The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fan Crazed Over Upcoming Concert (article)

May 08, 2014 | Simcoe County

http://www.simcoe.com/opinion-story/...reunion-tours/

Crazed and confused over rock band reunion tours

Spaghetti For Breakfast the Alliston Herald

By Catherine Cunningham

ALLISTON - I have always wanted to see Fleetwood Mac in concert.

I love their Rumours album. Unfortunately I missed that album tour because I was 10. So 30 years later when it was announced that Christine McVie was reuniting with the band, I was ecstatic.

“Gord! Fleetwood Mac is reuniting! The original band is reuniting! Well not the original, original band! The later on original band! The band I like!”

“I’m happy for all of you sweetie. I’m making breakfast. Do you want any?”

“If they tour we need to see them!”

“Sure. Are we out of eggs?”

“No, they’re behind the butter. It was on sale so I stocked up. I went with the unsalted butter this time though. Let me know if you taste a difference. I love their music! We have to go!”

When the tour was eventually announced, I promptly got on the computer and found tickets.

“I found tickets!”

“To what?” asked my daughter.

“To Fleetwood Mac! Get your father! They’re coming in October. In October!”

“Dad! Mom said to tell you they’re coming in October!”

“Who?” Gord called from upstairs.

“Fleetwood Matt! Mom needs you to come downstairs please.”

“I found tickets,” I explained as he walked into the room. “The concert’s at the Air Canada Centre. The seats are in front of the stage –”

“Sounds great.”

“ – off to the right towards the back of the stadium. It’ll cost a few hundred dollars or so plus tax. What do you think?”

“You had me at ‘plus tax’.” Gord smiled. “Buy the tickets.”

My fingers hovered over the keyboard.

“But you know…” I began to mull, “If the concert’s selling out this quickly it’s going to be pretty crowded.”

“If the concert sold out slowly it would be just as crowded.”

“What if we sit near someone with an air horn? Or two air horns? Or what if the people in front of us have a big ‘We love Stevie Nicks’ sign that blocks our view? Which is kind of rude by the way. Either love them all or say nothing.”

“First of all,” said Gord, “Fleetwood Mac fans don’t strike me as air horn people. Present company excluded I think they’re a mellower crowd. And should it happen that anyone’s devotion to the band impedes your view, I will ask them to lower their written declarations of love.”

“I know you will. But what about all those people leaving at the same time? What if we’re all squished together and someone throws up because they drank too much? There will be middle-aged people at that concert trying to relive their youth. I know I shouldn’t judge. Maybe they just went to the concert before having fully recovered from the flu. I’m not sure of the scenario at this point. Either way it’s a bad end to the night.”

“Cath. You wanted to go to the concert. I want to take you and spend a ridiculous amount of money valet parking the car at a hotel because otherwise you’ll panic. It’ll be fun. Buy the tickets.”

“I have a better idea. Let’s wait and… nope that’s pretty much it. I don’t want to go.”

“You’re sure?”

“I’m more relaxed already. Hold on what’s this?”

I stared at the ticket website.

“Gord! Huey Lewis and the News are coming in July! The original band! And this time it really is the original original band. Were they ever not the original band? Anyway we have to get tickets! Gord? Where’d you go?”

“To grab a beer with Fleetwood Matt.”