Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Questions about the outtakes and reissues

I'm a little confused about some of the outtakes and demos on the Wild Heart reissue. Ok, make that very confused!

1) I remember reading in Rolling Stone before OSOTM came out that Dial the Number was going to be on that album, which it wasn't. So why is it on the Wild Heart reissue if it was planned for OSOTM?

2) I Sing For the Things- why would this outtake be on the Wild Heart reissue when it was recorded for Rock a Little?

3) Not a question but a statement- did anyone else notice the way the writer of the liner notes left the door WIDE open for the possibility that Rock a Little was going to be reissued? From what I've read, that album could easily have 2 discs of unreleased material, not to mention a live disc of the tour. I have a feeling that one is going to be just as good as Bella Donna and the Wild Heart!
Old 11-06-2016, 10:35 AM

From the Ivory keys archive we know that those songs were written actually many years before they made it on an album, like it's often the case for Stevie's songs.

The first demo of Dial the number dates back to The Wild Heart sessions:
Stevie wrote her lyrics for "Dial The Number" in 1982 and set them to a Sandy Stewart instrumental. After not making it on The Wild Heart, Stevie would re-record "Dial The Number" in 1988 for The Other Side Of The Mirror, where it also failed to make the final cut.

The first demo of I sing for the things instead dates back even before the Wild Heart:
When a Master Reel popped up in the Early 2000s with a piano demo of “I Sing For The Things” on it dated 1981, that pushed the date back on when fans thought Stevie wrote the song, realizing it was older than 1984 or 1985. Stevie’s piano demo is very simple and beautiful, and the album version follows her original sound for the song.
However, Stevie would also record a bouncy, uptempo version of “I Sing For The Things” with a definite Prince/“Manic Monday” feel to it. Eventually, though, she would go with a ballad version to include on Rock A Little.

Yes, I noticed that too, and I hope it is the case!
Old 11-13-2016, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just saw your reply, thanks so much! Your explanation makes total sense. Keeping an eye out for a Deluxe Tango, followed by a Deluxe Rock a Little.