Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Julia could have been the Silver Springs of Bella Donna

Conjecture Time: in 1997, when The Dance came out, Stevie had a lot to prove. Street Angel had been a major disappointment professionally & personally. Fleetwood Mac was all but forgotten, so when she belted out Silver Springs, it was really her shot at regaining prominence for her solo career as well as her band's. Today, she doesn't have the same obstacles, but I can't help thinking Julia could be the Silver Springs of Bella Donna if she would have let it. Record a live version from the stage, but include the studio version on the reissue.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with this statement. Stevie's career was all but over circa 1996. You couldn't give away new Stevie Nicks albums. I've ALWAYS felt that "The Dance" and particularly "Silver Springs" live 1997 not only made Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac cool again, it allowed them to have productive careers for the following 20 years.

As for "Julia", I LOVE the song. It's always been one of my favorite unreleased moments. I'm not sure it packs quiet the radio friendly/accessible punch that "Springs" did. But, it's worth a shot. I really feel that "Julia" should be saved and recorded for the next Fleetwood Mac album, if that ever sees the light of day.

"I do two things these days"
Old 10-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think you are on to something. Julia on the next FM album is brilliant. Then she only has to come up with two new ones. Hit song on = pressure off.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:11 AM
Ledgie

Totally agree, and I believe there is a plan unfolding. Stevie won't let her band down.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yep, "Julia" was left off of the new deluxe rerelease for one of two reasons....it's either A) going to be on 24K Vol. 2 or B) it's going to be on the new Fleetwood Mac album!
Old 10-19-2016, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I'm in the minority here. I don't feel like "Julia" should be a Fleetwood Mac song. Don't get me wrong - I think they would most likely do an INCREDIBLE job with it...

But, like the thread title suggests, it was the equivalent of her "Silver Springs". It BELONGED on "Bella Donna". It's a special song both about Robin and about the beginning of her solo career. As someone else pointed out the lyric - "She does two things these days..." As such, I just feel that if she ever decides to re-record it, then it should be in her canon of solo songs and not Fleetwood Mac. Please don't stone me! Just my humble opinion.

That being said, I'm also of the opinion that she should have just released the song AS IS (Because it's already perfect!) on this new "Bella Donna" expanded edition. Just like the studio version of "Silver Springs" is now included on every expanded edition of "Rumours". I feel it's part of the "Bella Donna experience" and because it's not there, I feel slighted. Not that it has detracted from the excitement of getting some OTHER wonderful things included in these re-issues. I'm still stoked!

But yes, it would seem she has other plans for "Julia", and that makes me nervous, as the "Bella Donna" version is simply perfected beauty...and I feel that another attempt to record it would pale in comparison.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I guess I'm in the minority here. I don't feel like "Julia" should be a Fleetwood Mac song. Don't get me wrong - I think they would most likely do an INCREDIBLE job with it...

But, like the thread title suggests, it was the equivalent of her "Silver Springs". It BELONGED on "Bella Donna". It's a special song both about Robin and about the beginning of her solo career. As someone else pointed out the lyric - "She does two things these days..." As such, I just feel that if she ever decides to re-record it, then it should be in her canon of solo songs and not Fleetwood Mac. Please don't stone me! Just my humble opinion.

That being said, I'm also of the opinion that she should have just released the song AS IS (Because it's already perfect!) on this new "Bella Donna" expanded edition. Just like the studio version of "Silver Springs" is now included on every expanded edition of "Rumours". I feel it's part of the "Bella Donna experience" and because it's not there, I feel slighted. Not that it has detracted from the excitement of getting some OTHER wonderful things included in these re-issues. I'm still stoked!

But yes, it would seem she has other plans for "Julia", and that makes me nervous, as the "Bella Donna" version is simply perfected beauty...and I feel that another attempt to record it would pale in comparison.
Totally agree. There are just some songs that are for Fleetwood Mac, and there are some songs that are for Stevie Nicks. Julia, is not only a 'Stevie Nicks,' song though and through, it's a Bella Donna song. BUT since we know it won't be on the reissue, the next best thing is a 24K Gold II version.

However, I'll dance a jig if it ever gets a release: solo, or with Fleetwood Mac