Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Even though I didn't grow up in the fifties, I knew that Buddy Holly was a seminal influence in rock and roll, as was Paul McCartney was in the sixties and seventies.
My influences weren't entirely focused on what was popular. I think radio stations in the 1970s were a strong source for that. They weren't programmed and operated by huge corporations. Disc Jockeys had the freedom to play what they wanted, so I was exposed was a wide diversity and styles of music, including heavy doses of music from the sixties.

I'm aware of the current, younger generation artists if only because you can't escape them in the media. Some of them are just fads of the moment. Others have genuine talent and lasting power. I can acknowledge them, yet they are too young for me to have any connection to them. I'm too far beyond their commercial demographic. You will never see the likes of One Direction, Nicki Minaj or Katie Perry in my collections. I have plenty of seasoned artists that fill the pocket of what they represent.

Some of the artists that really caught my interest in recent years (circa 2ooo onward) are the Scissor Sisters, Amy Winehouse, The Black Keys, and to a lesser extent. Foster the People and Vampire Weekend.
I'm much younger than you but from 13 onward I have always listened to older rock music.
I think my parents music choice have influenced me since they used to listen to the same tapes of their favourite artists over and over. To this day some of those albums are my favourite too, but overall they transmitted me the habit of listening to the few things that I really love and that really represents me instead of continuously searching new fleeting things that I may like.
I think it's a mixed matter of education and culture.
Recent music hasn't really interested me in a long time but this last year I downloaded Ed Sheeran's album.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Even though I didn't grow up in the fifties, I knew that Buddy Holly was a seminal influence in rock and roll, as was Paul McCartney was in the sixties and seventies.
My influences weren't entirely focused on what was popular. I think radio stations in the 1970s were a strong source for that. They weren't programmed and operated by huge corporations. Disc Jockeys had the freedom to play what they wanted, so I was exposed was a wide diversity and styles of music, including heavy doses of music from the sixties.

I'm aware of the current, younger generation artists if only because you can't escape them in the media. Some of them are just fads of the moment. Others have genuine talent and lasting power. I can acknowledge them, yet they are too young for me to have any connection to them. I'm too far beyond their commercial demographic. You will never see the likes of One Direction, Nicki Minaj or Katie Perry in my collections. I have plenty of seasoned artists that fill the pocket of what they represent.

Some of the artists that really caught my interest in recent years (circa 2ooo onward) are the Scissor Sisters, Amy Winehouse, The Black Keys, and to a lesser extent. Foster the People and Vampire Weekend.
Yes Radio was radio back then with real people behind the mike and spinning records.The stations were owned by ma-pa not corrupt corp ownerships that robo run their stations with voiced track DJs on dozens of stations they own.

Yes with todays things like the internet with its gadgetry of Ipad .Iphones and the media in print ,TV .Theres no way anybody can escape hearing about these younger artist.

At times my 95 years young friend ask me whose this young artist he hears or seen on TV.I think Pink and Lady Gaga was the last artists he was wondering who they were.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 02-03-2015, 12:35 PM

Paul McCartney, Rihanna and Kanye West to Perform ‘FourFiveSeconds’ at Grammys
by Dave Lifton February 3, 2015 11:51 AM

Paul McCartney, Rihanna and Kanye West will give the first-ever performance of their new song ‘FourFiveSeconds’ at the 57th Annual Grammy Awards on Sunday. They have also released a video for the track, which you can watch above.
The song, which is the lead single from Rihanna’s new album, was released last week. It features Rihanna and West singing over some atypically rough acoustic strumming from McCartney, with very little additional instrumentation. Billboard reports that it debuted at No. 54 on its Hot 100 chart.
The black-and-white video for the song is as stark as the music, with the three stars performing the cut on an empty set.
‘FourFiveSeconds’ is the second song from McCartney and West’s collaboration to reach the public. On New Year’s Eve, West released ‘Only One,’ an imagined conversation between himself and his mother, who passed away in 2007.
The Grammys will be held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles and will be televised on CBS beginning at 8PM ET. You can find our guide to the Grammys here.

Read More: Paul McCartney, Rihanna and Kanye West to Perform ‘FourFiveSeconds’ at Grammys | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-...ckback=tsmclip
Old 02-04-2015, 12:57 PM

Paul McCartney Recording With Lady Gaga
by Jeff Giles February 4, 2015 10:34 AM

Whatever’s in that vegan diet of his must not have any kind of negative impact on Paul McCartney‘s energy level, because the 72-year-old ex-Beatle seems to be everywhere these days.
As previously reported, McCartney recently raised eyebrows (and confused a few younger listeners) when he collaborated with Kanye West for West’s new ‘Only One’ single — and repeated the feat when he joined West and Rihanna for another new track, ‘FourFiveSeconds.’ With that out of the way, he’s apparently moved on to some sort of project with Lady Gaga and Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready.
Gaga, who previously rubbed shoulders with greatness when she recorded an entire album with Tony Bennett, broke the news on her Instagram account, posting a series of photos and telling followers, “Had a beautiful session with Sir Paul McCartney and friends. Working on one of his many secret projects! Killer musicians, vibe and lots of laughs.”
And for those of you who take offense at the notion of McCartney working with a performer who once appeared in public wearing a dress made out of raw meat, just know that it almost didn’t happen. “I’ll never forget when he called me last year to work,” wrote Gaga. “I hung up the phone cuz I thought it was a prank!”
We’ll doubtless hear the results of the Gaga/McCartney/McCready summit soon. In the meantime, check out photos from the sessions below.

Had a beautiful session with Sir Paul McCartney and friends. Working on one of his many secret projects! Killer musicians, vibe, and lots of laughs.

Studio rat house.

Read More: Paul McCartney Recording With Lady Gaga | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-...ckback=tsmclip

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 02-04-2015 at 01:08 PM..
Old 02-10-2015, 06:56 AM

Default This man never fails to entertain me...

Paul Stanley Says Beck Should Have Kicked Kanye West ‘Right in the Nuts’
by Matthew Wilkening February 9, 2015 5:52 PM

Kanye West is apparently lucky he interrupted alternative hero Beck instead of Kiss star Paul Stanley last night at the Grammys.
Beck should’ve kicked Kanye right in the nuts and said, ‘Get the f— of MY stage!” Stanley declared on Facebook. Westwho famously interrupted Taylor Swift’s win at the 2009 VMAs to declare that Beyonce was more deserving of an awardpulled a similar stunt during Beck’s Album of the Year acceptance speech last night. Although it seemed like a lighthearted joke or self-parody at the time, with West offering a sly smile and not actually speaking, later on he made it clear he had problems with Beck winning the award over Beyonce:

"I don’t even know what [Beck] said. I just know that, the Grammys, if they want real artists to keep coming back, they need to stop playing with us. … And Beck needs to respect artistry, he should have given his award to Beyoncé. At this point, we tired of it. What happens is, when you keep on diminishing art, and not respecting the craft, and smacking people in the face after they deliver monumental feats of music, you’re disrespectful to inspiration. We, as musicians, have to inspire people who go to work every day, and they listen to that Beyoncé album, and they feel like it takes them to a different place. … I am here to fight for creativity. That’s why I didn’t say anything tonight, but you all knew what it meant when ‘Ye stepped on that stage."

For his part, Beck seems to be taking the whole thing in stride, saying “I was just so excited he [West] was coming up. He deserves to be onstage as much as anybody … How many great records has he put out in the last five years, right?”

Read More: Paul Stanley Says Beck Should Have Kicked Kanye West 'Right in the Nuts' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-...ckback=tsmclip
Old 02-11-2015, 04:52 AM

Default This truly started a gigantic ****storm...

Nikki Sixx, Michael McDonald Blast Kanye West’s Grammy Actions
by Nick DeRiso February 10, 2015 10:19 PM

The hits keep coming for Kanye West, and not the Billboard kind.
Nikki Sixx has taken the hip-hop star to task on the issue of respecting artistry, a key element of West’s controversial Grammy-night complaints about Beck‘s best-album win, while Doobie Brothers star Michael McDonald is questioning whether West has any talent in the first place.
I don’t think it even really bears too much thought”, McDonald tells Dan Le Batard. “It’s pretty obvious what Kanye’s problem is. When Kanye gets to a point where he can actually put a couple of notes together either vocally or two bars of valid music playing an instrument, then he might have a right to criticize somebody else. Until then, I think he’s just talking to hear the sound of his own voice.
Sixx, meanwhile, has reposted a opinion piece from Variety with the headline “No, Kanye, It’s You Who Needs to ‘Respect Artistry’” to Facebook — and added the comment, “I couldn’t agree more.”
McDonald also dragged out the age-old is-rap-real-music debate, one that’s been around since the genre emerged in the late ’70s, before going on to praise Beck. “The whole kinda cut-and-paste thing is a certain kind of artform all by itself”, McDonald adds. “I don’t know if I call it songwriting from a musician’s standpoint. … Beck is obviously a consummate musician. He plays instruments, many instruments. He can make his own record without having a fleet of computer operators onboard.

Read More: Nikki Sixx, Michael McDonald Blast Kanye West’s Grammy Actions | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/nikki...ckback=tsmclip
Old 02-12-2015, 12:38 PM

Default He almost said something normal...almost

Kanye West Says He Restored Missing ‘Angst’ to Paul McCartney’s Music
by Jeff Giles February 12, 2015 10:53 AM

Longtime Paul McCartney fans may have raised an eyebrow when word got out that he was collaborating with Kanye West, but as West argued in a recent Ryan Seacrest interview, he’s really part of a long tradition of songwriting partners who’ve helped add a little grit to the former Beatle‘s gift for singalong melodies.
We just went in and we vibed out,” West told Seacrest. “As you can see, I might be a little bit more ‘angst’ than Paul. And remember the last time when Paul had somebody really ‘angst’ working with him, the type of music they made?
West was referring, of course, to John Lennon — although he quickly took pains to make it clear that he wasn’t putting himself on the same level. “Hey, everyone, America, I’m not comparing myself to John Lennon”, he insisted, adding that he only meant he added something similar in the context of McCartney’s music. “The tension, the ‘salt and pepper’ — I mean, maybe that’s bad because it sounds like ‘black and white’ — but the tension creates a new magic. The pressure creates the diamond from the coal. And he came in with the best vibes ever. And I said, ‘Four, five seconds from wildin’,’ and he said, ‘It’s great, everyone.’ And we just had that.

Read More: Kanye West Says He Restored Missing 'Angst' to Paul McCartney's Music | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/kanye...ckback=tsmclip
Old 02-13-2015, 10:01 AM

Default why is this man so easy to make fun of?

Watch ‘Paul McCartney’ Explain Kanye West to John Lennon
by Jeff Giles February 13, 2015 9:03 AM

Paul McCartney surprised older fans (and younger listeners) when he collaborated with Kanye West, and West himself later explained that he brought McCartney’s music the sort of “angst” it had when the former Beatle wrote with John Lennon. What would Lennon have thought of all this? Dana Carvey has a few ideas.
The former Saturday Night Live cast member, recently back on the set for the show’s 40th anniversary special, sat down alongside fellow SNL vet Bill Hader for a chat with the Hollywood Reporter, and — as often tends to be the case with Carvey — the conversation quickly turned to the sort of pop culture comedy riffing at which the master impressionist has always excelled.
Part of Carvey’s THR routine was offering up an imagined conversation between McCartney and Lennon, with Lennon phoning in from the afterlife with a series of confused questions regarding West’s role in the creative process. “Well, what does he do? Does he play an instrument? Does he sort of just hum along?” asks Lennon, while McCartney tries in vain to explain the concept of Auto-Tune — and Hader collapses in hysterics.
We’ll have another chance to see Carvey back in action Feb. 15, when the SNL 40th anniversary special takes over NBC’s primetime schedule: The show, which just added another half hour to its already-extended running time, will air from 8-11:30PM ET.

Read More: Watch 'Paul McCartney' Explain Kanye West to John Lennon | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/dana-...ckback=tsmclip

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 02-13-2015 at 10:07 AM..
Old 02-15-2015, 06:17 PM

Default why is this man so easy to make fun of? part 2

Kanye West’s Music ‘Sounds Like Hamster Turds,’ Sings Steel Panther
by Matthew Wilkening February 15, 2015 9:22 AM

You know, we promised ourselves we were going to stop writing posts about rock stars making fun of Kanye West for his behavior at this year’s Grammys. After all, it’s been a week now, and the controversial rapper publicly backed off a bit from his critical statements about Beck winning the Album of the Year award over his friend Beyonce.
But this is too funny to ignore. Steel Panther, our favorite purveyors of heavy metal with a dirty sense of humor, have just posted a minute-long musical response to Kanye (embedded above), accusing him of sounding like everything from “hamster turds” to “donkey farts.” They also one-up Kiss star Paul Stanley‘s “kick him right in the nuts” comment by adding steel-toed boots to the equation.

Read More: Kanye West's Music 'Sounds Like Hamster Turds,' Sings Steel Panther | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steel...ckback=tsmclip
Old 02-15-2015, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Kanye West’s Music ‘Sounds Like Hamster Turds,’ Sings Steel Panther
by Matthew Wilkening February 15, 2015 9:22 AM

You know, we promised ourselves we were going to stop writing posts about rock stars making fun of Kanye West for his behavior at this year’s Grammys. After all, it’s been a week now, and the controversial rapper publicly backed off a bit from his critical statements about Beck winning the Album of the Year award over his friend Beyonce.
But this is too funny to ignore. Steel Panther, our favorite purveyors of heavy metal with a dirty sense of humor, have just posted a minute-long musical response to Kanye (embedded above), accusing him of sounding like everything from “hamster turds” to “donkey farts.” They also one-up Kiss star Paul Stanley‘s “kick him right in the nuts” comment by adding steel-toed boots to the equation.

Read More: Kanye West's Music 'Sounds Like Hamster Turds,' Sings Steel Panther | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steel...ckback=tsmclip
Rubbish putting it nicely and explains it in one word.

I'm not familiar with Steel Panthers tunes but I agree with them.

They have nice looking hair though.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Rubbish putting it nicely and explains it in one word.

I'm not familiar with Steel Panthers tunes but I agree with them.

They have nice looking hair though.
I'm not familiar with Kanye West's music; I heard two songs maybe, but I generally don't love rap.
His behaviour though is certainly rubbish.
This Steel Panther look awesome...
Old 02-16-2015, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Kanye West's music; I heard two songs maybe, but I generally don't love rap.
His behaviour though is certainly rubbish.
This Steel Panther look awesome...
Yea I think Kanye likes to run his mouth and stir up some trouble.

I agree with Steel Panther but I'm not into heavy metal but they look so 1980's and stand out from the other current bands.I love the 1980's big hair thing.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Yea I think Kanye likes to run his mouth and stir up some trouble.

I agree with Steel Panther but I'm not into heavy metal but they look so 1980's and stand out from the other current bands.I love the 1980's big hair thing.
80s' hair is glorious but I prefer 70s':

VS

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 02-17-2015 at 02:30 PM..
Old 02-17-2015, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
80s' hair is glorious but I prefer 70s:

VS
Yes .I agree.The Farrah style was everywhere.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Yes .I agree.The Farrah style was everywhere.
Sure, that's my favourite Stevie hairstyle:

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 02-17-2015 at 06:04 PM..