Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Gift of Screws Album

Only recently I've started to really listen to this album in depth and it's very intriguing to me. Does anyone know Lindsey's inspiration for a lot of these songs. Some of them sound kind of cynical to me such as Great Day and I was wondering about the meaning of that song along with the album as a whole
Old 06-26-2016, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Gift of Screws

From an Amazon Review: "Guitarist/Singer/Songwriter/Producer Lindsey Buckingham has often been called a "mad genius." Never before has Buckingham's brilliance, creativity, intensity, and outright weirdness been more on display than on Gift of Screws. "Great Day," written by Lindsey Buckingham and his son, Will, gets the cd off to a rockin' start. Buckingham's punk and new wave influences shine here as they have in his past work (from Fleetwood Mac's Tusk in 1979 to present). "Time Precious Time" is almost an incantation with gorgeous guitar work. "Did You Miss Me," written by Lindsey Buckingham and his wife, Kristen, is the most straight-ahead pop song on this cd. "Wait for You" is a bluesy rocker (the rhythm section of Fleetwood Mac makes an appearance with Mick Fleetwood on Drums and John McVie on Bass). Buckingham wrote "Love Runs Deeper" again with his wife, Kristen, in which he shows his pop sensibilities to great effect. "Bel Air Rain" is, simply, gorgeous. In this track, as he looks back over his life, he sings that he was "mistaken for a whore" by some for Fleetwood Mac's great success. Buckingham's genius guitar work and singing and songwriting and producing on all of these songs show just how foolish those who doubt Buckingham's many talents are. "The Right Place to Fade" finds Lindsey Buckingham rocking again with Mick Fleetwood on Drums. The title track,"Gift of Screws," (with Fleetwood and McVie again) is a weird tilt-a-whirl of a song with Buckingham's penchant for the oddness of punk well on display. It's the funnest song I've heard in a very long time. "Underground" and "Treason" end the cd. Both are thought-provoking meditations: the former on the state of the record industry and the latter on love, loss, and redemption. This is one Gift you'll never regret!"