User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeerocks View Post
They better hold up their end of the deal about coming back and doing 1.5 shows or Stevie is in deep s**t with the band.An article posted somewhere that although she promised that,it was highly unlikely that it would occur given their current schedule is packed like sardines.If they back out of this it will leave a real bitter taste in alot of people's mouthes regarding the integrity of the band.Not a good way to end their final chapter.I can almost hear them backstage going to Stevie"WHAT THE F**K DID YOU TELL THEM THAT FOR!!?YOU KNOW WE CAN'T DO THAT YOU DOPE!!!"The whole scene will be in Mick's next book
I agree, this was something Stevie probably said sincerely in the confusion of the situation but there is no way they could come back. You would have to still have to charge money and it's doubtful a small market like Lincoln could support that. The ticket prices make that somewhat prohibitive.

They did play 2/3 of the show so it was enough. I am sure fans were disappointed but understood the unusual circumstances.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:56 AM
Registered

They could have done Say Goodbye. Or an Acoustic Version of Go Insane
Old 01-19-2015, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
I agree, this was something Stevie probably said sincerely in the confusion of the situation but there is no way they could come back. You would have to still have to charge money and it's doubtful a small market like Lincoln could support that. The ticket prices make that somewhat prohibitive.

They did play 2/3 of the show so it was enough. I am sure fans were disappointed but understood the unusual circumstances.
Thanks for agreeing with me FM77 but the majority of the people are royally pissed.I have really mixed feelings about this,it's just such a bad situation for all involved.There was just so much hype,anticipation,and excitement involved not to mention the aggravating time and money spent just trying to get a freaking ticket to this show.I know I could hardly focus on anything else when their magic finally came to Philly and if that had happened that night I would have broken down.On the other hand,this was just a effed up situation,as Stevie says,"You Can't Fix This".Also I know that alot of people were waiting to see GDW b/c it seems to be the highlight of the show and is always mentioned in the reviews,and it was completely cut.IMO they should have done GDW instead of GYOW with the tech for this very reason(not to make light of GYOW,so don't hate me Elle!)I don't think they'll come back,especially since this was their second show there.I also think Stevie did make that statement in the heat of the moment but she is a smart cookie too.Fear of mass rage/hysteria is quite a motivator......Whew!too much coffee this morningThanks for listening guys.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for agreeing with me FM77 but the majority of the people are royally pissed.I have really mixed feelings about this,it's just such a bad situation for all involved.There was just so much hype,anticipation,and excitement involved not to mention the aggravating time and money spent just trying to get a freaking ticket to this show.I know I could hardly focus on anything else when their magic finally came to Philly and if that had happened that night I would have broken down.On the other hand,this was just a effed up situation,as Stevie says,"You Can't Fix This".Also I know that alot of people were waiting to see GDW b/c it seems to be the highlight of the show and is always mentioned in the reviews,and it was completely cut.IMO they should have done GDW instead of GYOW with the tech for this very reason(not to make light of GYOW,so don't hate me Elle!)I don't think they'll come back,especially since this was their second show there.I also think Stevie did make that statement in the heat of the moment but she is a smart cookie too.Fear of mass rage/hysteria is quite a motivator......Whew!too much coffee this morningThanks for listening guys.
If they can't come back then refund the money. It's not like they need it. Sure their fans need it more.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
If they can't come back then refund the money. It's not like they need it. Sure their fans need it more.
That would be the sensible thing to do. Just refund it, minus the surcharge, of course. I know they played 90 minutes of a show, but as a gesture of goodwill to the people of Lincoln and thereabouts, and as a symbol of the band's goodwill to all of their audiences, they should just say Lincoln was a wash and return the money.

They'd get A LOT of cred that way.

With regards to "they should have gone on and played this" or "they should have played that" I think the band reacted pretty well in that crisis. It doesn't surprise me that they only did two more songs. They were all probably freaked out.

Interesting tidbit: during the Tusk Tour in Rochester, NY, John McVie was suffering from food poisoning and had to make frequent detours from the stage. Throughout the night, a bass tech filled in for him. I mention this not as a way to say this is what the Mac should have done in Lincoln but as a reminder of how important Mick's presence is to the rest of the band. Without him at the helm, the ship sinks, or never sets sail. (Bad metaphors, I know.)

I'm relieved to hear he is on the mend.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Ledgie

With the inflated ticket prices, people have inflated expectations.

It should be noted that Steve is much more than a stage hand. He's toured with the band for quite some time. In 2009, he was even introduced alongside other band members...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkwTtiorhEg

Steve is clearly visible in Say You Love me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xubf1zQopNw

As mentioned above, why couldn't Lindsey have performed an acoustical version of Go Insane? Seems like they gave up too easily.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g. fish View Post
With the inflated ticket prices, people have inflated expectations.

It should be noted that Steve is much more than a stage hand. He's toured with the band for quite some time. In 2009, he was even introduced alongside other band members...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkwTtiorhEg

Steve is clearly visible in Say You Love me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xubf1zQopNw

As mentioned above, why couldn't Lindsey have performed an acoustical version of Go Insane? Seems like they gave up too easily.
I have to agree. I'm sure Mick getting sick threw a monkey wrench into the show but these are seasoned musicians. Just a few more songs would have appeased the crowd and actually gave them something special that the other audiences didn't get. I know the foursome could have played a few more tunes without Mick.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 01-19-2015, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
if they improvised a bit, replaced a few songs by some they could do without drums or with light drums, people would leave happy that they got something different instead of demanding a refund (although, saying "i only got 2 out of 3 hr show so want a refund" is kinda ridiculous. many bands play that short to begin with). but they could have easily done acoustic Gypsy (didn't SN just do it for something or other?), Bleed To Love Her LB has been doing alone on his last tour with some ad-hoc harmonizing from CM and SN (plus just on Monday LB performed at that Judd Apatow charity show completely alone, without even guitar tech and sound guy so you know he is perfectly capable of whipping out a few songs or accompanying others), Say Goodbye they've been doing whole last year, Don't Stop is easy and i'm sure Christine has a few songs she can do on the spot just accompanying herself, without much drums. if Mick was sick for the last 24 hours, it seems a bit weird that they didn't think through any back-up plan.
My thoughts exactly. Lindsey, the master of playing by himself, couldn't thave whipped up a few more tunes? Doesn't the band have a drummer hidden in the back? Couldn't the drum tech finish the show? Don't they have a percussionist as well, which would allow them to keep going with someone keeping time?

This band is so inept, it amazes me it still has the following it does. They can't agree on recording an album, can't stray from the setlist, can't deal with an emergency. It's seriously pathetic.

I wish Mick a full recovery.

Last edited by RockawayBlind; 01-19-2015 at 12:17 PM..
Old 01-19-2015, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Superstar singers replacing superstar singers. The crowd would have loved Bono or Bruce to step in for Stevie. But this is the drummer Mick Fleetwood. Mick Fleetwood plays behind the beat and I don't think there are many drummers that can just step in and replace him. His drumming style is unique.
Long story short...... YES Mick Fleetwood is irreplaceable
LOL! Do you play an instrument? Just wondering.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Finally made the time to watch the video. Kudos to whoever captured that; they had a good vantage point from which to film, too.

A couple of thoughts. The off-the-cuff comments made by the audience members sitting around the person with the camera are really funny. "Can't they just play without him?" (Uh ... no.) After Steve-the-Drum-Tech's highlight of his career: "Can't they just go on with this guy? He was good."

Another thought: Seeing Chris and Lindsey do that lovely "Songbird" to end the night makes me long for an acoustic Buckingham/McVie show, just the two of them, unplugged. It sounds like an impossible fantasy ... but then, I never thought I'd see Christine (the beautiful Christine) in this band again.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i'm not sure why you think anybody's arguing Mick should have been replaced?

but since they knew he was sick (they can't be that oblivious that they had no clue?! the man was throwing up in a bucket the whole St Paul show, apparently), they could have thought of at least one more song from each of the songwriters that could have been done without drums, as a backup if something goes wrong. or with light drums that drum tech could do, or with click track or something. it could have been really special, they could have come off looking really really great if they were able to actually improvise some.
The responsible thing was to cancel the show. It's wreckless to put an old man in that position, to threaten the health of everyone else in close proximity, and ultimately to embark on a show when you have to know there is a strong chance you can't finish it. Like it or not, it's a business transaction. I don't blame people for complaining because they didn't get the full value they paid for. The band should make it up to them somehow.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
TAlso I know that alot of people were waiting to see GDW b/c it seems to be the highlight of the show and is always mentioned in the reviews,and it was completely cut.IMO they should have done GDW instead of GYOW with the tech for this very reason(not to make light of GYOW,so don't hate me Elle!).
Here is the relevant point: If the tech can play Go Your Own Way, I assure you he can play just about any other FM song. With the exception of Tusk, I don't see any other drummer having a problem playing out this set. I would be willing to bet they could have pulled a drummer from the audience who would have done a competent job.

Drumming is a special skill, yes, but if you can do it, you can do it. Every single night, musicians across America get together at bars, garages and who knows where else and play together for the first time. And the drummer falls right int. It's not rocket science.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It could of been worse.He could had the G.I. Sheets. "The runs".

Sorry to mention that.LOL................

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
The responsible thing was to cancel the show. It's wreckless to put an old man in that position, to threaten the health of everyone else in close proximity, and ultimately to embark on a show when you have to know there is a strong chance you can't finish it.
agree with this part.

I'm sure the thinking was, oh get through this one more show and then we have 3 days off to recover.

Problem is, you can't say to the flu-- hey, don't hit me hard until after the show and then you can slam me on my three days off.

You're sick when you're sick, and sometimes that's at a time that's inconvenient for business reasons, but tough sh*t.

At 68 you have to respect the limits of your body and give it a chance to put its energy into fighting the virus, not playing the drums (or whatever you do).
Old 01-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
My thoughts exactly. Lindsey, the master of playing by himself, couldn't thave whipped up a few more tunes? Doesn't the band have a drummer hidden in the back? Couldn't the drum tech finish the show? Don't they have a percussionist as well, which would allow them to keep going with someone keeping time?

This band is so inept, it amazes me it still has the following it does. They can't agree on recording an album, can't stray from the setlist, can't deal with an emergency. It's seriously pathetic.

I wish Mick a full recovery.

I have to wonder if the setlist is just another one of those highly-negotiated points of contention with this band… you know, "well if we do THAT song of yours, then IIIIII've only got 6 songs and now you have 7" or whatever. I can see managers arguing over this sh&t behind the scenes. Maybe this is part of why the set never changes…. too many lawyers and managers get involved. If Lindsey did any of the songs he does totally alone solo, that could ruffle feathers because "you know, this isn't a Lindsey solo show!!" blah blah blah … Plus the fact that he's kind of neurotic about doing songs off the cuff-- he's infected with the same 'omg we have to rehearse this 6 million times' bug that the rest of the band have. Let's face it-- these are not "wing it" kinds of people, S & N. Chris and John I think are far more comfortable with just jamming on the fly.