The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Greil Marcus writing about Go Your Own Way...

Quote:
“Go Your Own Way” was rough, harsh, hard to follow. From its opening notes it was a maelstrom, excitement, and nothing else. It was an assault, a hammering, the singer moaning and threatening, pleading and damning; it didn’t let up for a second.

Coming two thirds of the way through the performance, the requisite instrumental break should have provided a rest; instead it raised the stakes. When Lindsey Buckingham dropped his words for a guitar solo – a shattered, severed solo almost drowning in a dozen more overdubbed guitar parts, the off-beat rhythm chasing his lead, then overtaking him, then seeming to wait for him to catch up, which he never quite did – the song began all over again. Ten years later, I flinch every time it comes on the radio, knowing what’s coming, knowing that no matter how completely I can predict what’s going to happen, I won’t be able to catch up: the instrumental passage supersedes not only the singing that precedes it, but the ability of memory to enclose it.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza

“Go Your Own Way” was rough, harsh, hard to follow. From its opening notes it was a maelstrom, excitement, and nothing else. It was an assault, a hammering, the singer moaning and threatening, pleading and damning; it didn’t let up for a second.

Coming two thirds of the way through the performance, the requisite instrumental break should have provided a rest; instead it raised the stakes. When Lindsey Buckingham dropped his words for a guitar solo – a shattered, severed solo almost drowning in a dozen more overdubbed guitar parts, the off-beat rhythm chasing his lead, then overtaking him, then seeming to wait for him to catch up, which he never quite did – the song began all over again. Ten years later, I flinch every time it comes on the radio, knowing what’s coming, knowing that no matter how completely I can predict what’s going to happen, I won’t be able to catch up: the instrumental passage supersedes not only the singing that precedes it, but the ability of memory to enclose it.
Greil Marcus is very often an overblown pompous ass, but damn, he's right on the money here. That's a perfect description of the genius of the music of "Go Your Own Way." That solo, and that frenzied interplay between Lindsey's guitar and Mick's drums that threaten to throw the song completely over the edge at any moment is what I love most about GYOW.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

God, I need a cigarette

Old 02-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah, "Go Your Own Way." This is a song I've had a love-hate-like-love relationship with over the years.

There was a while I couldn't stand this song because it was Lindsey telling Stevie off, but I decided to suck it up and sing it at karaoke one night because one of my friends loves that song. Now it's one of those songs I do occasionally.

I don't do it all the time because I don't want the song to be one of those that I go through the motions on. When I sing it, I want to be in character, meaning *angry*. I also want to be up there doing crazy guitar, running around the stage, etc. I can only do that every once in a while. But when I do sing "Go Your Own Way," it usually brings the house down.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love how you wouldn't even listen to it because its Anti-Stevie. Thats amazing.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe
I love how you wouldn't even listen to it because its Anti-Stevie. Thats amazing.
Pretty amazing. Not only that, but to see only anger in it is to miss a lot of its appeal. There's also a great deal of love in the song, as well as humor.

Did you guys ever notice how "You Make Loving Fun" finds a minor groove for the verses & slips into the major for the chorus, whereas "Go Your Own Way" follows the opposite pattern.

Those are the only two songs on Rumours built virtually equally of both major & minor; I've never thought about the effect before, but it must influence the way we individually interpret these songs.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Did you guys ever notice how "You Make Loving Fun" finds a minor groove for the verses & slips into the major for the chorus, whereas "Go Your Own Way" follows the opposite pattern.

Those are the only two songs on Rumours built virtually equally of both major & minor; I've never thought about the effect before, but it must influence the way we individually interpret these songs.
I hadn't noticed that at all, but of course, it seems so obvious now! You're right, David, I think those shifts have a lot to do with the feelings we associate with those songs. It's a great effect.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Pretty amazing. Not only that, but to see only anger in it is to miss a lot of its appeal. There's also a great deal of love in the song, as well as humor.
My thoughts exactly. Especially great deal of love. Who would sit down and write a song like that if they were not in love?

(This thought kind of reminds me of a totally, entirely different song, "Chelsea Hotel", written by Leonard Cohen for Janice Joplin. He goes on talking about her during the entire song and then at the end he says "I don't mean to suggest that I love you the best/I can't keep track of each fallen robin/that's all, I don't think of you that often"). Pretty obvious IMO.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And, let's not for get a hint of desperation.

That's why I've never understood why the Green era fans dismiss this album as pop fluff. I mean, maybe the only thing that ties THIS album with something like "Then Play On" is perhaps the strongest quality of most of the Peter Green songs: Both are brutally honest and full of raw emotion. I get the exact same chill from Stevie and Lindsey's harmonies on "I Don't Want To Know" that I get from Peter's guitar playing on "Before The Beginning." My hunch is that the honesty and emotion in the music is why Peter Green and the "Rumours" band continue to be the biggest draws of Fleetwood Mac. (Or, to put it cynically, they like to walk around in their personal demons, and we're all voyeurs.)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I mean, maybe the only thing that ties THIS album with something like "Then Play On" is perhaps the strongest quality of most of the Peter Green songs: Both are brutally honest and full of raw emotion.
I think they're all dissemblers, Steve.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is my all time favorite song. I never tire of it ever. Now see I know everyone thinks of this as a kiss off song but sometimes I wonder. He sounds so hurt and sad sometimes during this song. Set to a different melody and speed, the angry tone of this song may not have been there.

Loving you, isn't the right thing to do

This could be taken 2 ways. Also could it be because you don't want me?

How can I ever change things that I feel

wondering how he could stop loving her.

If I could baby I'd give you my world
How can I when you won't take it from me

he's basically saying he still loves her here but she dont want him no mo.

I know the packing up shackin up line is kind of angry. but then we have....

Open up everything's waiting for you

I take the "everything" to mean him/his love. Also the guitar solo has a certain sadness to it. A friend of mine says that the guitar sounds like it's crying. I truly adore this amazing piece of music.

Jeez i got to much time on my hands.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerchic
Is this the performance you mean? It's the first time I've seen it (thanks to youtube and priestofnothing). It totally rocks! The close-ups of Stevie are total cuteness! and I love her singing those parts!

http://www.youtube.com/?v=0fJStdA88dI
Wow - just saw this for the first time, and YES it totally rocks!!!

Sadly - I think it kind of became the Stevie show at the end of Lindsey's solo. I know she's going to be gracious and collect those stuffed toys...but I don't know...I'd be bowing to LB and that incredible guitar instead of taking a bow as if I was taking all the credit - with toys in hand. I wonder if she forgot this wasn't a Nicks concert, but a Fleetwood Mac one?

Oh well - I guess that is rock and roll.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel69
This is my all time favorite song. I never tire of it ever. Now see I know everyone thinks of this as a kiss off song but sometimes I wonder. He sounds so hurt and sad sometimes during this song. Set to a different melody and speed, the angry tone of this song may not have been there.

Loving you, isn't the right thing to do

This could be taken 2 ways. Also could it be because you don't want me?

How can I ever change things that I feel

wondering how he could stop loving her.

If I could baby I'd give you my world
How can I when you won't take it from me

he's basically saying he still loves her here but she dont want him no mo.

I know the packing up shackin up line is kind of angry. but then we have....

Open up everything's waiting for you

I take the "everything" to mean him/his love. Also the guitar solo has a certain sadness to it. A friend of mine says that the guitar sounds like it's crying. I truly adore this amazing piece of music.

Jeez i got to much time on my hands.
What a beautiful assessment of this song. I've always loved it for the "love" factor. I've always thought that "How can I ever change things that I feel" was equivelent to Stevie's "So I'll begin not to love you.." meaning that they both had to deal with shaking off this love and moving on.

In the "Open up - everything's waiting for you part"...it seems like he trying to tell her he loves her and will give her his world - but she's too closed up to see it. Which matches Stevie's "I said I loved you years ago" but has to convince herself "tell myself, you never loved me....no." It seems they are just not on the same page with this relationship. He wants to give her his love, but she "won't take it from me"...but she thinks he doesn't really love her.

Man - this should be a soap opera on VH1.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Apologies if this has been discussed and answered before.
Can anybody tell me why Go Your Own Way wasn't included on the original Forrest Gump soundtrack? It was only included on the reissue 7 years after its original release.
Any ideas?

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 03-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Apologies if this has been discussed and answered before.
Can anybody tell me why Go Your Own Way wasn't included on the original Forrest Gump soundtrack? It was only included on the reissue 7 years after its original release.
Any ideas?
I have no idea but usually its about the artist not wanting to be included or is not paid enough. Maybe Lindsey didn't want the song on the soundtrack in case the movie was a flop or something. This has happened on other albums. The Flashdance soundtrack was one of the biggest selling albums of 1983. Joan Jett's "I love rock n roll" is in the movie but not included on the album. I heard that Joan did not want it on the album. The Go Gos did not want "We got the beat" (one of their biggest hits) on the Fast Times soundtrack. They gave them another song instead. We Got The Beat is the opening song to the movie.
How about this. No one thought Woodstock would be profitable. Mountain's manager persuaded the band to not be included in the soundtrack or any video performances. They lost a ton of money and publicity for that decision The album went to #1 and made many bands famous and rich.