User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
She isn't the most brilliant in the lyrics department by any stretch (and she would admit to this herself), but IMO the beauty in her lyrics lies in its simplicity. Combine that with her vocals which can take even the most pedestrian of words and make it mean something deep and you've got magic.
A very astute and accurate assessment. Her voice is so plaintively smooth and smokey, she really does give a soul to the most simple and insipid lyric lines/themes. But there is integrity in the direct simplicity.

I was rather surprised by the songs she wrote for In The Meantime. Those songs displayed an evolved sophistication in the lyrics. There was more meat in them, as compared to very thin treatments (ex. Honey Hi).
Old 12-24-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
A very astute and accurate assessment. Her voice is so plaintively smooth and smokey, she really does give a soul to the most simple and insipid lyric lines/themes. But there is integrity in the direct simplicity.

I was rather surprised by the songs she wrote for In The Meantime. Those songs displayed an evolved sophistication in the lyrics. There was more meat in them, as compared to very thin treatments (ex. Honey Hi).
I agree. It's like she had more time to write and less pressure. Lindsey's FM lyrics are the same way sometimes. Can't go Back, for example.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I agree. It's like she had more time to write and less pressure.
I disagree. I thought Dan's songs were the ones that contained lyrical sophistication. Also, I would say Honey Hi is not a good exemplar. Love the song, but for the musical construction. The lyrics were meant to be sparse and simplistic, in my mind, similar to Don't Worry Be Happy.

Michele
Old 12-24-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I disagree. I thought Dan's songs were the ones that contained lyrical sophistication. Also, I would say Honey Hi is not a good exemplar. Love the song, but for the musical construction. The lyrics were meant to be sparse and simplistic, in my mind, similar to Don't Worry Be Happy.

Michele
To me, songs on ITM have more story. Like Forgiveness or Sweet Revenge. I guess because she is running all the lyrics over the same subject but with the progression of a relationship cycle. Seems more coherent to me than ever before.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Honey Hi is one of my favourite FM songs. It really grew on me until I loved it. Very simple with the most beautiful harmonies.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
Honey Hi is one of my favourite FM songs. It really grew on me until I loved it. Very simple with the most beautiful harmonies.
The vocal arrangement for Honey Hi is amazing!!

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 12-24-2013 at 06:46 PM..
Old 12-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
The vocal arrangement for Honey Hi is amazing!!
It really is! Heavenly harmonies. I remember playing it when I was demonstrating my new lap-top speakers to my parents, it sounded gorgeous and they loved it.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
It really is! Heavenly harmonies. I remember playing it when I was demonstrating my new lap-top speakers to my parents, it sounded gorgeous and they loved it.
I love the nuances like... "Don't... Don't take the love light away... "
Old 12-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

According to the album credits, the only song on 'In the Meantime' that Christine wrote by herself is "You Are." All the others were co-written by Christine and other writers, or they were written by Dan Perfect alone.

Therefore, it's hard to tell what lyrics Chris actually wrote, and which ones were written by her co-writers. There are some lyrics on that album that don't seem very "Christine like." Those could be the product of her co-writers, or they could be the result, as was suggested earlier in this thread, of Christine having some time to write, and a lack of pressure to come up with something.

When I see a song is co-written by two or more writers, I am always curious to know who came up with what elements of the song. Sometimes one writer does the lyrics and the other does the music. I wonder if this may have been the case with any of the 'In the Meantime' songs. Co-writer writes the lyrics, Christine writes the music. I don't have an opinion on this, I'm just speculating.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post

When I see a song is co-written by two or more writers, I am always curious to know who came up with what elements of the song. Sometimes one writer does the lyrics and the other does the music. I wonder if this may have been the case with any of the 'In the Meantime' songs. Co-writer writes the lyrics, Christine writes the music. I don't have an opinion on this, I'm just speculating.
I know what you mean. Christine explained that she and Lindsey did this for TITN. That she did the lyrics to one song and he did the music and it was vice versa on another song.

Michele
Old 12-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love these from "Mystified":

The light that shines around you
It blinds my eyes
There's a magic surrounds you
Tell me where does your secret lie

The whole song to me is beautiful and, if I ignore the "pretty darling" lyric, just about perfect.

Last edited by mitzo; 12-30-2013 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-2014, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As a fan of Christine I would say I'm more a fan of her melodies than lyrics so this is a difficult decision for me... but I would have to say the "I'm The One" song. For me, I see it being VERY underrated. It's so catchy and written very well. The message that it sends out is tremendously accurate! So my favourite lyrics is probably

"I'm not your doctor, baby
I'm not your psychiatrist"

I also love the "Oh Daddy" lyrics. It's probably one of my least favourite songs but I do like the lyrics.

One of my top fav Christine songs is also "Isn't It Midnight" I love the dark eery feeling to it and how well the lyrics go with the melody. I pretty much love all the lyrics in it as well, especially when she sings this

"You had a knack,
a knack of making women know."
Old 01-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

On and on it will always be
Rhythm rhyme and harmony
Old 01-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I'll tell you, for some reason, Christine's simpler lyrics, combined with her voice, are the ones that get to me. I sing Over My Head and SYLM to myself on an almost daily basis. And for SYLM I think my favorite line is very bare, "you woo me until the sun comes up."

I don't know ... I think it's just lovely to imagine someone knowing they're being lied to and not saying anything, just commenting on what's going on on the surface, but keeping the betrayal inside.

The lyric is his lie and the song title is her hope or request that he say it and mean it. Anyway, I love that.

Dan's Northern Star has some great lyrics throughout. As one cohesive thing it can't be beat, but these lines stand out: I'm falling down inside myself.

Casting stone. Throwing bones.

Michele
I never realized Say You Love Me is about being cheated on! I'm an idiot!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Neither had I until now...
Very precise observations there