The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Gladwell told The Atlantic "the speech in question was about the history of the rock band Fleetwood Mac," but apparently at least one small business owner found it inspiring.
"Malcolm Gladwell has been a source of inspiration for me and my business for many years. I was thrilled that Bank of America provided the opportunity for me to hear his perspective on how hard work leads to business success," said Tom Kristof, founder of the Sozo Center for Assisted Living and Advancement in Gainesville, Texas in Bank of America's press release.
This is all a bit strange, but if Bank of America thinks it worth promoting, that's their business.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11313...ness-spin.html
Old 11-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac reference on "One Life to Live"

Don't know if we have any OLTL fans here, but they referenced Fleetwood Mac on Tuesday's episode.

Sleazy producer Rick Powers wants Starr Manning's soon-to-be-started music career filled with drama and angst.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Don't know if we have any OLTL fans here, but they referenced Fleetwood Mac on Tuesday's episode.
It's my favorite show. I taped it but haven't watched this yet. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt of GQ Interview with Ryan Policky of Shoreline Dream
http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/enterta...ream-interview

How did you end up covering "The Chain"?

"The Chain" was a challenge. It was something to make us think outside of our own songwriting. It just made sense to do a Fleetwood Mac song - they always sounded huge. Their songwriting was top notch, and I personally feel that they could have written a million hits at the time if they had the energy to make it happen. They were huge in tonal qualities at a time that was stagnant in production style. They had such a long history and the fact they turned from this amazing Peter Green lead blues outfit to this anthemic pop rock entity is in itself totally unique.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From a blog, Zhisou 11-25-11

http://zhisou.wordpress.com/2011/11/...id-like-to-be/

I am not made of stone. I can appreciate great art. I got a rush of goose-pimples at the brush stroke on a painting in the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam, a golden smear of pain on the front-wheel of a wagon. I could see the human hand in the movement of the brush, like if you listen to the opening chords of Fleetwood Mac’s “Oh Well” with headphones, you don’t just hear the guitar; you hear the guitarist. I cried like a girl at Johnny Cash’s version of “One” for weeks until I was able to hold myself together. It’s goose-pimply good.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.dailycamera.com/music/ci_19435440

Barry Fey, famed concert promoter, takes readers through his 'Backstage Past'
Daily Camera
By Clay Evans, Camera Staff Writer Barry Fey, concert promoter, faces 61500 rock n roll fans at the University of Colorado s Folsom Field on May 1, 1977 when Fleetwood Mac, Bob Seeger, Firefall and John Sebastian played the Boulder stadium. ...
Old 11-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://punkturns30.blogspot.com/2011...o-do-with.html

What does Stevie Nicks have to do with punk rock? Well, nothing, really. But she's totally gonna help me raise money to put together my coffee table book of images from my traveling photo exhibit, Unguarded Moments: Backstage and Beyond.

Stevie and the rest of the Rumours line up of Fleetwood Mac (I was rather fond of the original Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer line-up myself), aside from being world renown hitmakers, are among the musicians I have photographed in my lifetime and the photos of the first Buckingham-Nicks performances with Fleetwood Mac are an intrinsic part of my life in the Central Coast beach suburb that informed my perspective.

You will see these photos of Fleetwood Mac in my book's intro.

So, I have decided to offer select images from the 1976 line-up of Fleetwood Mac, featuring the earliest appearances of Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. They'll make a great Christmas Gift for the classic rock fan on your gift list.

These photos were taken at the UCSB stadium where Fleetwood Mac performed on May 2, 1976 - or that's the date on my envelope that contained these negatives. I also saw them open for the Faces in August of 1975 and was a bit confused by the presence of new members, Buckingham and Nicks. Confusion was negated by a decent version of "Oh Well," and once the Faces hit the stage, nothing that preceded them mattered.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Going For The Gold: Fleetwood Mac’s “Dreams” and “Landslide”

Yeah, Roberta Flack has won the race down the Yellow Brick Road to Gold RecordLand (per our Going for the Gold post yesterday) but the F’Mac have managed to grab two goldies over the years.

Album-wise, we should mention, the Fleetwood’s have been massively successful selling groups of millions (even beyond their 13 ka-million selling Rumours disc). But, single-wise, they’re farther back into the pack.

There was one in 1977, it was on Rumours and it was the Stevie Nicks showcase, “Dreams.” It was a #1, of course, hanging at the highest spot for a week of its three-month run and sold a million copies within a few months of its release.

“Landslide” is the rare song that has become a million-seller well after its debut.

It was originally released on the first Fleetwood Mac album that included Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham. Its many incarnations — there are seven different albums where you can find the FM version of the song — along with its appearance on Glee and the hit cover version by the Dixie Chicks has made it a million-seller in the digital realm (albeit not in its original vinyl format).

Top 5 Scrobbled Songs By Fleetwood Mac

Go Your Own Way
Dreams
Don't Stop
The Chain
You Make Loving Fun

http://wnew.radio.com/2011/12/02/goi...and-landslide/
Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I hope they didn't believe the idiot's answer

Did Fleetwood Mac sing Constant Craving? - Yahoo! Answers
No it was the eurythmics ...
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9201618AAKRA4D
Old 12-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from a NY Times article about the Hall of Fame.

I think FM sales spiked because of the Dance, not the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/bu...XqWEMuV9XdkDGQ

THIS hall-of-fame effect is well established in the recording industry. For instance, sales of Bee Gees albums surged to 1.1 million in 1997, the year of the group’s induction, from 210,000 in 1996. Sales of Fleetwood Mac albums jumped to 3.2 million in 1998, when that band was inducted, from 483,000 in 1997, according to SoundScan.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from Review of Love Goes to Buildings on Fire—Five Years in New York That Changed Music ForeverBy Will Hermes (2011, Faber & Faber)

http://scribblers.us/?p=2229&utm_sou...om-will-hermes

If anyone is shortchanged, it’s the superstars of the time, those who made the cover of Rolling Stone throughout the ‘70s: Fleetwood Mac, for instance, gets a single mention, and that’s a backhanded comment about the band’s cocaine use. Tom Petty’s sole appearance is due to his purloining the name Heartbreakers for his back-up band, a blow to Johnny Thunders.

It plays like a culturally diverse 20th century soap opera, the characters crossing paths in ways which can seem forced or fanciful. Landmarks like CBGB’s or the gay cruising corner of 53rd and 3rd start seeming like theater backdrops.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk/fle...96690/&bklist=

£30!?

~Love is my higher power. Family is my strength. Art is my passion - Kat Von D
Old 12-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[FM hasn't had a new cd recently]

Singer Jez Lowe discussing the music business:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-30004791/

“Even Fleetwood Mac, who sold millions over the years, had to finance their own CD recently. For people like myself, we just carry on like we always have done.”
Old 12-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Congratulations Molly!

LMU film festival crowns animated film as Best Picture

Posted on November 3, 2011
by Brandon Cudequest

Anyone who follows film award ceremonies would be shocked to know that last Saturday, Oct. 29, a documentary and animated short received a majority of the attention and applause at the School of Film and Television's (SFTV) annual Film Outside the Frame festival. The event showcases the best student projects from the past year as voted on by a board of faculty and industry professionals. This year, the voters proved that documentaries and animated shorts are just as powerful of mediums as dramatic shorts, when "Sounds like a Story" and "Photographs" took home three awards each. The two films fought tough competition from other student works about soldiers, sleazy motels and CGI shadows.

"I was a deer in headlights. There were so many people to thank. The film has been rewarding since day one of shooting, and it continues to be," film production graduate Molly McVie said of her win. McVie's documentary "Sounds Like A Story" was about the lives of Fleetwood Mac's sound technicians. The film won awards in the Sound Design, Editing and Documentary categories

The highest honors of the night - recognition in the Animation, Best Director and Best Picture categories - were split between Christina Manrique, ‘11, and Brendan Clogher's, ‘10, "Photographs." "We are [grateful] that an animation film won Best Picture. We worked really hard for this and are happy to be here," Manrique said. Clogher summed up the night by saying, "Film school is a community. Whether you win, receive a nomination or come to support, you are rooting for your own team."

Though the night was extremely competitive, the environment was anything but hostile. "I just want people to see my film because a lot of people put effort into making it what it is. Surround yourself with the best to get the best," senior production major Nicolas Litonjua said. His film "Call to Arms" received the Student Choice Award. Junior recording arts major Claire Morison reflected similar sentiments: "Everyone who is here tonight is super talented. It was just an honor to the nominee."

Film Outside the Frame placed a large emphasis on community by honoring past alumni's accomplishments alongside current students' work. "What you will see tonight is a calling card for when students go out into the field. The strength of our program is reflected in our alumni," SFTV Dean Steve Ujlaki said in his opening remarks.

Alumnus Francie Calfo, ‘89, received the Outstanding Achievement in Television Award. After graduating from LMU with a degree in communication studies, Calfo has helped bring shows like "Lost," "Grey's Anatomy" and "Ugly Betty" to television sets. Francis Lawrence, ‘91, who has shot music videos for many pop stars and directed "Water for Elephants," "I Am Legend" and "Constantine," received the Distinguished Alumni Award. "After 20 years, I can see the school is overflowing with opportunity. The tools that are available allow students to start their careers now. Write as much as you can, film every day and build a reel," Lawrence encouraged.

2011 Winners: Film Outside the Frame Festival

Cub Award

Arden Tse,

"Soup"

Silver Lion

Adam Lee,

"Mirror Motel"

Golden Lion

Ryan Latchmansingh,

"Where the Sun Sets"

Cinematography

Jacob Braafladt,

"Shadowplay"

Animation

Christina Manrique & Brendan Clogher, "Photographs"

Student Choice Award

Nicolas Litonjua,

"Call to Arms"

Editing Award

Molly McVie,

"Sounds Like A Story"

Documentary

Molly McVie,

"Sounds Like A Story"

Production Design

Kate Rhamey,

"The Mirror Motel"

Screenplay or Teleplay

Colleen Marshall,

"Peace of Glass"

Director

Best Picture

Old 12-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Sydney Morning Herald: This comparison was made in a discussion about Australian politics]

What the ad lacks is a single clear compelling insight. Instead, it jams together a whole hotchpotch of half ideas. We get the "disaster" theme, some "ripoffs", a "prices going through the roof" gag, a sinister hint at the Greens' role in government, the unanswered question "why did you lie to us?" and a rather flat "who's gonna pay?" climax. Meanwhile, the drums pound away, as irritating and pointless as a Mick Fleetwood drum solo in the middle of a Mac concert.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...#ixzz1i4zpd6Zn