Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default STYLIST article on Christine Doc

A new article about Christine’s BBC doc posted today:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sty...ion/339520/amp

There are some minor factual errors, a few points of grammar, and no mention of Bob Welch—or barely Lindsey for that matter. Other than this, at least Christine is getting some acknowledgement.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

I love Christine and missed her A LOT when she left the band, and was so happy when she came back. But... the phrase "the group’s most successful singer-songwriter" got my attention. Really? In terms of what, I immediately thought. Well, if it's about quantity of FM singles, it looks like yes, she was the most succesful.

But that may be relative. What defines success? I'm a fan of statistics and KPIs but does that apply in this case? One sportsman can play many good games, and another can play very few extraordinary games. Who's the best? And who will be the most remembered? And, can we join singer and songwriter to use it as an absolute attribute when measuring its success?
Old 12-29-2019, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m assuming the writer defines songwriting success by the number of singles (in relation to to the other two songwriters) and the often high chart position of those singles (again, in relation to the other two). Obviously, this is a very narrow definition of success. I mean, when I hear the haunting timeless beauty of Green’s “Before the Beginning” or the eerie yet brilliant mood music that is “Hypnotized,” I consider success in different terms. And even in the charted hits, like the iconic angry kiss-off of “Go Your Own Way,” or the truly mystical “Rhiannon,” I consider success in different terms and wonder if any of Christine’s songs ever strived for THAT kind of impact. (The answer, I believe, is in their own way, some have: “Oh Daddy” and “Songbird” are as impactful and archetypal as the previous two songs mentioned, albeit in their quiet, mournful modes.) But undoubtedly, in terms of chart-scoring hits, in terms of pop radio AirPlay, and in terms of boosting album sales, Christine’s songs are clearly the most consistent and successful.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still think Christine’s songs from the Buck/McVie album would have had airplay IF the album was titled Fleetwood Mac as it should have been.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine is FMs most successful songwriter - she wrote the most hits that charted higher than the other two, and she wrote their most popular hit Don’t Stop.

Landslide and GYOW are getting pretty close to Don’t Stop, but I’d say Christines songs are still in the lead.

Rhiannon live made SN and FM stars back in the mid 70s but most people don’t know that song now.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-29-2019, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I still think Christine’s songs from the Buck/McVie album would have had airplay IF the album was titled Fleetwood Mac as it should have been.
Yup. The 2 co-writes - Red Sun managed to go viral worldwide despite everything. Too Far Gone was a huge hit live even though most audience never heard it before.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-29-2019, 04:18 PM

Thank you for posting, Tony. I enjoyed the article.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Yup. The 2 co-writes - Red Sun managed to go viral worldwide despite everything. Too Far Gone was a huge hit live even though most audience never heard it before.

Yes...it could have been a major “hit” album under the Fleetwood Mac name.....but........no......
Old 12-29-2019, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Christine is FMs most successful songwriter - she wrote the most hits that charted higher than the other two, and she wrote their most popular hit Don’t Stop.

Landslide and GYOW are getting pretty close to Don’t Stop, but I’d say Christines songs are still in the lead.

Rhiannon live made SN and FM stars back in the mid 70s but most people don’t know that song now.
Didn't Dreams peak at No.1 on the Billboard singles chart, while Don't Stop peaked at 3?

About Rhiannon I agree. At least here, in Peru, it is not played at the 70s&80s rock&pop radios. It's Dreams, Don't Stop, Everywhere, Little Lies, Gypsy and Big Love they usually play.

Last edited by Villavic; 12-29-2019 at 10:22 PM..
Old 12-30-2019, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Didn't Dreams peak at No.1 on the Billboard singles chart, while Don't Stop peaked at 3?

About Rhiannon I agree. At least here, in Peru, it is not played at the 70s&80s rock&pop radios.
i'm talking about 2 separate things - number of hits that charted high - among first 5 first 10 and first 20 on Billboard singles charts and in other countries; and then separately about the songs that EVERYBODY knows now. not FM fans, but general masses, the old and the young. after Clinton resurrected Don't Stop it never went away and stayed huge through now.

Landslide never charted nor was FM single but Dixie Chicks version did, they brought it back and it grew to a cult status now. GYOW charted high, was used in one of the first guitar video games and retained FM cult status at both their shows and as various covers.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
i'm talking about 2 separate things - number of hits that charted high - among first 5 first 10 and first 20 on Billboard singles charts and in other countries; and then separately about the songs that EVERYBODY knows now. not FM fans, but general masses, the old and the young. after Clinton resurrected Don't Stop it never went away and stayed huge through now.

Landslide never charted nor was FM single but Dixie Chicks version did, they brought it back and it grew to a cult status now. GYOW charted high, was used in one of the first guitar video games and retained FM cult status at both their shows and as various covers.
I agree with this. This is pretty much how I read into it.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Speaking of success. One thing that irks me and I never could understand is considering the pull the Mac has always had at concerts, why Christine and Lindsey never really had successful solo tours (especially Christine). If you write the Mac's biggest hits and have a current hit solo album, Christine could only sell a few hundred tickets at several stops during her 1984 solo tour. Lindsey's Out of the Cradle was considered by critics as one of the best albums ever released and Lindsey could not go on the road to promote it and he was hoping to do more than just a few shows. Even with Buck/Vie, they did have some small theater success but mostly played to half full small theaters. This is why I say that most Mac concert goers are really Stevie Nicks fans.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Speaking of success. One thing that irks me and I never could understand is considering the pull the Mac has always had at concerts, why Christine and Lindsey never really had successful solo tours (especially Christine).
That's a mystery to me, too. I can only say that talking about the Fleetwood Mac band, it applies the phrase "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts". But can't explain it.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:58 AM

I think for Christine: She didn't really want a solo career. She didn't care to be a front man. She loved having her amazing success and talent from stage right of Fleetwood Mac.

I feel that if she really poured the energy that Stevie put into her solo career, she (Christine) would had much more success. She is a very talented and marketable force.

I believe for Lindsey: His music isn't for the masses. I honestly think sometimes his music was above the top 40 mass hit machine. Law And Order is an amazing album for me personally. However, I don't think people that love Rumours are going to run out and listen to Law and Order 100 million times.

I sure wished he would have had a bit more success. But, his visions aren't/weren't always what the masses want. Sometimes it's too stripped down, and then sometimes too sophisticated. The risk of breaking formula.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I think for Christine: She didn't really want a solo career. She didn't care to be a front man. She loved having her amazing success and talent from stage right of Fleetwood Mac.

I feel that if she really poured the energy that Stevie put into her solo career, she (Christine) would had much more success. She is a very talented and marketable force.

I believe for Lindsey: His music isn't for the masses. I honestly think sometimes his music was above the top 40 mass hit machine. Law And Order is an amazing album for me personally. However, I don't think people that love Rumours are going to run out and listen to Law and Order 100 million times.

I sure wished he would have had a bit more success. But, his visions aren't/weren't always what the masses want. Sometimes it's too stripped down, and then sometimes too sophisticated. The risk of breaking formula.
I smell what you are cooking but Out of the Cradle could have had 3 top ten hits easily. Very radio friendly mainstream pop