Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Yet another 4-star review for Buckingham McVie - Q Magazine

Another UK magazine really likes the album, although it does read as though they think 'In My World' is a Christine song:

Old 06-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

we live in a season of MAC.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

sigh someone got paid to write that

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
sigh someone got paid to write that
Honestly, I wonder if Paul listened to the album.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie, ‘Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie': Album Review
By Michael Gallucci June 6, 2017 11:27 AM

Atlantic

The backstory behind Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie‘s self-titled album is filled with plenty of the drama their famous Fleetwood Mac lineup has been serving up since the mid ’70s.
That classic quintet — Buckingham, McVie, Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie — was set to record its first album since 1987’s Tango in the Night when Nicks decided to focus on her solo career instead, leaving new material written by Buckingham and Christine McVie — some together, some separately — without a home … until they pushed forward with the project, reconfigured as a duet record, and recruited drummer Fleetwood and bassist John McVie.

So, basically, Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie is a Fleetwood Mac record minus one key member. Nothing new for the often-splintered group: 1990’s Behind the Mask was made without Buckingham, 1995’s Time without Buckingham and Nicks and 2003’s Say You Will (which followed the reunited band’s 1997 live comeback, The Dance) without Christine McVie. And like the albums made over the past quarter century, there are some good moments, some underwhelming ones and some missed opportunities
Thankfully, Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie is a lot closer to the springy Say You Will than the forgettable Time. It starts with three killer songs: Buckingham’s “Sleeping Around the Corner,” “Feel About You,” a co-write with McVie, and “My World,” another Buckingham composition. And it reinforces just how reliable Fleetwood Mac can be, even without their most popular singer-songwriter.

Nicks is clearly missed at times, especially her part in the vocal trio’s harmonies. But Buckingham — one of music’s most undervalued guitarists, singers, songwriters and producers — checks in with some of his most engaging songs in years. And McVie, who last released a solo record in 2004, sounds revitalized following her long absence from the studio.
Occasionally the album comes off as separate and distinct solo records, sorta like Fleetwood Mac’s 1979 Tusk, the double LP that often found the band’s three singer-songwriters serving as each other’s backing players. (Indeed, “Sleeping Around the Corner” first appeared as a bonus track on Buckingham’s last solo record, 2011’s Seeds We Sow.) But Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie still manages to fall together thanks to the two artists’ undeniable creative fusion, which powered songs like “Don’t Stop” and “Think About Me” in the past.

There’s filler — “Too Far Gone,” the album’s heaviest song, relies on a riff and percussion breakdown borrowed from “Tusk,” and McVie is best when pushed outside of the confines of her big melancholy piano ballad here, “Game of Pretend” — but the majestic pop landscapes Buckingham drops most of the songs into make even the flimsiest tracks a treat to hear. And the longtime rhythm team of Fleetwood and McVie consistently and effortlessly locks into the grooves. In other words, Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie is a pretty good Fleetwood Mac album. It’s Nicks’ loss.

Fleetwood Mac Albums Ranked Worst to Best

Read More: Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie, 'Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie': Album Review | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/linds...ckback=tsmclip

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-06-2017, 01:01 PM

Too Far Gone is so much fun to listen to!
Old 06-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...d-mac-47844571

Review: Buckingham-McVie album is nearly all Fleetwood Mac

By PABLO GORONDI, ASSOCIATED PRESS Jun 5, 2017, 1:20 PM ET

This cover image released by Atlantic Records shows a self-titled album by Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie. (Atlantic Records via AP)The Associated Press

Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie, "Lindsay Buckingham Christine McVie" (Atlantic)

The first duet album from Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie is nearly Fleetwood Mac, with only Stevie Nicks missing from the band's classic lineup.

Its development began even before McVie rejoined the band after 16 years for the 2014-2015 "On With the Show" tour, when Buckingham recorded several songs with the Mac rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, who also contribute to the finished album.

More layers were added when Buckingham worked on snippets of chords, lyrics and melodies he was sent by McVie and a couple of their writing collaborations — the vocals-soaked pop of "Red Sun" and "Too Far Gone," with a Knopfler-esque, bluesy guitar riff and pounding drums — are among the highlights of the self-titled album.

"Game of Pretend" is a trademark McVie piano-led ballad which starts with great promise but turns to mush on the refrain. The other track she penned alone on the 10-song album is the excellent closer "Carnival Begin," her best vocal wonderfully framed by Buckingham's production touches and his typically yearning guitar solo that fades away too soon.

If the album was meant to be part of a full Fleetwood Mac comeback at some point, the Buckingham tunes have more of a solo album feel.

Still, the track sharing a name with the last Mac tour reveals both the beauty and apparent inescapability in the life of a musician like Buckingham — "As long as I stand, I will take your hand, I will stand with my band/There's nowhere to go, but on down the road, let's get on with the show."

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

'It’s Nicks’ loss'

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-06-2017, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope I get to tell Lindsey and Christine how great the refrain on "GoP" is... these reviews are so wrong.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
'It’s Nicks’ loss'
"All that's missing is the presence of the witchy Stevie Nicks."

Just tit for tat- I suppose for virtually every review that supports her absence, there's one that misses her. But hopefully the reviews (and comments here) will continue to focus on the music, not the personalities who aren't even on the record
Old 06-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
"All that's missing is the presence of the witchy Stevie Nicks."

Just tit for tat- I suppose for virtually every review that supports her absence, there's one that misses her. But hopefully the reviews (and comments here) will continue to focus on the music, not the personalities who aren't even on the record
I listen for the latest installment in the soap opera. She may not be on the record, but she is a signifying absence just as much if not more than Chris was on SYW.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Just tit for tat- I suppose for virtually every review that supports her absence, there's one that misses her.

I'm not sure there are any/many reviews that support her absence per se. Certainly, 'It's Nicks' loss' isn't suggesting its good she's not there- just that its a good album and she would have been better off being on it.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-06-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure there are any/many reviews that support her absence per se. Certainly, 'It's Nicks' loss' isn't suggesting its good she's not there- just that its a good album and she would have been better off being on it.
Agreed, I think it was a sincere way of saying that she missed an opportunity that would have benefited both parties. The personalities are just as much as a component of music, imo. It's Fleetwood Mac!
Old 06-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good going considering every newly released Mac studio album since Q's inception only got three stars.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I understand. Just like "All that's missing is the presence of the witchy Stevie Nicks" suggests that it's a good album and would have been better if she had been on it. Like I said, hopefully future reviews will focus on the music. I understand her absence may be mentioned, just like Lindsey's was on Behind the Mask, and Christine's was on Say You Will, but considering Chris and Lindsey are saying this isn't a Fleetwood Mac album, well, it's confusing enough as is. But us folks here on the Ledge know the scoop, so hopefully people can continue to like and praise or maybe not praise the album based on the music, and not on who isn't on the album. I would hate to think that someone wouldn't like the album just because Nicks isn't on it. That wouldn't make any sense- you either like the songs or you don't, right? No matter who is playing on them.

Glad to hear the album is getting good reviews. I'm excited to see what Rolling Stone and Billboard will say.