The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-28-2003, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

'Joe - I feel the same way. It just blew me away that someone would intentionally put down the rest of the U.S. (and other parts of the world) with such generalizations." I called the statements generalizations when i made them but I do feel that a fair percentage of the US is tragically out of touch if they feel this "war' is right .and Joe most of the world is not controlled by the 'liberal media 'and they do not agree with it either.This is my opinion and if people find it offensive then I suggest you never travel abroad and ask people in other countries what they think of US forgiein policy. My remarks will seem innoucous indeed compared to what you may hear.

Old 02-28-2003, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In her journal entries on Nicksfix, she refers to writing some of the lyrics (the chorus perhaps) of Fall From Grace at the Four Season hotel in Atlanta, Ga. She also said somewhere that the song Fall From Grace came out of The Dance tour and is somewhat about being onstage with FM. Stevie also seems to take things from different poems or journal entries written at differet times and incorporate them into songs (Angel, Destiny, Enchanted, etc.)

I know she lived at the Four Seasons for about six months in 1999 (maybe 2000). In fact, I saw her in the bar there (no I wasn't stalking - realy - I swear ). Actually, I also sort of knew the guy who did her hair at a salon here in Atlanta. He said she was totally grey, she was very nellow, she complained alot about Atlanta's traffic (which sucks), she drank exotic tea, and was a wonderful and nice person. I am such a gossip today

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-28-2003, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think Peacekeeper is a great choice for a first single. The chorus is so melodic - it appealed to me instantly. Thrown Down and Say You Will are good, too, but I believe Peacekeeper excels them both by (honestly) a wide margin.

P.S.

Quote:
Originally posted by BombaySapphire3
While the sentiment of this song will go over well here (The Bay Area)and western Europe it may not be so warmly embraced in middle America aka the Bush/Bible belt. where the perception of forgein affairs is generally not as sophisticated.
It's just this kind of elitist, condescending perpetuation of degrading stereotypes that turns independent voters away from the Democratic party. So go ahead and alienate everyone outside of San Francisco, but don't whine if"Shrub" gets re-lected because of the perception that Democrats are contemptous of the "regular guys" everywhere else. This perception may not be accurate, but when people read statements like yours, what are they supposed to think?

Old 02-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
Don't whine if "Shrub" gets re-lected because of the perception that Democrats are contemptous of the "regular guys" everywhere else.
I'm not meaning to jump into the fray here, because I'd just as soon leave politics out of all discussions... but I got a good chuckle out of the irony in that statement, so I thought I'd say something.

And I'm not laughing at what you said, just in the disparate nature of the various perceptions... as I think a lot of Democrats (and a lot of Independents) actually feel that it's Republicans who are contemptuous of the "regular guys"... ie: Blue-collar workers.
Hence the continual tax-cuts and tax-breaks for those with higher incomes, while programs such as Medicare and Social Security... which most benefit the "working class"... are often the first things to be hit when a Republican government needs to tighten the proverbial belt.

I got a kick out of it recently, when a Republican analysist said that people in the middle and lower-classes, wouldn't argue with President Bush's current economic plan... which seemingly favors the upper-classes... because, he says, "people in the lower-classes wish they were rich too."
Which has to be about the most blatant "let them eat cake" kind of statement I've ever personally heard.

Anyway, I'm not meaning to favor one side or the other here, as I think both sides have their faults, and their degrees of corruption... I just found it interesting and ironic that both "sides" seem to feel that the other side is guilty of snobbery towards the middle and lower-classes.
Apparently though, we ALL wish we were rich!

Johnny Stew

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 02-28-2003 at 03:20 PM..
Old 02-28-2003, 03:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Anyway, I'm not meaning to favor one side or the other here, as I think both sides have their faults, and their degrees of corruption... I just found it interesting and ironic that both "sides" seem to feel that the other side is guilty of snobbery towards the middle and lower-classes.
Apparently though, we ALL wish we were rich!
Well, I think this statement just about sums everything up.

There are no rules when it comes to politics. You just have to read between the lines and decide for yourself.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:40 PM
Ledgie

I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I believe President Bush is doing a great job under very difficult circumstances. I guess that makes me one of those unsophisticated rednecks that doesn't happen to live in San Francisco. Nobody wants to wage war, but sometimes the alternative is worse. Give it a thought.
Bill
Old 03-02-2003, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Politics

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd
What kind of BULL**** statement is that!? I think people in middle America and other places in the world can think just fine for themselves without having the liberally controlled media brainwashing our minds. You're way off base on your statement and it is offensive.
I have to bristle at this. The "liberal media" is one of the greatest myths the Republicans have ever conjured up. In fact, people like Rush Limbaugh (who admits he's in it for the entertainment value), Pat Buchanan and Bill Crystal have admitted that it is a myth. Joe, how do you reconcile the fact that most mediat outlets are owned by huge corporations with your accusation of a liberal bias? Did you see what the media did to Clinton? I've been part of the media. In my last media job, every single one of my superiors was Republican, all the way up to and including the CEO. Do you think Michael Eisner is a liberal? Rupert Murdoch? Joe, think it through before you make that statement again. Just some friendly advice from a fellow Ledgie.

Moving on to the original topic, I hate to say it, but based on the snippet from Burnish.com, which admittedly is not in stereo so there are some quality issues, I would have to say that the harmonies in Thrown Down, which some of you may recalled I panned some time ago, are better than Peacekeeper. I can't imagine what Lindsey was thinking by tracking both voices throughout the verses. It simply doesn't work. In the chorus, they almost have it, but, sorry, folks, the song has lost some of its sheen for me. If Peacekeeper and I Don't Wanna Know are distant cousins in the harmony department, I Don't Wanna Know will never admit the family link. I'm just glad I have the original version.

The more I hear of this upcoming album -- Thrown Down, the Say You Will snippet and now this -- the more I worry.

I will also go on a limb and predict that Peacekeeper will not get much air play.

Last edited by CarneVaca; 03-02-2003 at 12:46 AM..
Old 03-02-2003, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tusk57
I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I believe President Bush is doing a great job under very difficult circumstances. I guess that makes me one of those unsophisticated rednecks that doesn't happen to live in San Francisco. Nobody wants to wage war, but sometimes the alternative is worse. Give it a thought.
Bill
Bush is ruining this country. He has managed to alienate all our important allies with the exception of the UK, he has done nothing to protect us at home despite the laughable creation of the homeland department, and he is chasing ghosts in Iraq for oil. Those of us who are living with the constant threat of terrorism where the terrorists have already struck simply cannot understand the logic. That's because there is no logic. And I won't even go into the methodical destruction of environmental protections and the economy. Bush and his people will go down as one of the worst administrations this great nation has ever had to endure -- a bunch of greedy, power-hungry clowns who managed to turn an unprecedented amount of goodwill from our friends abroad into disgust and distrust.

And Tusk57, with all due respect, there is no such thing as a "vast minority."
Old 03-02-2003, 01:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Bush is ruining this country. He has managed to alienate all our important allies with the exception of the UK, he has done nothing to protect us at home despite the laughable creation of the homeland department, and he is chasing ghosts in Iraq for oil. Those of us who are living with the constant threat of terrorism where the terrorists have already struck simply cannot understand the logic. That's because there is no logic. And I won't even go into the methodical destruction of environmental protections and the economy. Bush and his people will go down as one of the worst administrations this great nation has ever had to endure -- a bunch of greedy, power-hungry clowns who managed to turn an unprecedented amount of goodwill from our friends abroad into disgust and distrust.
Well CarneVaca, what do ya know...we FINALLY agree on something, lol. I just hope voters will see this terrible behavior next election and get the Bush monarchy the Hell out of office. After all, we know Daddy and the crew are running things. But apparently, we need to catch Bush doing something REALLY bad like having an affair in order to get him out of there. What did I say?!?
Old 03-02-2003, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Tusk57 count me in as one of the "vast minority".

Quote:

My dear friend Carne this sounds like a lot of liberal propaganda to me.

Sorry Karen........I triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiied!

Joe

Last edited by jwd; 03-02-2003 at 12:55 PM..
Old 03-02-2003, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd
Tusk57 count me in as one of the "vast minority".

My dear friend Carne this sounds like a lot of liberal propaganda to me.

Sorry Karen........I triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiied!

Joe

Joe, so let me get this straight: You think that people who had to run for their lives on Sept. 11 in Manhattan and are now wondering just why we're going after Iraq instead of protecting ourselves better at home and finding Bin Ladin -- you think those people by having these thoughts are engaging in liberal propaganda?
Old 03-02-2003, 02:18 PM

Oh, and Joe, one more thing while I'm thinking about it: Name the liberal counterpart to Rush Limbaugh and the army of radio talk show conservatives. Can't think of one? I didn't think so.

Your "liberal media" just canned Donahue the day after he was interviewing Rosie O'Donnell about her anti-war sentiments. Sure, the cancelation was mostly about ratings, but what does that tell you? That the media is controlled by liberals?
Old 03-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy Now that I have had...

some time to soak in "Peacekeeper", I just don't see it as a potential single. it's missing something...

As for politics, I remain neutral as ever...Brian "Can't trust ANY politicians" J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 03-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Your "liberal media" just canned Donahue the day after he was interviewing Rosie O'Donnell about her anti-war sentiments. Sure, the cancelation was mostly about ratings, but what does that tell you? That the media is controlled by liberals?
if that was the case, wouldn't you expect them to cancel it a day BEFORE such an interview is about to take place?

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2003, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tommer
if that was the case, wouldn't you expect them to cancel it a day BEFORE such an interview is about to take place?
So, Tommer, am I to understand you too think the media is controlled by liberals?