The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-29-2002, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Double album and commercial success...

Just read the Mick Fleetwood interview posted by greatdarkwing. Thanks for it. Just some thoughts...
It seems to me that this won't be a double album- even though there still is mentioned that it may be different. Talking explicitly about how the album will be received (and about LB`s responsibility) is talking about commercial success. And therefore a single CD is just more likely. Critical praise is not enough- look at "Out of the cradle". It was very well received by critics and by the fans like us but a commercial failure. And this also should be the reason for the 10 years of waiting for the cancelled "Gift of screws". As FM project it promises more public recognition. And then it seems unlikely to me that all this should be risked by pulling it out as a double CD. Although we probably all would like it this way...

Another question to all of you. Concerning the "success" and "charts" thing- Do you believe it therefore really matters if the album is good or not? It surely will be good in our ears, as we like the group and their music. But is it possible, that a dino group of mid50`s out of sight for years could still make it in the charts regarding the MTV boy and girl band- stylish culture? Just interested in your opinions and estimations!
Old 11-29-2002, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I, personally, hope it is going to be a double album, both Stevie and Lindsey have a wealth of material and and I really believe they want it released. but they, like us, probably don't know if this could be their last album. Not because of the personality conflicts which plagued the band in the past but we don't know if their new material has a general and even new popular audience out there. and the record companies don't know either but lucky for us, FM still has the clout to try (The Dance gave them that). and also lets not forget by music standards, TISL was a successful album even tho it did not receive lots of radio airplay.

and what's a double album really these days??? you can fit 18-24 tracks on one cd, and that would have been two vinyls back in the 70's and would have been defined as a double album. So Mick (showing his age lol) might call be calling it a double album but it just might be one cd disk. And younger fans know that you get at least 14-16 tracks on a single cd from the corporate mongers but these same young fans burn their own single cd's containing 18-24 tracks. so for them to buy a double album, it does not have the same meaning for them as it did for us back in the day...plus buying an FM cd, is an investment for the family's music collection not just one family member as it also was for us back in the day. Lots of young fans here on the Ledge were exposed to FM by listening to their folks music. so to talk their folks into paying for it should not be the issue, it was for us back in the day. now I've used that phrase 3X's so this paragraph is over... so next thought

I also know, based on the success of tours like Paul McCartney's, Eric Clapton and even Stevie's tour two summers ago, there is a definite nostalgic audience out there who are still devoted concertgoers even as age creeps up on us all. But still most of that audience still wants only to hear the "hits". So, as far as a marketing stragegy goes, this Best of album release around Christmastime, has been a very good idea. All reviews I've read and seen refer to the new album in the spring so even the "loyal" fans (meaning those people who remember and like the popular FM stuff not us devoted Ledgies who are on another statusphere alltogether) know a new album is coming out in the spring.

so the album has the same chance any album has but fickle is the popular wind, and in the end, it doesn't really matter to me because I know, I'll buy it and I'll see the concerts.

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64
Old 12-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Double album and commercial success...

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
But is it possible, that a dino group of mid50`s out of sight for years could still make it in the charts regarding the MTV boy and girl band- stylish culture?
boy bands and girl bands are over.

it's interesting how the term "pop" has turned into hip hop.
pop music now.. for the most part.. is all about the hip hop beats. even freakin' justin timberlake's "pop" song is hip hop style.

i can stand hip hop.. but i can't deal with the boy/girl band crap. thank god it's on its way out.

i bet that FM will target VH1 and like.. letterman.leno.todayshow.yaddayadda.. instead of MTV. The Dance reunion on MTV was the ISH, but I doubt that will happen again. Even MTV unplugged has gone UNDER!!! (perhaps FM will see some moderate success on MTV2???)

Sarah
Old 12-05-2002, 06:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Okay, so I started to post this on the day the Ledge boards went down and just happened to copy it then. I finally get to reply. (Sometimes I think I'm the board killer...everytime I post, the boards go down within a day.)

Quote:
It seems to me that this won't be a double album- even though there still is mentioned that it may be different.
I find this odd. They are in the final stages of mixing and they still don't know if it will be a double album? It seems to me that a decision like that would be made before the final mixing stage. I mean, why waste time mixing many (10+) songs that will never make it? Or maybe this is the way all bands do it and they pick and choose amonst the completed tracks. I dunno. I'm still banking on a double album, but that's the optimist in me.

Quote:
Do you believe it therefore really matters if the album is good or not? It surely will be good in our ears, as we like the group and their music. But is it possible, that a dino group of mid50`s out of sight for years could still make it in the charts regarding the MTV boy and girl band- stylish culture?
Do you mean does it matter if the album is good or if the album is well-received (either commercially or critically)? Because to be honest, I don't see it making a big impact on the charts or in the visual scope of pop music (MTV, etc.). I think it will sell really big the first few weeks, then quietly drop off. I also don't anticipate much single airplay (because the radio waves are cluttered with such the news that J-Lo is still, yes, still, Jenny from the block. . ) Who has time for music like Fleetwood Mac when that we have that as an alternative?

None of this, however, relates to how good it is. I think you're right - I'll love the album because I love Lindsey and Stevie's style. It would have to be a pretty extreme departure for me to not like it. And I'm sure it won't - I'll love it. But will the legion of people buying up J-Ho and Christina Hoguilera records like it and make it a chart topper? Doubtful.

And that's not too big of a deal for me. It would be nice if they get tons of airply, because it's always cool when I hear Fleetwood Mac on the radio. I kinda feel like "Hey! That's my band!" But I don't think not hearing the new stuff on the radio will make it any less of a success to my ears.

Mike B.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up I think...

it will be a double album because why else would Mick say it would be on the "Golf Channel" the other night...That's right, "The GOLF Channel"(!!!!)...

I missed that (Dead asleep) but Debbie said he talked about his golfing DVD (He has a golfing DVD??? Mick??? Hehehehehe...), His golf game (He was talking about how to properly swing...That had to be classic!!!) & the upcoming Mac "Double Album".

Too bad they won't re-air that interview...Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 12-05-2002, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why wouldn't they make this a 2 CD LP?? This isn't 1979...double CD's now sell for 12$ easily at many places...Best Buy, Circut City etc. That should not be a problem this day and age. I got VBOFM for 10$.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile I agree...

3 of the last 4 cd's I have purchased have been "Double Sets" and I haven't payed more than $16 for any of them (I just received the new Sir Paul McCartney "Back In The US" set for $11.99 (Through BestBuy.com) and it included an extra DVD/single at no extra price.)...So I'm all for a "double album"...Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 12-05-2002, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I love the idea of a double album, because we get twice the new, Mac material! Also, they haven't had an album since The Dance, so it makes up for the waiting we had to go through. What could be more awesome than double the Mac? Well, I can think of only one thing , and we can't talk about that on here.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 12-06-2002, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This will be a "double album's worth of material", I am 101% sure of it. Now whether it's 2 CDs or 1, I don't know and don't really care either! If they're going for maximising sales, a single CD will always look more wallet-friendly than a chunky double set(unless the price is ultra good for the double), so I hope they bare that in mind.

Regarding "success", primarily I hope that we, the Mac's biggest fans, enjoy the new music. A distant second would be to see that the album does well both commercially and critically in the international world of music, but at age 50+, with 7/8 figure bank accounts, and albums like "Rumours" as part of their history, I don't think they should be too worried about that.