Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-21-2004, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What would you do?

I'll try to make this as brief as possible.

I finished my Bachelor's degree in May 2002. The job market was pretty crummy, so I stayed another year at my college. I worked on campus and took a few post-baccalaureate classes. I decided to go ahead and pursue a master's degree, so I went to my current University (UK) and here we are. I would like to go on and get my PhD, but I'm getting a little burned out on school. After this December, I think I will be done with courses, provided they don't find any deficiencies in my completed coursework. If they do, I could just either take a night class or do an independent study and be considered a part-time student. I have a TAship this fall that can be renewed for the spring semester. I initially wanted to take my time and finish next May, but that was before I got this hankering to get out of school.

I should also note that even if I am done with coursework in December, I would not be officially done with my degree until May, because I still have to take comprehensive exams. So no matter what I do, my degree won't be in my hand until May 2005. I'm also worried that if I leave school now, that I won't go back.

So...should I:

A) Take my good old time and spend another year in school, since the school is paying for it; then find a job and hopefully return to school in the future
B) Finish classes in December, begin working full-time in the spring and hope to return someday
C) Finish classes in December, work full time in the spring, and begin work on my doctorate part-time while still employed elsewhere
D) Stay in school full-time and after completing my master's immediately begin the doctoral program as a full-time student

Sorry for the length. I just need objective opinions.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I'll try to make this as brief as possible.

I finished my Bachelor's degree in May 2002. The job market was pretty crummy, so I stayed another year at my college. I worked on campus and took a few post-baccalaureate classes. I decided to go ahead and pursue a master's degree, so I went to my current University (UK) and here we are. I would like to go on and get my PhD, but I'm getting a little burned out on school. After this December, I think I will be done with courses, provided they don't find any deficiencies in my completed coursework. If they do, I could just either take a night class or do an independent study and be considered a part-time student. I have a TAship this fall that can be renewed for the spring semester. I initially wanted to take my time and finish next May, but that was before I got this hankering to get out of school.

I should also note that even if I am done with coursework in December, I would not be officially done with my degree until May, because I still have to take comprehensive exams. So no matter what I do, my degree won't be in my hand until May 2005. I'm also worried that if I leave school now, that I won't go back.

So...should I:

A) Take my good old time and spend another year in school, since the school is paying for it; then find a job and hopefully return to school in the future
B) Finish classes in December, begin working full-time in the spring and hope to return someday
C) Finish classes in December, work full time in the spring, and begin work on my doctorate part-time while still employed elsewhere
D) Stay in school full-time and after completing my master's immediately begin the doctoral program as a full-time student

Sorry for the length. I just need objective opinions.
Do you have to study Dec. - May for the comprehensive exams?
Do you like work or school better?
If school was spaced out more (if you go until May) would you have more free time day to day?
Do you have to get your PhD in order to be a success?
My friend just finished her Masters, and they offered to pay for her PhD cause they wanted her to be one of their colleagues at the University. (She is a teacher) Her masters stressed her out pretty well, and she has 3 kids (she is 30) so she decided to take at least a semester off to think about it. But she is already a teacher.
Off the top of my head i'd say "A".
Amber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 07-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Do you have to study Dec. - May for the comprehensive exams?
Do you like work or school better?
If school was spaced out more (if you go until May) would you have more free time day to day?
Do you have to get your PhD in order to be a success?
My friend just finished her Masters, and they offered to pay for her PhD cause they wanted her to be one of their colleagues at the University. (She is a teacher) Her masters stressed her out pretty well, and she has 3 kids (she is 30) so she decided to take at least a semester off to think about it. But she is already a teacher.
Off the top of my head i'd say "A".
Amber
My parents advised choice "A" too.

I love school, but I'm getting r-e-a-l-l-y burned out. Plus, I'm tired of not having any money.

I don't feel like I'd be prepared enough to take my exams in December, so by waiting til the spring semester to take them, I'd finish my degree officially in May.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
My parents advised choice "A" too.

I love school, but I'm getting r-e-a-l-l-y burned out. Plus, I'm tired of not having any money.

I don't feel like I'd be prepared enough to take my exams in December, so by waiting til the spring semester to take them, I'd finish my degree officially in May.

Thanks for the reply.
oh, i didn't know you were really poor being in school. I'd want to work p/t. Is there any way you can keep the school paying you until May, but have hardly any coursework, and have a part time job? Just curious - I can get my full loan allotment at only 6 units, which i'm doing next semester, cause 3 classes a night plus 32 hours work week did not yield the grades i wanted But my money is loans, sounds like yours are grants.
Amber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 07-22-2004 at 12:35 PM..
Old 07-21-2004, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I say get the advanced degree while you're young. The longer you wait, the harder it is to go back.

- Jake
Old 07-22-2004, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
oh, i didn't know you were really poor being in school. I'd want to work p/t. Is there any way you can keep the school paying you until May, but have hardly any coursework, and have a part time job? Just curious - I can get my full loan allotment at only 69 units, which i'm doing next semester, cause 3 classes a night plus 32 hours work week did not yield the grades i wanted But my money is loans, sounds like yours are grants.
Amber
Three classes plus work is a lot to handle....I don't think I could do that.

To get my money, I have to be a full time student. Plus, TAs aren't allowed to hold another job. I know people who do, but if they're caught, they'll lose their position.

I think I'm going to work full-time and go to school part time. I think I'll be happier when I have some more money.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I say get the advanced degree while you're young. The longer you wait, the harder it is to go back.

- Jake
I keep hearing that too, which is motivating me to keep going part time. But if I went full time, it would be over much quicker. It never ends.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I keep hearing that too, which is motivating me to keep going part time. But if I went full time, it would be over much quicker. It never ends.
I'm telling you, this is probably the way to go. If you can afford it & you know the program you want, this is the time. If you wait until later, other financial commitments (and even the luxuries you won't want to sacrifice) & relationships will be more restrictive in all likelihood.

- Jake
Old 07-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You have come this far, and May 2005 isn't really that far off in the grand picture. I would stick it out. I went straight through and got my masters' as well. I was sick of school toward the end, but I'm glad I did it. I'll never have to go back unless I want to pursue a doctoral degree. If you leave in the middle of your masters', I think you'll regret it, and it will be more difficult on you to return. There are very, very few people I know that have left school (thinking that they would go back), that actually went back. You're already there; you won't have to reenroll, etc. Stick with it!

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 07-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Junior Ledgie

Krista,

I totally feel your pain. I'm a GA in the same situation. Plan "A" for me is to marry someone rich and that way I won't have to worry about money while persuing my Ph.D.

Okay, seriously though, I have struggled with this as well, because I really would love to be a college prof someday, but I'm totally burnt out, tired of not having a social life, and sick of not even making enough money to put me above the poverty line. I'm afriad that if I get a full time job, I won't have the time or patience to complete my Ph.D. I've pretty much decided that I'm just going to keep plugging away if I can get an assistanship in a Doctoral program somewhere. I honestly don't see myself being able to get a Ph.D. if I put it off much longer. I just try and focus on the final outcome. You have to admit, college profs have a pretty sweet job. The hours are awesome, the pay is good, good benefits, you have summer's off if you want, and most importantly, you get to immerse yourself in something you love to do. Anyway, that's my philosophy on the whole thing. Not sure if it helped, but it's always nice to know you're not alone.

Good luck and take care!
Emily
Old 07-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Three classes plus work is a lot to handle....I don't think I could do that.

To get my money, I have to be a full time student. Plus, TAs aren't allowed to hold another job. I know people who do, but if they're caught, they'll lose their position.

I think I'm going to work full-time and go to school part time. I think I'll be happier when I have some more money.
Does that mean that you don't get money from the school, and that you have to pay for your part time school yourself? The previous ledgies said "omigod, you'll never go back if you don't finish now!!! You'll be too old!! you won't do it!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! " They're being so adamant, it makes me think they're right! But i don't know how old you are. I'm thirty. I wasn't tripping on it, but my mom was like "you should've never waited this long, you're to old, you're not gonna get a job, etc, downer talk, shut up mom, etc" So i don't know.... Let us know!
AMber

Old 07-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I'm telling you, this is probably the way to go. If you can afford it & you know the program you want, this is the time. If you wait until later, other financial commitments (and even the luxuries you won't want to sacrifice) & relationships will be more restrictive in all likelihood.

- Jake
Very true. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustwoman77
You have come this far, and May 2005 isn't really that far off in the grand picture. I would stick it out. I went straight through and got my masters' as well. I was sick of school toward the end, but I'm glad I did it. I'll never have to go back unless I want to pursue a doctoral degree. If you leave in the middle of your masters', I think you'll regret it, and it will be more difficult on you to return. There are very, very few people I know that have left school (thinking that they would go back), that actually went back. You're already there; you won't have to reenroll, etc. Stick with it!
Yeah, you're probably right. I know I should keep plugging away.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDragon
Krista,

I totally feel your pain. I'm a GA in the same situation. Plan "A" for me is to marry someone rich and that way I won't have to worry about money while persuing my Ph.D.

Okay, seriously though, I have struggled with this as well, because I really would love to be a college prof someday, but I'm totally burnt out, tired of not having a social life, and sick of not even making enough money to put me above the poverty line. I'm afriad that if I get a full time job, I won't have the time or patience to complete my Ph.D. I've pretty much decided that I'm just going to keep plugging away if I can get an assistanship in a Doctoral program somewhere. I honestly don't see myself being able to get a Ph.D. if I put it off much longer. I just try and focus on the final outcome. You have to admit, college profs have a pretty sweet job. The hours are awesome, the pay is good, good benefits, you have summer's off if you want, and most importantly, you get to immerse yourself in something you love to do. Anyway, that's my philosophy on the whole thing. Not sure if it helped, but it's always nice to know you're not alone.

Good luck and take care!
Emily
Thanks, Emily. It is always nice to hear from someone who's been there. What are you studying? I'm getting my master's in communication, but I'd like to get my doctorate in education. My ultimate goal would be higher education administration. Good luck to you as well.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Does that mean that you don't get money from the school, and that you have to pay for your part time school yourself? The previous ledgies said "omigod, you'll never go back if you don't finish now!!! You'll be too old!! you won't do it!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! " They're being so adamant, it makes me think they're right! But i don't know how old you are. I'm thirty. I wasn't tripping on it, but my mom was like "you should've never waited this long, you're to old, you're not gonna get a job, etc, downer talk, shut up mom, etc" So i don't know.... Let us know!
AMber
As a part-time student, I would have to pay for the schooling myself. Of course, as soon as I switch my residency to KY, I will get in-state tuition, which is much better.

I think going part-time is a good option for me, though. I'm just too burned out, I think, to face at least four more years of school full-time.

Thanks for all your input. Your mom sounds like my mom, always offering unwanted advice. Keep us posted on your experience, too, okay?