Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
If the EU shatters it will be the end of the world as we know it. It could even start a new age of wars, as the EU is the principle responsible of the european status quo of the last 60 years.
Lets hope to god that doesn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
very interesting article...
Just one flaw , it makes Cameron seem intelligent .
Whereas I see him as one half of double act...him and Bozo make a good Laurel and Hardy...

"Here's another nice mess you got me into"..
Yes they make a good team

Seems like Jamie Oliver isn't a fan of Boris, he's started a campaign -
#BuggerOffBoris

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...nson-become-pm
Old 06-27-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Who will be the next to leave? Bet the Brits aren't the only one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
Lets hope to god that doesn't happen.
I also hope it. However it still won't happen at least for a long time because the UE is still a power that is needed for the members states. Also the England gave an example that won't easily be forgotten. Let's not forget that United Nations balance, economically and not, also the west forces. If this one day balance cracks, China, North-Korea and Russia will be stronger.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Very good article explaining the referendum and how our democracy works, and how Brexit may not happen.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ent-act-europe

Last edited by MoonSister75; 06-27-2016 at 08:06 AM..
Old 06-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Who will be the next to leave? Bet the Brits aren't the only one.
Heres Mr Jones about Brexit .

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 06-27-2016, 10:57 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
the Stupid and the Racist are. *snip*
You responded to that incorrectly. Your comment should read "The stupid and the racist do." (You're welcome.)
Old 06-27-2016, 11:11 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire Girl View Post
You responded to that incorrectly. Your comment should read "The stupid and the racist do." (You're welcome.)
still wondering how I have Class Envy ?

thanks , what ever it takes to makes you feel superior

Last edited by olive; 06-27-2016 at 11:22 AM..
Old 06-27-2016, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire Girl View Post
The 30 seconds of your life it took you to type that... you'll never ever get them back again!
Old 06-27-2016, 02:03 PM

Default An interesting view of the other side

These European leaders deserve the Brexit
In the referendum there was the victory of the "class-vote," says sociologist Saskia Sassen, a professor at Columbia University in New York. Because behind there is "a deep sense of anger and injustice," and the hatred against the political leaders of the Continent
GIULIANO BATTISTON

One vote, of a class, against the arrogance of European leadership and the insistence with which adopted economic policies which have enriched a few and impoverished many. That's how Saskia Sassen, an authoritative scholar of globalization processes, interprets the vote that will lead the UK out of the EU.
More than nationalism and the claim of the lost sovereignity, in that vote is "a deep anger, a deep sense of injustice", told to the Espresso the Professor of Sociology at Columbia University. A rage and injustice to which the European leadership has not been able to answer, if not with the arrogance and blindness with which it has continued to adopt the neoliberal economic model, the origin of anger and injustice. For this, the political class' deserves Brexit. They have gone too far. "

Professor Sassen, for the founding countries of the European Union Brexit is "a watershed in the history of Europe." To some observers it is putting into question the international order created after 1945 in liberal systems. Do you also believes it is the end of an era?
European leaders are right to consider this moment crucial, from their point of view. But there is another point of view which should be taken into account. This other view angle is represented by young people: for them, "Europe" is a formation of completely different nature. It is their future "operational space", a kind of natural space, perceived and lived in a way that is not comparable to that of many older Europeans, anchored to their local sub-national realities, for which the European Union has represented even an exaggeration. Seen from a not too distant future, this vote will appear bizarre, abnormal, rather than dramatic as it appears now.

For "optimistics", the crisis triggered by the Brexit is an opportunity to take leave of the neoliberal agenda. For the former Finance Minister of greece Varoufakis instead there is the risk that may arise "an iron cage of permanent austerity." What do you think?
I agree that there are obvious risks. This is the central question: the neo-liberal agenda that has dominated more and more evidently the major economic policy decisions, not counting the small decisions, largely invisible. If we look at the major decisions taken in recent years in Europe, the picture is bleak: the way in which the leadership of the European Union handled the Greek crisis, the insistence with which the austerity policies were adopted despite being counterproductive , and so on. If we consider all this, there is no doubt: European leadership deserves Brexit. They have gone too far.

Among those who voted Brexit, there are thosewho did it to reclaim sovereignity and national independence from the forces of globalization and its negative effects. An overly simplistic view?
The Brexit actually goes towards what I define as a phase of re-nationalization of what had been de-nationalized. But if we look to the fact that the poorest areas of Britain, those in which the unemployment rate is higher, are those who have voted in favor of Brexit, while more than 70 per cent of Londoners voted to remain within the EU European, is slammed in our faces the question of class, too long removed. I understand the anger of the classes of low-end workers and those of the middle class who, day after day, are losing ground, while the arrogant British Chancellor Osborne continues to cut by half the population benefits and services.
Here we are not dealing with nationalism in the strict sense. It is rather a deep anger and a deep sense of injustice. The rhetoric of the nationalists, which reads "we resumed our country's sovereignty" is nothing but the result of the absence of a deeper language, the more frustrated and angry, who played a central role in the outcome of the vote. It is not nationalism, it is survival.

Yet the immigration issue seems to have played an important role in the orientation of the vote. Are not you afraid that the Brexit strengthen ultra-nationalism, populism and the xenophobic right?
It is tragic, but secondary, the fact that for many the only clear, simple, direct language is the one that says "stop immigrants. " As if it were the real problem. Not so. As I explained in my last book, Expulsions, the real problem is an economic phase and a particular conception of the economy opened in the eighties of the twentieth century. That phase has not yet ended. Even today they continue to extract resources and value from 60 percent of the population, while the well-being is concentrated in 20 percent of the population belongs to the higher end. Tis is the real question.

In your famous book on global cities, published many years ago, you included London between the first three global cities of the planet, as a strategic place for the global financial and economic systems. The exit of the United Kingdom by the EU affect the status of London as a hub of global finance? Could other European cities take advantage of that?
The more established companies could leave London. But the central point is the complexity of the London financial markets. The companies are in fact something different from the financial markets. In the case of the markets, leaving is much more complicated. I believe that the core will remain. As I have already had occasion to say, it is important to remember that the London Stock Exchange is owned by the Frankfurt Stock Exchange. I think it should be in the interests of Frankfurt's financial industry to maintain that foothold in London, keep alive that complex open platform that is the financial center of London. you can not simply transfer it in full, because it is not only constituted by different companies, it is a real connected system. Frankfurt will transfer from London some components of the system, some companies, the most consolidated. But the innovating function and the speculative market I believe will remain in London, which will continue to be a global city.

Sediq Khan, the new mayor of London, argued that Europeans who live in London will continue to be welcomed. Up to what point can London remain a European and global city, if the rest of the country goes in the opposite direction?
What has been shown by the vote is the extent to which London and the region which it belongs to are different, so to say. It is a central aspect, tell-tale, to which few so far have reserved due attention. I think that the vote has brought to surface the errors of ​​the biggest players of the London financial world and the profound effects that have resulted. The high concentration of wealth in a few hands, while the rest of the country is impoverished; this hubris, this belief that the majority of the rest of the country would vote to stay in the European Union, are all indications of what the world has to learn. I really hope that they learn the lesson. I fully understand the anger, the rage, the hatred that the rest of Britain must have felt in helping the accumulation of wealth and prosperity by a political class so arrogant as to not even feel compelled to explain what it meant Brexit. The vote for the European Union exit tells much more than just a sense of nationalism.

http://espresso.repubblica.it/intern...?ref=HEF_RULLO
Old 06-27-2016, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heres Rudy Giuliani's opinion about Brexit..

Judge Jeanine's statement.I wish she was running for president.She will kick some a$$ around down in Washington .

Last edited by Macfanforever; 06-27-2016 at 08:28 PM..
Old 06-27-2016, 09:05 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
The 30 seconds of your life it took you to type that... you'll never ever get them back again!
Old 06-27-2016, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He's got a point.The uneducated and old geezers votes to exit and the young voted to stay in.Maybe these uneducated and old geezers at sharper and more educated then you think .They seen everything in live all those years and lived it.These young voters that want everything handed over on a silver platter from the elites and have little or no experience of living through it .Don't bite off the elders that gave you life as my old friend said the other day.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

maybe the old geezers don't realize the world has changed in the last 40 years. no country can be totally isolated and self-contained; the marketplace doesn't work that way anymore. and maybe the younger generation isn't so ethnocentric and culturally phobic like their elders. just a thought.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What has the EU ever done for us?
Sadly too many of my fellow country men and women are just too stoopid for words.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...eave-ebbw-vale

“What’s the EU ever done for us?” Zak Kelly, 21, asks me this standing next to a brand new complex of buildings and facilities that wouldn’t look out of place in Canary Wharf. It’s not Canary Wharf, though, it’s Ebbw Vale, a former steel town of 18,000 people in the heart of the Welsh valleys, where 62% of the population – the highest proportion in Wales – voted Leave.

We’re standing on the site of the old steelworks, a toxic industrial wasteland left rotting when the plant, once the biggest in Europe, finally closed in 2002. It’s now “The Works” – a flagship £350m regeneration project funded by the EU redevelopment fund and home to the £33.5m Coleg Gwent, where some of the 29,000 Welsh apprenticeships the European Social Fund pays for help young people learn a trade. Add in a new £30m railway line and £80m improvement to the Heads of the Valley road from other pots of EU money, and the town centre has just received £12.2m for various upgrades and improvements.

Ebbw Vale, left devastated when the steelworks closed, has had more European money poured into it than perhaps any other small town in Britain. But according to the figures Kelly heard, “we get out £7m a year from the EU and we put in £19m”. Anyway, he says, “it was time for a change”.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As stated in the article that I posted above, the results of this referendum do not mean that the small majority have taken a decision for the UK to leave Europe - it was an advisory referendum. Our MPs representing us, those with skills and experience, will make the most appropriate decision when the time comes to decide. Some who voted Leave may be angry at that, and may be want to get out of Europe now. It seems they were lied to about what this referendum meant, just as they were lied to about the consequences.

My parents are out in Spain at the moment and have said how upsetting and worrying this is for the the expat Community. I think the absolute worse and most horrifying thing over here is a huge increase in racist attacks towards Europeans, people of colour who were born in this country and migrant children in school.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ent-act-europe

Our democracy does not allow, much less require, decision-making by referendum. That role belongs to the representatives of the people and not to the people themselves. Democracy has never meant the tyranny of the simple majority, much less the tyranny of the mob (otherwise, we might still have capital punishment). Democracy entails an elected government, subject to certain checks and balances such as the common law and the courts, and an executive ultimately responsible to parliament, whose members are entitled to vote according to conscience and common sense.

By November, there may be other very good reasons for MPs to refuse to leave Europe. Brexit may turn out to be just too difficult. Staying in the EU may be the only way to stop Scotland from splitting, or to rescue the pound. A poll on Sunday tells us that a million leave voters are already regretting their choice: a significant public change of mind would amply justify a parliamentary refusal to Brexit. It may be, in November, that President Donald Trump becomes the leader of the free world – in which case a strong EU would become more necessary than ever. Or it may simply be that a majority of MPs, mindful of their constitutional duty to do what is best for Britain, conscientiously decide that it is best to remain.

There is no point in holding another referendum (as several million online petitioners are urging). Referendums are alien to our traditions, they are inappropriate for complex decision-making, and without careful incorporation in a written constitution, the public expectation aroused by the result can damage our democracy. The only way forward now depends on the courage, intelligence and conscience of your local MP.

Last edited by MoonSister75; 06-28-2016 at 01:37 AM..
Old 06-28-2016, 01:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post

Judge Jeanine's statement.I wish she was running for president.She will kick some a$$ around down in Washington .

Scaremongering, ignorant, racist old bat.
Sorry, but this woman represents much of what is wrong about your country. She is twisting simplified arguments to fit in with and justify her own warped views.
For the record, the United Kingdom is most certainly not overrun with immigrants.
Sadly too many people here really, really regret voting out. They misguidedly bought into all this jingoistic nationalism nonsense and now realise they 'ucked up by listening to it.
Closed Thread