The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only song that really comes to mind is Love is like A River. I like some of her solo stuff better than others as we all do but this track I have always had a tough time getting into at all.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=He's So Unusual;1133803]

Just to show an example of our different in tastes of Stevie's solo stuff.... Ranking out of 10

The Highwayman 7/10
I Sing for the Things 8/10
Two Kinds of Love 9/10
Jane 6/10
Unconditional Love 6/10
I Still Miss Someone (Blue Eyes) 8/10
Destiny 7/10
Love Changes 6/10
That Made Me Stronger 6/10
Ghosts 7/10
Old 07-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

....what's a matter baby..... UGH!!!! Any song where her vocals are overblown, I hate.

Seven Wonders (like the melody, but some of the vocals...oofa_
I Can't Wait some of those over the top vocals are awful.

I could go on as much as I love her.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
....what's a matter baby..... UGH!!!! Any song where her vocals are overblown, I hate.

Seven Wonders (like the melody, but some of the vocals...oofa_
I Can't Wait some of those over the top vocals are awful.

I could go on as much as I love her.
I liked Seven Wonders very much wh en it first came out. It was one of my favorite songs from the album. It has fallen out of favor over time. The vocals are, as you say, over the top and shrill, which isn't very appealing. And the lyrics truly suck; so vapid and senseless. " you touched my hand, I played it cool, then you reached out your hand to me.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Ledgie

Kind of Woman
Gate and Garden

Those tracks always kind bummed out the vibe of those albums for me ,
( back when I was in junior high school )
They kept them from being "perfect"
They also made me have to get up and move the needle on the record .
That was such a drag back in those days.

Since then I've grown to appreciate them.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:07 PM
brad975
This message has been deleted by brad975. Reason: duplicate
Old 07-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Ledgie

Default God Bless

A lot of us love Stevie down South, but sometimes we just have to say, "Bless her heart" (which could be translated as "Good lawd, why?!").

These songs make me bless Stevie's heart every time they slip past my filter:

"I Can't Wait": In a cheesy '80s way, this tune boasts some exciting instrumentation. But Stevie sounds frankly confused about how to fit into this Rick Nowels music track. I'm guessing she did a mountain of coke and hoped wailing a lot of "Wells" would carry her through and help it all make sense. She reportedly used her first take, saying some vocals are "magic" even. "Well, bless her heart."

"When I See You Again": This song gets beaten up a lot. Well, it gets my "blessing."

"The Second Time": As with WISYA, the Mac was probably hoping Stevie cook up another tender "Landslide"-style number. But her voice was way too far gone! Around the time this was released, I was joyriding a lot with my oldest friend Stephanie, regularly listening to a mixtape of songs from OSOTM/BTM. I really was trying to get into them (to find some redeeming qualities) until one day Stephanie firmly announced, "No more Stevie Nicks! If you play another Stevie Nicks song, I'm jumping out of this car!" I was frankly startled! But knowing my badass friend Steph, I took her at her word, and there was no "Second Time." In retrospect, I can hardly blame her.

"Desert Angel": You put this on your Best Of. Really? I hope you didn't include this one on the iPods you gave to gave to injured vets. They've been through enough. But you've gotta bless Stevie's heart. It's in the right place.

Like Stevie, I've also gotten my quickie online ordination. So there's probably a lot of other stuff I could "bless" as well. Actually a lot of Disc 2 of the "Enchanted" set falls into that category.

But she had an amazing run from 1973 to 1983, with occasional highlights thereafter. There's only so much I can ask of one of rock 'n roll's greats.

Last edited by brad975; 07-07-2014 at 05:13 PM..
Old 07-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameGlassTable View Post
Kind of Woman
Gate and Garden.
Seriously, am I the ONLY Ledgie who absolutely ADORES "Gate & Garden"? There's got to be more of you guys who love it as much as I do, right?

I've really heard nothing but hate for this little ditty ever since I joined this forum.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Seriously, am I the ONLY Ledgie who absolutely ADORES "Gate & Garden"? There's got to be more of you guys who love it as much as I do, right?
Her singing on it saves the song. It doesn't matter what the lyrics are, because the frantic passionate vocals just sweep me away. I don't adore it, but I really like it and it's one of those songs I could caught singing to myself, when I'm holding an imaginary microphone and pretending to be a superstar.

I go really high, squealing "Nobody knows" and I go really low, "nothing about it." Soaring on do I-I-I-I love you?

Michele
Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I've really heard nothing but hate for this little ditty ever since I joined this forum.
I wouldn't single it out as a favorite, but I don't understand the hate either. And as Michele says, her vocals are fantastic.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Ledgie

I guess the dislike for Gate And Garden goes back to the time when I was
15 years old , I was so excited for the album , the only track I knew on it was Stand Back as it was the pre album single.

So I go to my bedroom , as teenagers will do , light the incense , turn on the blacklight and take the album for its maiden voyage on my (at the time) very fabulous, very big , very loud stereo system , took a seat on the floor and checked out the Album cover and the liner notes etc ..
did I mention that I lit incense ?
( it's how us old folks used to listen to a record

"Wild Heart" comes on and it's like the best most epic song I've ever heard .

Then : "If Anyone Falls" . Still blown away .

I notice immediately that her voice is drastically different sounding from Bella Donna
And I somehow loved it even more , there was this power and confidence and edge , that to my ears was not previously demonstrated .

Gate and Garden comes on and it was like a crash landing .
This major buzzkill .

Suddenly those new nuances in her voice seem self indulgent and borderline annoying .

4 minutes is a long time when your 15 years old .
And it's a long way ( to go) from the floor to the stereo ... after all that "incense" .
So I suffered .

Enchanted and Nightbird set the Universe right again .

Thanks for indulging me that little walk down Stevie Memory Lane ,

Last edited by SameGlassTable; 07-07-2014 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Typos
Old 07-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad975 View Post

"Desert Angel": You put this on your Best Of. Really? I hope you didn't include this one on the iPods you gave to gave to injured vets. They've been through enough. But you've gotta bless Stevie's heart. It's in the right place.
I can't believe I forgot Desert Angel. Sometimes It's a Bitch and Love's a Hard Game to Play aren't really any better.

Quote:

Gate and Garden has always been one of my favourite songs on The Wild Heart.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Desert Angel - P U
Old 07-07-2014, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
I can't believe I forgot Desert Angel. Sometimes It's a Bitch and Love's a Hard Game to Play aren't really any better.

Gate and Garden has always been one of my favourite songs on The Wild Heart.
I actually like the much disdained 'Love is Like a River.' I even like 'Desert Angel', but for all the wrong reasons.

Yes, the lyrics are ridiculous. Stevie, in all her good intentions, doesn't do well in her attempts with specific topical subjects ('Jane,' for example). And, she has a egotistical and compulsive need to insert herself in the topic.

"I was born in the the desert, so I know how it feels there."
Really? You lived in a hot area of the country, so you know what's like to live in a war zone? Oh, the drama!

"This is the first thing that I've written since I wrote about freedom." I'm assuming she is referencing her song 'Freedom' on Behind the Mask. Too self-involved, given the intended subject matter.

And for what it's worth, I enjoy 'Gate and Garden' for the mood it evokes. Stevie is the only person in the world who could write a song like that. Her stellar vocals save it. There are there are a few very nice lyrical passages in the song. I recall a review of the album (likely Rolling Stone) that took umbrage with the song; especially the chorus.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-07-2014 at 11:57 PM..
Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:

I loved Gate & Garden the first time I listened to The Wild Heart and still do. I think it's such a Stevie song with the piano, harmonies and lyrics.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Her singing on it saves the song. It doesn't matter what the lyrics are, because the frantic passionate vocals just sweep me away
Agreed totally. I love Gate and Garden, although her first true lyrical blunder, she sings so flawlessly, with such conviction. The vocal is spectacular. Although many high points were to come in her career, she never quite nailed a dud tune the way she did this one.