User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Default Nanny 911

I have to ask, did anyone see last night's episode when the 9 yr old girl nearly suffocated the little boy w/ the pillow?! It almost made me nauseous to watch that, she could have killed him, she made him wet his pants!!!! And the camera people were just filming it??! How long would they wait before someone stepped in??? I was really floored by that whole scene.

anyway that is stuck in my head today.....

-Lis
Old 03-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
I have to ask, did anyone see last night's episode when the 9 yr old girl nearly suffocated the little boy w/ the pillow?! It almost made me nauseous to watch that, she could have killed him, she made him wet his pants!!!! And the camera people were just filming it??! How long would they wait before someone stepped in??? I was really floored by that whole scene.

-Lis
No, I didn't see it. That is so horrible. How long was she holding it on him?
Old 03-15-2005, 10:24 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
No, I didn't see it. That is so horrible. How long was she holding it on him?
Long enough so that the kid came up gasping for air and peed his pants. I dunno, I guess it was less than a minute, but still, it felt like forever. she was laying on top of him and had a big pillow smothering him. and then the poor kid went to tell his mom and of course she had no clue how serious the whole thing really was/could have been. Makes you worry about what your kids do when you aren't watching them (although i hope my daughter would never do that to my son!!!)

-Lis
Old 03-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin

Hi Lisa ~

I watched this, as I do most every week...I *love* that there are shows like this now where these nannies are teaching families how to do what we assume everyone already knows how to do...raise children! You don't have to be mean, but you DO have to have authority, respect, and order...I'm a strong believer in that. I was floored by the pillow-thing, too, and I was about to loose it at that mother, who was in total denial, BIG time. And I didn't think the Dad was all that great in the beginning, either...he didn't help her at all!

Did you find yourself almost getting up to take the damn pillow off that poor child's head, and take charge of the situation? I did, lol! I couldn't believe that camera crew just filmed that without saying anything...that *nobody* really even knew about it and how horrible that all could have ended up! Chris kept laughing at me because I was ready to climb into that TV and take charge!

Last edited by CrystalVisions; 03-15-2005 at 12:03 PM..
Old 03-15-2005, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They are showing Nanny 911 over here now but I have never watched it yet. Do you guys get Super Nanny? With Jo Frost?

Pip
Old 03-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
They are showing Nanny 911 over here now but I have never watched it yet. Do you guys get Super Nanny? With Jo Frost?

Pip
Pip, SuperNanny is on here. I just watched Nanny 911 for the first time last night. I was traumatized. Both of those parents had attitude problems.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
Pip, SuperNanny is on here. I just watched Nanny 911 for the first time last night. I was traumatized. Both of those parents had attitude problems.
I'll try to catch it. I know it is on here. I did watch Super Nanny when it was on and I cannot believe how some parents have zero control over their children. The changes by the end of the program were remarkable

Pip
Old 03-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Yes!

I couldn't believe they didn't intervene in that, but I'm sure the camera people are told not to. If he wet himself, he truly WAS breathless and scared out of his mind. He was gasping and could barely talk!! The mom made me mad too with her stubborness, but I knew she'd act that way at first, because the Nanny was threatening her parenting. Thank God she got the family acting different.

I am SOOOOOOOO (infinity) glad I'm an only child. I can't even IMAGINE if my sister/brother tried to suffocate me...my cousin's used to tease me and pick on me, but nothing like that.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I agree, and I don't think people realize ~ even I didn't, to the full extent ~ how the attitude and problems the parents have effect their children. That is totally appearant by the way the children changed, once the behaviour of the parents changed. People don't realize how they make or break a child...in every respect...and the effects are life-long. It scares me to death sometimes...
Old 03-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalVisions
Hi Lisa ~

I watched this, as I do most every week...I *love* that there are shows like this now where these nannies are teaching families how to do what we assume everyone already knows how to do...raise children! You don't have to be mean, but you DO have to have authority, respect, and order...I'm a strong believer in that. I was floored by the pillow-thing, too, and I was about to loose it at that mother, who was in total denial, BIG time. And I didn't think the Dad was all that great in the beginning, either...he didn't help her at all!

Did you find yourself almost getting up to take the damn pillow off that poor child's head, and take charge of the situation? I did, lol! I couldn't believe that camera crew just filmed that without saying anything...that *nobody* really even knew about it and how horrible that all could have ended up! Chris kept laughing at me because I was ready to climb into that TV and take charge!
I actually rewound the Tivo to watch it again, I just could not believe what I was seeing. I kept repeating 'Oh my God!' My heart was in my throat, that was really so upsetting to watch.

I love these shows because they make me feel like maybe I'm not such a bad mom after all LOL, and you do learn something. I love Jo Frost, I think I prefer Supernanny to Nanny 911, although Nanny Deb is quite effective also. She seems to be the one Nanny 911 uses the most.

It amazes me how many people allow their kids to hit them, and also just cannot get their children to bed. typical exchange--

Parent: it's nearly midnight, sweetie, are you ready for bed? can we turn off the TV?
snotty child: NO!
Parent: oh... ok...but mommy is so tired....

GIVE ME A &%$# BREAK!!

And those kids that come out of their room 50 times at night-- if they were my kids, I'd have a lock on that door so quick their head would spin. My daughter went thru a brief phase of that when she was 3 and switched from the crib to a bed-- after trying a few nights of nice loving 'it's bedtime, stay in your bed' blah blah blah I was getting royally frustrated. Finding her down in the playroom at 2 AM, about to put on the TV, was my last straw. I finally put a little hook and eye latch on her door, and after 2 nights of her rattling that thing, she stayed in her bed every night since. maybe that sounds cruel, but I don't think so, nighttime is for sleeping kiddo, and mama don't play.

-Lis (mom to 2 kids who are in bed promptly by 8 every night!)
Old 03-15-2005, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree ~ one of my friends once asked me how to get her daughter to brush her teeth before bed without a struggle. I told her it shouldn't be a struggle, because certain things are not an option, and not negotionable. Such things include brushing your teeth, making your bed, showering/bathing, getting dressed, helping keep the house/their room neat, etc. These are more than chores ~ they are what I call 'life skills.' They grow up and they leave your house, and they need to have skills to survive and go through life properly. These, in my opinion, should be taught from the get-go! They are not an option, and if kids are raised knowing that, it's not even an issue, because it's all they've ever known and that's that. And I believe kids like that boundary; I think it's a secure feeling for them, knowing that the parents are in charge of things and knowing how far they can go. My girls are spoiled rotten ~ but they also know they are not the boss and I try really hard to make sure they will be as prepared as I can prepare them, for when they leave someday to be on their own.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalVisions
I agree ~ one of my friends once asked me how to get her daughter to brush her teeth before bed without a struggle. I told her it shouldn't be a struggle, because certain things are not an option, and not negotionable. Such things include brushing your teeth, making your bed, showering/bathing, getting dressed, helping keep the house/their room neat, etc. These are more than chores ~ they are what I call 'life skills.' They grow up and they leave your house, and they need to have skills to survive and go through life properly. These, in my opinion, should be taught from the get-go! They are not an option, and if kids are raised knowing that, it's not even an issue, because it's all they've ever known and that's that. And I believe kids like that boundary; I think it's a secure feeling for them, knowing that the parents are in charge of things and knowing how far they can go. My girls are spoiled rotten ~ but they also know they are not the boss and I try really hard to make sure they will be as prepared as I can prepare them, for when they leave someday to be on their own.

Great post I have no children - but I was my nephew's nanny for a year and a half

And yes, from the get-go it was established who was in charge in the household (parents) and that certain things are just what one has to do...he's five and a half now - and granted I"m a bit biased...but he's a good kid.

The one time he tried yelling at his parents - he quickly learned what a bad idea that is lol....and from the moment he could talk he was taught please and thank you and excuse me lol....anyway....um before I start completely rambling....I liked your post
Old 03-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
Great post I have no children - but I was my nephew's nanny for a year and a half

And yes, from the get-go it was established who was in charge in the household (parents) and that certain things are just what one has to do...he's five and a half now - and granted I"m a bit biased...but he's a good kid.

The one time he tried yelling at his parents - he quickly learned what a bad idea that is lol....and from the moment he could talk he was taught please and thank you and excuse me lol....anyway....um before I start completely rambling....I liked your post
Thank you, and I'm so glad you brought up how your nephew was taught manners, as that's another area I think kids are not getting exposed to properly...it's a rare thing these days. I always have used 'please, thank you, etc.' with my girls, and I remember one day when my daughter Rhiannon was around three years old, we were in an appliance store, buying a new fridge...Rhiannon walked away from my husband and I to look around (and possibly explore buttons she shouldn't, lol), and I said, 'Rhiannon, come here, please.' and Rhiannon returned to our side. The man behind the counter about died. He said, 'I can't believe how nicely you said that to your daughter, and she responded so well!' I was shocked that he was shocked, as I couldn't see it being done any differently. I've always used manners with my girls, so they have learned them, but also with a tone in my voice where they know me and their Dad are the bosses.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna

Me too. And it is true, kids really need structure. When they push and push and find no limits they do not feel safe.

I thought that it was only seconds that the kid smothered his sister with the pillow for. But almost a minute? That's insane. If anything serious happened to that kid those camera men would have been in deep sh*t.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Exactly

Kids need to be taught skills to make it when they grow up or they are SCREWED. I don't see how kids make it through life without reading, much less not knowing how to do laundry, cook a simple meal, know basic tools like hammers, flathead screwdriver versus phillips head. I mean, sheesh!

Parents need to be an example to their kids, if you clean and keep your house up, they will follow that. Be kind to people and they will to. Although, there are exceptions, but for the most part, it's true. A child's best teacher is their parents. Also, make housecleaning fun for kids, perhaps a race to see who can clean the fastest and does the best job.

I don't even have kids or really want them, but I was raised right.