User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
But his Empire State and Eyes of the World could have easily appeared on Tusk. The production quality is just much better and other band members are playing on the songs.
I agree on the Tusk-ness of those songs, but that does count for Can't go back and Book of Love too. Where I disagree is that the production is better. I love the production on Tusk. It's different and warm. On mirage it is more slick, but is that better?

By the way, to my knowledge the only one of the Nine lindseysongs without the band is the Ledge. That is also the only song that really as a lo fi quality. The rest is tasteful and layered. The story of him doing everything on his own was true for the demo's. But he brought them to the band, and they provided the definate recordings of those songs. Or am I wrong?

Old 10-03-2016, 05:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I agree on the Tusk-ness of those songs, but that does count for Can't go back and Book of Love too. Where I disagree is that the production is better. I love the production on Tusk. It's different and warm. On mirage it is more slick, but is that better?

By the way, to my knowledge the only one of the Nine lindseysongs without the band is the Ledge. That is also the only song that really as a lo fi quality. The rest is tasteful and layered. The story of him doing everything on his own was true for the demo's. But he brought them to the band, and they provided the definate recordings of those songs. Or am I wrong?
Maybe "better" was not the correct word. How about more of a group effort that sounded like Fleetwood Mac? I would not use the word "slick" though.
Half the songs on Tusk are slow tempo. That is not a bad thing just an observation. Mirage is more pop but love to hear Mick's up-beat drumming. The songs are more crisp. Maybe crisp is a better adjective than slick LOL
Songs like Cant Go Back and Book of love would have been a digital programmed slick productions on Go Insane.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-03-2016 at 05:27 AM..
Old 10-03-2016, 09:55 AM
Senior Ledgie

I guess Lindsey knew he had to play safe that time: Tusk wasn't the success the company expected, so Mirage was his "Ok, ****".
There are good moments on the record and the whole album was a jewel of production, but Lindsey's songs on it are overall his weakest. Oh Diane was awful, Eyes of the world a good one with a boring arrangment (Live version was much better). Said that, I truly believe he was into the whole "50s vibe" (Law And Order was truly a testament of Lindsey's approach).

Ps: Empire state (the early mix) has some sick guitar lines

" Mi dicono alla radio statti calmo statti buono,
non esser scalmanato stai tranquillo e fatti uomo,
ma io con la mia guerra voglio andare sempre avanti,
e costi quel che costi la vincerò non ci son santi. "
Old 10-14-2016, 07:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

Law & Order was recorded in between sessions for Mirage, and you can tell that he brought some of his retro vibe from the L&O sessions to Mirage, so I think that sound was certainly inspired and was his main direction for his songs. I remember somewhere reading that Mick said on the first day of the Mirage sessions, Lindsey showed up wearing his best Elvis attire, or throwback attire, something to that effect.

I like Lindsey's songs on Mirage. But Lindsey was forced to be more more mainstream, which is apparent in Book of Love, Can't Go Back and especially Oh Diane. Those songs are fine (Book of Love is my favorite of his 5 songs). But in Empire State and Eyes of the World, you can see that Lindsey is still pushing the musical boundaries as far as he could and still be able to get away with it. Love those two songs too. The demo version of Empire State is probably how he really wanted it to sound on record but had to use a more polished and toned down version for the final product, but even that is pretty left field.

My main question is, what would Lindsey have to say about his 5 songs on Mirage. That would be interesting to hear.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, I was listening to the Buckingham Nicks CD this week for the first time in years and noticed something I don't think has been mentioned here before- Lindsey's instrumental song Stephanie sounds a lot like his song Eyes of the World from Mirage. A lot! Anyone else ever notice that?
Old 10-28-2016, 11:35 AM
Ledgie

BWBoy, yes I noticed that. My guess is since he was planning to leave after Mirage it would be sort of neat to end his time in Fleetwood Mac with the first song he ever recorded. Or another interpretation I've read is that it's to emphasize that Eyes Of The World is aimed at Stevie Nicks, since Stephanie was named after Stevie.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I always viewed LB's contributions to Mirage as a more radio friendly attempt at a solo album. Only exception would be eyes of the world, to me that sounded like a Fleetwood Mac focused song. I've always thought of Mirage as a Fleetwood Mac album from SN, and CM, with LB trying to sound like a solo artist. As an album I think it fails. (the same could be said about Tango which I believe is exactly the same with SN songs to a lesser degree)

Mirage is just a 1/2 Fleetwood Mac 1/2 Law and Order Part 2 album to me.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This man needs to do a solo tour. He should announce it November 9th and it'll be the biggest announcement that day.