User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-12-2002, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default It's decent

I had a listen...it was tolerable, but certainly not something I'd want Lindsey to cover. I don't really go for that kind of la-de-da sixties happy hippy flower child vibe.

Old 11-12-2002, 09:53 AM

Hey, I'm glad you guys gave it a chance. It's hard to argue tastes, and I actually got a chuckle from your reactions. It remains one of my favorite quirky Stones tunes. I'm a big Stones fan because a lot of times the music just conveys a certain amount of spontaneity that Fleetwood Mac's music lacks. Mrs. Carne said to me recently, "Do you really think the Stones are that good? Their music just sounds like it was thrown together."

Indeed, early on the music was kind of thrown together. Mick and the boys would spend a day or two in the studio and cut three songs. Keith could barely tune his guitar, and sometimes he would record anyway. When the Stones teamed up with Don Was in the studio for Voodoo Lounge, Keith mentioned that sometimes he and the other band members thought they had a song pretty much completed but Don would tell them it needed more work.

But when it comes to listening to the Stones, it really is about the groove and the emotion. When you listen to Street Fighting Man or Wild Horses, the song reaches you at a raw emotional level because of what it conveys. It's a mood thing.

Having said that, I think if you put Lindsey and Keith Richards in the studio together, they would come to blows. They approach music from such different angles. But seeing Lindsey the perfectionist approach a handful of Stones tunes, lending that Lindsey quality to the music, is a fascinating thing. That is why I'd love to see Lindsey tackle She's a Rainbow or, say, even Sympathy for the Devil. What would he do? I believe those would be more challenging than the songs we know he's done.

Lindsey is a Stones fan. And that is all right in my book.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Being that I really like what I've heard of Lindsey's Stones covers, I'm really glad that he did OBSCURE (or relatively, so) Stones tunes, rather than covering the more "common" ones. The last thing we need is another version of "Jumpin' Jack Flash" or "Honky Tonk Women".

I think it's fairly obvious that even on Lindsey's own tunes on "GOS" he was influenced by the Stones sound; especially on "Gift Of Screws" (the horns sound vaguely...VERY vaguely...like something from the Stones' "Exile On Main St" era) & the demo of "Wear You Down" (which unashamedly borrows the melody of the Stones' "Stupid Girl")
Old 11-12-2002, 02:58 PM

Chili, I agree with you about covering well-known songs. The charm of the songs he picked is that they are more obscure. But speaking from a purely academic standpoint, it would be interesting to see what Lindsey would do with such unusual tunes as Sympathy or Rainbow.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You mean like Eric Clapton covering James Taylor's "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight"? I found it odd that Eric would do that, but he definitely "made the song his own".

In thinking about how Lindsey would deal with "Sympathy For The Devil", I hear something along the lines of "Wrong" or "Tusk".

What I'd REALLY like to hear Lindsey tackle are:

"Jigsaw Puzzle Blues"
"Oh Well, Part 2"
"This Is The Rock"
"Woman Of A Thousand Years"
"Dust"
"She's Changing Me"

Last edited by chiliD; 11-14-2002 at 03:15 AM..
Old 11-12-2002, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking YES, YES, YES!!!

Lindsey doing Woman of a 1000 Years!!!

As Seteca would say...BRILLIANT!
Old 11-12-2002, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile I would...

like to hear Lindsey try either "Paint It Black", "19th Nervous Breakdown", "The Last Time" or "Play With Fire" (My fave of the bunch) as cover songs...Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 11-13-2002, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think its a beautiful Rolling Stones song..its so cheerful you can't help but skip around to the song!

They had it for the apple computers a while back...like 5 years ago...and thats when I really first heard the song and then the radio would play it more because of that...but I have always liked it.

As for Lindsey doing it...he's quirky so Id think it'd be wonderful!!

On a totally different topic

I wish he'd go produce Kate Bush. She loves quirkiness and electric guitars and I think Linds would be GREAT.

I hear how Eric Clapton did a song for Christine McVie and Kate...and just what he added for both. Lindsey was great for Christine..so I could imagine for Kate!!!
Old 11-13-2002, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: YES, YES, YES!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
Lindsey doing Woman of a 1000 Years!!!

As Seteca would say...BRILLIANT!
lmao....!

I'll tell you what definitely would be brilliant....!.....that idea of "Oh Well, Part 2"....!!!!

That would be just.....BRILLIANT!!!!!

Old 11-13-2002, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up OH YEAH!!

That is an AWESOME idea!! Lindsey? Ya listenin'? Hehehehe...