Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What happens when you die?

Not the scientific stuff - I mean, what do you think happens to your soul/spirit? Is there heaven & hell? Who goes where? Is there reincarnation? Is it whatever the individual person believed - like if I think there's heaven & I have a theory about what it's like - is that what it will be for ME? If there's heaven, does everyone look like they did when they died? If there's hell, do only truly evil people go there, or can you go if you broke even 1 commandment? Do people who went to church every Sunday get to cut the line to get into heaven? If you're reincarnated, can it be into anything - animal, insect, another human - and do you have any choice at all in the matter? Willl we be able to see our living friends & family from beyond? Or is dead just dead?
Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good God Paula. If you want all my thoughts on this - you'd be here a looong time. I have so many.

So I'll skim. Ever seen the movie "What dreams May Come"? That is such a beautiful concept to me...the heaven part, the hell part is scary - but I guess that's how it should be.

I think there is a hell, but I don't think it's as easy to get there as so many would like to believe. I think it is reserved for the truly evil. People who repeatedly cause pain, horror etc and have absolutely no remorse whatsoever. If you go there for breaking one commandment, not one human will be in heaven. period.

I also believe in a "heaven" of sorts...I have many varying ideas on that.

I do think that in some way loved ones will be together again..after death. It's a nice idea...a comforting idea and there are a lot of really cool stories/experiences etc that lead me to believe it doesn't end when we die. A good friend of mine lost her son and has some amazing experiences that lead me to think that he's still with her sometimes - and I do think she'll see him again one day...

Another friend lost her mother after a long drawn out battle with cancer, and she's got some weird and amazing stories...

I don't believe that it just ends when we die. I refuse to believe that.

I ALSO believe in reincarnation
Old 02-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I tend to believe there is something on the other side, although I'm not sure what.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

well, assuming that everyone's a sinner, if it were true that 1 sin = eternal damnation, we'd all burn in hell. but from what i've come to understand, God "wants" us to be with him.. (so he can play with us like barbies and army men, i guess).. and it's supposed to be pretty easy to get into the good place. streets of gold and all that.. i don't know. i don't want to burn in a fiery pit of unpleasantness and be suspended on hooks through the skin on my back, that's for sure... but i'm not going to kiss bible beater ass and work on convincing a bunch of mortals that i'm acceptable in God's house, just so they can pass me the plate to put my $ in. thanks but no thanks on the church service each week. i live in the south and this is a small town.. so i have to check that crap at the door, because it's all fake around here.

i like the idea of being reunited with lost loved ones.. but honestly, it's hard for me to believe that anything happens after you die. i guess i believe in god.. but not because i've been touched.. more or less because i've been guilted into believing my entire life.

sounds bad coming from a preacher's granddaughter. i hope my grandfather's soul has been blessed and that he actually IS in heaven, because he was the most kind, gentle, and happy person on earth, period.. and thoughts of seeing him and my grandma again are the ONLY things keeping the shred of belief that i struggle to maintain.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i don't believe in heaven or hell. isn't god supposed to be love? why would he send anyone to hell?

i believe there is only one soul and every person and everything is a different manifestation of it.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Not the scientific stuff - I mean, what do you think happens to your soul/spirit? Is there heaven & hell? Who goes where? Is there reincarnation? Is it whatever the individual person believed - like if I think there's heaven & I have a theory about what it's like - is that what it will be for ME? If there's heaven, does everyone look like they did when they died? If there's hell, do only truly evil people go there, or can you go if you broke even 1 commandment? Do people who went to church every Sunday get to cut the line to get into heaven? If you're reincarnated, can it be into anything - animal, insect, another human - and do you have any choice at all in the matter? Willl we be able to see our living friends & family from beyond? Or is dead just dead?

Well, the cool thing is, when you eventually die, all those questions will be answered.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
i don't believe in heaven or hell. isn't god supposed to be love? why would he send anyone to hell?

i believe there is only one soul and every person and everything is a different manifestation of it.
Well, if one believe in God - then one most certainly has to believe in Satan. So if someone is completely in league with Satan, they will go to hell. Because why would God welcome the army of the enemy into his home? I know, because he's Love, right? But even he has his enemy - so yeah. There ya go.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the lights just go out. The end.

Sure, it'd be REAL nice, if all that other hoo-ey is true. But I'm Doubtful Thomas.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

thnks Married To The Sea!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna View Post
Well, if one believe in God - then one most certainly has to believe in Satan. So if someone is completely in league with Satan, they will go to hell. Because why would God welcome the army of the enemy into his home? I know, because he's Love, right? But even he has his enemy - so yeah. There ya go.
no, i don't think that's true at all. why would they have to go hand in hand? most religions paint it that way, but my interpretation of god is completely outside those of most religions.

how would someone be in league with satan? what kinds of actions would put someone in that category? i'm not being cheeky, i'm serious.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
I tend to believe there is something on the other side, although I'm not sure what.

Gee, thanks for your insightful comment David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
well, assuming that everyone's a sinner, if it were true that 1 sin = eternal damnation, we'd all burn in hell. but from what i've come to understand, God "wants" us to be with him.. (so he can play with us like barbies and army men, i guess).. and it's supposed to be pretty easy to get into the good place. streets of gold and all that.. i don't know. i don't want to burn in a fiery pit of unpleasantness and be suspended on hooks through the skin on my back, that's for sure... but i'm not going to kiss bible beater ass and work on convincing a bunch of mortals that i'm acceptable in God's house, just so they can pass me the plate to put my $ in. thanks but no thanks on the church service each week. i live in the south and this is a small town.. so i have to check that crap at the door, because it's all fake around here.

i like the idea of being reunited with lost loved ones.. but honestly, it's hard for me to believe that anything happens after you die. i guess i believe in god.. but not because i've been touched.. more or less because i've been guilted into believing my entire life.

sounds bad coming from a preacher's granddaughter. i hope my grandfather's soul has been blessed and that he actually IS in heaven, because he was the most kind, gentle, and happy person on earth, period.. and thoughts of seeing him and my grandma again are the ONLY things keeping the shred of belief that i struggle to maintain.
I agree with you on the church part. No matter what you believe, I don't think that you have to go to church to have God in your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Well, the cool thing is, when you eventually die, all those questions will be answered.
Yeah. Can't wait.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I think the lights just go out. The end.

Sure, it'd be REAL nice, if all that other hoo-ey is true. But I'm Doubtful Thomas.
Really? Nothing? So you don't believe people who claim to have seen/felt/heard loved ones who have died?
Old 02-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Banned

Heaven and hell contradict each other. If sinners go to hell, wouldn't hell be a kick ass place to be? Drinking, smoking, wife coveting, etc. That said, woudn't heaven be boring and REALLY uptight?

Like creation myths, many people have tried to predict the afterlife. In my opinion the creation of life and the afterlife was invented to give people direction in their lives. Be a good person, obey the laws and boom! Destination Heaven. (Rose Nylund is all over the ledge today ) Howevah, screw up and you're going straight to hell. Teaching through fear is a pretty effective tactic. Obviously, since it's been working for thousands of years. Have you ever read Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God? Scary stuff...

Still I'd like to think that there is some kind of existence after your body dies. Reincarnation? I dunno...it seems pretty unfair if we all have to come back with no knowledge of our past lives and Shirley Maclaine gets to remember everything.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan8472 View Post
thnks Married To The Sea!
mtts > world
Old 02-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
no, i don't think that's true at all. why would they have to go hand in hand? most religions paint it that way, but my interpretation of god is completely outside those of most religions.

how would someone be in league with satan? what kinds of actions would put someone in that category? i'm not being cheeky, i'm serious.
Yeah? Well your a poo!

Just kidding. YOu make an interesting point though. Some people believe in a "higher power" without believing in Satan. I guess I'm talking about the traditional view of Good and Evil. It's a fact that both exsist in the world. It's a belief (by some) that Good and Evil is manifested in God and Satan. The two ultimate examples of Good and Evil.

One can be in league with Satan by basically worshipping him the way God is worshipped. Again, by living a life of no good whatsoever, murder, pain, horror inflicting on others with absolutely no feelings of remorse or wrong...

There are other examples but they get more into individual belief systems. I mean hell, in some religions simply being gay puts you in league with Satan!