The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Am I the only one who would include Forever?

I love that Afro-rock feel that pre-dates all those '80s "let's got to Africa and make an album" albums like Paul Simon and that other bloke, big tall English guy, what's-his-name?

(David Essex did one too, not that anyone noticed).
Old 11-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not a big fan of Forever, namely because of the drum machine.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would include "Homeward Bound" on a Welch-era compilation. (I'd include it on a compilation of all of Fleetwood Mac, for that matter.) I absolutely love the piano on that song and how it is really a lead instrument, along with the guitar. I wish there were more like that, with Chris playing her keyboards as a lead instrument. I also think the song itself is superb. It has such emotional honesty and clarity, just as much as, or even more than, some of her better-known love songs.

Of course, the Welch era being my favorite era of the band, I would find it hard to get rid of most of the songs. The only songs I could drop easily are the two Dave Walker songs, which I skip anyway when I listen to the 'Penguin' album.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re View Post
You mean there are...no, wait, I'll remain silent on that point.
Oh, c'mon, say what you're thinking ... the Nicksfans aren't reading a thread with the title "Bob Welch-era compilation." It has nothing for them. (lol)

And I agree about "Forever" .... great tune.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Oh, c'mon, say what you're thinking ... the Nicksfans aren't reading a thread with the title "Bob Welch-era compilation." It has nothing for them. (lol)
Oh, there's a little something: the Welch and Nicks worlds have collided once or twice.

Michele
Old 11-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Oh, there's a little something: the Welch and Nicks worlds have collided once or twice.
True ... with very excellent results, I might add.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Neb-Maat-Re
Addicted Ledgie

Am I the only one who would include Forever?

I love that Afro-rock feel that pre-dates all those '80s "let's got to Africa and make an album" albums like Paul Simon and that other bloke, big tall English guy, what's-his-name?

(David Essex did one too, not that anyone noticed).
Quote:
I would include "Homeward Bound" on a Welch-era compilation. (I'd include it on a compilation of all of Fleetwood Mac, for that matter.) I absolutely love the piano on that song and how it is really a lead instrument, along with the guitar. I wish there were more like that, with Chris playing her keyboards as a lead instrument. I also think the song itself is superb. It has such emotional honesty and clarity, just as much as, or even more than, some of her better-known love songs.
I remember way back that I really loved Paul Simon (and Art Garfunkel) on "Homeward Bound".
Old 11-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hey, some Stevie fans are fans of pre-1975 Mac. Not very many, but there's a select few.

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 12-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Hey, some Stevie fans are fans of pre-1975 Mac. Not very many, but there's a select few.
Ha more than you know. All it takes is for most to sit down and listen to the pre-1975 Mac and they convert, surprisingly quickly. * truth *

PS. I appreciate all three eras, as opposed to one or another, so I triple my pleasure and triple my fun.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Ledgie

Hello SteveMacD-- I believe I'm in agreement with you. Although I enjoy Christine's Welch-era music, her songwriting and singing both improved after Linds & Stevie joined the band. Still can't figure out if it's the songs themselves, or the arrangement and production values. But, you can certainly hear the difference, beginning with"Warm Ways" on the White Album. Don't get me wrong, there are some wonderful Christine songs pre-Rumours, but the majority of her best work is clearly during the Buckingham-Nicks time. Just my humble opinion, of course. Best always, Madelow.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
We don't know...that's the point. (Of course, there are a few of 1974, but earlier than that? )
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Well, there's the Seattle '72 set that was on radio. I'm sure there's a master of that somewhere. (If not, they could always use Pro Tools to work audio magic.)
DUH!!! I should've known that. Thanks for reminding me, that one totally escaped my mind. One of the major significant points of that is for the reason of Danny (!!!) taking the lead vocal on "Black Magic Woman".

There's also a live show from just a bit earlier than Seattle...from Germany, I seem to recall.

And, Bob himself on his website has a MTM era live "Black Magic Woman"

Quote:
I'd also be curious if there are any rehearsal tapes out there, similar to the Madison Blues stuff from this era.

And for crying out loud, we need the Fleetwood Mac version of Good Things.
HUZZAH!!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah, her voice was rough back then, but I still love it.
I tend to like her voice rough on that song.... I liked the "underground circuit" piano and vocal sound they produced back then... it was more underground rock oriented than a pop vocal....

Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-09-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Mick Fleetwood: drums
John McVie: bass
Christine Perfect: keyboards, vocals
Jeremy Spencer: slide guitar, vocals
Danny Kirwan: lead/rhythm guitar, vocals

My tracklist (starting with Future Games, since the Madison Blues set covers the Kiln House era band): (not sure of timing...but I think it's under 80 minutes)

Sunny Side Of Heaven
Future Games
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Sands Of Time
Sentimental Lady
Heroes Are Hard To Find
Woman Of 1000 Years
Revelation
Believe Me
Bermuda Triangle
Child Of Mine
Angel
Dissatisfied
Hypnotized
Dust
Why
May I add The City to this... I love that jam....
Old 01-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That whole album is pure genius.
Just started reading this thread. But I had to jump in to say that you are SO RIGHT! It's one of my favorite albums of all time!

Quote:
DUH!!! I should've known that. Thanks for reminding me, that one totally escaped my mind. One of the major significant points of that is for the reason of Danny (!!!) taking the lead vocal on "Black Magic Woman".
HUZZAH!!!!

I would sell my soul to the woman of a 1000 years AND the black magic woman to hear that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of, where are these Live recordings during the Welch era? Were they released on vinyl??

Quote:
My tracklist (starting with Future Games, since the Madison Blues set covers the Kiln House era band): (not sure of timing...but I think it's under 80 minutes)

Sunny Side Of Heaven
Future Games
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Sands Of Time
Sentimental Lady
Heroes Are Hard To Find
Woman Of 1000 Years
Revelation
Believe Me
Bermuda Triangle
Child Of Mine
Angel
Dissatisfied
Hypnotized
Dust
Why
And I'm listening to this playlist right now. Thanks ChiliD.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 01-10-2009 at 10:58 PM..
Old 01-11-2009, 03:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelow View Post
Hello SteveMacD-- I believe I'm in agreement with you. Although I enjoy Christine's Welch-era music, her songwriting and singing both improved after Linds & Stevie joined the band. Still can't figure out if it's the songs themselves, or the arrangement and production values. But, you can certainly hear the difference, beginning with"Warm Ways" on the White Album. Don't get me wrong, there are some wonderful Christine songs pre-Rumours, but the majority of her best work is clearly during the Buckingham-Nicks time. Just my humble opinion, of course. Best always, Madelow.
I dunno if I completely agree. I think Spare Me A Little Of Your Love and Why easily stand up to anything she ever did with Stevie and Lindsey. Also, I don't hear too many major differences between her songs themselves on the white Fleetwood Mac album from the earlier work. After that, I hear some differences, and I think a lot of that can be attributed to moving to L.A., leaving John (and thus having new subject matter), success, and spending much more time on the road (which can be a major boost to creativity).

That having been said, I think it would only make sense that it would sound better. Not even taking into account that they had two singers who had a jones for vocal harmony and found ways to have their voices interact with Christine's, they spent a much greater time producing the albums with that band. They recorded Bare Trees in a week, but spent three months recording white Fleetwood Mac album. Every album since has take a minimum of a year to record.

THE Stephen Hopkins