Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-09-2002, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Update on Christine's Solo Album

After seeing the news of Christine's album posted here and on http://www.pauseandplay.com/cdfront.htm, I thought I would try and confirm this with Ken Cailliet.

Ken replied with the following information.

The solo CD is still in the works, guitars will be added to the tracks in January and mixing should follow after that.
Release date is subject to finding a label to release the solo album.

His actual words were

'We'll start guitars in January, it should be ready to mix soon after that, now it's just the small detail of finding the right label to sign with. No label, no release date.'

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 12-09-2002, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation AH!

Thanks for the post Neil! That sure clears up a lot of things (although in an unfortunate way)

I have a feeling THIS (finding a label) is the area in which Christine will have a problem and that's why I figured it would be Ken's firm doing it but oh well, I hope she can get a label to agree to her "terms" (of not touring behind it) but I'm having a hard time being positive about that (fingers and toes crossed anyways though).

John
Old 12-09-2002, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thank you for keeping us up to date on this, Neil.
As always, it's greatly appreciated.

Johnny Stew
Old 12-09-2002, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If even Fleetwood Mac were alledgedly in jeopardy of losing their Warner/Reprise contract it might be difficult for Christine to get one with a major label .Her last solo record was in 1984 and did not manage to reach gold status,and honestly I think Chris needed Lindsey's edge to really put her songs over the top,as evidenced by the striking string of Fleetwood Mac hits written by Chris and it should be pointed out this string rather abruptly petered out after Lindsey's departure.Christine is a solid pop songwriter and an excellent keyboardist with a distinctive voice but outside of the framework of the Buckingham/Nicks version of Fleetwood Mac her successes have been spotty.

Old 12-09-2002, 11:46 PM
Senior Ledgie

Well that's not entirely true. Got A Hold On Me went to #10 on the Billboard charts and along with Love Will Show Us How, she was on the charts for a total of 26 weeks. It's not like the album was a total obscurity. And it's not like Lindsey really did any better on his own with Law And Order and Go Insane.
-Brian
Old 12-10-2002, 02:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I 'm aware of the chart positions .i'm not trying to knock Christine ,just pointing out these major labels seem to prefer to spend large amounts on undertalented younger performers rather than go with a veteran with a track record. and again "Got a Hold on Me' did make #10 but this was almost 19 years ago and unlike many of Christine's FM hits I have not heard it on the radio in many years.As for Lindsey's albums I can somewhat understand why "Law and Order' and "Go Insane' did not sell very well but there is really no excuse that the more accessible and pretty much flawless "Out of the Cradle' did not sell many times the amount it did.,in reality it did not sell as well as his first 2. I think this is surely why we are seeing Lindsey's follow -up to that masterpiece being absorbed into the upcoming Fleetwood Mac release.

Last edited by BombaySapphire3; 12-10-2002 at 02:14 AM..
Old 12-10-2002, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by BombaySapphire3
I 'm aware of the chart positions .i'm not trying to knock Christine ,just pointing out these major labels seem to prefer to spend large amounts on undertalented younger performers rather than go with a veteran with a track record.
That's exactly why I think her album will be on a smaller label. I'm fairly optimistic that we will eventually hear this album. I don't believe she would go to all the trouble of finishing this album if she or her management didn't have some idea of how they were going to release it.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

god! how come no one gets just how important and wonderful this news is???
take christine, after 2 million years of being "chained" to one of the world's biggest record companies, through a group which was one of the world's most commercialy succesful, this extremely talented musician, a woman who NEEDED to write smashes like little lies, is now on her own, free from any commitment or obligation, especially not a record company keeping their guns to her head screaming "sell!!!".
she obviously doesn't seek commercial (or financial) success anymore, after taking as much time as she needed, she's now doing her OWN thing. despite almost turning 60 i believe she's got alot to give, it makes no difference if she releases it through a major label or the oddest indie one, commercial success is always fun but it's not the issue here.
this album starts to smell really good to me

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2002, 01:25 PM
Ledgie

I'm not going to try to read too much into what her past solo efforts have done and I don't think that finding a label is going to be that difficult.

Some smart lable be it big or small, is going to jump right on this. Why should she tour? Fleetwood Mac is going to tour.

If the timing of the release is right, even with little or no promotion, people will be seeing this in the stores and if they already have the new Mac album, this will suffice for what they want more of. Not to mention that she already has a huge fan base. If she found somebody to put into it what has been put into VBOFM, I think this album could be huge.

I think that the label that gives her the best deal is going to get it. Whatever she determines a good deal to be.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Brown
this album could be huge.
if there is anything i could absolutly assure you, it's that it won't be.
it has nothing to do with christine whatsoever, or the material's quality, i just can't recall a case of a female vocalist who had a hit album at the age of 60, not even tina turner did this. the odds for this wonder to happen are similar to those of having a woman this age winning the olympics or something.

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!

Last edited by tommer; 12-10-2002 at 02:52 PM..
Old 12-10-2002, 04:05 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Brown
If she found somebody to put into it what has been put into VBOFM, I think this album could be huge.
Maybe huge was the wrong word to use without putting it into context.

I don't expect that anyone thinks that this album will sell like Eminem or even like Fleetwood Mac. But for what it is, it has a real good chance to do very well within it's market. It has a lot going for it even without her doing the actual touring. The Fleetwood Mac tour will give it quite a boost.

I don't have any market research data, but the possibility exists that media advertising could also be worthwhile.

I can't imagine any record label or business person not wanting this sure piece of business. That is my point.

Last edited by Doctor Brown; 12-10-2002 at 04:57 PM..
Old 12-10-2002, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by tommer
...the odds for this wonder to happen are similar to those of having a woman this age winning the olympics or something...
Yes, I absolutely agree. This album is going to be truly "for the fans", and I'm 99.999% sure that Christine is aware of the fact that even if it is all excellent tracks, she should not be expecting it to do well at all in the pop charts...I would be VERY surprised if it broke the top 50. I'm not a pessimist...just stating reality.

Old 12-11-2002, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

What? You don't even think the track with Snoop Dogg and Ozzy Osbourne will score?
Old 12-11-2002, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey, we 60 year olds aren't dead yet Lots of life left!

I agree though given the record industry's unwillingness to release albums by veteran performers, it may be hard for Chris to find a label. Maybe Ken has connections and can help??? I hope so because if there's anything I'd like as much or more than a solo Lindsey album it's a solo Chris album!

I love her, she's classy and talented and her side of the stage is gonna seem mighty empty to me on this upcoming tour