User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Billy never toured with Christine. He worked on her album and did the Country Club show in December 1983. He did not do the tour. Todd Sharpe and Steven Breitman (spelling) were the guitarists on the tour.

The venues may have held thousands but unfortunately the tour did not fill those venues. The article that is linked to this thread has a press article about her opening night in Fresno that only attracted 800 people. Fleetwood Mac has their peak audiences in LA and San Francisco and she only had 800 in Fresno. I was in shock when there were only about 200 in Pittsburgh. The bootleg of Milwaukee the audience is silent which makes Chris say....."its so quiet here."
This topic always strikes a nerve with me even as a teenager in 1984. I don't understand where Mac fans went because they sure were not loyal to Chris. She sang some of the biggest hits of the 70s and 80s and had a hit solo album with a top 10 single and another one in the top 40. 2 videos on MTV with heavy rotation, appearing on Solid Gold and American Bandstand. But Mac fans never supported Chris on her tour. Can you imagine the HUGE hit Hold me from 1982 followed by the top 10 hit Got A Hold on Me in concert? What a concert!
Sadly Lindsey and Mick never attracted huge crowds solo either. But Chris sung most of the hits so she should have been a much bigger draw.

*****sorry, just had to vent......off the soap box now *****
Christine did not leave that tour unscathed. After her solo venture, she returned to the Mac and increasingly referred to herself in interviews as a side player. In 1997, she told an interviewer she "lacked the charisma" to tour by herself. Given her comments in a recent interview about overcoming her insecurities as a performer, I'd say her doubts about her ability to connect with a large fan base on her own may have had something to do with her unwillingness to promote In the Meantime. Her fear of flying may, too, have been tied in with some of those insecurities.

It is true that her solo shows were rather tame in comparison to Mac concerts. She didn't take enough risks to do something that would distinguish her. As David said, she might have sparked more interest by pairing down the shows and featuring herself as a blues pianist/singer. I think that would have gotten her critical attention at least. And I'd have loved to hear such a show!
Old 07-20-2015, 05:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Christine did not leave that tour unscathed. After her solo venture, she returned to the Mac and increasingly referred to herself in interviews as a side player. In 1997, she told an interviewer she "lacked the charisma" to tour by herself. Given her comments in a recent interview about overcoming her insecurities as a performer, I'd say her doubts about her ability to connect with a large fan base on her own may have had something to do with her unwillingness to promote In the Meantime. Her fear of flying may, too, have been tied in with some of those insecurities.

It is true that her solo shows were rather tame in comparison to Mac concerts. She didn't take enough risks to do something that would distinguish her. As David said, she might have sparked more interest by pairing down the shows and featuring herself as a blues pianist/singer. I think that would have gotten her critical attention at least. And I'd have loved to hear such a show!
I agree with what you say. But I like the authentic Chris. She is not flashy or tries to be something she is not. The fact that she lacks charisma makes me love her even more. Its about the music to me and with Chris you will never find a better singer and performer in the studio or live. Yes most will say how much underappreciated she is with the Mac. But her joining the group was equally changing like when Buckingham/Nicks joined. Chris is such a fantastic songwriter. When I listen to the old Mac albums with Chris.....her songs are always my favorite. I don't think there is any song recorded by Chris that I hate. Her sultry vocals, her lyrics, and her seriousness of a performer always pulls me in.
That is why I think In the Meantime is a lost treasure. How lucky her nephew got her playing again in 2003 for a 2004 release. When I first listened to it.... I thought it was good. It took me a little while to fully appreciate the masterpiece it truly is. No padding.... no filler and maybe no charisma but one of the few records I put on and listen to song after song. Its not supposed to be daring or ground breaking. Its just well written and performed music. And that is what you get in a solo concert too. Thank goodness Chris does not have a shtick.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As David said, she might have sparked more interest by pairing down the shows and featuring herself as a blues pianist/singer. I think that would have gotten her critical attention at least. And I'd have loved to hear such a show!
I think she could have done a segment in the show like that. Just two songs, her with her piano doing blues songs. She could have done "Get Like You Used To Be" and one other blues chestnut that she loves. Actually, the band could have accompanied her as long as the piano was the main instrument. Now that would have been something memorable!
Old 07-20-2015, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I agree with what you say. But I like the authentic Chris. She is not flashy or tries to be something she is not. The fact that she lacks charisma makes me love her even more. Its about the music to me and with Chris you will never find a better singer and performer in the studio or live. Yes most will say how much underappreciated she is with the Mac. But her joining the group was equally changing like when Buckingham/Nicks joined. Chris is such a fantastic songwriter. When I listen to the old Mac albums with Chris.....her songs are always my favorite. I don't think there is any song recorded by Chris that I hate. Her sultry vocals, her lyrics, and her seriousness of a performer always pulls me in.
That is why I think In the Meantime is a lost treasure. How lucky her nephew got her playing again in 2003 for a 2004 release. When I first listened to it.... I thought it was good. It took me a little while to fully appreciate the masterpiece it truly is. No padding.... no filler and maybe no charisma but one of the few records I put on and listen to song after song. Its not supposed to be daring or ground breaking. Its just well written and performed music. And that is what you get in a solo concert too. Thank goodness Chris does not have a shtick.
I love In the Meantime. To me, it's miles better than the 1984 album. Hardly a weak moment on it. And I DO think she displayed a low-key charisma on it. It's just that her subtle brand of musicianship attracts only the discerning ears.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I think she could have done a segment in the show like that. Just two songs, her with her piano doing blues songs. She could have done "Get Like You Used To Be" and one other blues chestnut that she loves. Actually, the band could have accompanied her as long as the piano was the main instrument. Now that would have been something memorable!
I agree with that thought. It would have been the highlight of the show.

The thing is...Christine thrives within the context of an ensemble band. She never had aspirations to the central singer/leader of the band. Fleetwood Mac, with other singers/songwriters, has been the perfect platform for her to showcase her talents. She doesn't have the drive nor the charisma to sustain a solo career on the level of Steve or Lindsey.

That solo tour was rather an anomaly of sorts for her; just a one-off venture. But I'm glad she did it, and I'm happy we have her work with Chicken Shack, the Christine Perfect album, the Christine McVie album, and the surprise-out of the blue album In the Meantime -- a very fine album of songs-- some which sound like lost Fleetwood Mac numbers. I love her stray solo covers of "I Can't Help Falling in Love with You" and "Roll With Me Henry," both which have the instrumental support of various Mac members.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-21-2015 at 01:52 AM..
Old 07-21-2015, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I love In the Meantime. To me, it's miles better than the 1984 album. Hardly a weak moment on it. And I DO think she displayed a low-key charisma on it. It's just that her subtle brand of musicianship attracts only the discerning ears.
I totally agree. I also prefer In the Meantime to the CM album. Someone used the word "authentic" in this thread. I love ITM for its authenticity. It lacks the big production of the 1984 album and sounds like you're sitting in Christine's (or maybe her nephew's) living room listening to them play.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
So finely articulated!