The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-06-2022, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Can we have The Dance Deluxe please?!

I’m putting this out into the universe. A really good quality, full album with all the DVD tracks plus the ones from the tour which were added in.

It might be nice if the 1997 versions of BTLH and SYHA were on there too.

I’m thinking it’s surely the next logical step given everything else from the Rumours lineup has been given the “expanded” treatment…
Old 01-06-2022, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Meh. Maybe.
I was actually watching Dont Stop from the Dance a few months ago. I was suspecting that all the band brass stuff was recorded and it was played during the show. I hate pretend live music so this is why I am not thrilled about The Dance. Give us a full Mirage show for the love of God.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
I’m putting this out into the universe. A really good quality, full album with all the DVD tracks plus the ones from the tour which were added in.

It might be nice if the 1997 versions of BTLH and SYHA were on there too.

I’m thinking it’s surely the next logical step given everything else from the Rumours lineup has been given the “expanded” treatment…
I'd like it too since it's the 25 year anniversary. And that Gypsy is incredible.

But I think, in my view, so much of The Dance is focused on the Lindsey and Stevie connection, it wouldn't fly with Stevie to release it given she feels Lindsey is Satan now.

Not sure if she could prevent WB from releasing it though.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:24 PM

Christine's Songbird at the end would be worth it. It's stunning. (re-mastered)

I don't like that version of The Chain. I do love SS and Rhiannon with the piano intros. (Gives both songs some elegance and sophistication.)

ISA is ok. Dreams is zzzzzzzz. Gypsy is zzzzzzz. Over My Head is zzzzzz
Temp One... boring!!

YMLF is solid. Would love to hear the Oh Daddy version as a bonus.

I may be one of the only folks to love Sweet Girl. Beautiful melody on the chorus. I think Stevie really shines for the last time vocally here. After this, it's on and off nasal city for the rest of time. And now currently she's off key a lot. Back then she was the strongest with intonation as far as I was concerned.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Meh. Maybe.
I was actually watching Dont Stop from the Dance a few months ago. I was suspecting that all the band brass stuff was recorded and it was played during the show. I hate pretend live music so this is why I am not thrilled about The Dance. Give us a full Mirage show for the love of God.
This. Full Mirage is what we deserve.

The Dance is funny. When it came out, I didn't realize that nearly the entire thing is overdubs. It's all I can see now. Fake, fake, fake.

That said, Mirage has lots of overdubs, too. But it's not as blatantly obvious.

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 01-06-2022 at 02:38 PM..
Old 01-06-2022, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I may be one of the only folks to love Sweet Girl. Beautiful melody on the chorus. I think Stevie really shines for the last time vocally here. After this, it's on and off nasal city for the rest of time. And now currently she's off key a lot. Back then she was the strongest with intonation as far as I was concerned.
Come down here for a minute!!!
Sweet Girl is my favorite from The Dance.
I mentioned Gypsy earlier because it wasn't on the CD.

It's been said before their best harmonies may be on the song. I love the end where Stevie wails and there's like that fade to the end.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Christine's Songbird at the end would be worth it. It's stunning. (re-mastered)

I don't like that version of The Chain. I do love SS and Rhiannon with the piano intros. (Gives both songs some elegance and sophistication.)

ISA is ok. Dreams is zzzzzzzz. Gypsy is zzzzzzz. Over My Head is zzzzzz
Temp One... boring!!

YMLF is solid. Would love to hear the Oh Daddy version as a bonus.

I really like Sweet Girl!

This version of Songbird is terrific. I have the CD single with it on but nothing to play the CD on thesedays!

The points people have made about the overdubs are well made but I still have so much love for The Dance. It was the time I fell in love with the band and whatever extras are on it, I love the vibe.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi J Brown, Stevie was actually pretty awesome on the '98 Enchanted outing, probably even better than the Dance, and she took more risks bringing on gems like Sleeping Angel and After the Glitter Fades. She knocked those out of the park. From that point on though, I agree it was hit or miss, ie when she was good, she was really, really good and hovered on terrible to parody when she wasn't . Case in point TISL, who would have thought we'd ever hear a high note again and she did it!
Old 01-06-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Hi J Brown, Stevie was actually pretty awesome on the '98 Enchanted outing, probably even better than the Dance, and she took more risks bringing on gems like Sleeping Angel and After the Glitter Fades. She knocked those out of the park. From that point on though, I agree it was hit or miss, ie when she was good, she was really, really good and hovered on terrible to parody when she wasn't . Case in point TISL, who would have thought we'd ever hear a high note again and she did it!
Ok! I'll go watch those youtubes! I had the box set, by the way. I think I did see that tour out here in LA. It's a blur with her tours. I couldn't stop following them around. (with no money!!) haha
Old 01-06-2022, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

The Dance is funny. When it came out, I didn't realize that nearly the entire thing is overdubs. It's all I can see now. Fake, fake, fake.

The Dance had a few highlights:

Silver Springs
Landslide (actually hit #50)
Oh Daddy (sorry)
Everywhere (finally Lindsey on the song and good harmony)
Big Love (I hate this version now but in 1997 it was a Tango gem that we never heard live before)

Just imagine unleashing Isn't It Midnight and digging deep. The show is so safe and studio like that it drives me nuts. It plays as a good album to listen to but its too touched for my liking for something supposed to be LIVE. I had watched the MTV concert countless times before I saw the Dance show live. It was the same concert even with the same babbles to the audience.
Drop Stand Back, Not That Funny, Go Insane, that cheezy Say You Love Me and even Farmers Daughter (treason around here). Give me Sugar Daddy, Crystal, Frozen Love, Think About Me, I Don't Want To Know, Little Lies, Hold Me any other Lindsey song from Tusk. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-06-2022 at 02:51 PM..
Old 01-06-2022, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The Dance had a few highlights:

Silver Springs
Landslide (actually hit #50)
Oh Daddy (sorry)
Everywhere (finally Lindsey on the song and good harmony)
Big Love (I hate this version now but in 1997 it was a Tango gem that we never heard live before)

Just imagine unleashing Isn't It Midnight and digging deep. The show is so safe and studio like that it drives me nuts. It plays as a good album to listen to but its too touched for my liking for something supposed to be LIVE. I had watched the MTV concert countless times before I saw the Dance show live. It was the same concert even with the same babbles to the audience.
Drop Stand Back, Not That Funny, Go Insane, that cheezy Say You Love Me and even Farmers Daughter (treason around here). Give me Sugar Daddy, Crystal, Frozen Love, Think About Me, I Don't Want To Know, Little Lies, Hold Me any other Lindsey song from Tusk. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!
Me likee your list! Crystal, I Don’t Want to Know, Think About Me, and Little Lies would have been great songs for the Dance tour. Not sure why they skipped LL but I suspect Lindsey was the reason. Also, it’s pretty obvious to me he doesn’t like Isn’t It Midnight, as Lindsey has never played it but FM has played it when he’s not touring with them. Can’t be a coincidence. But the Farmer’s Daughter is beautiful and I loved their performance on it.

The Dance was safe, as you say, but they wanted to prove they were back, and in a big way, too, so I can see why they performed most of their hits and didn’t take many risks. Obviously it paid off, because FM made such a resurgence and got voted into the RRHOF shortly after, along with their first #1 album in 15 years.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

Like you and Ulpian, I dig Sweet Girl. The harmonies on the later verses are great—you can really hear Christine on the high end. Someone on YouTube commented that the song itself sounds like an ad for an insurance company. It does! But I still dig it.

On The Dance, the following songs work well, I think:

Big Love
Silver Springs
YMLF
Songbird
Sweet Girl
My Little Demon
BTLH
Go Insane

I also love the torchy piano/vocal to Rhiannon and love Temporary One (sorry haters)

But GYOW, So Afraid, The Chain, Don’t Stop and Tusk sound lackluster on that intimate stage setting. Landslide sounds solid but not exceptional.

Gypsy, SYLM, and Everywhere are pleasant. OMH is a dud.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This talk about Sweet Girl has me wondering if anyone has a clue what the line "I watched you fly across the world in a golden ball" means?
Also wondering why it took me 24 years to ask!
Ricoh
Old 01-06-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
This talk about Sweet Girl has me wondering if anyone has a clue what the line "I watched you fly across the world in a golden ball" means?
Also wondering why it took me 24 years to ask!
Ricoh
It doesn't matter if the ocean is your blanket.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought the line was "I WANT to fly through the world in a golden ball" (at least it is on the Dance)

I really loved hearing Chris's high harmony on the end of Dreams.....