User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-25-2002, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Gabriel w/Green question

Naturally, yesterday, I ran out and got the Peter Gabriel "Up" CD (and the John Lee Hooker tribute CD as well but one thing at a time! ) which has Greeny playing guitar on the song "Sky blue". Now, thematically, it sounds very similar to "Ngankarrparni (Sky blue - Reprise)" which Greeny also plays on from Gabriel's "Long walk home ("Rabbit Proof fence" soundtrack)" CD as we had discussed a while back and it should be obvious from the title similaries right?!

So, I know I'd need to hang on to the "Long walk home ("Rabbit proof fence" soundtrack)" CD for Greeny anyways as he also plays on "Cloudless" from that CD but what I'm trying to figure out is if they used the SAME RECORDING of Greeny's guitar on this new "Sky blue" version for the song from the "Up" CD or if it is in fact two different recordings of Greeny's guitar parts as although there are words and everything in this new version which makes the SONG different, the only thing that concerns me as a fan (in the way I personally collect) is trying to find out if they just sampled it from the previous CD (which would, as a Greeny fan collecting the way I personally do, make this "Up" CD "redundant" for my collection, the minimalist that I am!) or if it was another recorded take (in which case I would hang on to this "Up" CD) or what? I know Peter Gabriel is usually pretty good at listing what he samples and it doesn't say anything about it in the notes to either CD (in regards to the relevant tracks/imstruments anyways) but I guess I just wanted to check with Mario and any other expert Greeny ears out there to see if they know what the deal is on this. I can't really tell from listening to it myself so I need some help.

The guitar part that I do hear that "could" be Greeny (as there are a few guitar players on this track) on the "Sky blue" from "Up" is definitely LOUDER than it was on the LWH(RPF) "version" but I noticed that there are 3 guitar players listed on the credits for the "Up" "version" of the song whereas there are only 2 guitarists listed on the LWH(RPF) version so could this account for the extra "loudness" on the new "version"? Though we know this session took place this summer, there are no specific listings in the CD booklets to either release that would give us an indication as to if it was recorded (and released) in two different takes or if they simply used the same guitar part on both tracks.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated as I'm just trying to find out so that I'd know if the "Up" CD is in fact "redundant" for my FM collection or not. I hope to hear from someone soon on this topic here.

John
Old 09-26-2002, 07:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

John, what's UP like overall anyway? I'm interested in it, but your opinion first would be good. I'm talking about Peter Gabriel and overall, not just the Greeny segment!!

As for that question - who knows - sounds to me, from what you've said, its the same recording.

But as for your 'minimalist' approach, and obsession with redundant recordings appearing in your library. Their is more to just the recorded, mechanics of the music which is put out by the artist, it is how they package it, how they want it in the playlist, or as a part of the whole. Even with the new 'Thinking About Tomorrow' - I think Lindsey may have had some real interest/input into the songs chosen and their arrangement. Maybe on some occassions it is OK to respect the integrity of the artist and art wholistically, rather than so deconstructedly.

Hmmm do yourself a favour and ingore my ramblings.
Old 09-26-2002, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile RODEO

Well, I only had the chance to listen to it (in full) twice so far but roughly, (going by what I've heard from his last "proper" album 1992's "Us" (which wasn't too much) and I don't profess to knowing too much about Gabriel's solo works in general but...) I like it a lot. It's not quite as straightforward sounding as say the "So" album was in comparison but it's probably on the whole quieter that "Us" was (though the opening cut "Darkness" goes from quiet rhythms to thumping white electronic sounding noise & boxy vocals stylings) and "Growing up" & "The Barry Williams show" are probably the closest to straighhtforward "singles" for the record (Greg Brady take note) There's also the piano and voice only "Here comes the flood"-style of the closing track "The drop" which you might like too but that's all I can remember off hand right now, If I have any more thoughts on the tunes from "Up", I'll let you know. I hope that was of some help though anyways.

I'm sorry that we have a difference of opinion on collecting etc. I'm glad you enjoy the packaging and all of the other artistic attrributes that go along with the music. However, and, without breaking out the violins, I really only have so much money to use on my collection (just as everyone else here does too I'm sure) so with that being the case, although I do value their other artistic visions (as you were saying) I had to think of what is it first and foremost that makes me a FM fan and it is the music, so I chose to concentrate on the music and those that know me well know how being a "completest" makes me happy and how I am happy when I can stay on top of things etc. and I guess I look at it as I would rather be on top of one aspect of my collection at all times (as much as I can be anyways) rather than be involved in various different areas of collecting and as a result, not be on top of any of them in the process. I personally get the most pleasure out of hearing all of the new FM and related music available. Given the choice, I would rather have a CD of newly released FM music that has bad packaging than a GH compilation of stuff I already have with nice packaging. I realize it's not as simple as that as naturally I would prefer a FM release with new music to have nice packaging as well but given the limitations of funds available to me/us etc. etc. etc. etc. Well, we all have our own choices to make and I've made mine and I'm glad you are happy with yours. JMHO.

Now, Mario (or anybody else):

I did originally think what Rodeo was just saying (that the "Sky blue" guitar track of Greeny's could be the same on both "Us" & LWH(RPF)) but I just rememberd that Mario had posted here about the news that Peter had gone in to the studio "in the summer" to record this part and I noticed that the LWH(RPF) soundtrack was originally released in April of this year so I guess it could be possible that this summer's session was for the "Up" track and there could've been an earlier session for the 2 Greeny tracks on LWH(RPF) (?) Well, if anyone knows anything further on this then please do post about it here. Thanks!

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 09-26-2002 at 12:22 PM..
Old 09-27-2002, 07:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Hey Wetcamel

Thanks for the review on UP! I'll have to look into it. Meanwhile, talk about the Season of CDs. I think there is a pandemic of wallet pains amongst Ledgies these days, or at least, anticipatory wallet pains!

Thanks for clarifying your thinking about the GH CD. I had read yours and - is it ChilliD's? - posts earlier about how you will abstain from purchasing it, and didn't exactly sympathise with your stance. Now you've explained it so that I could myself be swayed to that position! But yeah, I get sold by lame things like the cover art/book I guess I'm the sorta person they count on up there at Resell....I mean, Rhino!

And as for your actual original question - umm, still no idea! lol. I assume you've probbaly already checked out the Gabriel site etc?
Old 09-27-2002, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile RODEO

Don't get me wrong, I don't think your "way of collecting" is "lame" or anything, I completely respect it, I know many others collect like the way you do so that's cool.

Hey, good idea, maybe I could e mail someone at Gabriel's site about this question of mine. Thanks for the tip.

If anyone ELSE out there has any news on this then that would be great and would save me the trouble of the "investigation" so please post about it here if ya know. Thanks everybody!

John