The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There’s only one way to cut this sandwich: Fleetwood Mac are musical legends. Born from the tradition of blues rock pioneered by John Mayall, Fleetwood Mac found their groove in female fronted soft-rock- think of them as the Paramore of the 70s’, especially when Stevie Nicks joined their ranks.

Bio.Beat: Fleetwood Mac premieres on the Bio Channel, Astro Channel 731, on the 14th of March 2011 at 9pm.

http://entertainment.malaysia.msn.co...mentid=4694100
Old 03-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default March 15,2011

NASA has once again found some cocaine at the venerable Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida. NASA spokesman Allard Beutel has confirmed that 4.2 ounces of Brooklyn’s favorite party drug was found somewhere in the facility, although he did not indicate where.

This is not the first time cocaine was found at the center. In January 2010, a small amount was discovered in the hangar that houses space shuttle Discovery. One of two things is going on here, either folks at NASA are partying hard or Rumors-era Fleetwood Mac traveled through time to play one rocking space concert. My money is on the time travel, but mostly because that would just be really cool.

My question is, why would astronauts do cocaine? They are astronauts. The stuff they actually do is already a thousand times better than the stuff coke-users manically plan on one day doing. If astronauts, who let me remind you GO TO SPACE, can’t resist the temptations of drugs then how do the rest of us have any hope? Barring some last minute gift from Richard Branson, we aren’t ever gonna go to space. We are going to watch reality TV and “like” things on Facebook. NASA, get your act together! We are never gonna get to an awesome Star Trek future if you keep doing this kind of stuff.

http://thefastertimes.com/tech/2011/...-space-center/
Old 03-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Fleetwood Mac song, 'The Chain', reached number 81 in the UK charts despite a local man's online campaign

A LOCAL man’s campaign to get an iconic Formula 1 song to number one in the charts has ended in disappointment after it failed to break the top 40.
Last month, Formula 1 fan, George Caröe, of Marsh Benham, started a campaign on social networking websites Facebook and Twitter to get people to buy Fleetwood Mac’s Song, ‘The Chain’, to try and get it to number one in time for the first race of the season.
At its peak, the number of people ‘liking’ the Facebook page reached almost 5,800 people, but after the first race of the season in Bahrain was cancelled and some ‘technical difficulties’ last week, the song only managed to reach number 81 in the charts - albeit its highest ever entry in the UK charts.
Mr Caröe, a 20-year-old marketing management student at Southampton Solent University, said he was a little disappointed with the outcome, although he said it was always going to be difficult to compete with the Comic Relief songs last week.
He said problems with the song not appearing on iTunes last week also did not help the cause, but he said he was happy that he had run the campaign, which he said he enjoyed doing.
Mr Caröe thanked everyone for their support in the campaign, adding that he could be tempted to do something similar in a couple of years time.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/A...rticleID=16256
Old 03-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac Didn’t Add Stevie and Christine For Their Looks

Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie certainly made Fleetwood Mac a more attractive group when they joined the band. But Christine says that wasn’t the reason they were chosen.

CLICK ON THIS LINK TO HEAR AUDIO OF CHRISTINE SPEAKING ON THIS SUBJECT
http://kool.radio.com/2011/03/21/fle...r-their-looks/
Old 03-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.spinner.com/2010/11/03/ti...-second-album/

It's been well documented that digital music has altered the way fans consume songs and albums. For the Ting Tings, that change manifested itself on their second album, a diverse collection that draws influences from TLC, Nancy Sinatra and Fleetwood Mac.

"Traveling for two years, we listened to all our music on MP3 players because we couldn't carry our record collection around with us," the Ting Tings' Jules DeMartino tells Spinner. "We made a lot of our playlists up while traveling and instead of listening to complete albums of bands, we kind of tended to drag two of our favorite tracks in from someone like Fleetwood Mac."

From the second part of the video Interview:

"And we listened to Fleetwood Mac and Tusk and we've kind of got obsessed [with] by them. And it rubbed off..."

"I'd say there was one song cuz our first album there was one song that we got obsessed with that was "Once In a Lifetime by Talking Heads". I think this album was "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac." / "Played it to death."

So the new album will be TLC meets Fleetwood Mac meets Nancy Sinatra meets Pet Shop Boys meets The SOS Band (Jam-Lewis) -- aka MY kinda album!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 03-26-2011 at 07:48 AM..
Old 04-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ali Jones: Song for CERA

2nd April 2011

It's all in how you say it ... CERA

This week we heard details about the new body responsible for the smooth implementation and running of the rebuild of Christchurch city.

The Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority or CERA (pronounced Sara), is her name. I say 'her' as Sara is obviously a female name and what an absolutely stunning name it is, for several reasons.

Firstly, the 1979 Fleetwood Mac song of the same name is not only a pretty cool song but the lyrics are spookily reflective of some of our recent experiences following the earthquake in February. Here's an example at the beginning of the song: But now it's gone, it doesn't matter what for. So when you build your house, then call me home.

Later there's: And it was just like a great dark wind,within the wings of a storm. I think I had met my match. He was singin'. And undoing and undoing.Oooooooo, the laces, undoing the laces.

We all feel kind of 'undone', like those laces; some of us a lot and some us not quite so much and we just want to move on.

The second reason CERA (Sara) is a stunning name, is because we all know women run things very successfully in everyday life, so this is very appropriate.

The fact that CERA (Sara) is a body with a chick's name being primarily run by blokes, doesn't really matter because as they say behind every great man is a woman, so we still get the kudos anyway.

Imagine if it had been called BERT - 'Big Earthquake Recovery Team', or TERRENCE - 'The Earthquake Recovery Rescue Entity Not Covering Everything' - it just doesn't have the same ring.

Finally, we need a punchy publicity campaign to support the rebuild of our beautiful city and music often forms an important part of any successful promotion.

Just check out Bruce Springsteen's My Hometown on You Tube, set to earthquake pictures - I tear up whenever I watch it.

Whether it's a jingle or a full blown music video, (the latter I suggest should feature local celebs all wearing orange hi-vis jackets), an effective, relatable campaign would improve buy-in and support from locals.

Fleetwood Mac could do a gig in Hagley Park and if Sara (the song and/or the authority) is too slow, perhaps Fleetwood Mac could perform with Jefferson Starship and belt out We Built this City (on Rock 'n' Roll).

You can email Ali at star.reporters@starcanterbury.co.nz. Put Ali Jones in the subject line.

http://www.starcanterbury.co.nz/loca...-cera/3946716/
Old 04-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Page Two: Honky-Tonk Woman

Must-see Friday show No. 1: Caitlin Rose

Although the U.K. has been swooning for her for some time now, Nashville's Caitlin Rose wasn't nationally known when we stumbled upon her debut album, Own Side Now. But expect her tour, which comes to Largo on Friday night, to change all that.

Back in early March, we said, "With the world-weariness of an old-timer, and a voice that sounds like a dusty pair of cowboy boots walking into a pink-hued sunset, Own Side Now is country music that will please all those folks pining for the Patsy Cline days." We haven't wavered.
Caitlin Rose
Caitlin Rose

Rose told us about hanging out in her hometown bars and hanging up her heartbreak. "I like comfortable bars. I've been going to the 5 Spot in East Nashville for a long time now, and there's always at least one person I know there. I like Dino's Bar & Grill on Gallatin for the jukebox and cheap beer, and I used to work at a place down the street called Bobby's Dairy Dip that's got a good drive-up burger-joint vibe and plays awesome music. Station Inn in the Gulch has been there a lot longer than all the yuppie **** they built up around it, and Robert's Western World on Broadway is the best of the honky-tonks for me."

L.A. WEEKLY: Your love songs are pretty lonely. What's the best way to get over the worst way a boy's ever broken your heart?

CAITLIN ROSE: Make a record. When I first recorded "New York," I had just been dumped by my high school sweetheart and was all kinds of tore up about it, but New York is a fine distraction when you're 18.

Best album to listen to when you're happy/sad?

My favorite album right now is Gerry Rafferty's City to City. Anywhere, anytime, any feeling.

The three things you can't do without in the studio are:

1. Jeremy Fetzer and the way he plays his Telecaster

2. Trashy pulp novel (or trashy Fleetwood Mac tell-all)

3. Doritos

What should a boy know about a Southern girl?

A real Southern girl will smile at people even if they're not smiling back.

http://www.laweekly.com/2011-04-07/m...ky-tonk-woman/
Old 04-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Let's go back in time for a minute, shall we

Cover Story: Fleetwood Mac
Mar 02, 2009 |

Fleetwood Mac
Give The People What They Want

Imagine the headlines if Fleetwood Mac recorded Rumours in 2009 instead of the mid-’70s. People magazine, Us Weekly, and other supermarket litter would have a field day, as would the paparazzi waiting to catch a glimpse of a band on the verge of destruction.

Appearing: March 5th and 6th at Allstate Arena in Rosemont.
A Britney Spears meltdown barely holds a candle to the oft- recited tale of the band’s two couples breaking up and funneling all the pain, doubt, and bitterness into 11 perfect songs. Add snow-capped mountains of blow to the mix to guarantee a spike in newsstand sales.

“We would have been eaten alive, I’m sure,” guitarist Lindsey Buckingham guesses from home in Los Angeles. “Thank God we didn’t have the kind of tabloidism that exists today.”

Three decades after releasing and surviving Rumours, Fleetwood Mac hits the road with its most successful and well-known lineup in tow for a large-scale tour. Original members Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, rock goddess Stevie Nicks, and the thinking-man’s guitar hero Buckingham are all along for the ride (Christine McVie hung up her honeyed vocals after 1997’s The Dancereunion). The foursome last dusted off the Fleetwood Mac tunes five years ago when touring behind Say You Will, but this time the band comes armed with the hits and only the hits – a big departure.

“This is the first tour we’ve ever done where we’re really concentrating on giving all the stuff we feel people would really love to hear because we’ve always toured with a brand-new album. This is the only time we have never done that,” Fleetwood admits, hours before meeting the crew for rehearsal in Los Angeles. “We haven’t been going ’round playing all our lovely songs for 15 years, which a lot of bands do.”

When Buckingham put up the do-not-disturb sign after the last tour to focus on his solo work (2006’s Under The Skin and 2008’s Gift Of Screws), the band took a break with the intent of gathering again at some point to discuss new material.

“There was this implication that the band would reconvene and start doing something and it did indeed begin with the perception that we would go in and make an album first and then start touring,” Buckingham explains. “Somewhere along the line that got inverted and we found ourselves rehearsing first. It wasn’t necessarily my game plan, but a part of what I’m doing this time around is approaching this as much from the standpoint of thinking about everyone’s comfort level.”

Plus, it’s a great way for the longtime friends/former lovers/thorns-in-each-others’ sides to spend time together in a low-pressure situation. “In a way, it’s kinda cool. It kinda frees us up to go out there and just hang out and enjoy each other’s company and not have a particular musical agenda going out there,” Buckingham reasons. “The fact that we are coming out with a tour where there is no agenda to redefine ourselves musically – it kind of gives us that freedom to redefine ourselves a little bit emotionally and personally.”

When these varied personalities converge, drama ultimately follows. According to Buckingham, Nicks left the last tour muttering that she’d never work with him again (oh, how things change), which Buckingham chalks up to the absence of Christine, normally Nicks’ “emotional back-up onstage,” and unresolved issues from years past “that no one ever got closure on.”

On the other hand, Fleetwood characterizes the last tour as “incredibly productive and successful. The Say You Will tour was a happy tour,” Fleetwood says. “We had a good time doing it.”

Always the optimist, Fleetwood is the yin to Buckingham’s brooding yang when it comes to putting a finger on the emotional pulse of the band. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, but both can agree the current atmosphere remains affable. “I’d say all the signs are good,” Buckingham forecasts. “I think we’re gonna have a good time out there.”

“It’s always fun when we get back together,” Fleetwood says. “It’s like that old getting-back-on-a-bike thing that you sometimes forget. You forget how good that chemistry is when it’s all locked in. There is something that happens when these people get together and make music. You sort of, in retrospect, in real time look at yourselves in this framework called Fleetwood Mac and you really quietly pay tribute to how special that is. And you spend three, four years apart not doing that – when you do come back in the first week of rehearsal, there’s lots of glances across the stage. You can’t even second guess it. It just consumes you. And you’re never really going to fully analyze it, you just end up totally accepting it and you go, ‘That’s the real ****.’ When we’re all together, this is what happens. And when we’re not together, lots of great things happen for all of us, like I said, Stevie has a very successful [solo career], but still, when she comes back to Fleetwood Mac and we all do, it’s amazing.”

There’s no doubt otherworldly forces are at work when this bunch share a stage. You Tube “Silver Springs” from The Dance concert special MTV first aired in ‘97 and behold how the last minute encapsulates the tangible passion coursing through Nicks and Buckingham. When they lock eyes and sing, “I’ll follow you down ’til the sound of my voice will haunt you,” showmanship gets thrown out in deference to standing face-to-face with a musical soulmate dating all the way back to high school.

Nicks has played duet partner with good friends Tom Petty and Don Henley to proven success, but when Buckingham enters the fold, the intertwining of these two voices elicits a response on par with a first kiss – a mix of excitement, nausea, and a concrete change in body temperature.

It’s no surprise, then, why Buckingham continues to feel a need to participate in this endeavor – even when the same buttons pushed at age 27 manage to still irk the bejesus out of everyone as they approach the AARP years. “I’ve known [Stevie] since I was like 16, so I don’t want Stevie and myself to be so distant from each other in any way,” Buckingham reveals. “I’m doing it because I think I’m going to learn something from it. I think that there’s a road left to be walked with this group of people that needs to be approached in a certain way. I want to see us in a place where we can be friends and enjoy each other and dignify how we got started.”

On the opposite side of the spectrum, Fleetwood and John McVie also share a history, dating back to John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers. Former Rolling Stone photographer Mark Seliger once dressed the powerhouse rhythm section as a bride and groom for an eerily prophetic photo spread. Most marriages stop short of the 40-year mark – wedded bliss for both Fleetwood and McVie failed to yield such milestone anniversaries – yet their friendship and professional relationship continues to endure.

- Janine Schaults

http://illinoisentertainer.com/2009/...omment-page-1/
Old 04-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Apr 10, 2011

THE NAME GAME: Mick Fleetwood, the moving force of Fleetwood Mac who also is a Maui resident, is moving along with plans to take over the former Planet Hollywood site on Front Street in Lahaina. Fleetwood's, a restaurant, bar and music space, would further deepen his Valley Isle roots. Does he know there's also an ex-Planet space in Waikiki? ...

http://www.staradvertiser.com/column...for_conan.html
Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Writer discusses conversation with bluesman Hammond Gamble in this excerpt from article:

http://www.hawkesbaytoday.co.nz/loca...ibles/3949062/

I informed him that I had rung him for a quote last year on supporting Fleetwood Mac back in 1980, to include in my "Worst Ever Concert" column. It ended up on Stevie Nicks' website.

The gist of his response this time was that he and his bandmates thought they were living the ultimate Rock lifestyle, but realised they were babes in the woods on encountering the Mac.

As the pinot gris, pinot noir and chardonnay worked its magic - incongruously there was Tui also - tongues loosened.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default May 4,2011

Google Trends Face-Off: iMac Vs. Fleetwood Mac

Today is a banner day in the world of things called "Mac": The new 21.5-inch iMac just hit stores, stirring Apple fanatics into near frenzy. Tech blogs are already breaking down the new features and dissecting every which way the iMac compares to similar computers.

On the other side of the blogosphere, "Glee" fans (aka "Gleeks") are hunting down all the information they can on Fleetwood Mac. The folk-inflected British-American rock collective that rose to fame in the '70s is an odd object of obsession among today's youth, so why the sudden interest in your dad's favorite band? Could have something to do with the fact that all of the songs featured on last night's episode of "Glee" were Fleetwood Mac covers.

We can't possibly tell you anything about the new iMac that isn't already posted on your nerdy cousin's blog. And we don't have any insight on Fleetwood Mac that you can't ask your still-a-stoner-after-50 aunt. However, we can pit these burgeoning Google trends against each other to see who will reign SEO supreme!

+ iMac–-Features quad-core Intel Core i5 processors
+ Fleetwood Mac–-Now features four core members

+ iMac--Up to 1.7 times faster that past models
+ Fleetwood Mac–-Members move 1.7 times slower each passing day

+ iMac–-Includes one or two Thunderbolt ports
+ Fleetwood Mac–-Frightened by technology and AC/DC's "Thunderstuck"

+ iMac–-By 10 a.m. today, already has 294 positive ratings on MacRumors.com
+ Fleetwood Mac–-Still telling grandkids about the good reviews of 1977's Rumors

+ iMac–-Apple says, "The most powerful graphics seen in an all-in-one desktop."
+ Fleetwood Mac–-Former member Peter Green now has to work at a customer service desk.

+ iMac–-Includes a new FaceTime HD camera
+ Fleetwood Mac–-Stevie Nicks claims, "I've never had a face-lift."

http://clutch.mtv.com/2011/05/04/fle...mac-glee-imac/
Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tuesday, June 7, 2011
It's New to Me: Fleetwood Mac by Fleetwood Mac (1975)

I think I don't cop to my actual level of ignorance often enough on this blog. The truth is that I'm ignorant of most everything, including the chronology and lineups of the great Fleetwood Mac. A while back, I was introduced to Tusk, their too-arty, too-ambitious double-album follow-up to their biggest record, 1977's Rumours. I thought it might be one of the most perfect albums I'd heard, with a great mix of songwriting and musicianship, with an unearthly weirdness about it that can only come from doing craploads of cocaine. For me, the record stood alone, and I didn't feel any need to educate myself on how it fit into the band's larger oeuvre (I love using that word). But now I've ruined it by buying the band's 1975 eponymous record, which does nothing BUT bring questions to mind about where it comes from and why it is the way it is, forcing me to do a little research.

So Fleetwood Mac is actually the band's second eponymous album - the band's first album in 1968 was also called Fleetwood Mac, the beginning of the band's first incarnation with frontman Peter Green. The band's second well-known lineup featured guitarist Bob Welch, but he dropped out of the band by 1975 - this is when Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined the band, prompting a second self-titled record to emphasize that the band was "rebooting" itself. This is important context for this album because it does a lot to explain how the record sounds and why. The songwriting duties on the record are split between Buckingham, Nicks, and Christine McVie - the new implants were suddenly two-thirds of the band's creative input.

As a result, Fleetwood Mac is glossy but tentative-sounding. McVie's songs have an unadventurous, middle-of-the-road feel to them, even though "Over My Head" and "Say You Love Me" are undeniably poppy. Nicks' songs are arguably the most confident-sounding and less reliant on synergy with the rest of the band, particularly in the case of "Landslide" (a song I'd like a lot if the Smashing Pumpkins cover hadn't ruined it for me). The most disappointing thing about Fleetwood Mac for me is that Lindsey Buckingham's personality (such a big part of what I loved about Tusk) is nowhere to be found. His contributions to the album are fairly slight - "World Turning" is an unsuccessful attempt at tough-sounding rock, and the paranoid "I'm So Afraid" is an embryonic version of the weirdness that would come out of him later on. My favorite thing on the album is Buckingham's opening track, "Monday Morning", probably because it sounds the closest to a song that could have been on Tusk.

http://wiresandwaves.com/2011/06/its...od-mac-by.html
Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A super short one, heard this on Sirius Radio last night after "Seven Wonders" was played:

"There you have it, a lost 80's hit from the 'Big Mac'. A Christine McVie song, nice upbeat tune."
Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
A super short one, heard this on Sirius Radio last night after "Seven Wonders" was played:

"There you have it, a lost 80's hit from the 'Big Mac'. A Christine McVie song, nice upbeat tune."
It pays to be knowledgable.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, one of the guys formerly of radio too, Mark Goodman, I was surprised..

I don't know if I consider SW an upbeat tune either. What do you think Viv?