The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-16-2004, 08:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I will say this, if anyone decides to download I would use the BitComet. I think the program is better laid out and it doesn't seem to be taking as long as the BitTornado. But at only 27.7 % downloaded I still have a 'real long way to go'.
Brit

"I always return here..."
Old 11-16-2004, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Even thou the wait can seem forever, it all depends on how many people are seeding it. That really determines how quickly you download it. It's actually a pretty popular way to download - and it's lossless. If you check out suprnova.org you can see the number of torrent files available and how many people have downloaded certain things. Movies are pretty popular. But the files can be huge.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
well, i don't just sit there while it's downloading for 2 days....
I don't either. I can still surf or check email or do wordprocessing. I certainly can't burn anything but that's about the only limitation. I'm on cable so I have a broadband pipeline going in and out. The only thing that rules out doing torrents is being on dial up. Trying to do torrents on dialup is a huge waste of time unless you have patience and don't mind if it takes a week or more to get something. As far as the speed, yes, it's mostly a function of how many people are seeding (allowing the show to be taken from their machine.) What makes these things take longer is only having a few seeders and everyone else shutting the torrent file off after they get it downloaded. Once you have something saved you are supposed to leave it open for others to take from you. A lot of users don't do that enough. You can also look at the Torrent Trackers to see if there are more seeders than leechers. I like to jump on after shows are out there a little while, but not too long after the torrent is first seeded. That way there are more people who have the file downloaded but everyone hasn't shut theirs down yet. The best thing everyone can do is stay open at least a day after you get something so others can get it too.

Last edited by glitter_fades; 11-16-2004 at 06:53 PM..
Old 11-16-2004, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
The best thing everyone can do is stay open at least a day after you get something so others can get it too.
I think the general rule is that you upload the same amount as you download - and don't stop until that's complete. Obviously that doesn't happen, but hopefully people take it into mind, cause it's not like mp3's that are sitting there to be D/L, there's got to be co-operation from all downloading.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yikes- I can't figure this new sh*t out! I can't even figure out these replies, let alone get through reading half of them for this post alone! And at this point no one will probably even see mine ... so what's my point? Ummm, I did go to that site, and I would love to see those Tusk rehearsals. Can any technophiles do the lengthy download of this stuff and just post it somewhere for the technophobes to quickly download? I know I know...I'm asking someone else to do all the work, but couldya wouldya??!?
Hopelessly technologically disabled,
Ricoh
Old 11-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Your not the only one who can't figure this shiznit out!
Ok, Its downloaded to BitComet and I went to md5summer.org to download something ( but i don't know excatly what ). Anyways I have the VCL Player downloaded but for some reason unknown to me I can't view it.
For the love of God will someone HELP ME before I throw this computer across the room.
Brit

Old 11-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Brit- DON'T THROW YOUR COMPUTER!!! Just join me in begging someone else to figure out all the technical business and then post it on some site where we can do a regular simple download. Can't that be done? Can this stuff ONLY be viewed if you spend three days downloading it and then download all this other stuff to view it? Why must I suffer for being somewhat computer illiterate? Others are suffering because they only have dial up connections? It's not fair.....
Ricoh
Old 11-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well life isn't fair as I have so graciously found out recentely found out, but I digress. And I've been trying to get this figured out for almost a week and I'm not giving up now.
Brit

Old 11-18-2004, 01:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

If you've downloaded the VLC player... that's good.

Open the player - it will look very small, almost like it's the tool bar only.

Go to "file"

Go to "quick view" and find the folder where you down the dvd.

Once you've done that. change the way you view all the files in the folder so that you can see the size of each file (click details up top in the window to do this) and select one of the larger file sizes... this should work to watch it.

the md5summer - if you go to the folder where you downloaded the dvd and right click on the first file, you should see something in the pop up window that says "verify" you want to verify all the files first before you can view them.

If you've downloaded the dvd... that's the biggest part, you just need the proper tools to work with it.

Hopefully some of that helps you.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I wonder whether this new technology will take -- or I guess the question is "when?" Dozens of people seem to have a lot of trouble with it. I myself have avoided it, but I'll probably check it out at some point in the future.
Not everyone will ever get on the torrent train anyway. Some people don't want to get through the various software problems and the red tape that some torrent trackers (such as Sharing The Groove) have. Some people will always prefer to receive this stuff through ye olde snail mail. Then there's the people who want to contribute to sharing this stuff to others in the most efficient and least time-consuming way possible in lossless forms. Then it isn't just under one person's responsibility.

One thing that's the benefit of this is getting a flawless & lossless copy of something and then preventing it from being polluted by other traders through failed CD-R burnings and such. That's what the .md5-file is usually there for, to see if a particular fileset has retained its original integrity or not. Of course this means that you should burn torrents as data discs, not audio discs, but hell, who has the time to listen to every show in existence on a constant basis anyway.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 11-18-2004, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Well, I think? it's mainly a problem for us with older machines. Mine's almost 4 years old, and doesn't have a DVD burner, or even player. But, I've upgraded it to 100 gig hard drive, so I'm milking it as long as possible.
But, it seems like those with players/burners haven't had nearly as many problems.
True. My computer is five years old and it's managed all this fine so far.

Old 11-18-2004, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
One thing that's the benefit of this is getting a flawless & lossless copy of something and then preventing it from being polluted by other traders through failed CD-R burnings and such. That's what the .md5-file is usually there for, to see if a particular fileset has retained its original integrity or not.
So much damage has already been done to virtually every Fleetwood concert on tape that it's important to keep future copies as pristine as possible, & apparently this technology encourages that. But I just don't see an overwhelming interest in this principle on the part of the fans in general. And where are the shows coming from that are posted to the torrent? from somebody's 139th-generation tape!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
So much damage has already been done to virtually every Fleetwood concert on tape that it's important to keep future copies as pristine as possible, & apparently this technology encourages that. But I just don't see an overwhelming interest in this principle on the part of the fans in general. And where are the shows coming from that are posted to the torrent? from somebody's 139th-generation tape!
Yep, all problems that I'm aware of myself too. Let's face it, Fleetwood Mac fans of the days of yore (when we're speaking of the Rumours line-up) were hardly akin to the enthusiastic tapers of Grateful Dead or various jazz ensembles. There might not have been truly anal retentive, foam-mouthed tapers & concert collectors in the FM fan community and while that has obviously saved people's nerves, I personally would've preferred it that way than the way it is now. Ah well, I was born 25 years too late anyway.

Old 11-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, I think I'm almost there. Here's the situation so far. I went to Quick Open File on my VLC Player. Found the file, clicked details to see which one was bigger, clicked the one that was. Well it seems to open on the player but there is no sound, no video, but the little progress scrolling thing is moving and there is also no tracking number that shows the progress (no clue what its called). And I never could figure out how to "verify" with the Md5 thing. And I didn't really know which one to download. So if anyone has any patience left, I would greatly appreciate it.
Brit

**UPDATE** I give up, this is ridiculous!
OK SCRATCH WHAT I JUST SAID.....I DID IT!

Last edited by TwistedGypsy; 11-18-2004 at 06:04 PM..
Old 12-11-2004, 06:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie DVD added "US Festival" 1983

Stevie DVD added "US Festival" 1983
http://www.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=17721

Stevie Nicks Live at the US Festival
Glen Helen Park, San Bernadino, CA
May 30, 1983
The Wild Heart Tour
Pro Shot for Cable TV

DVD-R > Analog Video Tape
Audio > AC3 > Analog Stereo

Set list:

·Gold Dust Woman
·Outside The Rain
·Dreams
·Gold and Braid
·I Need To Know
·Gypsy
·Angel
·Leather And Lace
·Stand Back
·How Still My Love
·Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
·Edge Of Seventeen
·Rhiannon

This dvd was authored from Pro Shot video tape transfer.
Good quality picture for the day and age of this show.
Stevie Nicks on her 2nd solo tour is silly, sweet, and
awestruck at the enormity of the crowd on hand for this event.
Stevie at the peak of her solo career. A must see for all SN fans.

The Band

Waddy Wachtel: Guitars:
Bob Glaub: Bass Guitar
Billy Payne: Keyboards
Roy Bittan: Piano
Russ Kunkel: Drums
Bobbye Hall: Percussion
Sharon Celani: Background Singer
Lori Perry: Background Singer

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource