Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-07-2002, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

i don't see the point, if she's still under contract with warners we can all be sure that christine's album's release will be at the exact time in which both two releases would benefit the most from. there is no possible way for any conflict of interests there.

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2002, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I know Fleetwood Mac has always been surrounded by drama... but I really think folks who are looking for sinister motives in this particular scenario, are barking up the wrong tree.
I don't feel as strongly as Jessica does that Christine is deliberately antagonizing Fleetwood Mac, but something about the whole thing still seems really odd to me. I'm not sure I buy the idea that Christine the "artist" feels the need once again to create. This is the lady who once said, "Why buy a loaf of bread six months before you eat it," & who has always said she writes music only because a specific project looms on the horizon. She may enjoy just doodling around with her recording equipment at home -- anyone who plays the piano enjoys that -- but I never got the impression that writing songs & recording them for millions of record-buyers was anything more than career mechanics for her.

We all asked Ken about working with Fleetwood Mac again a few years ago, & while he said he'd like to, apparently no offers were forthcoming. Now -- out of the blue as of several months ago -- we hear (thanks to Neil) that Ken is already working with Christine on an album.

It's just odd, particularly the timing. The band says it tried to get her back into the fold for months & months, & finally gave up. Did she tell them, "No, I'm finished"? or did she tell them, "No, I plan to start my own album"?

Maybe Warner actually wants to publicize a Christine McVie solo album at the same time as a Fleetwood Mac album. Maybe the latter will propel the former somehow (I really don't see how it would in practical terms, although the theory is nice).
Old 12-07-2002, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool New Christine Music

What it's all about to me is getting new music from Christine McVie whether she is in FM or not. I'll take it any way I can get it!

What I DO like about the fact that Chris is releasing a solo project is that it is giving her the opportunity to work with the likes of the Steve Winwoods, Eric Claptons, and well who knows who in the rock and roll world! I'd love to see her do a collaboration with Sir Paul McCartney...someone she herself said would be totally honored to work with.

I do believe that Chris is not in FM because she doesn't want to get caught up in that HUGE pr/touring machine anymore. She has every right to do what she wants to.....she owes nothing to FM.

I'll be one of the first in line to buy her new album.

Joe
Old 12-07-2002, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: New Christine Music

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd
What it's all about to me is getting new music from Christine McVie whether she is in FM or not. I'll take it any way I can get it!
That's totally how I see it. I like these 5 people's music so much that I will take any of it in any form, be it group, solo, or special guest.

As for "FM v Chris"...

Here's how I see it: I think that's just completely silly. I firmly believe that FM are 100% behind her on this project, and will support her in any way they can. I wouldn't be surprised if we even saw some guest appearances from some/all of them on some tracks. Christine could be in LA discussing something about the album with some of them in that rented house right now. OK, it's unlikely, but is there anyone here on The Ledge who could 100% disprove that?

She's almost 60 years old, she's been in the business professionally for almost 35 years now, and she toured for 30 years of that career. She's tired of it now, and so would most people be, but her passion for music and writing and playing it will never tire, so she's continuing to what she loves on her own: you can't write for and be part of Fleetwood Mac and not tour (I mean "Mega $750K/night Tour", not the "Time" tour), as Lindsey Buckingham found out back in '87.

Old 12-07-2002, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Well said Joe (jwd)!

I suppose anything's possible but I'd be very suprised if Warners were involved with CM's album as I don't think they would sign her to a new solo deal (even if it is to be a "one off') if they KNOW that she will NOT tour for it under any circumstances and I doubt it has anything to do with an existing deal as I think WB would've "bugged" Chris to have done a"follow up" to her 1984 album by now if they still had her under contract (18 years later) and it must be safe to assume that when she "left" FM there must have been some waiver papers to sign to relieve her of all FM "obligations" (and I'm sure it was more the "touring" side of the "obligations" which she was happy to end).

IF there IS anything "suspicious" going on, it may simply be a publicity stunt to get people to THINK that there is "bad blood" between CM & FM to try to make it be like the "good old Rumours days" but I personally don't think so. I don't think we can really guess because we don't know what's going on, we don't know what conversations took place.

If we are to "guess" then MY guess would be that maybe Ken APPROACHED HER about doing a solo album as he may have seen how many Chris fans were here (and how sad they were to hear of her "retirement") when he came to do his Q & A and as his firm is not as "greedy" as tyrants (such as WB/Reprise), he was probably in the position to be able to promise her something (which most labels would not) which is that she wouldn't have to tour for the album as he/his firm would be happy with the sales he/his firm would get from it's "name" alone? Just a thought, but something like this makes perfect sense to me, whaddaya think?

John
Old 12-07-2002, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well solo albums and side projects are a FM tradition! Spencer, Green, Buckingham, Nicks, Fleetwood, all did them while still members.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:07 PM

Christine should do whatever she wants. I'm not particularly looking forward to her solo effort. I didn't like her new contribution to The Dance, and I wasn't crazy about her songs in Time. I like Nights in Estoril, though, because it mentions a town in the motherland. Regardless of how I feel, her forthcoming album is great news for her fans.

Why would she choose to record solo as opposed to working with Fleetwood Mac? There's no doubt in my mind that she's just sick of the other characters in the band--maybe not all of them, but one, two or even three. Either something happened during the Dance tour or she just didn't feel comfortable with the vibe.

She chose to leave. That's her decision. Don't want to buy her solo album? Don't. But if you do, enjoy it.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Either something happened during the Dance tour or she just didn't feel comfortable with the vibe
Well...yeah...she was probably really gung-ho for "The Dance" video & whole reunion thing, but probably groaned loud enough to shatter all the windows in the WB offices when they mentioned "40 date tour". And, I'm thinking that 6.3 temblor in Northridge was Christine putting her foot down about not extending "The Dance" tour further than the 40 shows.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:29 AM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
There's no doubt in my mind that she's just sick of the other characters in the band--maybe not all of them, but one, two or even three. Either something happened during the Dance tour or she just didn't feel comfortable with the vibe.

I'm kind of thinking the same thing. Haven't any of you gotten sick of a "rat pack" you hung out with? Or, even your own family (ie...like at Thanksgiving????) At one time you may have been real close but things change in life and everyone gets pulled in different directions. I really think it's NOT out of a dislike for the rest of FM cause i think she really does love them but she's just had her fill of them. I mean, a lot of the publicity in that band is on Stevie and Lindsey and their relationship yadda yadda...I know she doesn't like to be the center of attention but maybe she's just sick of all that comes with that band. I've seen interviews with FM at times when they had to retell the stories and their attitudes are like "this is the millionth time i've had to say this and i'm sure everyone knows the story BUT i'll tell it again..."

So, I'm sure Chris doesn't want to deal with that. If she is "tired" of the rest of the band maybe she hasn't really told them. How can you tell someone "i'm sick of you" without having it be construed as being offensive?

David said "It's just odd, particularly the timing..." yes, it is. She going to have to anticipate some raised eyebrows about that. I wonder what FM thinks.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only thing that bothers me is that I thought she was not recording with Fleetwood Mac because she "retired" from music. That obviously isn't the case, and I know I either heard it from her or one of the band members (probably Stevie). Otherwise, I really don't care.

I don't think it has as much to do with her not wanting to be around FM as it does her not wanting to be in that crazy, rushed kind of style that goes with a big band like Fleetwood Mac. She probably wants to work at her own pace, do her own thing, and not have to tour if she doesn't want to. Or, if she does want to tour, she could just do a few shows and take long breaks or whatever. Plus, like someone mentioned, she can work with other artists. It's probably just a side project to fill some idle time she has...I don't really think she wants this to be a huge deal, which again I think is why she chose a solo album and not Fleetwood Mac.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh my god.....I don't understand what the problem is. I think it s GREAT if Christine wants to end her career with a solo album of her own......waht is the big deal? She has PUT IN HER TIME with Fleetwood Mac, and I don't blame her for calling it quits. I don't see it as a slap in the face at all to FM, b/c I'm sure they do not feel that way....they are probably happy for her. She is doing what she wants and creating some of her own music as a true farewell to her fans. I think 'good for her'.

Now, if she does a lot of promotion and tours for this album, then I will be upset.....but if she simply wants to go out of the industry by releasing one last solo album of her own work, for the LOVE of god....why would we criticize her? I think it a perfectly classy way for her to end it all.

Kristin
Old 12-08-2002, 07:13 PM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by kristin
[B}I think it a perfectly classy way for her to end it all.

Kristin [/B]
Whoa....let's not put her in the grave just yet!
j/k LOL!
Old 12-08-2002, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Obviously I meant her career....lol.

Kristin