The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-01-2003, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Is PEACEKEEPER Radio Friendly?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rainman
Now that we know Peacekeeper is the first single off the album, I wonder--is it radio friendly? I don't even know what that means anymore. The stations seem to be more narrowly targeted with their audiences. What gets a lot of airplay?

The song has a catchy tune. (It gets stuck in my head.) The subject matter is certainly timely.

On the other hand, it seems too tame for most rock stations. Yet I'd hate to see it relegated to "soft rock".

I dunno. What do others think about this?
I think the song is definitely radio friendly, and I'm sure Peacekeeper at least will get a lot of air play, because apart from the fact that it's a hell of a catchy tune, look at its NAME....then look at the front page of ANY newspaper! Doesn't matter what the song really means...it's the word "Peacekeeper" that will stay in people's heads. Very good marketing move by WB.

I reckon the songs of the album will be classed as "soft rock/pop". At least that's the impression the songs I've heard so far have given me. They definitely seem to be going down the pop/soft rock route. I will be absolutely enraged if they've "pop-ized" Red Rover, Say Goodbye or Come....

If they're going down the pop/sales route, you'd think they'd have the sense to make a video or two...

I can't help but to think that a certain amount of bullying has gone on by the execs. at WB. I wish that the band would have a bit more confidence in themselves.

What was that comment from Lindsey at the end of the VBO clip....? Something like "if we have enough faith in our craft I think we're gonna blow everybody away".....

Old 03-02-2003, 12:40 AM

The song is radio friendly, especially since it sounds like they took the guts out of it, but the timing is wrong. I would agree with Seteca only if this song were being released as a single a couple of months later. As it looks now, the war with Iraq won't start until late March. By then, the fickle jockeys will have moved on to the newest Avril Lavigne copy cat.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Don't know if this makes any difference, but....... in an interview on the Music Choice show that aired in December, Lindsey called himself "apolitical".
Old 03-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
"Cool to protest the war"? Has it ever been 'cool' to support the war in America?
Speaking as someone whose family is full of veterans of wars that preserved the freedom of both Americans and of democracies around the world, I would say that sometimes it's just about the coolest thing in the world.

Quote:
I'm sorry but suggesting this is a love song is both a stretch of the imagination and a remark about Lindsey's songwriting along the lines that he's only capable of "love/baby" tripe.

This song could not be more blatantly on the topic of war.
You don't have to be sorry. I see your point. I just disagree, given that the song is more than a few months old and couldn't possibly have been written in connection with possible conflict in Iraq. And given that Lindsey has himself said FM isn't interested in politics.

Quote:
look at its NAME....then look at the front page of ANY newspaper! Doesn't matter what the song really means...it's the word "Peacekeeper" that will stay in people's heads. Very good marketing move by WB.
THAT'S my point. No one will care what the song means. It will be made to fit whatever someone wants it to fit. As a songwriter, I wouldn't want my political, religious or personal views ASSUMED because someone "didn't get" my lyrics. Hasn't Stevie had to deal with that in the past?

~Jamie
Old 03-03-2003, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I just disagree, given that the song is more than a few months old and couldn't possibly have been written in connection with possible conflict in Iraq. And given that Lindsey has himself said FM isn't interested in politics.

I don't think anyone is assuming this song was written about the Iraq situation. But I agree with those who have posted saying the song is clearly about war or weapons.

Lindsey claiming he's apolitical doesn't mean he doesn't write songs with a political basis. Listen to "Murrow" and you'll see that's clearly political. Of course, now someone will try to convince us that Murrow is somehow about Stevie.

(Maybe she had some kinky Murrow infatuation and Lindsey was jealous.)
Old 03-03-2003, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rainman
Lindsey claiming he's apolitical doesn't mean he doesn't write songs with a political basis. Listen to "Murrow" and you'll see that's clearly political. Of course, now someone will try to convince us that Murrow is somehow about Stevie.
Rainman, you are making a lot of sense. It's the old "watch what I do, not what I say." Of course Lindsey is political. A couple of years ago he spoke at length during an interview about what he thought was a great injustice involving the Clinton affair. He can say he's apolitical, but he definitely isn't. Certainly Murrow and Peacekeeper indicate he has some politics in him. I would also call your attention to the lyrics in "Shuffle Riff:"

Tarantula passes by your window
No one takes it as a sign
No one cares which way the wind blows
Someone’s got to change your mind

Every bone has been broken
Rumors of awful scenes
Every word, every language has been spoken
Someone’s got to set you free

If you ask me, those are some pretty political sentiments. Unless, you think Tarantula is Stevie. I would also hazard to guess, even though I have not heard the song or seen the lyrics, that "What's the World Coming To" is political.

But let's stick with "Peacekeeper." Lindsey has done a lot of thinking in the past 10 years. I can't help thinking that he was fully aware of the Peacekeeper missile when he wrote this song. The violent imagery certainly suggests that. When he says "only creatures who are on their way ever poison their own wells," if that isn't a statement about the human condition, and our penchant for self-destructiveness, I don't know what is. Keep in mind dogs don't **** where they sleep.

Peacekeeper will take on an anti-war meaning because that is how people will interpret the song. It doesn't matter when it was written. This is a risky move, considering CBS threatened to shut off the microphones of anyone who made anti-war statements during the Grammies show. Kudos to Sheryl Crow for finding a way around that.

War is not cool. Ever. Even when you're right to go to war. It still ain't cool. Don't let anyone ever tell you it is.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:45 PM

Well put, all of it, Carnevaca.

You know, I hadn't examined the lyrics to "Shuffle Riff" yet. Thanks for posting that bit. And I would hazard to say that

Tarantula passes by your window
No one takes it as a sign
No one cares which way the wind blows
Someone’s got to change your mind

could, quite ironically (considering his statement about being apolitical), be about the danger of not being aware of what the higher powers are up to.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
War is not cool. Ever. Even when you're right to go to war. It still ain't cool. Don't let anyone ever tell you it is.
No, it's not. Supporting troops who put their life on the line for you night and day is, however. That's all I'm saying. Just ask Sheryl Crow: she went to eastern Europe and played for our forces when Clinton sent the boys and girls over there.

And I don't think if you're anti-war you're anti-troops. I just think some people have a problem with consistency. Mr. Clinton's campaigns in Eastern Europe weren't dealing with an immediate threat to the U.S., certainly not more of a threat than the countries Mr. Bush has to decide whether or not to deal with.

Quote:
Lindsey claiming he's apolitical doesn't mean he doesn't write songs with a political basis. Listen to "Murrow" and you'll see that's clearly political.
Yeah, you're right... if encouraging people to think for themselves can be viewed as a "political" message. Edward R. Murrow was a pioneering "pure" journalist; but I don't think he would be too happy to see what passes for "journalism" these days (from the Donahues on one end to the Bill O'Reillys on the other).

~Jamie
Old 03-03-2003, 04:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JamieSPC
No, it's not. Supporting troops who put their life on the line for you night and day is, however. That's all I'm saying.

This idea of "supporting the troops" regardless of how you feel about the war gained popularity during the Gulf War. I understand why a lot of people say this, but once you dissect the statement it becomes a bit puzzling. While I don't believe spitting on people in uniform when they came back from Vietnam was proper, I'm not sure "supporting the troops" makes everything OK. After all, the troops are engaging in an activity with which you disagree. I haven't found too many people who say they support what the German troops did even though they disagree with the leadership. I may well find some individuals who are fighting a war to be decent people with whom I could be friends (and I have no doubt many of them are) but I don't see how that's a reason for my supporting what they do in the frontlines.

War may become necessary sometimes. But you should never put yourself in the position that makes the war become necessary.

Yeah, you're right... if encouraging people to think for themselves can be viewed as a "political" message. Edward R. Murrow was a pioneering "pure" journalist; but I don't think he would be too happy to see what passes for "journalism" these days (from the Donahues on one end to the Bill O'Reillys on the other).

I have no qualm what your assessment of Edward R. Murrow. But if these lyrics aren't political, I don't know what is. The very mention of Murrow, who was the first journalist to decry our role in Vietnam, is fraught with meaning.

All the sainted sinners
They pay handsomely
And with the aid, they make the weapons
And they run the prisons
And they sell the justice
'Cause being guilty is just good business
And when we're standing out on the borderline
Ain’t no one there going to stop it now

Murrow’s turnin’ over in his grave

Half-closed eyes
And the country’s dead
Would you feel the ooze as your brain drains out
From the pneumatic drills and sharpened knives?
Blood in the sky
Are you dead or alive?
Oh, the restless people and the bitter green
Well, it flakes this gold, makes the spirit mean

Old 03-03-2003, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Supporting troops who put their life on the line for you night and day is, however.
JamieSPC, I appreciate your sentiment on this point and it's a good one. And if I thought troops in Iraq were actually putting their lives on the line for me and everyone else in the free world day and night, I'd support them 100%. But I just don't see how the battered people of Iraq, or the military "might" of Iraq, are threatening me. And if you use the terrorism angle, blowing the crap out of Iraq and/or beheading Saddam won't slow the spread of terrorism. It will only inflame an already inflamed situation, make us all more vulnerable, and answer the most fervent prayers of Bin Laden and his followers. Because then they'll have no trouble uniting the Arab world against the West.

Now, enough of world affairs, because these threads get sidetracked from the music. I also wanted to comment on this:

Quote:
I agree with you. And I think one of the things Lindsey's saying here is that there's little real journalism in the mainstream. Out of the mainstream, you can find some amazingly insightful and courageous work. But the fact that it's not allowed into the major media, or doesn't have the acceptance to get there, is a very frightening indicator. Anyway, IMO much of this song is about repression of truth for political and/or monetary gain; the repression of truth out of the timeless fear of giving the masses too much information and thus diminishing a power position. And often times of war become the worst times for the repression of truth. Really, this song is extremely political, IMHO.

Again, this is just my view.