Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-25-2002, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Landslide

The Sheryl Crow edit of "Landslide" will be available on a limited edition of Home that will be out for the holidays. As far as I know, it'll be the only time it's commercially available.

The difference is very subtle- like everyone said before, it de-countrifies it a bit.

I work at Sony Music- and so I do a lot of work for the Chicks and personally, I like the cover a lot. I've always been a fan of theirs, sicne seeing them live the summer before Fly was released, and I think they do the song justice. It fleshes it out musically, and I think it's an apt tribute. More than that, it's doing EXTREMELY well on the charts, it's still climbing on the Hot 100, and that is very, very good for Stevie and the Mac. It's bringing new fans to the song and the band.

Billy Corgan's version of Landslide is terrible- I hate it. Tori Amos's is not as bad. I do like her new live version of Songbird, though- she's playing it at all her shows. (Including her current shows this week in Chicago- also, if there are any Tori fans, Sony/Epic is doing an in-store signing with her at the Borders on N. Michigan at Water Tower this Friday)
Old 11-25-2002, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
People may argue that Stevie DIDN'T co-write Bootylicious, but I say nonsense. It features a sample of her music, and therefore I feel songwriting credit goes to her. Just some ranting from me.
Actually, credit goes to Waddy Wachtel for that bad-ass lick. Really doesn't have anything to do with Stevie's songwriting as far as I can see.

Besides, who cares how high Fleetwood Mac songs go on the charts? The point is that we the fans like the songs, not the whole world. Look at what's on the radio these days... If a song is on the radio, does that make it crap? One can almost make the argument, n'est pas?
Old 11-25-2002, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Grainuaile
but there was a conspicuous lack of "country" instrumentation in the song.
The album version is definitely country. There's even a lazy, twangy guitar strum with alternating bass in addition to the banjo. Not sure if the video version is different. I haven't paid close attention to it.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

Carne, I was talking about Sheryl's remix. I heard it again, and definitely noticed the stripped banjo. Not to mention the use of a drum machine. I don't really like the remix.

BTW, I agree with you about the Bootylicious thing. If anyone deserves credit, it's Waddy. Stevie had nothing to do with it!
Old 11-28-2002, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Bootylicious
written by: Beyoncé Knowles/Rob Fusari/Falonte Moore/Stevie Nicks
If I recall correctly, Waddy said that he went into the studio and played the solo the way Jimmy Iovine told him to (with the inspiration coming from a Rolling Stones song, I believe).

I'm sure the solo is based on Stevie's original melody anyway (which, if she wrote it on a piano, probably sounded MUCH different... most likely sounding along the lines of the way keyboardist Christopher Cameron played it on the 'Mirror' tour).

Since sole songwriting credit for "Edge Of Seventeen," goes to Stevie... she therefore receives a songwriting credit on "Bootylicious" (though not on the remixes, which don't use the sample).

So, as far as the RIAA is concerned, Stevie is therefore the co-writer of a #1 single (her second #1).

Johnny Stew
Old 11-29-2002, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Right On Mr. Stew!

Check this out:

http://www.dotmusic.com/news/May2001/news19656.asp

Of course Stevie should and does get writing credits for Destiny Child's "Bootylicious".

Some other intersesting facts in the article.....Stevie Nicks can play guitar and she really does pull songs from her solo projects for Fleetwood Mac. Just thought a FEW of you may need some enlightening on the talents and generosity of Ms. Nicks.

Joe
Old 12-05-2002, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
This is in part good news and in part bad news. The bad news, or rather annoying news, is that, regardless of WHO covers Landslide, no one's is better than Stevie's and Lindsey's version from The Dance, and no one's ever will be. Not even the FM studio version (this is all my opinion btw). However, when Landslide was released during The Dance as a single, it peaked at #51. The Dixie Chicks are at #2 with Landslide! What the Hell gives here?

I work at a group of radio stations, and we have 2 country stations (am & fm) and a (now oldies) station that, at the time of the dance, played top 40, pop, soft rock.. etc etc etc.

I've noticed that anything the Dixie Chicks put out.. is GOING to do well. Even non-single releases that we play occasionally -- christmas tracks, special features-- always get great response. I don't think this has a damn thing to do with Fleetwood Mac or Stevie. I don't begrudge them [the chicks] success with the song at all... they could have totally butchered the song coughcoughsmashingpumpkinscoughcoughtoriamoscoughcough (imo.) but they didn't, and I think that ADDS to Stevie's credibility: she writes songs that can change genre and be equally meaningful/powerful/blahblah.

Plus.. I think that because people have heard Fleetwood Mac do Landslide before and the Dixie Chicks version is a new thing.. that might mean it will automatically do better on the charts than FM's '97 remake of their OWN '75 song.

As far as the videos... I think the bluegrass version (the country video) is a LOT better than Sheryl's remix. I like the Crow mix, but I think the banjo sounds REALLY cool on the song. Lindsey kinda uses a lil banjo style flavor when he plays it on guitar... I guess its just the arpeggiated chords.

Sarah
Old 12-06-2002, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Tori Amos's is not as bad. I do like her new live version of Songbird, though- she's playing it at all her shows. (Including her current shows this week in Chicago-

I went to Tori's show on Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving in Chicago and she did NOT play 'Songbird' or 'Landslide'. I was looking forward to a little Mac with Tori. She did however where a very Stevie-esque shawl.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting