Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

lmao at all the conjectures and warped logic in this one -

http://dlisted.com/2018/05/13/lindse...medium=twitter

Lindsey Buckingham Thinks His Firing From Fleetwood Mac Was Political
May 13, 2018 / Posted by: J Harvey

Sure, Fleetwood Mac is a legendary rock supergroup that could rest on their laurels and never have to work again. But retirement mansions in nice sections of Florida or Arizona can be pricey. They’re all in that stage of their lives and you would think everyone in the band could get along if only to keep those nostalgia tour dollars rolling in. Not so. With the backing of the rest of the band, co-lead singer Stevie Nicks used her fringed shawl-swathed arm and tambourine to gesture towards the exit for guitarist (and her ex) Lindsey Buckingham to leave the band this past April.

Medium reports that Lindsey spoke publicly for the first time about his dismissal while performing at a political fundraiser for Democratic Congressional candidate Mike Levin on Friday. He seems to be equating it with the current political landscape here in the US? Easy there, Lindsay. It was just a song about a Welsh witch and fallin’, fallin’, fallin’. Let’s not pump it up too much. You know you’ll be asked back when this next Buckingham-less tour doesn’t rake in as much cash as previous ones.

Lindsey was replaced with singer-guitarist Neil Finn from Crowded House and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell. The official reason for his firing was his supposedly refusing to go out on tour again.

“It’s been an interesting time on a lot of levels,” said Buckingham from the Los Feliz, California, backyard of fellow Levin donor Erica Rothschild. “For me, personally, probably some of you know that for the last three months I have sadly taken leave of my band of 43 years, Fleetwood Mac. This was not something that was really my doing or my choice.

As Lindsay went on, some rabid fan of his blamed it all on white witch Stevie and was rather eloquent about it.

“I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective [a female fan shouts, ‘F — k Stevie Nicks!,’ prompting Buckingham to raise his hand]. Well, it doesn’t really matter. The point is that they’d lost their perspective. What that did was to harm — and this is the only thing I’m really sad about, the rest of it becomes an opportunity — it harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build [another admirer chimes in, ‘That you built, Lindsey’]. That legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one’s higher truth and one’s higher destiny.”

And that’s when he equated the situation that led to his firing with the subversion of the US democratic process.

“Now, we also are at a point with our country in Washington where there’s been a loss of perspective. I think the difference was that perhaps there were more separations of powers. There was more potential for checks and balances in that loss of perspective. The loss of perspective we see now is indeed threatening to harm the legacy that is the United States.

Fleetwood Mac is scheduled to kick off a 52-date North American tour in Oklahma in October. Stevie herself spoke on her ex’s pink-slipping during a CBS This Morning appearance on April 25.

“This team wanted to get out on the road, and one of the members didn’t want to go out on the road for a year,” said Nicks. “We just couldn’t agree. When you’re in a band, it’s a team. I have a solo career. I love my solo career, and I’m the boss. But I’m not the boss in this band.”

You can not tell me that, since she broke out of her Klonopin haze, Stevie hasn’t found her sobriety threatened on the regular by having to share the stage with her ex. Those mic stand kicks are a little lower when the guy you broke up with years ago is is still necessary to your financial existence. She’s the boss alright. Stevie probably flew her ass Down Under to nab the Crowded House guy herself, and Tom Petty’s body was probably barely in the ground when she grabbed the other guy.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-13-2018, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
On the contrary she was so incensed by him leaving in 1987 that in her own words she ran across the room at him and tried to kill him.
Well that's true lol but after he was actually gone she had all these interviews saying she's happy and Billy and Rick don't have ego problems and she already let Lindsey go so it doesn't matter and that now they can make an actual rock and roll album etc. Then she changed her tune after a few years.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I definitely see your point, and agree that this new lineup will never experience a renaissance like they did when Lindsey and Stevie joined. However, that doesn't mean their legacy will be tarnished just because they will never have another #1 album of new material. Even with Lindsey, the band would never have had successes like they had in their prime. Radio won't play a new FM song no matter who is in the band.

Again, using the logic that the band should have gone out on top, then the Dance should have been the last we ever saw of Fleetwood Mac, when Christine left. Instead, Mick, John, Lindsey, and Stevie soldiered on and toured several more times and recorded twice without Christine- did that tarnish their legacy? No. I know you're going to respond by saying "but they fired Lindsey," but objectively speaking, it doesn't matter. If there is a problem, the band has the right to fire someone. Just like if there is a problem, a member has the right to quit the band. The band doesn't have to keep someone out of loyalty. It's harsh but true. All the band members have sacrificed things for FM, and they all got a huge return for their sacrifices.

More importantly, a FM touring lineup with Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, Neil Finn, and Mike Campbell could never be seen as a blemish on their history. In fact, if anything, history will probably say FM lived up their history of drama and lineup changes right up to the end.
I personally disagree. I think this totally tarnished their legacy and considering the backlash that extends far beyond the people on this board, I think most people agree. lol, even Judd Apatow compared it to a coup. All this does is make them look immature and greedy. The "FM is all about the drama thing" is cute when you're talking about them in the 70s and 80s when they were young and hot and on a bunch of cocaine. When they're all senior citizens, they just look ridiculous.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Spot on.

I truly think the band underestimates the level that Lindsey took them to. They should have just called it a day. Because.this.is.embarrassing.
as I have said before, they must be all coked up again if they don't think this is going to affect their legacy. They didn't learn their lesson with Time and must have been comatose to not notice that Lindsey brought them back to No. 1 with The Dance.

This really hurt me as a fan. I feel Lindsey deserved better and it's obvious who is responsible. Perspective was lost when a certain member said albums don't sell anymore.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonfan View Post
Perspective was lost when a certain member said albums don't sell anymore.
That group member refused to record because she claimed new music from the Rumours lineup wouldn't sell but apparently has changed her tune regarding new music from this Post-Rumours lineup.

Anyone who thinks a Post-Rumours group album would outsell a Rumours group album is living in some kind of fantasy world.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
That group member refused to record because she claimed new music from the Rumours lineup wouldn't sell but apparently has changed her tune regarding new music from this Post-Rumours lineup.

Anyone who thinks a Post-Rumours group album would outsell a Rumours group album is living in some kind of fantasy world.
it's sickening. and how when Christine came back there was a recognition that the '5' were really 'it' and the other incarnations were lesser.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonfan View Post
it's sickening. and how when Christine came back there was a recognition that the '5' were really 'it' and the other incarnations were lesser.
It truly is sickening. You know, Time and BTM were a different era for the band. They were YOUNG, and exploration with new members was still possible.

But the legacy that they Rumours 5 has created, is set in stone now. Especially since they're all getting near the jumping off point in life. IT'S A GOD DAMNED SHAME that that old witch got her way, and RUINED the f*cking band legacy that I've followed my whole life.

I hope her jumping off point comes first!
Old 05-13-2018, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It truly is sickening. You know, Time and BTM were a different era for the band. They were YOUNG, and exploration with new members was still possible.

But the legacy that they Rumours 5 has created, is set in stone now. Especially since they're all getting near the jumping off point in life. IT'S A GOD DAMNED SHAME that that old witch got her way, and RUINED the f*cking band legacy that I've followed my whole life.

also, the leaving then was voluntary, not forced, and with that you can shrug and like /dislike whatever happens from then on. I ignore post '87 Mac outside the Dance. ..and I love BuckVie.
This was ungrateful to Lindsey for his importance in the band and so contradicts their own statements it really has affected how I look at them! It is upsetting to me! yes...I know, larger issues in life etc. but I've followed that band and respected previous decisions but not this one! I could even accept them firing Danny Kirwan but that was due to his personal issues and unprofessional behavior.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have no idea what happened. So many people are so sure this was all Stevie. Remember - he left in 87 right before the tour was to begin. There are also reports of how violent he had been to her on occasion. There are reports of some things he did to embarrass her on stage. None of us have any idea what really happens behind the scenes in this band especially between Stevie and Lindsey. I think people need to cool down on Stevie. We are all heartbroken this might be how it ends. But we don't know how this all went down. We don't know what happens in those rooms when they are together. We don't know how they treat each other and what really is said.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalzaretta View Post
I have no idea what happened. So many people are so sure this was all Stevie. Remember - he left in 87 right before the tour was to begin. There are also reports of how violent he had been to her on occasion. There are reports of some things he did to embarrass her on stage. None of us have any idea what really happens behind the scenes in this band especially between Stevie and Lindsey. I think people need to cool down on Stevie. We are all heartbroken this might be how it ends. But we don't know how this all went down. We don't know what happens in those rooms when they are together. We don't know how they treat each other and what really is said.
Taking that into consideration... it’s still pretty obvious it’s the goats fault. I take that back , Gumby and the goat.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have no idea what happened.
here's what we do know:
  • Lindsey says "this is not my doing or my choice"
  • Stevie says they did this because "i want to be happy and dance around my house the next 10 years"
conclusion? she's not happy when Lindsey is around so she purged him from the band.

why didn't she leave instead if the band with LB wasn't making her happy? not clear. maybe Mick wouldn't let her since she's his meal ticket.

translation of what Lindsey says for people who need it - i did nothing to cause this and i did not want to leave; but some people in the band lost their perspective.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-13-2018, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I hope that too but she's a witch, so.... Lindsey will probably be the first one.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
All too true, Steve. The upcoming tour is a copy of a copy of a . . . every Fleetwood Mac tour since 2003. Its legacy will be only one of commercial conquest. But the band legacy could have been something more substantial if Mick and Stevie had agreed to a new album under the band name. They did not. Even if an album doesn't score commercially, it still makes a statement about wanting to live and create in the Here and Now. Stevie and Mick don't seem to care about making such a statement. They back away from recording because of commercial reasons. That's the legacy the fans on the board here are referring to: the legacy of "If it doesn't fill our coffers, we won't bother doing it."
That’s why I was angry last year. But, I was told it really didn’t matter, it was still a good album. I saw this coming a mile away, so at least they got credible musicians this time out.

Quote:
That's a polite way to put it -- that's how Lindsey put it the last two or three arena tours of classic rock hits. I don't think he believed much of it.
Neither do I. He was towing the company line and getting his bag of money. Just like he towed the line and said “it just felt like a duet album.”

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-13-2018, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Okay. I can't make my point any clearer. If you can't, or won't see it, then so be it. Sometimes it IS that black and white.
Yes, let’s ask a 75 year old to choose between a close friend of 50 years and her former husband/now considers a brother over someone who isn’t necessarily a close friend, but a creative partner/bandmate/co-worker to pick a loyalty over a decision she didn’t agree with. As far as Chris is concerned, Lindsey is/was a bandmate whom she held in the highest regard, Mick and John are family. Big difference.

Christine was there for the history of Fleetwood Mac that actually mattered (1968-1998). She was there with Peter Green (as a session player), joined the band shortly after Green’s departure, and stayed with them for the better part of 27 years, suffering through the revolving door of personnel only to become the band’s chief hit writer. Fleetwood Mac has really been her life, and I think it’s unreasonable to hold her to some unreasonable, unrealistic standard based on something we don’t have enough information to accurately judge.

I doubt even Lindsey would expect her to pick sides on this, hence his factions comments. He gets it. Too bad some of his fans don’t. They have all made it clear that she had nothing to do with the decision. To expect that she would leave is ludicrous, and to think she could have stopped something that had already happened isn’t too far behind.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-13-2018, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And remember she was violent with him too. She said she flew off of the couch and wanted to kill him when he said he wanted to leave in '87. She also stole his spotlight onstage several times which is why he kicked her. I DO NOT condone his behavior but there are 2 sides to every story. She herself said she knows how to push his buttons.
I agree that we don't know what really happened between SnL behind the scenes. But if you compare the CBS interview that the band did and what Lindsey said last Friday, it's crystal clear to me that she had a hand in his being fired. I think when someone said:"F*ck Stevie Nicks" and she had nothing to do with it he would have stood up for her.

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced