Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Lindsey Buckingham trending worldwide

...... for about 2 hours! now finally Fleetwood Mac started trending.

most tweets are in this vein:

@K00L_DUDE
I feared Lindsey Buckingham had died but I've since learnt it's his former band which has suffered that unfortunate fate. No biggie.��

PS love that RS had the straightforward headline. no fuss!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://variety.com/2018/music/news/w...in-1202748485/

Was Lindsey Buckingham Fired From Fleetwood Mac or Not? A Source Weighs In …
By Jem Aswad @jemaswad Jem Aswad
Jem Aswad
Senior Music Editor
@jemaswad

Was Lindsey Buckingham Fired From Fleetwood Mac or Not? A Source Weighs In …

Fleetwood Mac to Tour With Neil Finn, Mike Campbell as Lindsey Buckingham’s Replacements (EXCLUSIVE)

Lindsey Buckingham’s latest departure from Fleetwood Mac certainly upheld the group’s longstanding penchant for drama.

No sooner had Variety confirmed that he’d left the band than word came, literally minutes later, that they’d already replaced him — with longtime Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell and Crowded House frontman Neil Finn. The confirmation sealed several days of speculation after Billy Burnette — one of two guitarists hired to replace Buckingham last time he left the band 31 years ago — wrote in a hastily deleted tweet on April 4: “Breaking news: Lindsey Buckingham is out but I’m not in. A little pissed off but I’ll get over it.”

While sources told both Variety and Rolling Stone that Buckingham was fired, a source close to the situation says it’s a matter of semantics that requires some backstory.

ADVERTISING

Even by Fleetwood Mac standards — this was a group in which every member got divorced (legally or otherwise), four of them from each other, at the height of their popularity in the 1970s — the past few months have been dramatic. Last summer, the group coheadlined with the Eagles the “Classic West” and “Classic East” festivals in Los Angeles and New York, respectively. The dates landed smack in the middle of a tour by Buckingham and Mac keyboardist/singer Christine McVie — who were supporting a new album they’d made together after reports that Mac singer Stevie Nicks no longer wanted to make albums with the band.

RELATED
Fleetwood Mac to Tour With Neil Finn, Mike Campbell as Lindsey Buckingham's Replacements (EXCLUSIVE)
Lindsey Buckingham Fired by Fleetwood Mac
Asked by the Los Angeles Times about the nostalgic nature of the “Classic” concerts, Buckingham said, “It doesn’t necessarily speak of the aspiration to present anything in the way that Fleetwood Mac would want to present it on its own terms. I was going to put it less diplomatically, but I stopped myself,” he said.

“Do the undiplomatic version,” McVie said. “What were you going to say?”

“I was going to say, ‘Just close your eyes and take the money,'” Buckingham answered.

In January, the band was honored as MusiCares Person of the Year with a concert at New York’s Radio City Music Hall during Grammy Week. Former President Bill Clinton inducted the group (pictured above) and a number of acts covered their songs, including Alison Krauss, Lorde, Miley Cyrus, Little Big Town, Imagine Dragons, Zac Brown Band, Keith Urban, Jared Leto and Harry Styles, who not only introduced the band but joined them for “The Chain.” The group then played a short set to close out the night — which apparently was Buckingham’s last performance with them for the time being.

Regardless of his comments, Buckingham was enthusiastic onstage during last summer’s concerts and at the MusiCares event.

So was he fired or did he quit, or, as is often the case with relationships that stretch back nearly 50 years, was it both and neither?

A source close to the situation tells Variety that although the group was on a high note after the MusiCares event, and had announced last spring that it planned to tour this year, Buckingham was reluctant because he wanted to focus on solo material. The other four bandmembers — Nicks, McVie, bassist John McVie and drummer Mick Fleetwood — were eager and ready to tour, and after failing to obtain a commitment from Buckingham, told him they were proceeding with plans to tour without him. Suggestions that the group make an announcement along those lines were not acted upon.

Does that mean he was fired, which is defined by Merriam-Webster as being “dismissed from a job”? Well, yes and no.

The parting is at least outwardly amicable, with the group wishing Buckingham “all the best” in its announcement. Yet a Fleetwood Mac tour is not a financial proposition to be considered lightly. The group’s 2014-2015 tour, which sprawled over 13 months and 120 dates, grossed nearly $200 million, according to Pollstar. And while that represented the classic lineup’s first tour together since 1997, the two-day Classic East and West shows, which saw the group headlining with the Eagles, grossed $16 million and $17 million respectively, according to Pollstar.

Clearly, given the speed of today’s announcement and the fact that Burnette announced five days ago that he was not part of the latest incarnation of the band, things were nearly in place for today’s announcement.

And it all adds another chapter to a five-decade-long dance that, after drugs, divorce, disillusion and lots of other dramatic words beginning with “d,” continues to unfold.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-09-2018, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Lindsey is the second person ever to be fired from Fleetwood Mac.
Its wrong
Its insulting
Its a double standard
It makes no sense
Old 04-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Its wrong
Its insulting
Its a double standard
It makes no sense
I agree 100%. I never thought the speculation was true. I just hate this. I hate it. I may not go to the next tour. it seems gross. Now they really seem like a nostalgia act. Embarrassing.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/linds...=sharebutton-b

Lindsey Buckingham Is Going His Own Way, Mostly Because Fleetwood Mac Fired Him

By
Devon Ivie
@devonsaysrelax

Lindsey Buckingham. Photo: Steven Ferdman/Getty Images
We wish we could say this is secondhand news, but … alas. Variety confirmed Lindsey Buckingham departed Fleetwood Mac ahead of the band’s upcoming international tour, leaving the lineup of Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine McVie, and Stevie Nicks to perform without his virtuoso guitar and vocal skills. An hour after the original news broke, Rolling Stone additionally confirmed that Buckingham was fired “after a disagreement” about the tour, although the nature of the disagreement hasn’t been disclosed. Buckingham hasn’t commented on the firing, with the band only issuing a brief statement of confirmation: “Lindsey Buckingham will not be performing with the band on this tour. The band wishes Lindsey all the best … Fleetwood Mac has always been a creative evolution. We look forward to honoring that spirit on this upcoming tour.” The Heartbreakers’ Mike Campbell and Crowded House’s Neil Finn — the epitome of talent! — will be subbing in for Buckingham during the tour, but if you need to sadly listen to Rumours a few times at your cubicle for the rest of the day, we totally understand. In fact, we encourage it.

This post has been updated to reflect the additional news of Buckingham’s firing.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Its wrong
Its insulting
Its a double standard
It makes no sense
Assuming he was fired, he was the fourth- Kirwan, Walker and Weston all got the chop, too. I don't think we can count Brunning's departure and the "Time" disbandment as firings, as such.

The rest of your comment would be correct, though.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Count von Groovy
‏@extemporangle

#FleetwoodMac fired Lindsey Buckingham, presumably due to his ego(?), and replaced him with two musicians, presumably because his ego is actually backed up by the fact he is so talented they need two musicians to replace him. TWICE.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 04-09-2018, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was very surprised to see all the news... I thought at first that it was a belated April Fools joke or another meme that went viral.

I know that a few of these articles say Lindsey was fired but this makes no sense to me. The only way I can imagine Lindsey leaving is if Lindsey left of his own accord like he did before. Unless he was physically assaulting band members I do not see anyone even thinking they had the authority to fire him.

There is no financial incentive to want Lindsey gone - in fact, the opposite is true, with the talent and energy he brings to the stage - and it seems like everyone was on good terms after Buckingham McVie... Excepting Stevie, of course, but according to her, she and Lindsey don't really speak offstage so I don't know why she'd have a problem touring with him.

As for Lindsey... he always brings the energy to a Fleetwood Mac tour and all of the band members seemed like they were on the same page as far as playing different material so I don't see how he could have felt creatively stifled... Unless he wanted another "cash grab" tour and the others didn't? But that seems so unlikely. The only thing that makes sense is Lindsey wanted something else entirely and left of his own volition.

I don't get this at all.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 04-09-2018, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey wanted to put out new music before the tour and he was out voted. I'm sure thats why he held up his solo album in hopes to turn it into a MAC album. I'm a huge Neil Fiinn/Crowded House and Mike Campbell fan but I'm not cool with this.This should not be how The Dance of Fleetwood Mac ends 50 + years.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2018/...am-out/181730/

Fleetwood Mac breaks the chain, boots out Lindsey Buckingham

By The Associated Press Apr 9, 2018, 4:45 pm

From L-R, Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac perform during the band’s “On With The Show” tour at the Pepsi Center April 1, 2015, in Denver. (Daniel Petty, The Denver Post)

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Fleetwood Mac has told Lindsey Buckingham to go his own way.

The band said in a statement Monday that Buckingham is out for its upcoming tour.

The 68-year-old Buckingham, who joined the band with then-girlfriend Stevie Nicks in 1974, has been its guitarist, frequent frontman and sometime songwriter for most of the years since. He wrote and sang hits including “Go Your Own Way” and “Tusk.”

A long statement about the tour mentions Buckingham only briefly, saying he won’t be performing with the group, but they wish him the best.
Buckingham left the band once before, from 1987 to 1996.

He’ll be jointly replaced by Neil Finn of Crowded House and Mike Campbell of Tom Petty’s Heartbreakers. They’ll join longtime members Nicks, Christine McVie, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 04-09-2018, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

while official statement is in the vein of "part ways" seems that all the upset fan questions to Rolling Stone and others over the last few days have actually pushed RS to make it clear it was firing.

oh the power of social media! if only LB's management would know how to use it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...ertainmentNews

Go your own way: Fleetwood Mac will not tour with Lindsey Buckingham
Reuters Staff

2 MIN READ

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Fleetwood Mac announced a tour on Monday but without guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, one of the rock group’s most influential and popular members.

FILE PHOTO: Honorees Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood, and Lindsey Buckingham of the group Fleetwood Mac perform during the 2018 MusiCares Person of the Year show honoring Fleetwood Mac at Radio City Music Hall in Manhattan, New York, U.S., January 26, 2018. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly/File Photo
“Lindsey Buckingham will not be performing with the band on this tour,” the band said in a statement. “The band wishes Lindsey all the best.”

FILE PHOTO: Members of the rock band Fleetwood Mac, (L-R) bassist John McVie, keyboard player and vocalist Christine McVie, vocalist Stevie Nicks, guitarist and vocalist Lindsey Buckingham and drummer and vocalist Mick Fleetwood, stand together on stage after performing a concert on NBC's 'Today' show in New York, NY, U.S., October 9, 2014. REUTERS/Mike Segar/File Photo
Fleetwood Mac publicist Kristen Foster declined to give any reasons for Buckingham’s absence. Rolling Stone magazine reported, without citing its source, that the band let Buckingham go after a disagreement over the upcoming tour.

Singers Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie will both be on the planned autumn tour for which no dates were announced.

Buckingham, 68, joined Fleetwood Mac in 1974, but in 1987 left the group, which has been plagued by behind-the-scenes romantic and creative tensions among its members and a shifting lineup over the years.

“Fleetwood Mac is well known for being a dysfunctional family ... and it was certainly much of the fuel for our material,” Buckingham said in January at the MusicCares ceremony in New York honoring the band.

Honorees Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham perform during the 2018 MusiCares Person of the Year show honoring Fleetwood Mac at Radio City Music Hall in Manhattan, New York, U.S., January 26, 2018. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly
Fleetwood Mac was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998. Their biggest hits include “Go Your Own Way,” “Little Lies” and “Don’t Stop,” which was used as President Bill Clinton’s theme song for his successful 1992 White House bid.

The group, which first formed in 1967, most recently reunited in 2014 to embark on a world tour. The band said on Monday it had added former Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell and Crowded House guitarist and singer Neil Finn to the 2018 tour.

Buckingham toured last year with McVie in support of an album they had recorded together as a duo.

Reporting by Eric Kelsey; Editing by Chris Reese

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

Stevie gets her own way - again.

I’m looking forward to Lindsey’s solo shows but immensely sad that 2015 might have been the end of this band. I’ll treasure that last show forever. Saddened by this announcement.

Hey 1987, did you call??