Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-25-2004, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting interview below.
I think the line that Jennifer couldn't handle a Manilow song is pure crap. Who are they kidding?
The comments from her about divas and George make me wonder if there was any backstage friction between the three ladies.

- Jake

TV News
Hudson Talks Frankly About 'Idol' Dismissal
(Friday, April 23 03:18 PM)
By Daniel Fienberg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - "I feel like I won the show since I lost the show," Jennifer Hudson says.
You may have heard that Hudson was sent home on Wednesday (April 21) night's "American Idol." You may also have heard that the situation surrounding that departure was, let's just say "contentious."

Two days after Hudson left the "Idol" stage surrounded by her weeping fellow finalists, the 22-year-old Chicago native is facing her future with optimism, but while she denies disappointment, it's clear that a bitter taste remains in her mouth.

The official "American Idol" web site dismisses any kind of controversy, declaring, somewhat misleadingly, "In the round of seven, Jennifer wasn't able to handle the music of Barry Manilow." Hudson disagrees, joining her vocal legion of fans in maintaining that her exit was premature.
"I don't think it was based on talent," she declares. "If we're gonna base it on talent, I know I was robbed. I don't think ... I don't know exactly what it was based on, but I don't think it was talent at all."

Although she quickly skips over suggestions that race may have played a role ("Talent has no color," she explains) she knows for a fact that she lost votes because of storms that caused power outages in Chicago. It wasn't until after Wednesday night's show that Hudson's mother confessed that she had been unable to vote on Tuesday night and that several of her siblings had also experienced a lack of cell phone reception.

"That storm was a sign from God that it's time to remove you from this place," says the religious Hudson. "I feel like He spoke and when He's got something to say, I ain't got nothing to say about it."

One person she refuses to blame is 16-year-old John Stevens, the carrot-top crooner who has been at the center of debate for weeks due to the popularly held perception that he isn't good for this level of competition. Hudson confirms that the past few Wednesdays, Stevens has been heard saying that he should have been going home.

"We all feel he deserves to be there. We all deserve to be there," Hudson declares. "I don't think he should feel that way. He has fans, just like we do, and obviously they're voting."

Hudson's frustration isn't that John Stevens' fans flood the phone with their votes every Tuesday, but that other contestants' fans are slower to show their support. Then again, Hudson is of the opinion that she wasn't getting enough love throughout the competition.

"I never really received any of my props or accolades from any of the judges and they always gave me a hard time, so it wasn't really an easy role for me at all," she says, reasoning that perhaps it was just time for her to move on.

Calling herself "The Good Diva," Hudson insists that she doesn't have "a bad attitude and a lot of demands and all that crap." The problem may just be that Hudson is a singer for a different time. As much as she enjoyed receiving her smattering of compliments from the "Idol" judges, she puts more stock in raves from the likes of guest judges Elton John and Barry Manilow.

"They come from the real era of music, when it was real singing, back when music was music," Hudson say. "I felt like if I was born in the time of Aretha Franklin then... it would be 'Aretha Franklin and Jennifer Hudson.' I'd rather be praised by somebody like them versus the people of today, because the people of today have no clue what real music is."

Hudson says she'll be rooting for close friend George Huff for the rest of the competition and refuses to feel bad either about her performance on the show or the way her run ended.

"I'm just telling the truth because -- as far as the show goes -- I really don't have anything to lose, because it's over for me," she says. "I feel overall, I can't complain, because I experienced everything I wanted to experience."
Old 04-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
Catch me on a Monday morning.

- Jake
Catch me on any morning and I won't make sense

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-27-2004, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default **SPOILERS** in this post

Elton John Blasts "Idol" As Racist

April 27, 2004
Grammy Award winner ELTON JOHN let loose on "American Idol" voters on Monday calling their decisions racist. John admits he hasn't had time to watch the show lately, but has some definitive thoughts on last week's voting in which the three divas -- FANTASIA BARRINO, LA TOYA LONDON and JENNIFER HUDSON were in the bottom three, and then Jennifer was sent home.

"The three girls would have the talent to be members of the Royal Academy or Julliard," he comments. "They have great voices. The fact that they're constantly in the bottom three, and I don't want to set myself up here, but I find it incredibly racist."

As "American Idol" fans know Tuesday, April 6 was Elton John night on the pop idol wannabe series, and the music icon had worked briefly with each of the finalists to select one of his songs for that night's show. Although John was in Las Vegas the night the Idols actually performed, he became very aware of each and every one of their talents from the time he spent with them.

John is heading out on the road again and made the comments during a press conference announcing a new series of concerts.

Spoiler:
In other "American Idol" news, ET's Insider has the latest from this week's rehearsals which have a Latin theme as the idols will be backed by the MIAMI SOUND MACHINE and the guest judge is GLORIA ESTEFAN.

Maybe it's a result of being in the bottom three last week, or maybe she just wants to shake things up, but this week La Toya casts aside her normal ballads and performs the
Spoiler:
"Rhythm Is Gonna Get You."

Fellow diva, the fab Fantasia, struck an instant rapport with Gloria when she walked into rehearsals, kicked off her high heels and told the Grammy Award winner, "Girrrrrl, I want you to teach me to salsa!" Fantasia chose "Get On Your Feet," and it goes without saying will add her own gospel flair.

GEORGE HUFF is having a tough week. The New Orleans native is not feeling well, so his voice is not ringing true. Sources say this could be his last week in the competition, despite earlier speculation he would make it to the Top 4. George has selected "Live For Loving You."

DIANA DeGARMO, who also was ill during two weeks worth of performances, has fully recovered and will sing "Turn The Beat Around," and the Aloha girl JASMINE TRIAS will give viewers her rendition of "Here We Are."

And last, JOHN STEVENS sings "Music of My Heart," the duet Gloria performed with *NSYNC. This is not the type of song John does best, and hopes are not high for his performance, but John found support from his mother, who watched proudly as he rehearsed.

According to the Insider, Diana, La Toya and Fantasia delivered the strongest rehearsals, with Jasmine starting a little shaky but building her confidence as she goes. The two weakest performances are John Stevens, who only does "okay, not hitting the notes," and as mentioned earlier, if George can't get it together because of his illness, he could be out if he doesn't turn the beat around
Old 04-27-2004, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't find it racist. It's based on who watches the show and what their musical taste is. Evidently, those that vote are, as we established, 12 year old girls with raging hormones who are evidently head over heals for John Stevens and have no taste. I don't like Fantasia and at first, I didn't like Jennifer. I don't like George at all but that doesn't make me racist...I don't think George can sing very well and I don't like Fantasia's style of singing AT ALL.

They tell you at the end of the show to vote for who you'd want to save because you don't want to see them go. The girls were hyped up by the judges as "that Divas" and I think people may have though well, I don't need to vote for "the Divas" because they'll be safe no matter what and look, worked against them.

Jennifer SHOULD NOT have gone home but it happened. I think it makes the situation worse to throw race out there. I don't think that's the case at all. So Elton, if there had been three white people in the bottom group (which there has been before) then what would you have to say? So stupid...
Old 04-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie
Jennifer SHOULD NOT have gone home but it happened. I think it makes the situation worse to throw race out there. I don't think that's the case at all. So Elton, if there had been three white people in the bottom group (which there has been before) then what would you have to say? So stupid...
It was on the news that many, many, many of the posts on the AI board contain sentimnents like "I don't want to see a top three of all black divas." Race is factor, we just don't know how big.

Old 04-28-2004, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I find it arrogant of Elton to say that when he himself hasn't been watchingg the show or voting. Who is he to make such an assessment? I'm angry about the results and I suspect race is a factor (who knows how big), but far be it from me to turn my suspicion into a public accusation, and I did watch.

- Jake
Old 04-28-2004, 06:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyone else bored to tears last night? The only one who impressed me at all was Latoya. And Simon was right, Diana's dress was AWEFUL!

Paula
Old 04-28-2004, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
Anyone else bored to tears last night? The only one who impressed me at all was Latoya. And Simon was right, Diana's dress was AWEFUL!

Paula
Yes, I was bored, too! I'm so over Fantasia. Her voice just does nothing for me, and something about her irks me, but I'm not sure what. However, I love LaToya's voice, and she's so poised. Bravo to Simon for his comments to John, even though I don't remember exactly what he said. I just know I thought it was nice of him to say! And Diana's dress reminded me of the chamois things that hang down at automatic carwashes to scrub your car.

Carol
Old 04-28-2004, 08:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet
Diana's dress reminded me of the chamois things that hang down at automatic carwashes to scrub your car.

Carol
Ha! You're right about the car wash, but I think Diana's dress was fun and appropriate for the salsa theme.

I have to admit that Diana was the best last night, even though I'm not her biggest fan. LaToya was not bad either. And though Fantasia is still my girl, I think the people who did the worst last night were: John--the WORST, George--really bad, and Fantasia--NOT feeling it.

I am surprised too at Elton's comment about racism, but dissention is right--there's lots of race talk over on the Idol boards.

~Amy
Old 04-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin

Paula
I watched to see what was said about Jennifer. The show was terrible, not just boring. LaToya & Diana were the best, followed by Fantasia & Jasmine. George was horrible, as bad as John Stevens this time. I think tonight it will be Jasmine or George leaving, though who knows with this show. I will not be watching. Fantasia is my favorite of this group, but she might go tonight. I think LaToya will take it all.

- Jake
Old 04-28-2004, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorceress
I have to admit that Diana was the best last night, even though I'm not her biggest fan.
Agreed. Diana was the best and I really can't stand her singing at all. LaToya was good, but she just kind of bores me sometimes with her perfect singing, perfect poise, perfect everything...there's not a whole lot of character or personality there, but she has the most pristene (sp?) voice of all the contestants.

I really miss Jennifer she was so natural, upbeat and quirky. The spark has kind of left the show. And Fantasia? What a diva. Divas like her are a dime a dozen.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So the bottom three tonight were actually more on target than last weeks....

That "Whip It" Ford promo they did was GOD AWFUL!!!!!!

Last edited by Merf; 04-28-2004 at 07:50 PM..
Old 04-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Finally they got the final 3 right!
Old 04-28-2004, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

THERE IS JUSTICE.

Yup.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The right person was voted off this week!!