Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Backing Musiciains On This Tour

Can someone please tell me who the backing musicians were/are, and if they are any good, in the sense, who they played with. Also, I notice the drummer doesn’t bang the skins hard like Mick does or even Wally Reyes, I don’t know, is he playing to a click track ? or is the sound of the drums turned down ? also, in the IG picture posted, some guy said he was upset about having the drummer playing V Sounds, etc. My fav Backing musicians are Brett and Neale and Wally Reyes

Any insight into all this would be appreciated, wished John and Mick could have showed up for 1 show
Old 08-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Pasted from elsewhere, the band:
Lindsey Buckingham: Guitars, Vocals
Christine McVie: Keyboards, Accordian, Vocals
Neale Heywood: Guitars, Vocals
Jimmy Paxson: Drums
Federico Pol: Bass
Brett Tuggle: Guitars, Keyboards, Vocals

Jimmy has posted regularly on his Instagram, and whilst I know nothing about drums, here is some info as as start (he also commented recently about how he has a Bluetooth iPad there, I think he wrote in case he loses his place etc)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVFbwDNhfF2/

JimmypaxsonGreetings from NYC... I'll be on Jimmy Fallon tonight w/Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie... Tune in !!!
practicallynickGot time for a pats run?
gintymoonCan't wait to watch!

besatterlee77@jimmypaxson I absolutely love this setup. I was curious what made you do the v drum route over acoustic? Too many sonic changes?
ksjump😍
jimmypaxson@besatterlee77 It was a prerequisite set forth upon their inquiry "Would you be willing to play electronic drums"... The situation is very unique - definitely come catch a show, the tour starts 6/21 ; )

dustinkoesterLooks killer Jimmy! Tear 'em up
remoplaRock on bro!
tomfreundThat's redonk!! 👍😀
jtoddhallSo freaking cool! 💯💯
julieiselleyAwesome have fun!!!! 👏
wingnutt111Sweet!
takuhirano@jimmypaxson @besatterlee77 Yup, when I toured with Lindsey 10+ years ago, he wanted me to play V-Drums within my rig so that we could change kicks, snares, etc for every song. Jimmy! Miss you bro!!! Retox!
raul_picsAwesome setup! Just picked up a TD-50 myself, any videos of you playing this available??
toddrondinelliThat looks fun !!!
jimmypaxson@takuhirano Exactly !
jimmypaxson@raul_pics - There will be.
dwellgirlKiss the other Jimmy for me please!
carlyelisebyrd@takuhirano I was there. I'm always there. Love you guys.
athenamusicGo star!
craigpiloAwesome- congrats!
caitysleemanOhhh i am in new york!! Wish I saw this earlier!
michellemarie_9Slick setup man! What're your thoughts on the cymbals? They look friggen sweet but I'm always leery they'll sound like garbage.
beccy.owenHey that's cool! What sort of kit - is it hybrid? Looks like you're using mesh heads.. guessing the triggers are internal.
debs_pellegrinoI was so intently listening to you I think it was all I heard! Loved watching you!
gintymoonSounded great Jimmy! Just watched it!!!
rwconsulting@jimmypaxson Awesome, keep kickin ass!
birdeebowFabulous
besatterlee77@takuhirano that's crazy dude. Really cool but crazy
Old 08-04-2017, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

so they use electronic drums at Lindsey's design. Probably why they now have unseen backup drummer along with Mick at Mac shows. boo.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
so they use electronic drums at Lindsey's design. Probably why they now have unseen backup drummer along with Mick at Mac shows. boo.
Here's an interview with Steve Rinkov in which he discusses moving from drum tech to unseen drummer (Lindsey's idea, to recreate studio sound).
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...ov#post1200117
Old 08-04-2017, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't quite understand his obsession with making live performances sound like the recordings....they're two different things. What was so great about the early days was they went into the studio and played many of the basic tracks of songs live....

pretty soon with all these recorded tracks and sh&t you veer into Madonna/Britney Spears territory.....
Old 08-04-2017, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't quite understand his obsession with making live performances sound like the recordings....they're two different things. What was so great about the early days was they went into the studio and played many of the basic tracks of songs live....

pretty soon with all these recorded tracks and sh&t you veer into Madonna/Britney Spears territory.....
Completely agree. And, it bothers me that Steve is hidden /not introduced with the other musicians, whether that's his choice or Mick's, etc I find odd.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I agree. The reason that it's the exact same show every night during their tours with the exact same solos is because of the backing tracks. They have to follow the tracks closely so Lindsey doesn't have any room to do any improvising. I really don't think they need it. They are more than talented enough to put on a great show with just the backup singers and extra musicians.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
I agree. The reason that it's the exact same show every night during their tours with the exact same solos is because of the backing tracks. They have to follow the tracks closely so Lindsey doesn't have any room to do any improvising. I really don't think they need it. They are more than talented enough to put on a great show with just the backup singers and extra musicians.
I think more than anything, that it's having the backing vocals on the choruses, that they're afraid to lose, if they'd toss the tracks.

But yeah, it's cheesy as hell. #losethetracks
Old 08-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferuk View Post
Completely agree. And, it bothers me that Steve is hidden /not introduced with the other musicians, whether that's his choice or Mick's, etc I find odd.
I'd bet anything that that's all on Mick. He's the "legendary glue" that held FM together for 50 years, so "he don't need no help".
Old 08-13-2017, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If the backing is all recorded, I guess that certainly keeps all the shows the exact same length.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-14-2017, 05:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I was watching a youtube video of Tusk on this tour. I swear I heard Christine sing the backup yell "TUSK" but she was nowhere near a microphone. Maybe it was the backing musicians but it sounded like Christine. Its too hard to tell watching on youtube.
I also hate all the pre-recorded and programmed stuff.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For my money, one of the most obvious fake/backing tracks (apart from the bottle percussion on IN MY WORLD, that you hear SO clearly, yet no one plays) is on HOLD ME. The "Come on and" parts that Lindsey sings. They are incredibly LOUD, lower and clearer than everything else amongst the barrage of backing tracks. He "mouths" those words to the mic, but it's 100% obvoius that it's pre-recorded and he's just singing along to them for the audience's sake.

I have a feeling if we listened to these backing tracks WITHOUT the live band playing, they'd still feel pretty substantial and full. It's almost to the point where the LIVE musicians are filling out the backing tracks, not vice versa.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
If the backing is all recorded, I guess that certainly keeps all the shows the exact same length.
Well, back in 2013 at the last European-show in Amsterdam, they had problems with the soundboard and had to get some spare parts. Show started about an hour later. They skipped some songs and intro's. Cannot remember if the arrangements differed from other shows though.