User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
personally i don't think any of the three have been great in the lyrics department...

however, i look at how simple Go Your Own Way is and I think... those are great lyrics... take away the fact that i've heard it 100000000000 times... and it's such a great tune...

same with Dreams... those lyrics are a little more complex.. but not much....

then Christine with her very straightforward approach....

they are not Tori Amos for sure
Tori Amos is just a Kate Bush wannabe.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've listened to short clips from each song on Under the skin on iTunes.

I can't get past the vocal style which drives me mad.

I think Lindsey is a brilliant producer of individual songs but sometimes his decision making about albums is not so good, an excellant guitarist, a very good songwriter (and getting better) but his vocals always sound whiny to me.

Christine's style has remained constant, pop music for grown ups. Simple love songs, well produced and the voice which seems to have got better with age.

Some people (critics) get a bit sneery about that but I love it. I can put up with Lindsey in a FM context because his wilder excesses are normally reined in (by Christine which is why he's not sorry she left?)

Gail
Old 12-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
I am sorry if this has been discussed previously, but, I am curious, is it of popular opinion that the lack of sales for "In The Meantime" are/were due in part to Christine's absence from SYW?
That certainly didn't help. But I think it was more due to Chris herself. She didn't tour at all to support the album & she did only minimal promotion. She admitted in an interview that she wasn't expecting much in the way of sales and that she was fine with that. On the other hand, I would guess that Lindsey's album won't sell alot more than ITM, despite him doing more to promote it, and he is probably fine with that.

Also, she has never had any interest in a solo career. Most people, even casual Fleetwood Mac fans aren't all that familiar with her name, although her songs are probably the best known Fleetwood Mac songs. She's never been one to "toot her own horn", so to speak.

Last edited by macfan 57; 12-06-2006 at 06:57 AM..
Old 12-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I typed it out!
well thank you sir! i'm going to read it on my lunch break today.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
I remember that she was criticized in some of those reviews from Europe. But, there were some very nice reviews of the album in some of the mainstream U.S. publications like USA Today & People Magazine. It was those snooty, pretentious, artsy type critics that didn't like the album, although quite a few liked her voice though. Of course, those types of critics never like anything good anyway.
i never take stock in reviews- music, film, literature, or otherwise. sometimes they're a fun read, but really, these people are making money off of their own opinions! nowadays, there are so few critics who have an actual scholarly background in what they're writing about. it's ridiculous. other than the late, great pauline kael, i cannot think of any critic offhand who's reviews are based in something other than personal likes/dislikes.

Last edited by Aisling; 12-06-2006 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: my typing is just appalling, it really is.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, the way I see it, every critic these days is looking for the worst in some artists. Christine's style is straightforward and pleasant, and neither she or her fans should give a **** what some turkey thinks.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix4life View Post
it was a very key element to me in their whole vibe that made the trio of writers work -
linds and stevie are much hammier ( mmm ham ) and their stuff was much heavier - so christines underplayed romantic style was so refreshing . . . and sorely missed on SYW (cd and tour)- but im sure thats been mentioned before in here . . .
Yeah dude. Like I'd said before, as much as I like Lindsey and Stevie, I wish they'd quit it with the flowery, obtuse lingo, and get the hell on with whatever they're trying to say! Chris doesn't beat around the bush in her songs, and I like that. Don't f*ck around. I did miss her on SYW, for sure.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
Yeah dude. Like I'd said before, as much as I like Lindsey and Stevie, I wish they'd quit it with the flowery, obtuse lingo, and get the hell on with whatever they're trying to say! Chris doesn't beat around the bush in her songs, and I like that. Don't f*ck around. I did miss her on SYW, for sure.
well i didn't say i wanted them to stop - lol
i guess a time for everthing - but i love stevie and linds too - but to this day my fave choice of seeing them would be with the big mac intact - the five fireflies -
it would be my first choice but i really do love seeiing them in any format -
solo or as guests with other people -
chris stevie and linds wrote the soundtrack to my life - lol
Old 12-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
personally i don't think any of the three have been great in the lyrics department...

however, i look at how simple Go Your Own Way is and I think... those are great lyrics... take away the fact that i've heard it 100000000000 times... and it's such a great tune...

same with Dreams... those lyrics are a little more complex.. but not much....

then Christine with her very straightforward approach....

they are not Tori Amos for sure

Yes I, like you, prefer when these three songwriters stick to the straightforward stuff-not because I'm incapable of understanding denser lyrics
but because none of the three are particuarly gifted lyricists.

A song lke Go Your Own Way is so effective because, among other things, there is absolutely no pretentiousness in the lyric. It communicates in a real, visceral way, without needing to posture as ironic or clever.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
Tori Amos is just a Kate Bush wannabe.
haha one could definitely argue that