User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I’d be willing to believe that, if not for this…

Rolling Stone, August, 2017
There are a million examples in print and on radio where this or that member said, "Maybe we'll try a couple of old songs from the catalog on this next tour," and . . . nothing like that happened. Why should one statement quoted by Rolling Stone at this time convince you that the band suddenly decided to "roam vast" over its 50 years? Don't you remember Christine telling Jim Ladd, before the 1982 tour, that she was thinking about pulling some of her Mystery to Me and Heroes songs out of the cupboard? She said something like, "Now that I have trained myself to sing well, I want to play some of my old material because those old vocal tracks never pleased me."

Are you unfamiliar with Stevie's oft-quoted comments that "We can't throw in too many new songs because audiences will get bored" and "Look what happened to us in Kansas City in 1977"? Whether a song is a new song or an old song that may as well be new to the concert audience is moot: Stevie's true feelings are apparent. A concert set should consist of the familiar.

The idea that only some members of the band were sitting around for decades, slow-burning with the desire to play 1967 to 1974 songs but continually sabotaged by some other members . . . this is bunk. And the idea that one of those members who slow-burned with the desire to play old songs was Stevie Nicks . . . this is a layer of crud on the bunk.

It was probably Mick and John who were cool with the idea every tour. They're easy. They recorded all fifty years. They aren't songwriters. When you're a songwriter and your song is a radio hit, it's natural you want to perform it live. As Fleetwood Mac cemented its iconic whatness with multimillion-selling albums, the concert set ossified. Who is surprised?

(By the way, I'm not suggesting that, during the set planning for 1979, Lindsey didn't urge everyone to play a lot of Tusk. Of course he did. But that's not the same as saying that he wouldn't "allow" this or that from 1970.)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

David, I think Stevie was emboldened by how well her 24 Karat Gold tour went, which had more deep cuts than usual, which might have been what Mick was partially referring to in that interview.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nah. Just accept I’m right and move on.

Haha, seems that's the only way to stop going around in circles with you or rebutting your splitting hairs on everything discussed.

Using the term chomping at the bit was probably not the best term to use referring to when Neil and Mike were asked to join the band. Yes they both didn't decide instantly, but it didn't take them long. Mike, a day? And Neil was rehearsing with them 2 weeks after he was asked. They were both very eager and excited to join. The prestige, glory, and money being on the BIG STAGE with FM was far too appealing for them to pass up.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The whole private jet/LA Forum is a red herring pulled out of a much bigger conversation Mike was having in regards to Tom's passing and the possible sudden end of The Heartbreakers. When people die or relationships end you always sit and think later wow I'm never gonna do (blank) again. Mike seems like a pretty humble guy and I don't think it's some huge priority that he flies on a G4. He was and is processing a loss.
Rolling Stone being the journalistic whores that they have always been (not necessarily a bad thing) threw that salacious bit of red meat out there for the FOMO/outside looking in folks, a little bit of which exists in all of us.
I'm not going to sit here and watch people start trashing Mike or Neil for that matter when Saint Lindsey f*cking Buckingham is building 20 million dollar spec homes and flies on a private jet to every god damn show. It's f*cking hypocrisy on the part of those making it a thing and takes us yet even further away from the music.
Your 6 month long psychotic break over whatever the hell happened between FM and LB is exhausting and quite frankly played. I don't have the patience for it anymore. He's doing his tour and they're doing their tour. They are both releasing retrospectives with over 100 songs combined.
Anyone want to talk about music?
Old 10-06-2018, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
The whole private jet/LA Forum is a red herring pulled out of a much bigger conversation Mike was having in regards to Tom's passing and the possible sudden end of The Heartbreakers. When people die or relationships end you always sit and think later wow I'm never gonna do (blank) again. Mike seems like a pretty humble guy and I don't think it's some huge priority that he flies on a G4. He was and is processing a loss.
Rolling Stone being the journalistic whores that they have always been (not necessarily a bad thing) threw that salacious bit of red meat out there for the FOMO/outside looking in folks, a little bit of which exists in all of us.
I'm not going to sit here and watch people start trashing Mike or Neil for that matter when Saint Lindsey f*cking Buckingham is building 20 million dollar spec homes and flies on a private jet to every god damn show. It's f*cking hypocrisy on the part of those making it a thing and takes us yet even further away from the music.
Your 6 month long psychotic break over whatever the hell happened between FM and LB is exhausting and quite frankly played. I don't have the patience for it anymore. He's doing his tour and they're doing their tour. They are both releasing retrospectives with over 100 songs combined.

Yeah, like I said, WE ALL LIKE MONEY!
Old 10-06-2018, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Yeah, like I said, WE ALL LIKE MONEY!
Apparently, that’s a no.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-06-2018, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Apparently, that’s a no.

Hah, you're so funny. These boards have never been completely all about music. There's always non musical subjects interjected in these threads. So be it. I'm all about talking about music. It's one of my favorite things in life.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
There are a million examples in print and on radio where this or that member said, "Maybe we'll try a couple of old songs from the catalog on this next tour," and . . . nothing like that happened. Why should one statement quoted by Rolling Stone at this time convince you that the band suddenly decided to "roam vast" over its 50 years? Don't you remember Christine telling Jim Ladd, before the 1982 tour, that she was thinking about pulling some of her Mystery to Me and Heroes songs out of the cupboard? She said something like, "Now that I have trained myself to sing well, I want to play some of my old material because those old vocal tracks never pleased me."

Are you unfamiliar with Stevie's oft-quoted comments that "We can't throw in too many new songs because audiences will get bored" and "Look what happened to us in Kansas City in 1977"? Whether a song is a new song or an old song that may as well be new to the concert audience is moot: Stevie's true feelings are apparent. A concert set should consist of the familiar.

The idea that only some members of the band were sitting around for decades, slow-burning with the desire to play 1967 to 1974 songs but continually sabotaged by some other members . . . this is bunk. And the idea that one of those members who slow-burned with the desire to play old songs was Stevie Nicks . . . this is a layer of crud on the bunk.

It was probably Mick and John who were cool with the idea every tour. They're easy. They recorded all fifty years. They aren't songwriters. When you're a songwriter and your song is a radio hit, it's natural you want to perform it live. As Fleetwood Mac cemented its iconic whatness with multimillion-selling albums, the concert set ossified. Who is surprised?

(By the way, I'm not suggesting that, during the set planning for 1979, Lindsey didn't urge everyone to play a lot of Tusk. Of course he did. But that's not the same as saying that he wouldn't "allow" this or that from 1970.)
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

You just said exactly what I quite frankly didn't have the energy or patience to say at this point.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Is that supposed to be a new stance for you?
LOL Homer....you're not exactly the person that should be talking about personal stances of others with your record of comments/stances lolol
Old 10-06-2018, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
You're correct. Mike told Mick that he needed time to think about the offer. Neil initially didn't want to accept the offer but his son Liam talked him into joining the band. Fleetwood Mac is Liam's wife favorite band and Liam has become a huge fan of the Mac.
Oh just in time. I was wondering when the Neil Finn PR team would chime in.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
LOL Homer....you're not exactly the person that should be talking about personal stances of others with your record of comments/stances lolol
I'm funny/sarcastic. I'm an authority on nothing. Nor pretend to be.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Oh just in time. I was wondering when the Neil Finn PR team would chime in.
Old Sugar Mick to the rescue. Instead of pushing up fescue.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
David, I think Stevie was emboldened by how well her 24 Karat Gold tour went, which had more deep cuts than usual, which might have been what Mick was partially referring to in that interview.
You're right. She has stepped out of the usual on some of her tours. I'm not totally familiar with the 24 Karat tour, but I saw videos of the two title tracks of her first two albums. I wanted to give Stevie a warm handshake when I saw those. And her 1998 tour with Sleeping Angel and Rose Garden and Garbo, too. Muchos kudos. I saw Stevie's first tour and felt the excitement of seeing her play a Tom Petty song I had no knowledge she even knew. So she has definitely made her brave, funky choices, and they almost always turned out to be very welcome.

But she has never been a shock jock of the concert set list. She usually treats her choice and running order of songs as a commodity: this year sounds a lot like last year, which sounded a lot like the year before, etc.

And even more pronounced than the choice of song for a tour is the arrangement of the song. Depending on the band, it's almost always the same. There isn't much difference in the way Dreams is done onstage from decade to decade. Maybe the fatigue we sometimes say we feel with certain songs is really a fatigue with the musical sameness. (What if this year they did Dreams entirely a cappella, with Stevie, Christine, Neil, Mike, and backup people?) Lindsey does this too, I'm bummed to say, but on occasion he "reimagines" a song by giving it a new arrangement or a different atmosphere, as he did with Big Love and what-all I can't think of the others. I think on one tour of his, he did I'm So Afraid with a greatly-pared-down drum kit, which made it sound kind of futuristic or sci-fi.

I've always been of the mind that I don't care what they all play, if they're playing it differently. Remember when Matchbox 20 turned Never Going Back Again into a minor dirge? It didn't work for me all that well, but I was happy about the attempt to really reimagine the damn old thing---like going from bluegrass to Depeche Mode.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-07-2018, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Old Sugar Mick to the rescue. Instead of pushing up fescue.
I bet tambourine witch , who is in her little hangers on bubble has NO idea about the back lash. These shows are all a HUGE FU to Lindsey. Wah wah Lindsey wAnted me to turn down my music wah wah.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I bet tambourine witch , who is in her little hangers on bubble has NO idea about the back lash. These shows are all a HUGE FU to Lindsey. Wah wah Lindsey wAnted me to turn down my music wah wah.
They are!

I just pray that it's true that Neil told her to STFU, blathering between songs. I'd buy a ticket if he'd tell her ON MIC to STFU. Poor old goat doesn't know when to stop bleating.