The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He's probably some 20 something who thinks Lindsey's a woman!
Old 10-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gerald - I deleted the other thread I posted w/ the same review - I didn't notice this one. You asked me what I thought of UTS - I haven't bought it yet! I like what I've heard so far, but I think I can already tell I won't like it as much as OOTC.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Gerald - I deleted the other thread I posted w/ the same review - I didn't notice this one. You asked me what I thought of UTS - I haven't bought it yet! I like what I've heard so far, but I think I can already tell I won't like it as much as OOTC.
I think, like LB has implied if not stated, this CD is not a pop CD - - it is focused on one element - or one style. If that style is not your cup of tea, your not going to like the CD, etc. It is not my cup of tea, but I see the vast talent behind it.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 10-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I think, like LB has implied if not stated, this CD is not a pop CD - - it is focused on one element - or one style. If that style is not your cup of tea, your not going to like the CD, etc. It is not my cup of tea, but I see the vast talent behind it.
I can totally relate to that strand. But even if it's not yer cupatea, I'm sure that if you give it multiple play it grows on you. There are some Save Me A Place whiny-irriation-parts on it. You know how that one grew to you. I had second thoughts by listening it the first ten times, but it's an album that's absolutely revealing a lot by invitating it under your skin.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I can totally relate to that strand. But even if it's not yer cupatea, I'm sure that if you give it multiple play it grows on you. There are some Save Me A Place whiny-irriation-parts on it. You know how that one grew to you. I had second thoughts by listening it the first ten times, but it's an album that's absolutely revealing a lot by invitating it under your skin.
I think the music (for the most part) is brilliant and he actually showed some restraint in the correct (to these ears places) -- its the voice that kind of gets to me. But, do not get me wrong, it is very listenable to me - Its just not my fav. from him - though I think it is good.

I like him best in songs like Trouble, Holiday Road, SMAP, etc. But, that is all just my own taste.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

well, I fell in love with SUD So friggin'hard that the rest of his voice on this album is not a prob anymore . But I can totally imagine that people get a turn-off of his vocals on this album. My girlfriend even walks out of the house when I play it.....And we're still together!!

Old 10-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

LOL - poor thing - trust me when I say many a person I dated will NEVER listen to FM or La Nicks again

Old 10-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the album a lot, and think it's definitely better than his first two albums, and on a par with Out of the Cradle (and I may even like it better than that one, but time will tell). It certainly blows most of what he did on SYW out of the water.

As far as getting back in the studio with FM...after hearing how brilliant this album is, I really am inclined to think the group drags him down (again, SYW).

Yeah, his voice has aged, but so what? At a certain point, it's all about what you do with what you've got anyway.

I don't see the "classic rock" crowd going for this at all, but it's their loss, and I certainly wouldn't let them dictate to me what a great album is.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Its not so much that his voice has aged - - I just think the almost whisper aspect is not the best presentation, though it is in line with the unplugged aspect, etc. All in all, I applaud LB for doing something so different and so musically challenging (I am unsure if that is the right description) -- I mean who else pushes the envelope like that. AND - he did it on SYW as well with Murrow, Miranda, and Come. The man is a mad genius, which is why IMO he is not as popular as many with lesser talent are. He reminds me of Peter Gabriel in his quirkyness - and to me, that is greatness to be mentioned in the same breath as Peter G. - - who, interestingly, I believe could not stand the mainstream nature of Genesis, which was brilliant, but not like Peter G.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Its not so much that his voice has aged - - I just think the almost whisper aspect is not the best presentation, though it is in line with the unplugged aspect, etc.
So, it's too mellow for your taste, in other words?

Quote:
All in all, I applaud LB for doing something so different and so musically challenging (I am unsure if that is the right description) -- I mean who else pushes the envelope like that. AND - he did it on SYW as well with Murrow, Miranda, and Come. The man is a mad genius, which is why IMO he is not as popular as many with lesser talent are. He reminds me of Peter Gabriel in his quirkyness - and to me, that is greatness to be mentioned in the same breath as Peter G. - - who, interestingly, I believe could not stand the mainstream nature of Genesis, which was brilliant, but not like Peter G.
See, to me, UTS is a very accessible album. Not "Go Your Own Way" accessible (which to me is kind of boring), but I totally don't get the charges that this album is "non-melodic," or you can't sing to it, or it needs a rhythm section. Am I nuts?

And I do like some of his stuff on SYW - Miranda, Say Goodbye, and Red Rover, especially. And I also think a lot of that was pretty accessible, too. Quirky, perhaps, but definitely very "pop."
Old 10-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah my personal opinion about music and movie critics is, they are stupid , they are lazy to get a real reporting job. to scared to get the real stories , instead
of writing bullcrap like this dumb review, ya this bozo just got "Under My Skin"
Give Lindsey a break.I've have not get the chance to get the cd yet, but I will be getting it very soon. but this idiot will not stop me.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
. . . And I also think a lot of that was pretty accessible, too. Quirky, perhaps, but definitely very "pop."
LB will always push the envelope and still be quasi mainstream - sort of like Prince - because LB sort of dicates that medium -- I mean when GYOW was released, it was rather unique and look at GDW - which I always will suggest was an ironic precursor to Tusk.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wasn't it John Lennon who said that most music critics are really just musical artists who couldn't make it...or something like that. I'm not affected too much by reviews anymore, especially as I've grown older. It used to matter so much what others thought, but now not so much. I think this is an album that needs to grow on people. The most upsetting thing to me, though, is some of the crap people are writing on Amazon.com. But, oh well...everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I believe it is a beautiful, fantastic piece of work. I'm in love with it. If others aren't, that's their loss I suppose.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 10-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Wasn't it John Lennon who said that most music critics are really just musical artists who couldn't make it...or something like that. I'm not affected too much by reviews anymore, especially as I've grown older. It used to matter so much what others thought, but now not so much. I think this is an album that needs to grow on people. The most upsetting thing to me, though, is some of the crap people are writing on Amazon.com. But, oh well...everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I believe it is a beautiful, fantastic piece of work. I'm in love with it. If others aren't, that's their loss I suppose.
What I can't stand is when the so called professionals write unlearned crap like this hack did. I mean if you are going to speak out against it, do the minimal research, which this fool did not do. I mean I can take someone saying it is not to their liking because they do not like the structure of the songs, the melodies, the writing, etc. But, this bozo dod not do that to any rational degree.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
well, I fell in love with SUD So friggin'hard that the rest of his voice on this album is not a prob anymore . But I can totally imagine that people get a turn-off of his vocals on this album. My girlfriend even walks out of the house when I play it.....And we're still together!!
Yeah, maybe I should have posted my review over on this thread intead of the "official "one. This is the exact problem, I have with this CD and honestly, I can understand how ur girlfriend can walk out of the house (because of the vocals).I hate to say it but there came a point where I had to just turn it off .It's just me, I love his quirky, upbeat, dark stuff and all this (for me) is just a bit too mushy.It's only my opinion, and on the whole it's nice to see all the positive reviews in general about it.I could actually try and listen to it numerous times in the hopes of it "growing " on me, but honestly, truly, I don't think I can do it (or really want to) Guess, this one is just not my cuppa tea...can't wait for it's sequel though