they're not going to be music artists to me when they stop recording, throw the towel in for good and say, "let's run around and play all the songs everyone has heard five thousand times because its safe."
Old 12-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Registered

It all boils down to the question of whether Eagles + Fleetwood Mac = Rolling Stones, in terms of the fan interest/box office receipts... because the only way ANY number of stadium dates (let alone an arena tour? Give me a f'n break) make any sense is if they can get at least 20,000 people to buy $250+ tickets- in other words, a $5M head start. How many markets could pull that off for this double-bill? I can think of 5-6. Stadium gigs have huge overhead costs- whether you're running a U2-sized spectacle or you're Bruce Springsteen.

If the Eagles & Fleetwood Mac both reunited 1995ish and went on a stadium tour... now we're talking. At this juncture, both Eagles & Fleetwood Mac have oversaturated the market to the point where even the once-in-a-lifetime pairing of these two acts wouldn't kick up enough interest/dollars to facilitate even the CONVERSATION of whether they could pull it off or not ego-wise.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just dont think this will happen either. I love the Eagles.I saw their Hell Freezes Over Tour at Giants Stadium in 94, wooooooooow, fantastic. So it has nothing to do with them. I think I would just rather it be two different experiences then put together into one package. Besides if Stevie thinks the Mac is a boy's club now without Christine, forget about it!
Old 12-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Registered

Quote:
Plenty of successful bands tour together. Chicago and E,W&F. Styx and REO Speedwagon. James Tayor and Carole King.
HUGE difference between two-three 3k-5k seater acts teaming up to tour 15K capacity sheds and two arena headliners teaming up to tackle 40K+ stadiums. The differences are so substantial that I can't believe you apparently don't recognize them.

Quote:
It could happen, but I don't really see why a lot of you automatically dismiss the idea. Do you really not think that this is a cool idea or are you just trying to be all high and mighty so you can say "I told you so" if the time comes?
The way you phrase that, you seem to suggest that such a tour is likely, and that suggesting the tour could never happen is an act of prescience... when its clearly the other way around.

Last edited by LukeA; 12-12-2009 at 08:04 PM..
Old 12-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Registered

It was drilled into me in my concert promoting days that there's no such thing as bad gigs/venues, just bad deals. Despite all the correctly-placed skepticism for this tour (by me & plenty of others), I actually think they can pull off up to 10 double-bill stadium dates...

2 - Dodger Stadium (LA)
2 - CitiField/Yankee Stadium (NY)
1 - Gillette Stadium (Boston)
1 - Oakland Coliseum (SF)
1 - Soldier Field (Chicago)
1 - Turner Field (Atlanta)
1 - Nationals Ballpark (Washington DC)
1 - Cowboys Stadium (Dallas)

All on Thu-Sun's, and not ANY sooner than July 2011. I'd make sure that Eagles & Fleetwood Mac limited their touring in any of these regions before then (as it stands, Eagles are poised to take about $8M out of the LA market with the April '10 Hollywood Bowl shows that go on sale this upcoming Monday). As for the "multiple nights in arenas" nonsense, the only ones that make any sense are Las Vegas & Atlantic City, where they can conceivably get away with charging Streisand/'05 tour level prices.

But would this generate enough money to placate Eagles? They're the ones that would need convincing- they could play a stadium gig here and there on their own- they don't need FM's help. FM's the one that's aimlessly sputtering with no direction or momentum & are in strong need/desire of one last big payday/hurrah before they pack it in.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Luke, do you think they can play stadiums in Florida or Colorado too?