The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Should FM release the album without any SN-penned songs?
yes, there's no time to waste! 31 28.44%
no, they should keep waiting for SN, however long it takes 76 69.72%
we don't need no stinkin' FM album 2 1.83%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
My position is this...If Stevie is done recording with FM (and it's her choice) then FM needs to accept that and move on and quit wasting their time trying to "Get Stevie on board" and if they still want to put out new music with just the 4 that's fine...What ever happens just remember that they have all been recording in one way or another and we will soon have new music...
agree!

yes, except that soon for the Mac has been over 2 years now...

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post
Also ~ if she doesn't want to be there and she phones it in what's the use?? If she's unhappy being in the studio we'll get a bunch of crappy songs. Who wants that? I certainly don't.
Quote:
My take on it is that she doesn't want to record with FM anymore (and that probably means Lindsey). She keeps putting it off and now she's in Nashville recording solo tracks. I don't understand why she won't just give them a few demos and let them work on it. Lindsey keeps saying he needs her to bring something to the table and she hasn't so far. Instead she's working on a new solo album. I feel like she doesn't want to be there. And as Elle pointed out they released music without Lindsey and without Chris so why not without Stevie? It'll be something totally different and the Stevie fans will get new music from her anyway (assuming she hasn't opened the vault for the millionth time).
Quote:
You could be totally right and maybe she does kill 2 birds with one stone. Let's hope so but I don't think they should wait for her to come around. I'm with Elle: you have an album, release it with or without her.
all great points!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
all great points!
Thanks

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 04-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
albums don't sell anyway so why would that matter?

old acts release albums for their soul, and tour for the money and media hype. just looks at how many cobbled together old acts in their 60s are touring and raking in money for the last 2 years!! Rumours 5 are legendary and new kids will want to go see them for their legendary hits of the 5, not for the new material. although it's true that hipster kids will care whether they are still relevant and putting out new material.
I take your point, but I honestly think this whole planned studio release is motivated by a sense of "well... the fans REALLY want it", which would be lost if Stevie was missing. The "for their soul" argument sounds good on paper, but has this band honestly found working as a fivesome at all artistically gratifying or even enjoyable since 1977? Maybe very ocassionally, but for the most part I think these members wouldn't find it worth the hassle except for the fans. This move seems to be more about rewarding fan response (be it monetary or something more abstract) than anything else.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Should FM put out the record without Stevie??? YES!!! Lets' see how good a record without Stevie is and how well it sells...
It's not going to sell anyway. That's the point. Whatever fear they had 20 years ago about their lack of popularity without Stevie is a moot point now. They have to give up that fantasy of going gold or platinum, even with Stevie.

They shouldn't be trying for record sales. Will the record get critical attention? Yes and maybe more so when the press plays the band dissension angle. They might study the album more closely to grade it in light of Stevie's absence. This could bring them more criticism as critic after critic talks about what is missing without her (as they did with SYW) or it could bring them surprise praise. We don't know.

But this is not 1987 when they needed Stevie for record sales. Sadly, they won't be getting those with or without her.

Michele
Old 04-27-2014, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

At this point I think the "for their soul" albums are the solo albums. FM is always an attempt to be commercial / more successful, despite whatever guise it's labeled under, and despite the fact that they're simply not going to be in this day and age.

And if FM were to do a "for their soul," album, then in my mind that would certainly be the point when they wanted it to be all 5 of them.

Otherwise they'd all just guest on each other's solo projects, as they have in the past.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Unfortunately, if they do release an album without Stevie, they really lose all of the "WE'RE ALL BACK TOGETHER AGAIN YAY" media hype that's been built up around them over the past few months. Commercially it's not a smart move at all. Personally I couldn't care less about commercial success for Fleetwood Mac at this point, but history has shown that they obviously do.
But they get to exploit that same "we're all back together" hype for the On With the Show tour, so I think they will get their mileage out of that and it will be at the box office, which is more lucrative for them than album sales are anyway.

If Stevie were not touring with them, they'd have a real problem. Her presence on the album is not a problem. It could be if they are still trying to connect with a record label like Warner Bros. though. But they shouldn't be doing that. They need to change their mentality and grow (age) with the times.

Michele
Old 04-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I take your point, but I honestly think this whole planned studio release is motivated by a sense of "well... the fans REALLY want it", which would be lost if Stevie was missing. The "for their soul" argument sounds good on paper, but has this band honestly found working as a fivesome at all artistically gratifying or even enjoyable since 1977? Maybe very ocassionally, but for the most part I think these members wouldn't find it worth the hassle except for the fans. This move seems to be more about rewarding fan response (be it monetary or something more abstract) than anything else.
exactly! while as 4, Lindsey and Christine obviously enjoy working together as songwriters. so why not release what they can put together instead of trying to force what has not been working for decades?

they don't do any of it for the fans, let's not fool ourselves.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
exactly! while as 4, Lindsey and Christine obviously enjoy working together as songwriters. so why not release what they can put together instead of trying to force what has not been working for decades?

Very good point. I don't think they ever have.

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 04-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not trying to paint any of them as selfless anti-capitalist saints, or anything. Don't get me wrong! But I do think that, money aside, even having a bunch of fans gushing and going "OMG YOU GUYS ARE SO AMAZING ALL TOGETHER I AM SO HAPPY I COULD WRESTLE A RAINBOW" feels awesome and can be a really strong motivator to do something a certain way. Solo projects and a more fragmented incarnation of FM just don't give any of the members that kind of reward on the same scale. And I do think that sort of fanbase "high" is the main reason they want to do this as a fivesome. If it was just for artistic gratification then Lindsey and Christine would already be doing what we suggest. That's not what these guys have on the brain.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
yes my speculation is that Chris and Lindsey have been saying all this stuff lately since they were waiting for SN and were unsure when she'll be on board. that doesn't mean she'll be on board ever for an FM album, but they seem hopeful. Mick's "we're hoping" it will be fast, 2 weeks, tells me they are still waiting for her. and i just don't get that mentality. why wait and beg and try to coerce her for 5 years now, if she doesn't feel like it? let her do what she wants to do, and they can do what they want to, you know?
I get what you're saying -- but we don't even know that they're still having to beg or coerce her, or that she doesn't want to record with them. Sure, that was true of the very recent past -- but the past is still the past. Stevie's changed her mind before. When she left the band in 1991, she said she didn't foresee herself ever working with Fleetwood Mac again. Ultimately she did, saying that she "woke up one morning and realized I wasn't mad at anyone anymore." Things change.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, the prospect of recording an album last year, meant that it would be just her, Lindsey, Mick & John. Christine's return is a total game-changer.

So Stevie not wanting to record an album last year, doesn't automatically mean that she doesn't want to now. Neither does the fact that she hadn't yet committed to a "how" or "when."

I said weeks ago, that Stevie may have been waiting for Dave Stewart to be available, before she could commit to a time-frame with Fleetwood Mac (if Dave was to be the one producing her tracks). With this latest information, it's very possible that a new solo album had been on the cards for a while now -- and that it's the reason she couldn't definitively tell Fleetwood Mac, "I'll be available from this date to this date," because she didn't yet know.

Maybe Mick is "hoping" that she'll actually be done in two weeks, because they intend to go into the studio with her the minute she's back in LA.

Quote:
plus, i just don't get why you think FM should wait? don't you want more stuff out rather than less?
Well, for one thing, I highly doubt they have anything to release yet. Was a month & a half at the Village Recorders (if they were even there that long) enough time for Christine to record keyboards and vocals for Lindsey's five remaining Froom tracks, and for the band to completely record five or six of Christine's songs (some that, by her own admission, were in such raw demo form that Lindsey had to fashion them together)?

Seems like a tall order.

On top of that, they were working with limited involvement from John, due to his health issues. I would hope they'd be mindful to not over-tax him physically just to rush out a new album.

Quote:
i need this Mac album to come out. we've been waiting since 2012.

(and i need LB solo album. ASAP. )
Us "old dogs" waited ten years between 'Tango' and 'The Dance,' for this lineup to work together again. And another sixteen years after that. (We also waited fourteen years between Lindsey's solo albums, and ten years between Stevie's.)

I find the prospect of waiting one more year to be a cake-walk after all that.

I do understand how you feel, though, Elle. And I can't say that I was always this patient waiting for the band members to release material.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 04-27-2014 at 12:51 PM..
Old 04-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I've waited ten years between 'Tango' and 'The Dance,' for this lineup to work together again. And another sixteen years after that. (I've also waited fourteen years between Lindsey's solo albums, and ten years between Stevie's.)

Waiting one more year is a cake-walk after all that.

I do understand how you feel, though, Elle.
yes, but they are in their 60s and 70s now. time is not on their side, anymore.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post

And if FM were to do a "for their soul," album, then in my mind that would certainly be the point when they wanted it to be all 5 of them.
Except, for Stevie, recording with FM is not "for the soul," so the album can't be that for the 5 of them, since it's not that for her.

Michele
Old 04-27-2014, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yes, but they are in their 60s and 70s now. time is not on their side, anymore.
And it's already been 11 years since SYW. There's no need to keep waiting and hope something different will happen, since that hope has been extinguished before.

Michele
Old 04-27-2014, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If Stevie is done with a brand new solo album in 2 weeks, HELL even an EP, I'll eat my tambourine.