Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I think you're selling Lindsey short.
That's his goal in life.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think that's the main thing that's giving me cause for pause. If they aren't considering Sheryl because she might be someone great to work with for all of them, but are teaming with her because that's Stevie's condition for continuing with the band, I think that's a bad way to start off in the first place. But hey, it could work out. Sometimes, arranged marriages turn out to be the most loving.
Every situation involves "ultimatums," whether it is over nightly minimums, percentages of the gate, or even the color of M&Ms in the backstage area. Of course some ultimatums are more easy to accommodate than others. But, again, even if Stevie was the one to make this ultimatum, I suspect that there is no way Lindsey would have agreed unless he somehow felt like it was going to work out.

Quote:
I disagree entirely. I don't think Red Rover, Murrow or Come are about pop sensibilities and I see no similarity between Sheryl's style and his. More importantly, I don't see any similarity between Sheryl's sensibilities and his. But I don't have all of Sheryl's albums. I only have VBO and Greatest Hits.
Well, I think you should check out Sheryl's "The Globe Sessions." I can see why you would think that Sheryl's musical sensibilities would be sickeningly sugary- I think her pop singles, while catchy, can sometimes be too slick, especially the new songs she recorded for VBO. "The Globe Sessions," while not exactly experimental, is, for lack of a better term, rich- just a very dark, cathartic song cycle that holds together as a single theme. And you can definitely see how "It Don't Hurt" was almost like "The Chain" part 2. It's such a good album that I feel like listening to it again now as I type this...

Quote:
With their retro commentaries, I found Book of Love and Oh Diane more experimental than syrupy.
Huh? They were shamelessly sentimental retro songs in the vein of Buddy Holly and the Beach Boys. Nothing experimental about them. I actually LOVE "Book of Love," but abhor "Oh Diane" and "Can't Go Back."

Quote:
Whether they worked for me or not, if they failed, it was because he aspired for something different, not because he went for the Top 40 -- not unless he suffered a blow to the head and thought it was 1952 rather than 1982.
I think the general critical sentiment at the time of Mirage's release was that it was a highly commercialized atonement for that wackiness that was Tusk. I think Mirage had the stink of 'pop hit' all over it. This was definitely not an experimental moment in the history of FM.

Quote:
The thing is, I'm not worried about what he feels now. I'm worried about whether he will be independent enough to end it if it's not working out, as he has been in the past. I hope he's not softer now than he was then.
If UTS was any indication, I think a kind of "softening" is already in place. Face it, domestic bliss (and age) has made him a happy man, and I think much of UTS showed that. But there's nothing necessarily wrong with that. And one could argue that his move back to the FM fold was itself the result of mellowing, getting on in years, and getting rid of a lot of old baggage. He's not the angry young "Never Going Back Again" man anymore.

Quote:
You're right, Lindsey and Stevie don't have decades to stare each other down anymore, but they also don't (or shouldn't) have decades to feel creatively stifled.
I think Stevie is already creatively stifled, Lindsey not so much. I'm hoping that SC in FM will help to inspire her to take chances again.

Quote:
Although others here feel that the SYW tour was all about the money, not about the music anymore, I didn't. Even if they played few songs from it, FM was touring on a new album and it was one Lindsey was proud of.
Agreed. You can't fault a band for touring behind a new album and actually playing 5-6 songs from it.

Quote:
I don't want him on stage with Sheryl Crow for the wrong reasons. I don't consider that a compromise or change that will do anyone any good.

Michele
Well, I don't think there is any hard rule that CHANGE=COMPROMISE. I truly think Lindsey would have refused to sign on if he didn't feel that this was an intriguing opportunity.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
She doesn't have anyone to blame for that though. With SYW, she can blame it on Christine not being there, or on Lindsey being Lindsey.
I think she was not satisfied with SYW - just as she was not satisfied with Street Angel. That is why I compared SYW to TISL. They both sold in the same ball park, but she was very happy with TISL even though it did not sell well and produced no big hit save for a dance club hit. So, if sales (solo or not) were the talisman for her griping, she should have griped about TISL and OOTM, the latter of which is viewed as critical and financial failure.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Anyone want to fess to the possibility that Stevie doesn't write as well as she used to...or that there's a reason why the songs that have been around as demos for 20 years didn't make the grade THEN, so why do you think they're going to be "Sara" & "Storms" worthy NOW?

(c'mon people, Lindsey has to have SOMETHING to work with.)
I don't know - I though the song TISL was stunning as was Thrown Down and Illumne (mostly) -- I think problem is not with her writing, it is with her singing. I do also think that LB just lost the touch a little, though the guitar work on Ilume and the Thrown Down is great IMO.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Crow & the Mac

Great addition. She can also handle keyboards. Can't Wait.

Carol-Lynn
Old 03-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . If an ultimatum is being presented to Lindsey, "Either we tour with Sheryl or we don't tour at all," then I only hope that his personal life and finances are such that he can always reject that ultimatum . . . .
Why does everone assume LB is opposed to SC? He has given no indication of this has he. To the contrary, he already has worked with her in and and out of FM. So, I do not get all this LB will be opposed and is a sell out talk.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Registered

Does FM need to tour again or are they a dinosaur?
Mick & John are road dogs and will get on the tour bus.
They don't write songs, and they don't sing.
Mick loves the publicity.
John loves someone else taking care of him. (IMO)
They are all approaching their 60's, (dinosaur status?) but the Rolling Stones are still rocking.

What does FM need to record and tour again?

-Third song writer (Stevie is out of ideas IMHO)
-Female (to appease Stevie and add to her girlfriends)
-Player (some one who can add to the band, and not just sing)
-Someone with name-recognition to sell tickets
-Someone to counter balance Lindsey
-Someone secure and experienced enough to tread into foreign (FM) territory

With that being said, I am NOT a Sheryl Crow fan...but who else fits the bill?
Old 03-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Why does everone assume LB is opposed to SC? He has given no indication of this has he. To the contrary, he already has worked with her in and and out of FM. So, I do not get all this LB will be opposed and is a sell out talk.

I don't know whether he is opposed to it, as we don't have all the facts. From what we do know, that Stevie said she would not tour again without Christine and that Sheryl is a good friend of Stevie's, someone Sheryl considers a mentor, I am more inclined to believe that Sheryl coming is Stevie's idea and Sheryl's meant to be -- not an intermediary, not a musical addition -- but an ally for Stevie.

I don't suspect that it was something that happened organically with the band saying it would be good to have someone new in the mix and thinking about Sheryl because of her musical talents.

It's the way it came about that makes it seem like an inauspicious beginning
for Sheryl and the rest of the band, aside from Stevie.

Michele
Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^^

We also know they talked about SC being in the band in some capacity during the SYW era when they all worked together in some capacity and LB and SC worked together on La Nicks' solo record a few years before that. So, it is not an out of the blue idea and IMO it is an organic (I hate that word ) thing. In fact, believe La Nicks joked about allowing SC to tour with them or something like that.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 03-15-2008 at 12:27 PM..
Old 03-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Every situation involves "ultimatums," whether it is over nightly minimums, percentages of the gate, or even the color of M&Ms in the backstage area.
Ultimatums about money, music and dressing room riders aren't personal like saying, "I don't want to work with you alone" is. It would be better if they went to counseling together, rather than stick another personality in the mix. Aside from that, the problems I think Stevie had working with Lindsey aren't going to be cured by having Sheryl there. Their rollercoaster relationship is going to continue no matter who else is in the band.

So, my concern is already how far Lindsey was ready to go to make this work. When someone says, "You can't have me unless you take my BFF," then I'm thinking maybe the time has come when you should think about not wanting to work with that person anymore. Maybe things are just too far gone.

Quote:
I think Stevie is already creatively stifled, Lindsey not so much.
Yes, and it's precisely because Lindsey has been feeling so free as of late, that I think Stevie is hoping that Sheryl will stifle him a little. Lindsey said he was happy during the SYW tour and commented that not everyone (Stevie I assume) liked his freedom. Although, as far as stage equality goes, Stevie certainly could have had more songs in the setlist if she'd liked, but she kept dropping them.

Stevie complained that Lindsey doesn't listen to her and that they were all school children during recess, without a teacher present. She wants Sheryl to bring regimen. And I don't want too much regimen. Dropping Come from the setlist is one thing, an easy accommodation to make, for a new band member. Bringing more of Stevie's vision to Stevie's songs is something I'd be willing to see Sheryl do (I don't know about Lindsey though). I'd let Sheryl produce all of Stevie's stuff, if that will make them happy. There's no reason he should try to preserve that musical link with Stevie, if she doesn't want it anymore. I'll mourn the loss of his magic on her songs, but I hope he has better things to do with his time.

He can give Stevie completely to Sheryl. It's Lindsey creativity on his own songs and ideas that I don't want to see stifled.

Quote:
I think the general critical sentiment at the time of Mirage's release was that it was a highly commercialized atonement for that wackiness that was Tusk. I think Mirage had the stink of 'pop hit' all over it. This was definitely not an experimental moment in the history of FM.
There may have been a few reviews to that effect, but that wasn't the general consensus about Mirage. However, it was Lindsey's take on Mirage and he wasn't happy with the album, because he felt it was his penance after Tusk. That's exactly why I don't want him to be involved in another punishment or "make up" album this late in his career. I want new music and Sheryl may help me get it, which is a good thing. The bad thing would be if Lindsey feels pushed into giving up everything he found satisfying about SYW, to keep on working with Stevie. After all these years, he still feels bad about Mirage and felt that Tango was needed to take that bad taste out of his mouth. Nearing 60, I don't think he needs any more albums that make him feel he let himself down in is discography.

Lindsey's Mirage songs paid homage to the 50s, but using modern studio technology to make the old sounds. That was what was experimental about it. After Lindsey left the band, Mick commented that instead of just playing the guitar, Lindsey would spend hours trying to make his guitar sound like a violin. Lindsey's Mirage songs were throwbacks, but they were not created the way the sounds they honored were created 25-30 years earlier. The fun of finding new ways to be Brian Wilson or to sing the Monotones, rather than doing it the old way is a learning experience in itself. In fact, I think Empire State is more derivative than the retro songs. I think his music often moves forward by looking back and he is the last member of Fleetwood Mac to stand still.

You might not compare him to Laurie Anderson, but I would and I know she inspires Lindsey, so if she were joining the band, I'd have a lot less trepidation about what it would do to him.

Quote:
Well, I don't think there is any hard rule that CHANGE=COMPROMISE.
I can agree with that but am somewhat surprised because you were the one saying Lindsey had to compromise and eat "humble pie," which is the post of yours I was responding to the in the first place. Evolution can be good (or not) but with your "humble pie" entree you seemed to be talking more retribution than evolution. I didn't know what he had done wrong that he had to be chastened and eat humble pie about. I like his pride and hope it remains intact. Hopefully Stevie doesn't share the notion that Lindsey has to eat humble pie. If she does, my hope is that he simply forgets about FM before stooping to pick up a spoon, leaving Stevie to eat Crow.

Michele
Old 03-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Forgive my ignorance, but what are Stevie and Lindsey currently at loggerheads over. I thought the whole basis of The Dance/SYW was that the loggerheads era had largely passed.

And I have to confess that I don't think of Stevie as Sweet Girl - she strikes me more as Spoilt Girl.

Mind you, Mick had every right to say "grow up woman, you're the only woman in the band, take it or leave it". But he has obviously chosen not to. Judging by Sheryl's comments in the article, this is a joining of sorts when she says she'd love to do Second Hand News with them. To say nothing of The Chain which is usually the OPENING number, not a 'bring on the support act' encore.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ Didn't you just post this earlier?

Quote:
Why should this be in the Rumours forum? It's not ABOUT the Rumours lineup. POST-Rumours forum, yeah, that I'll go along with.
Only you, Chili. You know damn well nobody would see this thread if it were posted there.

Quote:

You say that like it's a BAD thing. At this stage, Fleetwood Mac's dynamic NEEDS changing. It's about f-ing time the dynamic changed, even in a small way. They're whole history has been about constant dynamic changes. When Christine joined after Peter Green left; when Bob Welch joined after Jeremy flew the coop; when Stevie & Lindsey joined when Welch burned out; even the Time crew shook the cage (I enjoyed them immensely but I'm obviously in the minority)

What's the big deal? Even without Sheryl, they didn't drag out any "gems" from the vaults...just Rumours, white album, a couple of Tusk & Mirage tunes...and the mandatory 4 or 5 songs from their most current album which won't see light of the set list on any subsequent tours. Having Sheryl in there will most likely shake up the set list (THANK GOD!)...and that can't be a bad thing.

Hell, the Eagles play their group hits AND their solo hits...since 1997, Fleetwood Mac seems to want to immitate whatever the Eagles do, so why not add MORE solo tunes to their set. Maybe they'll FINALLY drop a long-past-its-prime Rumours tune or two. Which also wouldn't be a bad idea.
I can't believe I'm saying this. I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nh View Post
I Think this is compleate b.s.
Sheryl Crow is nothing more then someone that can't help to thrust herself in the spotlight at someone else's expense and talent. Years ago you saw her pop up at every music benifit there was. Not doing her own set but she has put herself onstage with everyone from the allman brothers band to the rolling stones. I love stevie but think about how much
different tisl would have sounded if sheryl crow's ''influince'' was not all over it. Now she is
''joining'' fleetwood mac? no no no she is ''jock sniffing'' fleetwood mac. Mick and john please
don't let this happen. I really don't want the final chapter of this great band written this way. the band don't deserve it..the fans don't deserve it..and history don't deserve it
I can see the set meeting already

ok we need to bump rhiannon for my favorite mistake
i'm so afraid to be replaced with soak up the sun
all i wanna do replaces stand back

how much worse can this get?? oops we were gonna bring back storms but we are doing a sheryl song instead.
I have to ask - are you for real? Jock sniffing? You may not like Crow, but the bitch is talented, and no hanger-on. She made a name for herself & became successful BEFORE any of the collaborations with Stevie, so you don't seem to have a leg to stand on with that argument. And yeah, what a horrible bitch she is for doing charity benefits & for daring to take the stage with people who invited her to do so, or to collaborate with other artists & try to create music. That whore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyawka View Post
I have a REAL problem with this. I love Sheryl Crow, I love Fleetwood Mac, but together?? Woah! I think that's just taking it a little too far. It almost feels like Fleetwood Mac is selling out. No doubt this is Mick's doing, he's probably in debt again...let's see it's been three years since the Say You Will tour...yea, that's enough time for Mick to spend all his money and be bankrupt.
Please, Lord, don't let this Fleetwood Mac/Sheryl Crow thing happen! Fleetwood Mac is NOT Fleetwood Mac without Mick, John, CHRISTINE, Lindsey and Stevie performing together. Take one of em out and replace em with someone else and they'll suck.
You're right, of course, that's the only reason it could possibly be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
I cannot begin to tell you how much this whole notion angers me. I find it absolutely disgusting that there is even the thought of Sheryl Crow being added as a member of Fleetwood Mac. Go through the history of the band and you'll find that almost every member was added to the band based on intuition and instinct. Adding Crow would be the equivilent of selling out in my view. I hope this isn't true.

Matt
Oh, so you've talked to Mick & John & found it not to be the case this time?

Quote:
And what makes you think this wasn't an act of "intuition and instinct?" It isn't like Mick picked her name out of a hat. One could argue that this has been in the works for a very long time vis a vis TISL, SYW. If they were really selling out, Mick would have been pursuing Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch or maybe even Colbie Caillat, which wouldn't have been that much of a stretch considering her familial ties to FM. Considering it looked like Mick had to choose between adding another chick to the band or losing Stevie altogether, I think this move was a no-brainer.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
If it were an act of intuition and instinct, he'd be giving someone who's not that well known an opportunity. Sheryl Crow is more popular today than Fleetwood Mac. You're telling me that if she were to join the band that it wouldn't appear to be some money grabbing opportunity for the band to have one last chance in the big spotlight? Come on! Fleetwood Mac doesn't need more members. They don't need Stevie either. Call up Bob Welch, Rick Vito or Billy Burnette. At least they ARE members of Fleetwood Mac and not wannabes.
Matt
Ah, see, but then the newcomer would be accused of, how was it put earlier, jock sniffing. Riding the Mac's coattails. Can't win with you unless they ask a former member of the band to join, I guess. God forbid things move forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebokandlace View Post
Well I am glad to see that Stevie is secure enough to hand the FM spot light over to someone else. They have very different voices when they sing live, in the past Sheryl has outshone and outsang Stevie. I am a little shocked that she is so willing to hand over the "FM diva reins" to another star!! I will believe it when I see it.
Hand over the spotlight? How is she handing over the spotlight? Mama can hold her own, regardless of who's currently in better voice. It obviously wasn't an issue on the TISL tour, so why would it be now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Well, I've had a chance to digest this for a day or so now, and having followed this band for 31 years, I've learned that change is goin to happen. Regarding the Time lineup, I was very much against it at first but after listening to the album and seeing the tour in Wisconsin in 1995, I was pleasantly surprised. Did I like it more than when they had Peter or Lindsey and Stevie or the others, no, but I didnt listen to Time and immidiately wanna get a barf bag either. Same goes for the live show. I'm going to take a wait and see approach to see first of all exactly what role Sheryl will play, I.E a full fledged member or some other form of collaboration. Just my 2 cents.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Speak for yourself! John McVie is pretty much the main reason I still listen to the band.
You still listen to the band?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagypsy79 View Post
I am going to state my own opinion about this situation and also state a fact. I used to like Shery Crow, but I am kind of loosing interest in her and her music because she is constantly (and this is a fact), rubbing it in everyone's faces that she's friends with Stevie Nicks. It is getting a little exausting...I don't believe that she is replacing anyone, but I am not happy, because I think she begged to do it....Fleetwood Mac should just be Fleetwood Mac with who they had and have, no one else needs to come into the picture and mess anything up...Have you hear that woman sing live??? She sounds terrible. She doesn't even sound like the way she does on her records. She sings fine on her albums, but when she sings live she sounds like crap...Ever since then, that's when she has constantly been clinging to Stevie and doing this and doing that, it's boring me...It was good when they collaborated on the soundtrack to "Practical Magic", but now it's everywhere you turn around she's with her, and she's thinking that she's hot stuff because she knows her and is friends with her. (I am not jelious, if that's what you're joking about.) But there are other artists out there to collaborate with and work with. Hell Stevie's done it with Michelle Branch, and Vanessa Carlton, and those 2 aren't like that, why does Sheryl act like she's so special? Sorry to piss anyone off.
Um. OK. You do know that Sheryl & Stevie haven't really been seen together since 2001/2002, right? And that was 7 years ago! You do realize that some people assumed they must have had a big ol' fight since they weren't out & about & talking about what good friends they are, right? You do realize that Sheryl Crow has collaborated with several other musicians besides Stevie, right? You do realize that Sheryl was famous & successful BEFORE she started hanging out with Stevie, right? And have you heard Stevis sing live? Yeah, sorry, it's not like her albums - and it shouldn't be! If I wanted to hear the album version of any song by ANY artist, I'd stay home & listen to it rather than shell out cash for a concert. In regards to Sheryl, have you ever heard "Strong Enough" live? or "Safe & Sound?" or "THe Difficult Kind" live?

Can you point me to a recent article/interview where Sheryl "is constantly (and this is a fact), rubbing it in everyone's faces that she's friends with Stevie Nicks. It is getting a little exausting..." That is not a fact, honey, that's your opinion. And you're entitled to it. But the facts (the real ones) do not back up your argument, IMO. Sheryl & Stevie have not mentioned eachother in detail in years - YEARS! I'm not pissed at your, but I think you're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
You know what, I think you're right. Seems like she was proud of the record until.. "in retrospect, when we had to stay on the road extra because it didn't move units..." ... in my mind, though, that's more of a single choice problem. Peacekeeper - not a good single. Say You Will - not a good single. EFO - great single. Miranda - a safe enough Lindsey single. I would love to turn on the radio and hear Red Rover, but hey, it's not going to happen. :P

To me, RTTG is "fair" most of the way... then at the very end when the guitar kicks in, it's "good".
Oh, God, I remember in '03 bitching about how they needed to release more singles. They finally did, Thrown Down & Steal Your Heart Away - right before Thanksgiving. You know what happened? All the stations that typically play AC music switched to their "all Christmas music" format & that plan was shot to hell.

Quote:
Anyone want to fess to the possibility that Stevie doesn't write as well as she used to...or that there's a reason why the songs that have been around as demos for 20 years didn't make the grade THEN, so why do you think they're going to be "Sara" & "Storms" worthy NOW?

(c'mon people, Lindsey has to have SOMETHING to work with.)
I don't think she's writing much AT ALL. Her "recent writing" is now 5-10 years old. So I don't know - maybe her dad dying & the last Mac tour & Chris leaving for good & LB having kids but her not will inspire her again. But I don't know. I'd be happy if they DID take some of her "vault" material & worked on it. Why not?

Quote:
Oh no need. I just don't like to have my feelings described as being exactly the opposite of what they are.

The thing is, I'm not worried about what he feels now. I'm worried about whether he will be independent enough to end it if it's not working out, as he has been in the past. I hope he's not softer now than he was then. You're right, Lindsey and Stevie don't have decades to stare each other down anymore, but they also don't (or shouldn't) have decades to feel creatively stifled. Although others here feel that the SYW tour was all about the money, not about the music anymore, I didn't. Even if they played few songs from it, FM was touring on a new album and it was one Lindsey was proud of. I don't want him on stage with Sheryl Crow for the wrong reasons. I don't consider that a compromise or change that will do anyone any good.

Michele
Wow. You seem to be taking this really seriously - and personally. Just an observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
This whole thing seems so strange to be because the Stevie-Sheryl friendship looked like it was sorta over, the last time they were phoographed together was in 2002, I think?
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
I'm just curious how exactly it would play out. I'm not a fan of Sheryl's, but until there's information as to what her role is going to be, I think I can deal. Especially if it means the opportunity to see FM live again. I don't really understand how Sheryl would be what Stevie needs to continue touring, though. If it's true she needs another female so she's not surrounded by guys, on a personal level, she can and has had that. If it's on a creative level, are we to believe that Sheryl coming into the band is automatically going to give Stevie whatever leverage she may need or is looking for? That's seem a little unlikely. But I do hope for the best.
I agree - we'll have to wait & see. I like discussing "what ifs" but Jesus, people, calm down. We have no idea if this will be the best move ever, or suck the hardest. I'm glad this is igniting discussion, but wow. I personally don't know how I feel about the news. I'm definitely not upset - maybe more cautiously optimistic?

Quote:
^^^^

We also know they talked about SC being in the band in some capacity during the SYW era when they all worked together in some capacity and LB and SC worked together on La Nicks' solo record a few years before that. So, it is not an out of the blue idea and IMO it is an organic (I hate that word ) thing. In fact, believe La Nicks joked about allowing SC to tour with them or something like that.
Yessir, you're correct. There have been rumblings about this since 2001. Just hasn't been anything recently, and I think it took most of us by surprise since Sheryl & Stevie haven't been as publicly connected as they had in the past.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Dear Gawd I hope this doesn't actually come to fruition.

While I have nothing against Sheryl's work as a solo artist (and actually own most of it on CD), I have been less than thrilled with her collaborations with Stevie Nicks (IMO, TISL is Nicks' worst album to date, not to mention the awful Practical Magic soundtrack) and I shudder to think what a collaboration with Buckingham (and, for that matter, Buckingham AND Nicks) might sound like.

And though I know I'm probably in the minority on this one, I welcomed the change in the balance of the sexes within the band. The SYW lineup had a much more testosterone laden sound to it that appealed to me and my Lindsey-loving soul much more than it ever had before.

Sigh.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I also feel compelled to make two more points.

First and foremost: the allegation that Stevie isn't happy with 'SYW' only because it didn't sell. Not true -- Lindsey told David Giammarco, of the Globe & Mail newspaper, that Stevie was "seeing the album through dark colors."
The comment was made BEFORE the album was released (the article was printed March 29th, 2003), and therefore lonnnnng before any sales figures were in.

Secondly, the idea that Lindsey is being strong-armed into working with Sheryl Crow. Sure, Sheryl's involvement may be the condition which Stevie has given in order for her to work with Fleetwood Mac, but one must note that Lindsey also made certain conditions for his involvement with 'SYW.' Including threatening to take back some of his songs ("I own the masters") if the band didn't issue a double-album. Ultimately, of course, it was Lindsey's decision to issue a single album, but the threat was still made and the condition was there.

Thanks to my dear friend who brought those up to me~

Old 03-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Wow. You seem to be taking this really seriously - and personally. Just an observation.
Yeah, I suppose I do take it seriously, as seriously you can take anything about a rock band. A forum that regularly dissects everything about the rockband, from its reebox to tophats, ad nauseum, is certainly the place for such "serious discourse." Relatively speaking, a new band member (and maybe tour and album) is a staggeringly more important subject than most that come down the pike as far as the band is concerned.

As far as taking it personally goes, I don't even know what "it" is.

Quote:
Secondly, the idea that Lindsey is being strong-armed into working with Sheryl Crow. Sure, Sheryl's involvement may be the condition which Stevie has given in order for her to work with Fleetwood Mac, but one must note that Lindsey also made certain conditions for his involvement with 'SYW.' Including threatening to take back some of his songs ("I own the masters") if the band didn't issue a double-album. Ultimately, of course, it was Lindsey's decision to issue a single album, but the threat was still made and the condition was there. Thanks to my dear friend who brought those up to me~

I made the comparison between Mick and Lindsey's Destiny Rules conversation and this Crow situation on the board last night. It wasn't really Lindsey's decision to issue a single album, because if he didn't Stevie wasn't going to do a full tour. So, I think she made the final ultimatum on that issue as well and that's why he said he couldn't afford to do the double album because he couldn't pay for the extra songs (over 12) if he wasn't going to be getting tour money to cover it.

As for Stevie's reaction to SYW, both during and after the making of the album she had great praise for Lindsey's production of her songs. She talked about how they had fought constantly, but seemed to think the finished product was worth the battle. We could see from some Destiny Rules promos that she was mad that Lindsey didn't want to use one of her songs. Then, after the production was over, when the tour first kicked off, she still seemed to be mad at him and he was complaining about the other band members going to Hawaii and Stevie not thanking him. So, they were not happy with each other, but from what came out, I got the impression that their album fights were about the which songs would be used, album length, sequencing (and single selections), all those issues that came up at the time, and not about the quality of her songs. Those complaints came out later.

Michele