The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Birmingham "Buckingham Nicks" review... Incredible show!

I was a tike (all of three years old) the last time Buckingham Nicks came to Birmingham. We all know the story… Mick Fleetwood calls up two California kids, Lindsey Buckingham and "Stevi" Nicks to join his band, but before they do, they get booked for a show in Birmingham, Alabama. Even they are completely mystified to show up and find 5,000 people waiting for Buckingham Nicks.

Last night, they were back. And make no mistake. This was a Buckingham Nicks show, and the crowd packed to the rafters in the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center Arena knew it. And so did the band. It occured to me that it's likely been twenty years or more since Lindsey and Stevie shared a stage here, and they were well aware of the significance. More on that later.

I was in the tenth row, right under the giant curved speaker cluster, so even though I can see just fine to type this review I can’t actually hear the keys as I hunt and peck away. Oh well. Totally worth it.

So let’s take this song-by-song.

The Chain – Cool as always. When the crickets start, I holler "Here we go!" and people stared at me like I was an idiot. Do they not know about the crickets??? THE CRICKETS, PEOPLE!

Dreams – Stevie sings this one beautifully, hitting the high notes and allaying my fears that she may be losing her voice this far into the tour, like she did in Atlanta on the TISL tour. She sounds wonderful.

Peacekeeper – This song never did it for me on Leno and the Today Show, and they seemed to take it slower than the SYW album version live, but it’s my wife’s favorite (she opted, in fact, for the studded "Peacekeeper" t-shirt from the merchandise table). I like it okay, and the harmonies are very lush with Mindy and Sharon singing along. Lindsey has an interesting recitation before the song that adds some mystery and ambiguity to its meaning, something like: "When love is gone, there is always justice. When justice is gone, there is always force. This is Peackeeper." Weird, huh? Who said this was an anti-war song?

Eyes of the World – Unspeakably cool. Stevie comes alive here, really for the first time. Her background vocal on the "Eyes, eyes, eyes" chorus is a hoot to watch… she’s really into it in a big way, singing her "ahhhhs" and clapping her tambourine after each one, looking all wild-eyed.

Say You Will – Stevie introduces this one as the title cut from the album. Well, yeah! She sounds great on it, and Lindsey hits the high harmonies nicely.

Never Going Back Again – Or, the country moment of the night. I remember something Rolling Stone wrote in its SYW review about Fleetwood Mac’s best songs being "countrified lopes" … well, I guess this is one of those now. It’s marvelous, and so cool to hear Stevie singing her vocal.

Rhiannon – I’m yet to go to a Stevie or FM show where she DIDN’T do this song, and of course that’s how it should be. But this "Rhiannon" is different. There is something a little more intense about it tonight, and Stevie sings the crap out of it.

Come – The highlight of the evening. As others have reported, many take a seat for the first time during this song, but the knowing ones stand and wait for the onslaught. Nervous giggles near the front few rows when Lindsey points and someone and says, "Think of me, sweet darlin’, every time you don’t come," and he’s slurring the ends of the phrases and making it sound all ominous. The choruses are fiery, but the guitar solo at the end brings the entire crowd to their feet, rubbernecking, watching the man absolutely destroy his guitar. One broken string. Two broken strings. He paws at it like an animal. Amazing.

Gypsy – A nice, cool break after "Come." Stevie avoids some of the high notes in this one, but that’s okay, she’s just saving up. Cool shots from the video on the screens in the back. Was that a glimpse of Christine in that video?

Big Love – Lindsey gets his time on the big screen, and I’m a little disappointed that Stevie doesn’t come out and do her harmony part like on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame show. It’s still amazing to see him do this, and his guitar work is flawless. No broken strings, either!

Landslide – The moment I’ll remember. Stevie and Lindsey both come to the mic. Stevie says, "We have to say this. We can’t stand on this stage without acknowledging what happened here so long ago." And she tells the story about Buckingham Nicks coming to Birmingham in 1975. People are screaming, some are crying a little, and I’m glowing because even though I was three, this is my town and it makes me feel good. So Stevie finishes her story, Lindsey bows and says thank you to the crowd, and Stevie says, "We want to dedicate Landslide to Y’ALL (nice Alabama touch, Stevie) because this place is so special to us." And then she sings her transcendent song for the whole city of Birmingham. Thanks, Stevie.

Say Goodbye – Stevie turns her mic towards Lindsey and sings this right at him. He looks over at her occasionally. The song is beautiful. Brett Tuggle has some nice vocal parts on this. Warm ovation from the crowd.

What's the World Coming To – I like the live version, and it’s fun to see Mick stage front, next to Lindsey on his little mini drum set.

Beautiful Child – This really is gorgeous. Everyone sits as Stevie introduced it, then swayed to the song as she sings. Lighters come out. It is perfect.

Gold Dust Woman – Without a doubt the coolest-staged set of the night. Stevie sings it, does the scream and everything, and the crowd literally goes wild (I guess it’s a cliché because it’s true).

I'm So Afraid – Utter respect for Lindsey from the crowd. Everyone stands for this, which I thought was cool. As usual, he kills the guitar solo at the end and gets a huge standing ovation.

Silver Springs – This is funny because Stevie seems surprised when she sang "You could be my Silver Spring" and the crowd sings along, LOUDLY. Hey, Stevie, this is your town! We know your stuff! The end is intense, not as much as "The Dance" version, but that’s okay.

Tusk – Love the shots of the USC trumpet section on the screens in the back. For some reason this is the first time of the night I actually miss Christine. I like the accordian, and she always had so much fun on this song. Oh well. Lindsey does his little act of tooling around the stage and attacking his bandmates. He grabs Stevie around the neck, hugging and tugging, and she looks genuinely annoyed. It’s a little funny.

Stand Back – I’ve always kinda been against Stevie doing a solo song on a band tour. No longer. She absolutely tears this song up. The best live performance I’ve ever seen of it, and what a party in the crowd. Grab your partner and dance. This is as good as it gets.

Go Your Own Way – The first time crowd noise has ever been physically painful, and louder than the music. The roar is absolutely ANIMAL when Lindsey says, "Loving you…"

World Turning – Mick’s drum solo gets the crowd so riled it’s once again almost hard to hear the music. And keep in mind, I’m on the tenth row. Unbelievable.

Don't Stop – Stevie singing Christine’s parts. Cool. Once again, a party in the crowd.

Goodbye Baby – Stevie gets an ovation after every verse and chorus. The crowd loves this song. The choruses are beautiful and incredibly lush, much more so even than the recording on SYW. A great closer, and Stevie teared up a little at the end.

Stevie takes the mic again for her goodbye, and reminds Birmingham, "Remember, you’re a very special place to us." Does she say that everywhere? I don’t care if she does. I believe her!

I run up as the roadies start tearing down the stage and ask for a set list. A guy rips one off the stage and gives it to me. On the way home, my wife and I stop at our friendly 24-hour super duper Wal-Mart and frame the thing. It hangs on my wall right now.

What a night. Birmingham IS a special place, and we love our Fleetwood Mac… or should I say, Buckingham Nicks.

-----

~Jamie

www.jamie-cole.com

Last edited by JamieSPC; 06-06-2003 at 11:29 AM..
Old 06-06-2003, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great review!!
Old 06-06-2003, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Jamie, that was pretty wonderful.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Awesome review!! Just visted your site...what's the Thrown Down version w/Lindsey's "critique" at the end? Is that from the enhanced version of the album where he's like, "i liked that one!" Curious!
Old 06-06-2003, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great review!!!!!

I am so glad she is trying in her own way to nail Rhiannon on this your. You go Stevie!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great review! How special to have heard that lovely story of their beginning.....sigh...seems like each show they are getting more fired up! WOOHOO!!
Thanks again....made me smile.

Tamara

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." --Eleanor Roosevelt

"Maybe now he could prove to her... That he could be good for her... And they should be together.." --SN
Old 06-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Senior Ledgie

GardenState,

Yes, it's the Limited Edition CD thing from the studio. Sorry, I forgot to include the username/password combo in case some of you don't have some of those versions...

username: ledgies
password: mp3

I'm still floating a little. That was one massive show.

-----

~Jamie

www.jamie-cole.com
Old 06-06-2003, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

GREAT review, Jamie. What a special place Birmingham is for those two. Glad you got to see it.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Unbelievable Burmingham!

Thank you Jamie. This show really got amazing reviews! CONGRATS on being at this historic reunion! Protect your ears, and thank you for sharing this show with everyone! I hope your ears recover and you'll be hearing more crickets later on the tour! FAB-O review Jamie!
Old 06-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Thank you!

Thank you for a wonderful review...the next best thing to actually being there!

Patti