Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Odds of Stevie nailing this TV appearance

Here’s what I mean by that. Can anyone “honestly” say Stevie Nicks has ever had a comeo or appearance on a TV show that both made sense and/or didn’t come off as one of the most awkward situations on any TV show ever?

And this doesn’t count any singing performance or even talk show appearance. This isn’t about any quality of her singing on Tv (that’s a completely different topic) but her attempts at “acting” on actual TV shows even if it’s always as herself. And this criticism of her tv appearances isn’t even primarily about the quality of her acting, which Stevie doesn’t pretend to be good or even ok at. Her acting has nothing to do with how little sense the scene in Coven where Stevie is singing HAEWAFY to Fiona, the shows arguably most deadly character, as just upstairs the shows most likable and youngest character is getting drowned in a bathtub?! Do I love that this exists and do I love it, YES. But does it seem more like an SNL skit then a scene from American Horror Story, Also Yes. And then in the season finale she comes back to walk around the house singing seven wonders and cheerily wish the girls luck with the seven wonders like they’re the SATs.

And it’s not just American Horror Story. Any time she shows up on a tv show it seems so forced. But situations like that make sense for shows like the Chris Issack show and whatever that Christina applegate show was called. But it felt so weird within AHS

Now my only reason for even asking this question is I think there may be a “chance” this time will be different is Ryan Murphy seems to have this appearance by Stevie Nicks pre woven into his plot and has given it serious thought. Because let’s be honest, he’s a huge fan and last time just said **** it with it making sense im putting Stevie Nicks in this. And she’s on record admitting the seven wonders scene was her freaking idea. Ryan Murphy is kind of like the polar oppositte of Lindsey in that regards, to shutting down a bad Stevie idea.but considering he’s written a whole new season with the idea of Stevie being involved in the plot from the beginning.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 08-19-2018, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So to answer my own question I say slim to very slim. But like I say above, if it wasn’t the fact it’s preplanned I would be saying very slim to none.

And again even if the appearances are the worst they could possibly I’ll still love them I’m sure.

If I had enough talent to make great TV shows your danm right id be finding convenient ways to bring Stevie into the plot. For instance if I was Vince Gilligan Stevie Nicks would absolutely be calling Saul in season 6 of Better Call Saul to give her the best legal advice to getting Lindsey out of the band

He Will Burn You Down
Old 08-19-2018, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nevermind, scenes of her plotting with Saul would be way too wordy for her scenes to be:

Correction, she just loves eating at Los Pollos Hermanos,it’s her favorite chicken in all of Arizona. And we see her eating in one once!

He Will Burn You Down
Old 08-19-2018, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I don't know which was more awkward: watching the HAEWAFY scene in AHS (I honestly never fully appreciated the extent of Jessica Lange's acting skills until the part in this scene where Stevie plonks out two chords repeatedly on the piano and Jessica saunters over appearing enchanted and declares "It's beautiful..." and "Just what I need after a long hard week"), or reading this thread with Hawkeye talking back and forth between himself.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wasn’t talking between myself. If you notice the times of the posts, they’re really more just one continuous thread where I kept forgetting something or thought of the exact opposite of what I posted 30 seconds after hitting send.

Sorry but I have to clarify There is a distinct difference between that coming back here over time responding to just myself in my drunken state I found t much easier to make new posts then to edit.

And yes, I never looked at it that way but she did deserve the Emmy for convincingly making it seem like that belongs in my other thread of top Stevie performances this century.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 08-20-2018, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The little telephone thing she did on Chris Isaak wasn't too bad.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:44 AM

I don't think she's bad in acting. She doesn't get many lines. But, that plunking chords down on the piano with that nasal voice is torture for me to listen to. I love AHS. I felt her scene was "forced" as you say. But the witch thing works.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think they could use her effectively in "Superstore" on NBC or "Claws" on TNT. They shouldn't stick her in horror or camp-horror—she doesn't register properly. (She's always a lot witchier in normal surroundings.) She makes you question whether what you're watching is really supposed to be scary or just deadpan-quirky. Better to stick her in dumb comedies and let her be cock-your-head-to-the-side ditzy, or just give a withering look.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-20-2018, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Here’s what I mean by that. Can anyone “honestly” say Stevie Nicks has ever had a comeo or appearance on a TV show that both made sense and/or didn’t come off as one of the most awkward situations on any TV show ever?

And this doesn’t count any singing performance or even talk show appearance. This isn’t about any quality of her singing on Tv (that’s a completely different topic) but her attempts at “acting” on actual TV shows even if it’s always as herself. And this criticism of her tv appearances isn’t even primarily about the quality of her acting, which Stevie doesn’t pretend to be good or even ok at. Her acting has nothing to do with how little sense the scene in Coven where Stevie is singing HAEWAFY to Fiona, the shows arguably most deadly character, as just upstairs the shows most likable and youngest character is getting drowned in a bathtub?! Do I love that this exists and do I love it, YES. But does it seem more like an SNL skit then a scene from American Horror Story, Also Yes. And then in the season finale she comes back to walk around the house singing seven wonders and cheerily wish the girls luck with the seven wonders like they’re the SATs.

And it’s not just American Horror Story. Any time she shows up on a tv show it seems so forced. But situations like that make sense for shows like the Chris Issack show and whatever that Christina applegate show was called. But it felt so weird within AHS

Now my only reason for even asking this question is I think there may be a “chance” this time will be different is Ryan Murphy seems to have this appearance by Stevie Nicks pre woven into his plot and has given it serious thought. Because let’s be honest, he’s a huge fan and last time just said **** it with it making sense im putting Stevie Nicks in this. And she’s on record admitting the seven wonders scene was her freaking idea. Ryan Murphy is kind of like the polar oppositte of Lindsey in that regards, to shutting down a bad Stevie idea.but considering he’s written a whole new season with the idea of Stevie being involved in the plot from the beginning.
This is a terrific post. Her turn on AHS did seem like a stunt. It was very SNL. Her acting was odd. The Seven Wonders episode was basically a music video. They could of done it differently and more meaningfully. Maybe an apparition of Stevie always comforting Misty giving her strength when she was down - an imaginary friend. Ryan Murphy is obviously a mega fan and it clouded his judgement.

Let’s face it. Stevie is queen of the misfits and oddballs. Her music comforts people who feel ostracized and alone. They should have used her that way with Misty and gave it more meaning. Instead it felt like a total stunt.

The one scene that was excellent and had meaning was Jessica Lange crying to Has Anything Ever Written Anything for You while Stevie sang it at the piano. Her performance really captured the sadness and loneliness of that song. It was awesome.

https://youtu.be/ig4wlFEx83A

Last edited by Jondalar; 08-20-2018 at 06:00 PM..